Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavern in the town

With Mane looking like he’s off to Bayern I’d be quite surprised if Nunez doesn’t end up at Liverpool. They’ve just signed Diaz who plays on the left so you’d imagine they’d be after a CF given that’s where Mane has played for the last few months.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
To be fair, he's been scoring in the Champions League too.
You don't look only at goals scored as a number. You look at his qualities and how he scored the goals, and if he would have a similar impact in a better league. Him scoring against top opposition in the CL hints that he could perform in a better league as well.

If young Lewandowski or Cavani or whoever would score 30 goals in Portugal, you would dismiss him as well by your barometer, because some Dutch clogger managed similar. You obviously have to look beyond that.
Calm down lads. I only objected to the claim the Portugese league is a top competition. It's not.
I never said that we should dismiss Nunez because he's from a second tier competition. I quite like Nunez.

GledTheRed

With Mane looking like he’s off to Bayern I’d be quite surprised if Nunez doesn’t end up at Liverpool. They’ve just signed Diaz who plays on the left so you’d imagine they’d be after a CF given that’s where Mane has played for the last few months.
Yeah I reckon that's what's gonna happen too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can only play who is Infront of you.i would have been sacked in the corporate world nowadays with the choices of words I would use on a daily basis
Not sure what was your point there but Im not trying to discredit VVD. Just saying that may be some people need to stop saying VVD is better than the old days centre back like Rio, Vidic, and etc.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah I reckon that's what's gonna happen too.
Not really - they have Jota and Firminho on top of Diaz and Salah.

We thought Diaz was coming as a Salah replacement, but the latter has just confirmed he's staying on for next season at least.
They also have Fabvio Cavalho, who Klopp has refused to loan out next season and if I'm not mistaken, is quite offensive minded. As they integrate players like Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot, together with the introduction with Cavalho, I think they will be in a strong offensive position when you consider Diaz/Salah/Firminho/Jota. I'd be very surprised if they put a big transfer spend on Nunez just to see him rotate with the rest.

I don't think Mane leaving spells any sort of panic for yet another attacker for Liverpool.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Exactly, so why throw our name in there?
I reckon we're probably in for him, we're just not that high on his preference list. We'd be mad not to push for him. In a summer where he, Haaland and Mbappe were all available, the drop off in options after that is pretty stark.

paulscholes18

I don't want him Purley because I get Lukaku vibes when he's running with the ball, never looks in control or knows what he's going to do next.

DevilRed

So because Alvarez scores 6 in one game against some plodders, you'd take him over a striker who's scored over 30 goals in a top european league, and a good handful in the CL?
Fair fecks.

Just reminds me a bit of lukaku tis all.

Would prefer us to go more modern and have quicker & more technical players who can interchange.

What do I know though. I just watch youtube highlights.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't normally worry about what a player costs (it's not my money after all) but the rumours of £100m for this guy sounds bonkers. Do Benfica really have enough competition in Portugal (one or two other clubs only vying for title) to prove he is that good. I mean they are putting him close to the Kane class - not to mention way above Halaand, which is a joke. I'd take Son, as well a Kane, ahead of him - not that either of those would come, I suppose.

There must be better options out there...

Pass and Move

This guy is far from a top tier talent in my opinion. Looks to be Jimenez level at best. Don’t want.

Drizzle

There must be better options out there...
I know... But who?

I actually get the comparisons to Lukaku and Jimenez etc, but honestly we'd have probably got top 4 last season if we'd had either of those in the squad.

I don't think Nunez is anything like elite, but perhaps good is good enough in this case when there are no other better options.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They've still got both Jota and Firmino who can play centrally. Salah can play through the middle as well. I don't think they'll be signing Nunez

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They've still got both Jota and Firmino who can play centrally. Salah can play through the middle as well. I don't think they'll be signing Nunez
Thats what good managers do though. They move on players who have peaked and get in the young replacements.

Firmino has not been the same player over the last 2 years, Jota can cover LW/striker and they don't rely on the striker in the build up either. Move on Mane/Firmino and replace.

If anything Nunez makes absolute sense, and he no doubt impressed them putting in a MOTM performance at Anfield. Nunez is a great presser also.

All these lads saying they remind him or Lukaku and his poor technique... I think will be regretting it if he joins them.

Pass and Move

Compare Jimenez' goalscoring record at Benfica with Nunez'. And he was older too.
Wasn’t he almost exclusively a sub at Benfica?

In any case, having watched Nunez, I think he’s a very limited player technically and not worth anywhere near the figures being quoted.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax

In any case, having watched Nunez, I think he’s a very limited player technically and not worth anywhere near the figures being quoted.
I totally agree with you. He’s decent but not worth the money that Benfica want.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

1 guess as to why Jimenez was a backup at Benfica and Nunez is not. Don't get me wrong, Jonas was a great finisher but not to the point where he'd be keeping Nunez from getting game time. Jimenez used to play really well for Benfica but his finishing was largely poor.

A striker who works hard, is physical, and knows where the goal is is not something to be sniffed at. Jimenez had maybe 2 seasons where he put all that together at Wolves but he was much older and more experienced than Nunez at the time.

Devil may care

He looks technically average to me and with Ronnie staying I can't see the point in a very expensive pure #9 to sit on the bench.

TwoSheds

He looks technically average to me and with Ronnie staying I can't see the point in a very expensive pure #9 to sit on the bench.
Because he can do the dirty work that Ronnie can't, and because we can easily accommodate going into a season with 2 CFs and give them both plenty of game time. We're gonna be playing 5 billion EL games and I'd just say to Ronaldo I'm going to try to stick to 1 start a week for you as much as possible. Whenever he had a good rest Ronaldo looked a different animal this season (except towards the end when everyone couldn't be arsed).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ronaldo is literally our only center forward, and hes 38. You know that, right.

choccy77

Reports on my news feeds tonight, saying United will have him agreed next week.

Devil may care

Because he can do the dirty work that Ronnie can't, and because we can easily accommodate going into a season with 2 CFs and give them both plenty of game time. We're gonna be playing 5 billion EL games and I'd just say to Ronaldo I'm going to try to stick to 1 start a week for you as much as possible. Whenever he had a good rest Ronaldo looked a different animal this season (except towards the end when everyone couldn't be arsed).
Selling that to Ronaldo is a whole different prospect to how it sounds in theory though, and I also don't think Nunez will want to go anywhere where he isn't starting week in and week out.

Ronaldo is literally our only center forward, and hes 38. You know that, right.
Is he? Holy shit, thanks for letting me know. I never said don't buy another forward did I? I'm saying lets not buy a €70M one to play job share with a player who notoriously doesn't share, if Ronaldo is staying the logical thing to do is to buy a versatile forward who can play wide and as a striker, or a cheaper back-up #9 who's going to be happy with 15 starts and coming off the bench.

TwoSheds

Selling that to Ronaldo is a whole different prospect to how it sounds in theory though, and I also don't think Nunez will want to go anywhere where he isn't starting week in and week out.

Is he? Holy shit, thanks for letting me know. I never said don't buy another forward did I? I'm saying lets not buy a €70M one to play job share with a player who notoriously doesn't share, if Ronaldo is staying the logical thing to do is to buy a versatile forward who can play wide and as a striker, or a cheaper back-up #9 who's going to be happy with 15 starts and coming off the bench.
Realistically Ronaldo is staying for one more season, 2 at the absolute most. And he's already 37. If Darwin isn't excited about the prospect of playing with him, learning from him and competing with him then there's something wrong with him. Also, Ronaldo can still play wide, it's not like we're overflowing with class attackers at the moment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Presumptuous at best - you don't know what system ETH is going to serve to insinuate this.
Moreover given all our fixtures next season, we don't just need a player with 15 mins coming off the bench. Ronaldo WILL be rotated a fair bit next season, as he should. He likely expects this too.

AdNani

People suggesting we shouldn't sign a young exciting prospect because it might upset our 38 year old striker, who is also our only striker need to give their head a wobble.

Devil may care

Realistically Ronaldo is staying for one more season, 2 at the absolute most. And he's already 37. If Darwin isn't excited about the prospect of playing with him, learning from him and competing with him then there's something wrong with him. Also, Ronaldo can still play wide, it's not like we're overflowing with class attackers at the moment.
Ronaldo doesn't have the legs to play wide for any more than a brief spell in a game and we don't need the best finisher on the LW where we already have 2 options. I think Nunez will be excited by the prospect of being the main man now, not the understudy.

Presumptuous at best - you don't know what system ETH is going to serve to insinuate this.
Moreover given all our fixtures next season, we don't just need a player with 15 mins coming off the bench. Ronaldo WILL be rotated a fair bit next season, as he should. He likely expects this too.
You mention presumptuous then presume Ronaldo will be rotated a fair bit, if he is and Ten Hag can sell that to him then get the statue builders on the phone. Again I never said just coming off the bench for 15 minutes, I said 15 starts and sub appearences, and there isn't a system where Ronaldo and Nunez fit together, sure we can do what we did with Ronaldo and Cavani and put Ronnie on the wing for the last throw of the dice if we're chasing a game, but Ronnie can't be starting wide and playing whole games there, Ten Hag requires his wide players to defensively support the fullbacks, he didn't do that when he was young and sure as shit isn't doing it at 38, and even a 3-5-2 would be awkward as Nunez hold-up play isn't very good so it's 2 strikers who can't hold it up playing together, it doesn't work. We have a limited budget, if Ronaldo goes then fine, spend half of it on this guy if Ten Hag feels he can refine his rawness, but he doesn't make sense if Ronaldo is staying.

People suggesting we shouldn't sign a young exciting prospect because it might upset our 38 year old striker, who is also our only striker need to give their head a wobble.
You make it sound like we are buying some kid for €10M, this guy is costing Haaland money and we need at least 5 players on a budget that isn't City or PSG limitless, I'm talking about looking at more than "Ooooo shiny new striker, me want!" We have to spread the budget out and given Ronaldo starts most of the time and our wide options are also shite it makes more sense to buy a versatile attacker who can cover both positions, it's like Timber can cover CB and RB, that makes him an astute buy if we can't stretch to a RB buy and a CB buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.