Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Conor

I mean I guess it does look like I’ve got a bee in my bonnet about it but I haven’t :lol: I promise

I just think it’s factual incorrect to say we’ve spent €100 million on a player when we clearly haven’t

When/if we eventually pay €100m, it’ll be because he’s been a success or over time triggered his add ons, until then he’s no where near that sum yet, still a marquee signing as well like, not saying we paid peanuts for him either

either way I think most would agree he’a potentially a great addition to the Liverpool squad with all his traits and attributes he’s thus far shown

let’s see if that will transition to the EPL, our big signings of late have done outstanding so far so the strike rate looks promising
It's factually incorrect to say you've paid 64m pounds for him too, if you want to be pedantic, as you will not be paying that much in one go. I think it's pretty fair to consider 15m pounds of add-ons when they are purely appearance based, and a very low amount of appearances at that. Unless he is one of the biggest flops to ever grace football, he will cost you close to 80m pounds, regardless of what you win/how the team performs.

Telsim

If United kowtowed to Barca's demands in the same way that Liverpool have done with Benfica, the De Jong deal would be done by now. Negotiating obviously takes longer than outright paying the asking price.
I never mentioned De Jong. And even if I did, it isn't limited to him. It's always the same with us. We explore, consider, monitor, discuss, then buy Fellainis and AWBs. Or don't buy anything at all. Business isn't done in an efficient manner. Important signings are always made a meal out of. The club is leaking like a sieve and I can't tell if it's on purpose or not. The legacy of Woodward, no doubt. Media and other clubs know our intentions the second they are spoken out loud. It's amateurish and unprofessional.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We are paying £64 million for Nunez

All this clap trap about spending £80-100 million is BS and people just trying to make out we’ve “over paid”

We are paying £64 million for Nunez

If he flopps, he’ll be a £64 million flopp

if he’s a success, features regularly and helps us win trophies, he’ll be an £85 million success story which will be money well spent

but right now, he’s a £64 million signing

no where near this 100 million crap folks are branding around

I think at £64m he’s certainly worth a punt especially with the season he’s just had. In todays footballing world, when you have a season like he’s just had in one of the top 8 leagues in Europe, the price is probably to be expected
Can't believe you're paying £134m for this guy.

Bole Top

I love players like him and I actually think he'll be a good fit (purely because of Klopp), but I'm not that bothered by this signing as literally everyone score tons in Portugal. these days players like O. Cardozo (who they tried to sign in the past) cost the same money they just paid for Nunez, and I think they're about the same level. I don't think he'll fail, but 189m is too much imo.

Hammondo

Oh ffs…. He’s among top 3 best young forwards. Peach of a signing and utterly depressing as a United supporter. Hope we sign somebody like Nkunku this year or next.
You are not in the real world.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh ffs…. He’s among top 3 best young forwards. Peach of a signing and utterly depressing as a United supporter. Hope we sign somebody like Nkunku this year or next.
Who are your top 5 young forwards?

Hammondo

FDJ has been very underwhelming at Barcelona. Nunez has proven himself in Champions League. He has all attributes of a top striker. While jury is still out for FDJ, he has done nothing exceptional in his career up till now.
All the attributes aside from touch, close control, passing, general technique?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not much point people giving their opinions now. We just have to wait and see how he adapts.

He has all the raw tools to do well in the PL, but that doesn't always mean much.

I suspect though he will do fine. Liverpool keep possession well enough that they don't need Nunez to get involved in the build up.

He can just play as a target man, run onto long balls or be a threat in the box.

People keep talking about his poor first touch, but they simply won't feed it to him in unless it's around the box.

From what I've seen his first touch rarely ever lets him down when there is a chance on goal.

Adam-Utd

All the attributes aside from touch, close control, passing, general technique?
Since when have forwards in England required that to do well?

Speed, strength, good movement and finishing is all that's needed here. Jamie Vardy is probably the most similar striker I can compare him to and he's done alright over the last few years.

Hammondo

Since when have forwards in England required that to do well?

Speed, strength, good movement and finishing is all that's needed here. Jamie Vardy is probably the most similar striker I can compare him to and he's done alright over the last few years.
What decade of football are you looking at?

Vardy did not struggle in any of those areas, these 2 players are not at all similar.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
:lol: Maybe you need to do bit of research there. Nunez who played 10 games in CL is CL proven but the player who won Champions league midfielder of the year is yet to achieve anything exceptional in his career.

He won UEFA midfielder of the year, made FIFA pro world 11 team, UEFA team of the year.

Nunez might go on to become Benzema or Mbappe, doesn't change the fact that this post is just wrong.
:lol:

And the jury isn’t still out for Nunez, who no one was talking about this time last season. Too many people get desperate to sign the latest hyped up name.

Adam-Utd

What decade of football are you looking at?

Vardy did not struggle in any of those areas, these 2 players are not at all similar.
Vardy is no technician at all. His touch and passing are bang average. His speed, movement and work rate is what made him so dangerous.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Apparently a further £4.3 million after 10 games yes, so quite quickly it could rise too £68.3 million

still a considerable distance from 100 million isn’t it

a further £8 million after 60 apps which is 1 possibly 2 seasons away injuries depending
So it’s £80m then isn’t it? Unless he suffers a career ending injury.

That’s €92m. Which is quite close to 100m.

HookedOnAPhelan

Most depressing is Nunez' salary at 140K/week compared to Sancho' 350K/week.
Don't believe everything you read. Going by the tabloids you would think we pay 3x the wages to our players that Liverpool do, yet our wage expenditures are fairly similar according to the clubs' annual financial reports (at least up until this season).

Hammondo

Vardy is no technician at all. His touch and passing are bang average. His speed, movement and work rate is what made him so dangerous.
Agreed hes not a technician, but he hasn't got glaring weaknesses in those areas.

Adam-Utd

Agreed hes not a technician, but he hasn't got glaring weaknesses in those areas.
You can make a compilation like that for Vardy too I have no doubts.

Where was Vardy at 22? still in a factory. As much as we wish it, I don't think Nunez will be anywhere near as much of a donkey as you think.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Paying £120m for a 26 year old with half a good season in Portugal is terrible business.
I hear from people close to Nuñez that it's closer to 150M once you include all add-ons/bonuses. (just inflating for the sake of it lolzy)

Peñarol are getting up to 10M despite originally selling him for 6M to Almería. Ask any Peñarol fan and Pellistri leaving hurt them more, yet we have him rotting away and deemed "not ready".

Davie Moyes

Don't believe everything you read. Going by the tabloids you would think we pay 3x the wages to our players that Liverpool do, yet our wage expenditures are fairly similar according to the clubs' annual financial reports (at least up until this season).
Spot on mate. I still don't believe the Sancho reported figure which I believe is made up by the same Scouse loving media who try their best to downplay the Scouse spending. Examples are that Nunez is strictly a £64m signing (with some of the most easily achievable appearance related add-ons not mentioned) whilst for us free signing Sanchez is always presented with some massive made up fee including his signing-on fee and his wages included.

The Sancho reported £350k a week makes no sense in terms of his age, career etc. when we have just tied down an established Bruno to a 200K contract and the likes of Martial and Rashford are around the 200K to 250K. It would make sense for him to be on wages around this level.

Hammondo

Where was Vardy at 22? still in a factory. As much as we wish it, I don't think Nunez will be anywhere near as much of a donkey as you think.
I don't think you can make a video like that about Vardy. I think Nunez will struggle.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think it's fair to say we spent 84m GBP based on what's been reported. They call it add-ons, but really it's more of an instalment structure given how achievable the reported targets are.
If we don't end up paying them, he'll have been a huge failure at whatever fee level we end up paying.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Not that I agree with you but people should remember this lowlight:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Lukaku has definitely done a number on this forum when it comes to evaluating strikers and their touch.

Suarez would rack up a good number of donkey touches in a season, then do absolutely sublime stuff a moment later.

Paul_Scholes18

Is this guy better than Felix who went for big money as well?

Huge overpayment, but Liverpool payed a huge sum for Van Dijk and they turned him into the best defender in the world.

Klopp has that ability to turn talents into stars.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Most depressing is Nunez' salary at 140K/week compared to Sancho' 350K/week.
And it starts.

Actually most depressing part is, how easy it is to run propaganda and how easy people believe everything.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Does this signing and the subsequent fanfare/expectations fall in line with the Liverpool boom-bust cycle?
The FDJ/ETH signings and the caff’s response certainly reminds me of those good old LFC boom-bust days.

All those lovely threads about how next year was going to be our year…..until it wasn’t. A bit like ole being at the wheel or Ronaldo arriving to blow to title race wide open ;)

Relevant

Shocking that they've paid so much for the second best CF in the Portuguese league.

Personally I was hugely dismayed when Chelsea were linked to him - very glad we've dodged that bullet (granted in large part because we've ducked directly into the Lukaku bullet, but still).
"Hugely dismayed" :lol: well I suppose you've gone from "generally optimistic" when you signed Werner who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo to "mildly concerned" when you realized that Lukaku was ACTUALLY a barn door, mostly shut..... surprised Chelsea didn't get Werner taking pot shots at Romelu......so I suppose "hugely dismayed" is the next step in the spiral of attacking doom that represents Chelsea FC.....and long may it fekkin continue :keano:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Seems that TAA tweeted Darwin telling him he'll help him with his Liverpool career.

Just like he helped Vini Junior during the CL final.

Oranges038

Huge overpayment, but Liverpool payed a huge sum for Van Dijk and they turned him into the best defender in the world.

Don't you mean the best defender ever.

This time next year Nunez will be hailed as the greatest striker ever to exist in the history of football.

erikcred

Lukaku has definitely done a number on this forum when it comes to evaluating strikers and their touch.

Suarez would rack up a good number of donkey touches in a season, then do absolutely sublime stuff a moment later.
Have to agree with you. From what I've watched, even Salah seems to have a very poor first touch on average. But every now and then he turns into Messi with the ball at his feet.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

No. He's considerably worse than Felix, who did more at a younger age.

"Hugely dismayed" :lol: well I suppose you've gone from "generally optimistic" when you signed Werner who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo to "mildly concerned" when you realized that Lukaku was ACTUALLY a barn door, mostly shut..... surprised Chelsea didn't get Werner taking pot shots at Romelu......so I suppose "hugely dismayed" is the next step in the spiral of attacking doom that represents Chelsea FC.....and long may it fekkin continue :keano:
:lol: Sorry, just have never seen a bigger disconnect between a username and the content of a post.

I live in Portugal and am married into a Benfica family mate - I can promise you I have watched a feckton more of Darwin than you have since I went to something like 15 matches this past year. This is an atrocious signing and like I said I could not be more pleased that Chelsea haven't fallen for it.

Let me know when he averages 15 passes per game in the league though. Since he's never done that.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The bigger crime than Liverpool spending a gazillion quid on this guy, is how many people don't know how to spell paid. If I see one more person spell it as payed then I am going to lose my mind.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
No. He's considerably worse than Felix, who did more at a younger age.

:lol: Sorry, just have never seen a bigger disconnect between a username and the content of a post.

I live in Portugal and am married into a Benfica family mate - I can promise you I have watched a feckton more of Darwin than you have since I went to something like 15 matches this past year. This is an atrocious signing and like I said I could not be more pleased that Chelsea haven't fallen for it.

Let me know when he averages 15 passes per game in the league though. Since he's never done that.
Oh boy, what a hill to die on. :lol:

Hmmm, a Chelsea fan who was mildly impressed about signing Werner then not disappointed in getting Lukaku and has been to 15 games dontchaknow...

vs

Liverpool scouts who have a phenomenal track record of reading stats and performances to an almost artistic level. And Klopp who wants, and likely can, turn raw material into gold dust.

Yeah, this is a toughie. :houllier:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Oh boy, what a hill to die on. :lol:

Hmmm, a Chelsea fan who was mildly impressed about signing Werner then not disappointed in getting Lukaku and has been to 15 games dontchaknow...

vs

Liverpool scouts who have a phenomenal track record of reading stats and performances to an almost artistic level. And Klopp who wants, and likely can, turn raw material into gold dust.

Yeah, this is a toughie. :houllier:
:lol:

What on earth is this? You're a decent poster generally but this is ludicrous. Or perhaps you're forgetting the masterpiece works of art that are Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Minamino?

Obviously I'm not arguing that I am as informed as Liverpool's scouting department. I am arguing that I am better informed than some random Liverpool fan who discovered who Nunez was when you played them in the CL this year.

This smacks of another Origi. A young player signed on the basis of a single decent season with no guarantee he'll ever develop. Nunez was a laughingstock for the entire season before this past one once he signed - and even this past year he wasn't as good as Mehdi Tahremi.

marktan

How's his all round play? Haven't watched much of him but being good at linking play is crucial to how Liverpool play.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How's his all round play? Haven't watched much of him but being good at linking play is crucial to how Liverpool play.
Terrible. He literally has never even averaged 15 passes per game.

He's more or less a worse version of Lukaku but he plays from the left and not the right, and he's worse at linking play. Makes the same types of runs in behind constantly but is less effective when dropping deep.

Perhaps Liverpool envision him as a long-term Salah replacement in terms of being the forward responsible for pushing opposition lines deep, but he is about as polar an opposite to Firmino as you're likely to find.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Terrible. He literally has never even averaged 15 passes per game.

He's more or less a worse version of Lukaku but he plays from the left and not the right, and he's worse at linking play. Makes the same types of runs in behind constantly but is less effective when dropping deep.

Perhaps Liverpool envision him as a long-term Salah replacement in terms of being the forward responsible for pushing opposition lines deep, but he is about as polar an opposite to Firmino as you're likely to find.
I wonder if Mane wanting to leave combined with City signing Haaland has caused an uncharacteristic panic from Liverpool?

Nunez feels a Klopp player about as much as Lukaku felt like a Tuchel one.

Relevant

Ha....touché, very good

I bow to your superior knowledge in the circumstances and apologise for allowing my distaste for your club to influence my post. I have said on numerous occasions that I didn't want him at United....looks like the whole of Manchester (and Chelsea :nervous: ) will be united in their desire to see him fail next season.

Considering your clubs propensity for acquiring shyte forwards though I'm amazed you didn't gazump Pool at the last minute :D

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I bow to your superior knowledge in the circumstances and apologise for allowing my distaste for your club to influence my post. I have said on numerous occasions that I didn't want him at United....looks like the whole of Manchester (and Chelsea :nervous: ) will be united in their desire to see him fail next season.

Considering your clubs propensity for acquiring shyte forwards though I'm amazed you didn't gazump Pool at the last minute :D
All good mate; certainly no bowing required and I can completely understand the sour taste Chelsea leave in the mouth. Had a hearty chuckle at the bolded as well!