Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Sorry mate but you are wrong here. I don't know why you keep banging this drum of 'Chelsea can't do this now' - yes we know this, we all watch the news funnily enough and are very aware of their current restrictions, however as has been mentioned new ownership is imminent and we're talking about future plans, not right now.

As Orc said they will have new owners in place come the summer transfer window and no restrictions - yes we don't know what their budget will be like, but it's completely reasonable to suggest the new owners whoever they are - being that they are following on from a very successful period under Abramovich that included heavy investment - will want to gain fan's trust quickly and will willingly spend a bit of money in the summer to do so.
You see, that’s a guess. We were told a few weeks ago was the deadline, now it’s the end of this month, what Happens if it’s the end of next month? Then Benfica are negotiating with people who dont have the authority to discuss anything since they might not even be in a job themselves when the new owners take over. They won’t know how high they can go when talking about wages etc. potential owners aren’t even allowed to contact anybody within the club since it’s in a bidding war, and as we saw with the Bruce Buck debacle, to even set some guidelines. That’s my point, it could be any one of 2/3 and these unauthorised negotiators are going away to discuss 70m transfers that would keep all potential bidders happy?
It’s absurd to the point it’s beyond ridiculous.
This isn’t Roman out, slot new owner in and continue as normal. The entire structure could be changing.
Tuchel can’t guarantee he won’t last behind the end of the season because they can only take it day by day ffs and they’re jetting off to Portugal competing with Utd and PSG for a signing?
I can almost guarantee Chelsea will not make a big money signing this summer. It’s nailed on. There is far too much work to be down to get them through that mess.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Getting Gaitan vibes off this. Being linked to everyone, even to clubs for whom it makes no sense.

Ed9

I think he is the best worst player we've had in recent years :lol:

Technically average (at best), dumb af, but somehow a constant threat to the opposition... He excels in speed and stamina, and is also a good finisher

I will miss him
How does dumb af demonstrate? On or off the pitch?

Irrational.

Getting Gaitan vibes off this. Being linked to everyone, even to clubs for whom it makes no sense.
Agree with this. Portuguese clubs (and their press) have a propensity to pimp their players out to every Tom, Dick and Harry summer after summer. Would not read anything into this.

didz

According to Ornstein Benfica want a deal done quickly so they can get a replacement lined up.

I think it's far more likely that they want a deal done immediately because they know his stock will never be this high again. Had he moved to Brighton in January, noone would've batted an eye.

Godfather

Looks very very clumsy whenever I've watched him (not a lot mind). Seems to score quite a few goals though.

Stadjer

Wouldn't this question be better served by asking a Benfica fan?
Not really. A Benfica fan sees him score and be the reason Benfica wins games. That fan likely wants the player to stay and therefor rate him higher/more valueable. A follower of the Portugese league but not a Benfica fan might be more objective. Unless that follower isnt objective and hates Benfica and their players :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've read about him and those who have watched him say whilst he has good qualities he's technically poor and vastly outperforming his xG. The price quoted seems way overblown and reeks of agent talk.

Would be interested to know much much xG he's actually generating per game in that case.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wouldn't this question be better served by asking a Benfica fan?
Don't know any , he also hates them with a passion so I expect him to be very well informed as he generally is with Portuguese game.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not really. A Benfica fan sees him score and be the reason Benfica wins games. That fan likely wants the player to stay and therefor rate him higher/more valueable. A follower of the Portugese league but not a Benfica fan might be more objective. Unless that follower isnt objective and hates Benfica and their players :lol:
Doesn't that apply to every single non Benfica fan in Portugal :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m torn. Ultimately, if he is a goalscorer, then it has merits. Haaland is technically basic for example. Van Nistelrooy was reasonably tidy but no Henry or anything. If Nuñez is nothing but a ruthless striker, it could still be worth it. May still be better than seeing Ronaldo hanging at left wing while the opponent’s box remains empty.
It's important to be competent though. Haaland and RVN did the basics very well. On the other hand someone like Chicharito was genuinely terrible on the ball. You can't stick out like a sore thumb at a big club as a starter.

Stadjer

Doesn't that apply to every single non Benfica fan in Portugal :lol:
Is it? I have no idea about Portugese football :lol: Is Benfica considered the largest and most succesful club? Usually they are the most disliked by anyone who isnt a fan. In England that team is Manchester United and here in the Netherlands it is Ajax. For some reason is assume Porto is the Manchester United/Ajax of Portugal...

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Is it? I have no idea about Portugese football :lol: Is Benfica considered the largest and most succesful club? Usually they are the most disliked by anyone who isnt a fan. In England that team is Manchester United and here in the Netherlands it is Ajax. For some reason is assume Porto is the Manchester United/Ajax of Portugal...
Porto has more recent success and there is the whole European curse going on with Benfica , also this might be anecdotal but I have yet to see a Portuguese non benfica fan that didn't want to burn their ground and cover it with salt and im not sure of im exaggerating or not.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
According to Ornstein Benfica want a deal done quickly so they can get a replacement lined up.

I think it's far more likely that they want a deal done immediately because they know his stock will never be this high again. Had he moved to Brighton in January, noone would've batted an eye.
Why would he move to Brighton? People actually scout him and have been aware of him for a lot longer than the links you have read.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's important to be competent though. Haaland and RVN did the basics very well. On the other hand someone like Chicharito was genuinely terrible on the ball. You can't stick out like a sore thumb at a big club as a starter.
Yet Chicharito was very much a starter for us for a period and something of a cult figure. Then he went to Real Madrid! Even then, he was closer to an 18/20 goal striker than a 35 goal one. If he was a 35 goal striker, his star would have been much bigger.

As I said, I’m a big supporter of technical players myself, but I’d take Haaland above any centre forward on the market. Although after him my natural preferences lean towards Joao Felix.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Technically average (at best), dumb af, but somehow a constant threat to the opposition... He excels in speed and stamina, and is also a good finisher

I will miss him
Oh, so it wasn't just me then. Question is whether he is dumb like Suárez, an intelligent footballer with 0 IQ otherwise.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I will miss him
'constant threat to the opposition'

We haven't that for a number of years and hence aren't effective at pressing from the front.

didz

Why would he move to Brighton? People actually scout him and have been aware of him for a lot longer than the links you have read.
I mentioned Brighton specifically because that's who he was linked to at the time.

There are plenty of people on the forum who know more about Portuguese football than me, but I'd be surprised if they end up raving about him, based on the games I have caught over the year.

It feels like he's in a hot streak right now - I'm not sure there's enough evidence to suggest that it's class rather than form just yet.

Andrew7582

This would be another joke transfer, up there with Maguire. Luckily we have Ten Hag coming in who I don't think will be interested in such a rough player.

Canagel

I will miss him
This sounds like Cavani Mk2. Someone is about to get scammed if they pricing him at 70m.

Andrew7582

He bought Haller though and turn him into quite a top goalscorer
Yeah and how much did Haller cost, £20 million? Different kettle of fish gambling £60-70 million on this guy to bring him to a much tougher league.

cyberman

This would be another joke transfer, up there with Maguire. Luckily we have Ten Hag coming in who I don't think will be interested in such a rough player.
There’s no way we sign him but Ten Hag wouldnt want him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This sounds like Cavani Mk2. Someone is about to get scammed if they pricing him at 70m.
You mean that to sound like a bad deal but it isn't. If you offered most top clubs a 22 year old Cavani for 70m they'd snap your hands off.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Simply not true. Besides Darwin stepping up against the likes of Barcelona, Bayern and Liverpool this season
How many goals has Darwin scored in the clássicos since he’s been here?

He’s still young of course but strikes me as a flat track bully.

SportingCP96

Supports
80 mil is a bit too much maybe?
@SportingCP96 can you tell me if he's worth that amount?
He’s 22 so he’s still young and the amount of goals he has scored is impressive for sure.

With that being said he lacks technical qualities and so far has failed to really perform in the bigger games in Portugal. (Granted he did score in the CL but in games where Benfica were dead and buried)

He does have good qualities he is unselfish and he is a Bull and relentless and his body frame helps him dominate in our league.

Now for 80M it’s absurd. He’s not with that at all. We have had many better strikers in our league go for less then that as well as better overall players.

Benfica’a players tend to be very very overpriced. Just look at Felix 120M and even though I must admit Felix is a good player, when he got sold and even right now he is nowhere near being a 120M player. Benfica players have a history of flopping when they leave them and that tends to be because of how overpriced they are.

Darwin is exactly the same, I would not pay more then 40-50M for him.

For 80M you expect someone to join your team and give you 35 goals, I don’t think he will do that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He’s 22 so he’s still young and the amount of goals he has scored is impressive for sure.

With that being said he lacks technical qualities and so far has failed to really perform in the bigger games in Portugal. (Granted he did score in the CL but in games where Benfica were dead and buried)

He does have good qualities he is unselfish and he is a Bull and relentless and his body frame helps him dominate in our league.

Now for 80M it’s absurd. He’s not with that at all. We have had many better strikers in our league go for less then that as well as better overall players.

Benfica’a players tend to be very very overpriced. Just look at Felix 120M and even though I must admit Felix is a good player, when he got sold and even right now he is nowhere near being a 120M player. Benfica players have a history of flopping when they leave them and that tends to be because of how overpriced they are.

Darwin is exactly the same, I would not pay more then 40-50M for him.

For 80M you expect someone to join your team and give you 35 goals, I don’t think he will do that.
Thanks for your insight, I'd imagine he won't suit us anyway especially considering how inexperienced and crude he is.

Benfica sure tend to do great business do almost as if it's a ponzi scheme.

SportingCP96

Supports
They are hated because they are the most corrupt club in the country wirh backlogs and files of corruption that are pretty evident. Along with Porto who also have been involved in many blatant corruption scandals but Portugal does not have the balls to relegate them or else they both would have spent some seasons in the second division like Juve in Italy.

Anyways back to Darwin…

SportingCP96

Supports
Thanks for your insight, I'd imagine he won't suit us anyway especially considering how inexperienced and crude he is.

Benfica sure tend to do great business do almost as if it's a ponzi scheme.
You don’t even have to look far back, renato and Felix both went grossly overpriced and proved to not be worth their value.

Darwin still had too many deficiencies for a top 4 EPL team. He is still young though and can improve for sure.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

I will miss him
This is what people are missing with him. Movement. Intense running off the ball. Not just once and then get pissed off when you don’t get the ball - but constantly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder how many of these 'technically poor do not want' posters have actually watched him play fully, or at they just parroting what they've been told?

I can't admit to seeing a lot of him in the past but since the recent links I've kept an eye on him.

You don't score a hattrick like that last week with poor technique. Every time the ball comes into his feet he takes a good first touch, he sorts himself out quickly and gets a shot away with good accuracy.

If that's poor technique? count me in. if he turns out to be a Cavani regen or a Lukaku that actually runs? we will be very happy.

Him and Bruno leading our press will be a big help. As the poster said above he's constantly running and working the opposition, a bit of a rat like Jamie Vardy.

Compare that to our forwards now that barely want to move 5 yards.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You don’t even have to look far back, renato and Felix both went grossly overpriced and proved to not be worth their value.

Darwin still had too many deficiencies for a top 4 EPL team. He is still young though and can improve for sure.
I wonder how much of it is due to Mendes peddling the prices and using his connections and stranger that clubs keep buying from them again.
At least Felix seems to have potential for the future but Renato was just a bizarre choice.

Blood Mage

Good thing we're not a top 4 EPL team then :(

cyberman

I wonder how many of these 'technically poor do not want' posters have actually watched him play fully, or at they just parroting what they've been told?

I can't admit to seeing a lot of him in the past but since the recent links I've kept an eye on him.

You don't score a hattrick like that last week with poor technique. Every time the ball comes into his feet he takes a good first touch, he sorts himself out quickly and gets a shot away with good accuracy.

If that's poor technique? count me in. if he turns out to be a Cavani regen or a Lukaku that actually runs? we will be very happy.

Him and Bruno leading our press will be a big help. As the poster said above he's constantly running and working the opposition, a bit of a rat like Jamie Vardy.

Compare that to our forwards now that barely want to move 5 yards.
I’m in this boat. As long as he presses, works hard and has press then that’s a huge plus for the modern frontline. I don’t see Jota Cruyff turning but his presence is a huge factor for Liverpool this year

Status
Not open for further replies.