Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The eagerness with which Nunez is being written off and how irreplaceable Mane is reminds me of all the "where are the goals going to come from?" when your lot sold Nistelroy.

TheReligion

Abusive
The eagerness with which Nunez is being written off and how irreplaceable Mane is reminds me of all the "where are the goals going to come from?" when your lot sold Nistelroy.
You mean at the time when we had both Rooney and Ronaldo?

Don’t recall being that worried tbh

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The doubt on here about Nunez and our chances next season sound so hopeful on everyones part. I can just see the “ how does Klopp make these guys superstars?” posts once Nunez hits the ground running next season. As far as our chances up front we have Nunez at 22, Diaz and Jota at 25, Cavalho at 18, and finally Salah and Firminio at 30 with 2-3 years left in them. As far as Salah, who knows maybe Salah and Mane needed to get away from each other and maybe Mo will push on to greater heights. Exciting times considering it looks like the transfer market is one of the busiest in years and the competition is just getting better for most teams that is while others drag their feet and get left behind.

ariveded

Not many tall and quick forwards these days, he is the traditional type of forward, so will be interesting how he fits in today's dynamic football.

It wouldn't surprise me if Klopp doesn't even play him in the first few months. He has done similarly with Fabinho, Robertson

IrishRedDevil

The doubt on here about Nunez and our chances next season sound so hopeful on everyones part. I can just see the “ how does Klopp make these guys superstars?” posts once Nunez hits the ground running next season. As far as our chances up front we have Nunez at 22, Diaz and Jota at 25, Cavalho at 18, and finally Salah and Firminio at 30 with 2-3 years left in them. As far as Salah, who knows maybe Salah and Mane needed to get away from each other and maybe Mo will push on to greater heights. Exciting times considering it looks like the transfer market is one of the busiest in years and the competition is just getting better for most teams that is while others drag their feet and get left behind.
Mane is better than Nunez will ever be = downgrade.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
how did you come to that conclusion?

he moved from Uruguay to Spain and did well

then moved from Spain to Portugal and did well
It's just an opinion and there's clear statistical indications he was overperforming last season in the scoring departement. The problem his, if he doesn't score a lot, there's not much else he brings to the table outside of a lot of running.

I just don't think he's that good or that he will improve greatly but only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

Tarrou

It's just an opinion and there's clear statistical indications he was overperforming last season in the scoring departement. The problem his, if he doesn't score a lot, there's not much else he brings to the table outside of a lot of running.

I just don't think he's that good or that he will improve greatly but only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
I hope you're right and he's shit. Liverpool seem to be on top of the data situation, though.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I hope you're right and he's shit. Liverpool seem to be on top of the data situation, though.
That's what surprises me, because unless you think he's a better finisher than prime Ronaldo or Messi (he's not), there's no way to miss the fact that he was clearly overperforming. Now maybe they consider that even with a stable xG conversion it'll be enough for Liverpool since he'll get better chances but I still don't know how they'll manage to make him fit in this squad. It'll be very interesting to watch though.

OleGunnar20

I think he'll do fine, but not live up to the insane levels of Mane / Salah. No doubt overpaid massively too. Nice to see someone else doing so for a change !

TheReligion

Abusive
Ronaldo wasn’t much of a goal scorer at that point to be fair.

I remember being very excited by Saha as the main man, however
Ronaldo got 12 and Rooney 19 the season before. I’ll take your point but I don’t think I was panicking about where the goals would come from as @B20 suggested.

It was clear at this point both were on their way to becoming superstars

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You mean at the time when we had both Rooney and Ronaldo?

Don’t recall being that worried tbh
I was more referring to how much neutrals and fans of other clubs were talking it up.

Bobski

Ronaldo wasn’t much of a goal scorer at that point to be fair.

I remember being very excited by Saha as the main man, however
Rightly so, as a fit Saha was a superb all round striker. A threat in behind but equally good with his back to goal bringing others into play, could run with the ball, pull wide and set others up. If Saha had 2-3 fit years with Rooney and Ronaldo off him Utd probably never bother with Tevez and Berbatov and they wouldn't have been any weaker.

I would take a fit Saha for 50 games a season over Tevez every time. Unfortunately though his body let him down.

iamking

This is correct. They have a data driven transfer policy, doubt if he will turn out to be a complete dud. The most we can expect is, he wont match Mane/Salah's standard as those standards are very high and even if he did, its going to take him a few seasons to take-off and that should stutter them. Also, Mane/Salah/Firmino all peaked together. That's not the current situation. By the time he peaks, Salah could leave and again there might be a big void for them even if he takes-off by then.

Also Salah, as good as he has been, has a selfish streak in him. There will be teething issues considering Salah's ego. For a younger player from a different league, its going to be harder for him to go gung-ho without resistance from the likes of Salah, Jota, Diaz. A bit like the Coutinho situation, their front three were flailing because it had to go through him as he was their top dog! Same happened for us with RVN not accepting Cr7.

So its not all cut and dry. Another rebuild phase, which might prolong for 2 more years for them (Due to Salah leaving again next season). So there is hope that it might take longer for them to get back and we could catch up or go close by then, why NOT.

Last edited:

Conor

I guess stepping back and seeing the body of work by Liverpool’s ownership is more useful.

Staggeringly impressive.

Take the Coutinho deal out of this, which was one of the most nonsensical deals in football history, and it looks a lot more 'normal'. Still impressive, you're obviously a well run club.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Take the Coutinho deal out of this, which was one of the most nonsensical deals in football history, and looks a lot more 'normal'. Still impressive, you're obviously a well run club.
A new spin on the "if you take away their best players they're nothing special" argument.

Conor

A new spin on the "if you take away their best players they're nothing special" argument.
I think it's pretty fair to at least mention a massive outlier deal, where you were essentially handed over 100m for a player worth nowhere near that, by a club that is now on the brink of collapse, due to their idiotic spending. Those sorts of things don't happen regularly, any analysis of a set of things would consider outliers like that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Was chatting with my Liverpool supporting mate this weekend on this. He is convinced Nunez is the best signing Liverpool could have made, and Haaland genuinely pales in comparison. When I suggested Nunez, even if a good signing, would still have a hard job offsetting Mane's output, he completely scoffed it off.

Really really hope he turns out to be a dud signing.

romufc

Was chatting with my Liverpool supporting mate this weekend on this. He is convinced Nunez is the best signing Liverpool could have made, and Haaland genuinely pales in comparison. When I suggested Nunez, even if a good signing, would still have a hard job offsetting Mane's output, he completely scoffed it off.

I feel the same way, speaking to a dew Liverpool fan mates, they all think he is going to score 30 plus without fail.

I really hope he flops for them.

meamth

Ronaldo got 12 and Rooney 19 the season before. I’ll take your point but I don’t think I was panicking about where the goals would come from as @B20 suggested.

It was clear at this point both were on their way to becoming superstars
Rooney was also Messi level hype at that moment. Top scorer in the Euro, proper teenage sensation.

Yeah, I can recall, we're not worried at all.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Has Haaland being injured for last season made people forgot how good he is :lol: , but then again Liverpool fans believe that everything they have is the best. From the coach to toilet cleaner:lol:

mctrials23

Haaland is the far better player, its just his injury record that is suspect. His tranfer fee would be miles higher than Darwins as well if he moved under normal conditions.

I'm in the camp that thinks Nunez is overrated and has some massive holes in his game but lets be honest, Klopp will probably not play him for 3 months and when he does come into the team he will be fat Ronaldo the second coming. Hes got a horrible knack for extracting the absolute best from a lot of seemingly average players.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's pretty fair to at least mention a massive outlier deal, where you were essentially handed over 100m for a player worth nowhere near that, by a club that is now on the brink of collapse, due to their idiotic spending. Those sorts of things don't happen regularly, any analysis of a set of things would consider outliers like that.
You are judging the transfer on how it worked out moreso than what he was at the time of the sale.

He was not worth that to Barcelona who had no idea how to use him, or even had an actual use for him. He was the best player in the league that season when he was sold and our best player at a time when Salah was on his way to breaking the scoring record. And we very much did not want to sell him.

Sure it doesn't happen every day. They also gave us 75m for Suarez a few years before that and that was a fabulous deal for them.

The main outlier to me is that this was the last time our best player left against our will for a high fee.

Conor

You are judging the transfer on how it worked out moreso than what he was at the time of the sale.

He was not worth that to Barcelona who had no idea how to use him, or even had an actual use for him. He was the best player in the league that season when he was sold and our best player at a time when Salah was on his way to breaking the scoring record. And we very much did not want to sell him.

Sure it doesn't happen every day. They also gave us 75m for Suarez a few years before that and that was a fabulous deal for them.

The main outlier to me is that this was the last time our best player left against our will for a high fee.
It was universally talked about as a ridiculous deal, my opinion was not impacted by hindsight in any way, I think he was the second most expensive player of all time for feck sake! Also, even if he had been worth every penny, it's still a huge outlier that skews the truth behind those numbers.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Definitely impressive but they don’t give out titles for that sadly.
They give out trophies for winning them which Liverpool have done a decent amount of over the past 4 seasons. Given the starting point for Klopp and the team that sits around him, it's lightyears from where the club was a decade ago. The fact we're talking about Liverpool winning and missing out on leagues and CLs is a testament to the journey since 2016. Expectations are now so different that winning two domestic trophies is regarded - by some - as a disappointment. Overwhelmingly positive stuff.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
From the youtube video Darwin Nunez is very tall and has really good pace for his size. His workrate is also very good and he does lots of pressing. He can also play as target man in the box and bring others into play. On paper it looks very promising.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
From the youtube video Darwin Nunez is very tall and has really good pace for his size. His workrate is also very good and he does lots of pressing. He can also play as target man in the box and bring others into play. On paper it looks very promising.
He's literally never even averaged 15 passes per match