Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Steve Bruce

Yeah, but Arsenal/Liverpool/City etc. seem to get a free run at transfers and their poor buys don't get called out.

Nunez has 5 more goals than Hojlund this season. Hojlund has been injured, erratic and played in a low scoring, disjointed mess of a team. He's also about 4 or 5 years younger.

Meanwhile, Nunez has played in a free scoring team that have gone deep in 4 competitions and has managed a paltry 18 goals overall. It's pretty clear that Liverpool didn't get the player they thought they were getting.
Not to mention, Rasmus played in the CL and was top scorer at point of exit.

Nunez was playing against barely championship standard teams in the Europe.

I would guess the amount of games scored in would be very similar as Rasmus doesn't score multiple goals in a game often whereas nunez would do fairly frequently

BarstoolProphet

The massive chance where he stood alone on about five yards and decided to absolutely thundercnut the ball straight at Henderson really sums him up as a player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The massive chance where he stood alone on about five yards and decided to absolutely thundercnut the ball straight at Henderson really sums him up as a player.
Yeah, his finishing is just too bad for this level. He’s picked up a fair few goals this season by twatting the ball and somehow finding a a corner but that’s not sustainable. He just lacks the class in front of goal you need to lead the line at a big club.

Shinjch

Just a really bad bit of business done on him. The longer he stays there, the better too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nunez actually reminds me a fair bit of Forlan when he was over here.

Finishing is just not there for the most part regardless of what else he does over the pitch and if Liverpool want to remain in contention for the serious trophies he won't cut it for them next season.

Mike Smalling

One of the main problems Liverpool will face over the next years could be trying to replace Salah, Mané and Firmino with Nunez, Diaz and Gakpo. That's a solid step down across all three spots.

Nunez is being ridiculed quite a bit here, but I honestly think he'd be fine as a rotation option for Liverpool's system. He plays with a lot of intensity, pace and power. But they need to have someone like Salah to consistently put the chances away.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
One of the main problems Liverpool will face over the next years could be trying to replace Salah, Mané and Firmino with Nunez, Diaz and Gakpo. That's a solid step down across all three spots.

Nunez is being ridiculed quite a bit here, but I honestly think he'd be fine as a rotation option for Liverpool's system. He plays with a lot of intensity, pace and power. But they need to have someone like Salah to consistently put the chances away.
Expensive rotation option.

Robbie Boy

Thing is, people were duped into believing that Diaz and Nunez were worldies based on what Klopp had done with previous players. I never saw it with Diaz, despite the weird early hype. Nunez is definitely decent, but ultimately that's about it, decent. For what he cost, you would expect more than that. As for Gakpo? I think most knew he was a wee bit shite all along.

Mike Smalling

Expensive rotation option.
Yeah, I forgot that bit. They clearly overpaid.

Thing is, people were duped into believing that Diaz and Nunez were worldies based on what Klopp had done with previous players. I never saw it with Diaz, despite the weird early hype. Nunez is definitely decent, but ultimately that's about it, decent. For what he cost, you would expect more than that. As for Gakpo? I think most knew he was a wee bit shite all along.
Agree. I was partially on the hype train for Diaz in the beginning as well. I thought he looked like a terrific player, but it has since become clear that the end product isn't really there. It's only really the transfer fee that separates Nunez and Diaz in terms of how good transfers they are for Liverpool. Given a choice between them for the same price, I'm not sure who I'd pick.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You just know we'd have been mugged off weekly if we signed him
The idea that Klopp's had to make do with bargain-bin signings still permeates a lot of the discussion around this Liverpool side, so when one of his signings (no matter how expensive) are a bit shit, it just sort of gets passed over. Meanwhile, if one of our signings doesn't do very well, their transfer fee gets higher with each passing week as a seemingly endless stream of unrealised add-ons get included in the reported figure.

£75 million on van Dijk and £67 million on Alisson can probably go down as money well spent, but then you've got the reported £40 million on Oxlade-Chamberlain, £53 million on Keita, £47 million on Diaz, £64 million on Nunez and £40 million on Gakpo, who are all, to varying degrees, of questionable value.

Alpha 1

Nunez actually reminds me a fair bit of Forlan when he was over here.

Finishing is just not there for the most part regardless of what else he does over the pitch and if Liverpool want to remain in contention for the serious trophies he won't cut it for them next season.
Forlan was really wasted here. When Ruud was injured and he got a run of games, he started scoring but once Ruud returned, he was benched. He was a player who needed a run of games to get into for. As we found out later, he was a really good striker