Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Doesn’t make sense when you signed him off one season, he hasn’t got the credit in the bank for a wait and see if he adapts approach. We can only judge him in what we see and what we’re seeing is shit
Yeah rival fans are more than welcome to make hay while this settling in period happens.

From my own point of view there's plenty of reasons to trust that this is just an initial difficulty with fitting into a team that has a number of problems anyway.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah rival fans are more than welcome to make hay while this settling in period happens.

From my own point of view there's plenty of reasons to trust that this is just an initial difficulty with fitting into a team that has a number of problems anyway.
I get that we've had a limited number of games to base it on, but doesn't look good so far.

The additional point for me is how he's affecting other players/their roles, particularly Salah (playing wider).

This isn't hindsight but when he was bought, I wasn't sure how he'd fit Liverpool's style.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He's the type of player you'd spend £15-25m on in the mid 00s, to chuck on and get you a goal if you're chasing the game.

To make him the spearhead of your attack and spend upwards of £80m isn't good business.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's the type of player you'd spend £15-25m on in the mid 00s, to chuck on and get you a goal if you're chasing the game.

To make him the spearhead of your attack and spend upwards of £80m isn't good business.
You know, a club with money's a little like the mule with a football. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it.

cyberman

They are because we can only judge on performances. It’s not Thiago who had worldies for Barca and Bayern, it’s a player signed off the back of one season in Portugal who looks dogshit, who Fans of Portuguese fans called dogshit as well.
It’s a shit striker struggling to score goals in a better league than the second tier he joined from. Why would we wait and see if he can perform better than he has ever has before? Where’s the logic in that?
This is the Nunez everybody bar Liverpool fans and hysterical Utd fans described, this is him. A poor man’s Lukaku, The Uruguayan Andy Carroll.
He is exactly who we were told he is

Harold_Giles

Last season at Benfica this guy scored 32 goals from xG of 19, across the league and CL.
This kind of over-performance is not sustainable

I thought he'd be a lethal finisher that needed to work on his overall game.
After seeing his first few matches with Liverpool, scuffing the ball most chances he gets, it's quite clear to see that he needs a lot of work on every aspect of the game.

It's glorious.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Last season at Benfica this guy scored 32 goals from xG of 19, across the league and CL.
This kind of over-performance is not sustainable

I thought he'd be a lethal finisher that needed to work on his overall game.
After seeing his first few matches with Liverpool, scuffing the ball most chances he gets, it's quite clear to see that he needs a lot of work on every aspect of the game.

It's glorious.
I'm waiting for an air shot.

Or another headbutt. Either will be good

Anustart89

IMO, he's good at certain aspects of the game, such as his movement and tenacity in the defensive part of the game. However, he's just so bad at the basics of the game, ie getting the ball under control and progressing it without giving the defender a chance to recover. Depending on whether those deficiencies can be ironed out I'm thinking we might be looking at the attacking version of AWB, where teams are going to double mark those around him and just let him have the ball and nick it off him.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Still think he'll come good. You're judging a player who has played for a month.
Some players take their time to settle

Judas

Open to offers
Still think he'll come good. You're judging a player who has played for a month.
Some players take their time to settle
But he never looked particularly amazing at his previous club either? He's had one season where he wildly over performed. I think there's hope more than expectation from Liverpool with this signing. Fair play to Klopp if he can craft him into a beast that fits them, because it'll take a lot of work.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Your opinion from watching him is the hill I'm willing to die on.

Liverpool bought Mane after he had a great game against them with Southampton, so it looks like they tried to repeat the trick after Nunez's performance against them last season but they may just have got swindled.
That's a good point that they do this a lot - strikes me as a bit egotistical (i.e. if he can do it against us he can do it against anyone!)

The number of people who immediately assumed Darwin is awesome because of that tie was hilarious - so as you say maybe Liverpool got suckered. Personally I was having panic attacks when Chelsea were linked to him haha.

You think?
That's the only basis for that argument as far as I know? He was a laughingstock his first year in Portugal, especially since he was replacing Joao Felix.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Ridiculously over the top thread but to be expected I suppose seen as we even do it to our own players on here.

Might end up being unbelievable. Might not. Might be inbetween. Stay tuned for more hot takes.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Scuffing shots and missing sitters tend to be habitual and not something that can be ‘settled in’
Ofcourse you can settle into that FFS.

Andy Cole couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo when he signed for Utd.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
When he scuffed that chance and then tried to pump up the crowd :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ever the optimist but seems like a similar situation to Thiago when he first signed for me. Shown flashes of what he offers - even when the attacking build up is stuttering he's getting himself into great positions for chances - but has come into a dysfunctional side and will need at least half a season to adapt. People will write him off because of his price-tag (like Thiago was written off because of his age) but can't really judge until February/March at the earliest.
What an extremely weird comparison. They are nothing alike and the reasons behind them struggling are different. Thiago was a proven world-class player who had to adapt his playing style to a more dynamic and physical nature of Premier League and Klopp's demands. His talent and, most importantly, his technique, vision, passing, shooting, attitude etc. was never in question — fitness was a little bit.

Núñez main issues are his technical limitations — it's not something that a grown professional player can drastically improve. Adaptation comes from better understanding your teammates on and off-the-ball movement — and this is something that Núñez doesn't have any issues with, his runs are brilliant. Him adapting to Premier League won't make his first touch of shooting better.

Teja

So can we pat ourselves on the back for not overpaying for him yet?

Or are we waiting to see if Antony comes good before we can do that?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Deep inside I'm still hoping Klopp can turn him half-decent before the World Cup.

Couldn't give a crap otherwise.

pascell

Ever the optimist but seems like a similar situation to Thiago when he first signed for me. Shown flashes of what he offers - even when the attacking build up is stuttering he's getting himself into great positions for chances - but has come into a dysfunctional side and will need at least half a season to adapt. People will write him off because of his price-tag (like Thiago was written off because of his age) but can't really judge until February/March at the earliest.
The issues with Thiago were his fitness, the issues with Nunez are his natural goalscoring abilities, the two are incomparable.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Keita didn't arrive into a dysfunctional team in a moment of transition. His first game was a 4-0 win against West Ham, the season we got 97 points, and he looked absolutely perfect for our midfield in that game. Obviously injuries then started.
A dysfunctional team that was close to winning the quadruple the season before, but due to losing one player are now in transition?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
They were due a proper duff signing.

IMO They bought him on the strength of him scoring against them - likely because they are so up their own arses about how fecking great they think they are that scoring against them must mean he is the best striker in the world not currently already playing for them.

I am also taking shameful joy in seeing Thiago not yet having won the couple of easy titles he thought he'd be getting because he joined the reigning PL champions and recent CL winners and assumed with him, further PL and CL wins were nailed on.

BlueHaze

I will wait until the season is over, look how many goals he stands on and then judge but as it stands right now oh my, I would be worried if I was a Liverpool fan.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
If he’s a total flop then maybe we won’t have to pay all the add-ons :cool:

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
They were due a proper duff signing.

IMO They bought him on the strength of him scoring against them - likely because they are so up their own arses about how fecking great they think they are that scoring against them must mean he is the best striker in the world not currently already playing for them.

I am also taking shameful joy in seeing Thiago not yet having won the couple of easy titles he thought he'd be getting because he joined the reigning PL champions and recent CL winners and assumed with him, further PL and CL wins were nailed on.
The Thiago part got me, I'm in with you :keano:

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
What an extremely weird comparison. They are nothing alike and the reasons behind them struggling are different. Thiago was a proven world-class player who had to adapt his playing style to a more dynamic and physical nature of Premier League and Klopp's demands. His talent and, most importantly, his technique, vision, passing, shooting, attitude etc. was never in question — fitness was a little bit.

Núñez main issues are his technical limitations — it's not something that a grown professional player can drastically improve. Adaptation comes from better understanding your teammates on and off-the-ball movement — and this is something that Núñez doesn't have any issues with, his runs are brilliant. Him adapting to Premier League won't make his first touch of shooting better.
I was making a broad comparison around circumstance, not saying they're exactly alike. The first six months of Thiago's time, when Liverpool struggled drastically because of wider issues, was repeatedly framed that Thiago didn't have the physical ability for the Premier League - he couldn't tackle, he was too slow, he plays pointless pretty passes that slow Liverpool's attack down, he's not suited to playing the six in the Premier League - and that he was a strange fit for Klopp's team and affecting the balance of a previously successful system.

Nunez obviously doesn't have Thiago's history, but the broad circumstance of a player adapting to a new team while a lot of the other moving parts are suffering is the same. Like with Thiago his arrival calls for a slight change in the system - which is natural, and Klopp's approach to attack has been transitioning constantly since he arrived - and a number of injuries has hampered that adaptation. I'd say the fact he's only getting one/two chances a game despite making consistently excellent runs, and the fact the team are too happy in playing it long to him in his cameos despite that not looking like his game, suggests there is a need for adaptation.

Totally understand you lot taking the mick now (as you did when Thiago first joined and he was the repeated figure of ridicule) but as a Liverpool fan I find it weird when some of our own are writing him off. Wouldn't be the first player to look totally unsuited in the first few months.