Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Varun

Staff
It's really not. Of course it doesn't mean they literally start every game 1-0 up, but the point stands. He's been extremely productive to the point that having him on the pitch generally means goals for Liverpool
Yes, he's been productive and tbf to him, he's done pretty well so doesn't really need metrics being misinterpreted to make him look good

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Yes, he's been productive and tbf to him, he's done pretty well so doesn't really need metrics being misinterpreted to make him look good
I think the oversimplification giorno's made is quite apt to counter the notion that "he's not actually made Liverool better even though he scores goal".
Especially on the backdrop of Sadio moving to Bayern.
Salah and the rest of the front line is still figuring out how to work with him.
But the presence of that wild horse/donkey on the china shop has clearly made took some attention of the clerks.
Now it's how to profit out of it.
That frontline is 1 year older with Salah and Firmino over 30, something has to change to keep them competitive.
And Darwin seems responsive to coaching as his overall play is clearly improving; multiple on-a-platter setups for his team mates in successive matches now.
It definitely makes that £85m price tag much more palatable by the day.

The Irish Connection

A few people backtracking on their comments about him being a complete flop already! Now it's 'he was always going to score goals, but he's a donkey'.

Silly really to write off any player after a couple of months. Especially one who has produced good numbers in a decent league previously and was highly rated. I'd imagine he'll be a key player for Liverpool in the next few years, but yeah he will have some flaws but if he reaches 20 goals every season which he looks like he'll do then he'll be a good signing.
Yes, I think I jinxed it by jumping the gun. He’s going to be brilliant.

Bobski

Although I see the similarities, I think something he has on Lukaku is his work rate. I can't comment on his work in Italy as I've not seen him enough there, but in the PL he was very hesitant when it came to pressing and he lacked any real intensity when it came to this aspect. Nunez is really effective in this aspect, his physical qualities like his stamina and mobility really allow him to commit to applying pressure to the opposition, and he's good at tracking runners.
Yes, Nunez is a constant threat and problem for defenders even with erratic technique. Puts huge physical pressure on, very quick and strong and constantly makes runs that stretch the defensive unit and creates space for others. Lukaku is a much better finisher but just as erratic in his link up and doesn't play with the same intensity.

Rather have Nunez.

Varun

Staff
I think the oversimplification giorno's made is quite apt to counter the notion that "he's not actually made Liverool better even though he scores goal".
Especially on the backdrop of Sadio moving to Bayern.
Salah and the rest of the front line is still figuring out how to work with him.
But the presence of that wild horse/donkey on the china shop has clearly made took some attention of the clerks.
Now it's how to profit out of it.
That frontline is 1 year older with Salah and Firmino over 30, something has to change to keep them competitive.
And Darwin seems responsive to coaching as his overall play is clearly improving; multiple on-a-platter setups for his team mates in successive matches now.
It definitely makes that £85m price tag much more palatable by the day.
It's not oversimplification, it's plain bollocks to interpret the metric that way. If I was a Pool fan, I wouldn't really care about he's rated on a rival forum and being a Utd fan, I couldn't care less about the discussion. Only commented on the initial post because of the tragic interpretation of the metric.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not oversimplification, it's plain bollocks to interpret the metric that way. If I was a Pool fan, I wouldn't really care about he's rated on a rival forum and being a Utd fan, I couldn't care less about the discussion. Only commented on the initial post because of the tragic interpretation of the metric.
It isn't. The guy directly contributes over 1 goal per 90 minutes on the pitch. If he doesn't contribute to a goal in 1 game, that most likely means he'll get 2 in the next. Overall, as a generalization, having him on the pitch means Liverpool are likely to score at least 1 goal.

Varun

Staff
It isn't. The guy directly contributes over 1 goal per 90 minutes on the pitch. If he doesn't contribute to a goal in 1 game, that most likely means he'll get 2 in the next. Overall, as a generalization, having him on the pitch means Liverpool are likely to score at least 1 goal.
Here's what you said

He's averaging over 1 goal+assist per game. Every time he's on the pitch liverpool start 1-0 up. Of course he's worth the money
If you think that's the right way to interpret the metric, add it up for salah diaz jota etc and then tell me if them starting means Pool start 4-0 up every game. That's without even getting to the likes of TAA Robertson etc

Conor

He's averaging over 1 goal+assist per game. Every time he's on the pitch liverpool start 1-0 up. Of course he's worth the money
This is countered by Liverpool starting every game 1-0 down, due to corruption and the manc refs. So he's actually basically useless.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
So we should all change our opinion based on next 72 minuted? Because he's literally played 972 minutes so far this year.
So you've written him off after playing only 972 minutes in a new league?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So you've written him off after playing only 972 minutes in a new league?
I am not exactly sure what written off means in this case, but I don't think he is anywhere near as good as someone like Mane, Salah, etc., and will become world class player by any means. In a high goalscoring team he can score many goals but that's it, we've seen lesser player do that.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
I am not exactly sure what written off means in this case, but I don't think he is anywhere near as good as someone like Mane, Salah, etc., and will become world class player by any means. In a high goalscoring team he can score many goals but that's it, we've seen lesser player do that.
At his peak, Sadio was:
25G/6A in 50 matches 18/19
22G/12A in 47 matches 19/20
Here we saw his mooted transfer value skyrocketed to north £120m.

At this rate, I'm pretty confident that Darwin will reach 20G/5A this season.
His form is on the up.
I'd say this is pretty close, maiden PL season and all that.
Hopefully he doesn't get injured in WC; watching EPL with him in the mix is amusing to say the least.

Your view is different, that's okay too.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At his peak, Sadio was:
25G/6A in 50 matches 18/19
22G/12A in 47 matches 19/20
Here we saw his mooted transfer value skyrocketed to north £120m.

At this rate, I'm pretty confident that Darwin will reach 20G/5A this season.
His form is on the up.
I'd say this is pretty close, maiden PL season and all that.
Hopefully he doesn't get injured in WC; watching EPL with him in the mix is amusing to say the least.

Your view is different, that's okay too.
Your view is purely statistical, my view is watching games and seeing how he improves Liverpool, and I don't see much besides the goals which will eventuall dry up. For example, I don't remember many forward players in history of football that were great players and looked so out of depth technically.

Also, his stats aren't that impressive, 5 goals and two assists in 600 minutes is not that great, and it's a small number to even consider it valuable stat. He is also not playing full games which influences his stats so far too.

TheReligion

Abusive
A few people backtracking on their comments about him being a complete flop already! Now it's 'he was always going to score goals, but he's a donkey'.

Silly really to write off any player after a couple of months. Especially one who has produced good numbers in a decent league previously and was highly rated. I'd imagine he'll be a key player for Liverpool in the next few years, but yeah he will have some flaws but if he reaches 20 goals every season which he looks like he'll do then he'll be a good signing.
So you think he’s a 100m player from what you’ve seen?

Many seem to be missing the point. He may well end up scoring some goals but they’ve literally paid double his value. That’s the amusing thing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think he could end up scoring a lot of goals. He's always in the thick of things.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
9 goals and 2 assists in a struggling side isn't bad. His all-round play is improving as well. I'm a bit annoyed that the World Cup is on now. He was just starting to look like he was settling in.

I think he's equaled Mane's record from this time last season as well.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I think he could end up scoring a lot of goals. He's always in the thick of things.
Depends how functional we are as a team, but I agree. 20-25 in all competitions would be my guess if he doesn't headbutt anyone else.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So you think he’s a 100m player from what you’ve seen?

Many seem to be missing the point. He may well end up scoring some goals but they’ve literally paid double his value. That’s the amusing thing.
Depends on how many goals he will score

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I always thought he was worth a punt at £40M. Useful squaddie ar worst, which is much better than we've got from Donny and certainly something we could use now.

Would love to be proved wrong and have him start all World Cup games 1-0 up like @giorno says.

IceManFtw

The majority of fans on this site know he's a decent player and will go on to be more than decent, even for £10000m (the popular figure usually quoted here).

The problem arises when you start a WUM online (@WeePat ) you get the masses of MAGA followers not knowing the difference between reality and the joke. The alternate reality then becomes the norm. GERRONWIVIT! :wenger:
this you?

He is truly our Maguire. The opposition fans absolutely love him and the money we spent on him. And for good reason too.

Unlike with Maguire and Utd Cafe fans I'm not going to spend two seasons doing mental gymnastics on that hill. He's shit and we see it. We see it in two months.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Your view is purely statistical, my view is watching games and seeing how he improves Liverpool, and I don't see much besides the goals which will eventuall dry up. For example, I don't remember many forward players in history of football that were great players and looked so out of depth technically.

Also, his stats aren't that impressive, 5 goals and two assists in 600 minutes is not that great, and it's a small number to even consider it valuable stat. He is also not playing full games which influences his stats so far too.
I'm curious on how you objectively assess a striker/forward.
As the figure rises to upper region, those G/A stats becomes more and more relevant as a differential on how good a striker/forward is.
Scoring 20+ generally signify that you are elite players, just like Son Heung Min last season (24G/10A in 45M).

Why not use Darwin's full stats, the figure is readily available?
He is 9G/2A in 941 mins.
This are good number close to midway of a season, he missed 3 games due to suspensions.

Gazza

I hate this binary thinking. Like, it’s totally possible for Darwin Nunez both to be a donkey and to be not a donkey at the same time. It’s a matter of stats and eye test, not either or.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I hate this binary thinking. Like, it’s totally possible for Darwin Nunez both to be a donkey and to be not a donkey at the same time. It’s a matter of stats and eye test, not either or.
I like this philosophocal approach. If a Darwin headbutts a defender in an empty forest, did it actually happen?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
this you?
It is. The second comment is tongue in cheek. But the first one I was clear that his control of a football was shit. However, if he scores 20-25 accidental goals off his arse he's still useful and I'll take it.

Others were taking his (often incorrectly stated/inflated) price tag to start a massive wind up. Some started seeing Nunez might have something to offer if not ball control. Others have entrenched themselves MAGA style into the original WUM and can't seem to find a way out. That's the bit I'm talking about here.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Nunez is world class. He might not score in the next 10 games therefore diminishing his rep. Just like Maguire might win the world cup by saving ten goals off his arse. But it's best to find middle ground.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I like this philosophocal approach. If a Darwin headbutts a defender in an empty forest, did it actually happen?
If Darwin scores goals that he knew nothing about, do they still count?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wonder how many goals he would need to score to be regarded as being a successful signing at that price?
What was it, €80m? He gives them more than 30 goals a season, it's fine. They're not paying him insane wages too are they?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
If he hits 30, he's a success without a shadow of a doubt. Don't care if they all bounce off his arse into the net.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Ronaldo got 25 last season. Was he a success ?
yes?

I know you've all tied yourself into knots about him by now, but the failings in the team around him that he accentuated doesn't make him a failure. He was clearly your best forward by a mile.

He's been failing hard this season, mind.

Regardless, Nunez doesn't come with the drawbacks of Ronaldo failing his way to 25 goals.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
What was it, €80m? He gives them more than 30 goals a season, it's fine. They're not paying him insane wages too are they?
From what I've read, it's £65m upfront with add-ons raising to £85m.
The add-ons are rumoured to be heavily a dependent on appearances/starts, the full amount is quite easy to hit by mid of next season.
He's on £14*kpw with incentive(bonus) to bring the tally to almost £180kpw.

With those kind of financial outlay, 20-25 goals is reasonable KPI to hit.
Thrown in some assist here and there.
A young forward with those kind of number will cost you >200kpw in EPL easy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
yes?

I know you've all tied yourself into knots about him by now, but the failings in the team around him that he accentuated doesn't make him a failure. He was clearly your best forward by a mile.

He's been failing hard this season, mind.

Regardless, Nunez doesn't come with the drawbacks of Ronaldo failing his way to 25 goals.
Not true. The damage he did (and continues) to do to our overall attacking football has always been the biggest problem with Ronaldo. It was a problem when he was scoring goals and a problem now he’s stopped. All the evidence you need is the goals (and xG) with and without him in the team, starting before he joined and continuing to the present day.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not true. The damage he did (and continues) to do to our overall attacking football has always been the biggest problem with Ronaldo. It was a problem when he was scoring goals and a problem now he’s stopped. All the evidence you need is the goals (and xG) with and without him in the team, starting before he joined and continuing to the present day.
True, but that is not the case with Darwin so far. Liverpool's attack has been better with him than without. Whole team has in general

It's obviously still too early to make definitive judgements, but so far, he's looking good

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
True, but that is not the case with Darwin so far. Liverpool's attack has been better with him than without. Whole team has in general

It's obviously still too early to make definitive judgements, but so far, he's looking good
Well they’ve been a lot worse than they were last season, overall. Which is what reminds me of Ronaldo at United last season.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Well they’ve been a lot worse than they were last season, overall. Which is what reminds me of Ronaldo at United last season.
They were goosed after that quadruple attempt.
They don't have stable midfield due to injuries.
Their best mid in Thiago is not reliable physically while Fabinho suddenly forget how to play football.
I was quite disappointed to not to see that goofy Joel Matip due to injuries, he's quality defender and hillarious guy.
Now Luiz Diaz and Diogo are injured too.
Basically only gets to see Mo and Bobby.
Lost a lot of excitement watching them.

Darwin is actually a breath of fresh air; he makes them more dangerous and he's easy to get behind.
Seem like an honest, hardworking lad albeit sometimes immature and naive.
Whatever problem Pool is having now, it's not because of Darwin.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I think there are plenty of other issues to look at other than Nunez coming into the team. We're being outran by every team we play against for starters.