Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why is he laughing about not understanding Klopp when he’s been fecking shite so far? If he’s scoring some goals then fine but when you’ve scored 2 in 8 and already have a sending off to your name he shouldn’t be treating things as a joke. Seems like an eejit.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Fair point - he's at 2.3 shots in the box per 90 for his career and 0.6 goals from those shots per 90 in his career. So yes, you'd expect him to improve finishing-wise if nowhere else.

The fundamental issue though is that Liverpool under Klopp have never really struggled due to a lack of finishing. Feels to me like adding such a colossal negative in terms of build-up play in exchange for someone who might be but probably isn't actually a better finisher than Mane is a bizarre decision.
The second paragraph is the key point. Ultimately we have bigger issues than Nunez this season, but even if he does come good unless he’s scoring an exceptional amount and winning key decisive games, he will always be a bit of a hindrance at times.

I actually think he’s going to be a very good player and have a successful career (relatively). I just don’t think we are a good fit for him.

Just going to have to pray I’m wrong and that it works out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If I’m being fair and transparent he actually played decent yesterday. Got into some good positions and made some good runs. Mcgregor had a super game or Darwin could have at least scored one.

The new tactical set up seemed to help him….or maybe it was just rangers…
McGregor didn’t have to do much to save those shots. Nunez kept hitting them directly at him, straight down the centre of the goal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The second paragraph is the key point. Ultimately we have bigger issues than Nunez this season, but even if he does come good unless he’s scoring an exceptional amount and winning key decisive games, he will always be a bit of a hindrance at times.

I actually think he’s going to be a very good player and have a successful career (relatively). I just don’t think we are a good fit for him.

Just going to have to pray I’m wrong and that it works out.
Agreed with that - and frankly I think anyone who watched him in Portugal would have said the same as well. It was a bizarre fit from day 1.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
For years I've had to listen to Liverpool fans saying that Klopp is statistically better than any Fergie team ever because points.

Now I'm hearing those same fans tell me stats aren't everything and Nunez looks the part.

Chief123

For years I've had to listen to Liverpool fans saying that Klopp is statistically better than any Fergie team ever because points.

Now I'm hearing those same fans tell me stats aren't everything and Nunez looks the part.
To be fair I’ve not come across a single Liverpool fan who’s thought he looks the part. Every single one I know say he’s shit.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
To be fair I’ve not come across a single Liverpool fan who’s thought he looks the part. Every single one I know say he’s shit.
The sensible one I know says that.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
It was a terrifically bad transfer. However, we cut our losses on him at the first opportunity so overall there's a big hit on our books but we only had to suffer with him playing for us for a year. If Nunez ends up a similar flop (that's a big IF as of now) then I'm not sure Liverpool would look to get rid and replace him with a better option after just a year.
Isn't Lukaku coming back next year or did I miss something. From what i heard it's a dry loan so you may still se him back next year.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Seems exceedingly unlikely. He'll be back on loan at Inter with an easily achievable obligate purchase that kicks in summer 2024.
Summer 24, He will be 31 then. Most likely you guys will receive a small transfer fee and would have to subsidise some of his wages. Otherwise I can't see it happening.
All this if he plays well this season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Summer 24, He will be 31 then. Most likely you guys will receive a small transfer fee and would have to subsidise some of his wages. Otherwise I can't see it happening.
All this if he plays well this season.
Oh we'll receive a pittance. Lukaku already agreed a massive wage cut to return to Inter on loan, hence why we were able to get a €10m loan fee for him this year. The same thing is set to happen next year, but given that there is more time to negotiate terms it's likely there will be a cheap obligate purchase clause.

Valencia Shin Crosses

finishing can be worked on though? Salah is a prime example, when he was at Chelsea he was an average finisher at best, then he turned it on in serie a and turned it to a whole new level when he returned back in the premier league
Salah also has always had elite technique though. Nunez doesn't at all. You can help mold a great technical player into a good finisher, but it's much more difficult with someone who isn't good technically that already isn't a natural in front of goal.

Anderson_7_

He has arrived. That goal should give him a much-needed confidence boost. Expect many more goals to follow.

FujiVice

Rotten performance and a goal. When they needed him in that second half, he was dogshit.

prateik

I saw him at FT.. thought he had been taken off at some point.. barely saw him in the 2nd half.. wow.

Flexdegea

He has arrived. That goal should give him a much-needed confidence boost. Expect many more goals to follow.

:lol:

Love these sort of posts mid match.

He was absolute keek. Scored a tap in, didn't nothing else, classic lukaku performance

RedOrange

Just give Klopp some time to teach him how the offside rule works and he'll be very good. It could take a few seasons but he will get there.

Acquire Me

Scored a tap in every striker in the Premier League must and should score. Other than that he looked far from good enough for a Premier League club. He might be great in the future, but he is far from ready now.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
If that was a Haaland it would've been a great performance according to you guys. Didn't see too much wrong from him today.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Today showed his pros and cons. He had a good game but his limitations were shown up.

cyberman

If that was a Haaland it would've been a great performance according to you guys. Didn't see too much wrong from him today.
He never held the ball up, never brought a threat through the middle when needed and didn’t bring anybody else into play.
Darwin would work as a goalscorer but I said at the start of the season that they’re in trouble if the play goes through such an average player outside of goals he may score.

Anderson_7_

You took the words right out of my mouth. Nunez doesn't have a proper system around him. If Liverpool build it just around him, with players feeding him, he will feast just like Haaland. There's not much difference between them and Nunez even looks better outside of goalscoring.

Judas

Open to offers
He's just massively average. The sort of striker who may look good at a lower level, but then they make step up to a top team and all the flaws become obvious.

If Klopp turns him into a world beater, fair fecks.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Nunez doesn't have a proper system around him. If Liverpool build it just around him, with players feeding him, he will feast just like Haaland. There's not much difference between them and Nunez even looks better outside of goalscoring.
This is absolutely mental. I know every opinion is valid in a way, but surely this one is illegal.