Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbob

I always think that about Kane…but he improved massively at everything under dubious managers at spurs…this lad is young and people saying it’s going to fail is odd given klopp is one of the worlds best coaches.
Problem is that Kane has never shown a bad first touch or deficiencies that Nunez has ever since he became a first team player at Spurs. Klopp is incredible, of course, but I'm hopeful this is their first 'bad' signing in a while, because they are sue one. There's enough to look at him and think he'll be a success but there's also enough to look at him and see a Lukaku. One poster said he was a Fergie type signing but I disagree because Fergie never had a striker who had a bad first touch. Maybe Klopp can make him the best striker in the World but for me this is a hopeful punt after City signing Haaland which, for me, means Liverpool are now 10 points off them in the League.

Edit: in fact Liverpool would have been better off spending that sort of money on Kane, a much better all around player. Now can the Liverpool players adapt, for the first time under Klopp, at playing with a proper 9 who is useless in the build up? That remains to be seen.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
People forget some very important quality in a striker and that's the hardwork. Player can have a bad touch or two but he will make up for it by winning balls, effectively starting the team to press, harrasing defenders. Lukaku on the other hand was dogshite at everything in this reagard. Very lazy and could only run straight, no dynamism. That's why both players are incomparable.

Relevant

I am absolutely delighted we have not spent 100 M euros on this guy.

With his technical flaws and pressure of stepping up from the Portuguese to Premier League, he is a very high risk signing. Very likely he will fail miserably. At the very least, will come nowhere close to justifying his price tag. Very few players who go for that much actually do.

Pool were due a signing like this for a long while. They’ve been too spot on with each signing it’s been painful to watch. Adding Nunez, losing 100 M euros and losing Mane to Bayern will def weaken them.

City on the other hand just signed Haaland who will score goals for fun in that team. Only way that turns out poorly is if he has a bad injury record or if he upsets the dressing room dynamics with his salary.
So you're saying Nunez a definite 100% flop and Haaland a definite 100% success, injuries and standard bollocks aside?

You could be right :nervous:

Problem is that Kane has never shown a bad first touch or deficiencies that Nunez has ever since he became a first team player at Spurs. Klopp is incredible, of course, but I'm hopeful this is their first 'bad' signing in a while, because they are sue one. There's enough to look at him and think he'll be a success but there's also enough to look at him and see a Lukaku. One poster said he was a Fergie type signing but I disagree because Fergie never had a striker who had a bad first touch. Maybe Klopp can make him the best striker in the World but for me this is a hopeful punt after City signing Haaland which, for me, means Liverpool are now 10 points off them in the League.

Edit: in fact Liverpool would have been better off spending that sort of money on Kane, a much better all around player. Now can the Liverpool players adapt, for the first time under Klopp, at playing with a proper 9 who is useless in the build up? That remains to be seen.
You could be right too.....:D

Personally I don't know enough about Nunez to make a prediction..... although it's interesting that Benfica paid a national record sum to acquire him from Almería - and they're particularly well versed in spotting talent and picking up bargains originating from South America then selling them on for huge profits.

It also looks like Nunez has suffered some knee issues which could be a red flag (especially at the fees involved) but could also help to explain his less than stellar output prior to his 'breakout' season last year.

To be extremely clear I don't want this lad at United (although this may come back to bite me on the arrus :lol:)

One thing is a certain though. Both posters I've quoted, amongst others on the Caf appear to believe, or maybe hope - DEFINITELY hope :keano: - that this signing is a 'knee jerk punt' and a faux pas by the formerly much maligned but currently much vaunted transfer committee at Pool.

And that I can't agree with because there is no basis in reality for doing so.

Cloud7

This really reinforces the point that transfers that come in with a large transfer fee more often than not don't work out. You have to be exceptional (Ronaldo to Real, Van Dijk to Liverpool) to really end up being worth that sort of transfer fee.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

While that's entirely plausible and sensible, I do think it's a bit funny how every Utd outlet seemingly can't stress that point enough, in order to make sure no one would think a player has actually preferred Liverpool over United when given the option.

HookedOnAPhelan

While that's entirely plausible and sensible, I do think it's a bit funny how every Utd outlet seemingly can't stress that point enough, in order to make sure no one would think a player has actually preferred Liverpool over United when given the option.
Completely unnecessary too, because no one with any sense would think that.

cyberman

That’s not what those tweets are saying?

romufc

Manutd had talks but there was never a contract offer, unless you can prove otherwise.

Manutd were also not keen on spending 100m euros on him, unless again you can prove otherwise.

Therefore; there was no choice of two clubs. Its quite simple actually.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That’s not what those tweets are saying?
They reinforce the point that it was Utd's decision to pull out, rather than the player's decision to join Liverpool over Utd. Like I said, entirely plausible and indeed a likely scenario. But that same account was claiming / taking over claims from other sources right before the weekend that Utd were willing to rival Liverpool's offer and that you had made a proposal with a higher fixed fee than Liverpool. So they were either taking over false claims or are now backtracking on those claims.

The Utd sources / Twitter fan accounts seem desperate to prove that it was your own decision (again, could very well be) rather than a player preferring Liverpool over Utd.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Manutd had talks but there was never a contract offer, unless you can prove otherwise.

Manutd were also not keen on spending 100m euros on him, unless again you can prove otherwise.

Therefore; there was no choice of two clubs. Its quite simple actually.
I also think that's the case, but they can't stress that point enough it seems. Have seen those reports of "Utd pulling out" for a few days in a row now. Of course, even if it was the other way around, and the player made it clear he wanted to join Liverpool instead of Utd, the convenient way out without losing face would be to report that the fee was too high for you, so we'd never know either way.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Literally every club does the PR "we pulled out, not the player rejected us".

Most sources said he wanted to play in the CL and liked Klopp. It is what it is.

OpenIntrovert

They reinforce the point that it was Utd's decision to pull out, rather than the player's decision to join Liverpool over Utd. Like I said, entirely plausible and indeed a likely scenario. But that same account was claiming / taking over claims from other sources right before the weekend that Utd were willing to rival Liverpool's offer and that you had made a proposal with a higher fixed fee than Liverpool. So they were either taking over false claims or are now backtracking on those claims.

The Utd sources / Twitter fan accounts seem desperate to prove that it was your own decision (again, could very well be) rather than a player preferring Liverpool over Utd.
The truth is pretty simple. The media just writes the articles in a way where it will attract both sets of fans and just writes the subsequent articles based on the fan's sentiment. For ages, they have never known what the club was up to until we were about to close the deal.

romufc

I also think that's the case, but they can't stress that point enough it seems. Have seen those reports of "Utd pulling out" for a few days in a row now. Of course, even if it was the other way around, and the player made it clear he wanted to join Liverpool instead of Utd, the convenient way out without losing face would be to report that the fee was too high for you, so we'd never know either way.
Maybe but its is obvious before even Liverpool got involved that we were not paying 100m. Unless, you are just going to ignore that, United actually rated him at 70m not 100m. Neither did United present a contract offer to him.

If we wanted the player, we would have matched the fee and tried to persuade him with a higher contract offer, neither was done.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Literally every club does the PR "we pulled out, not the player rejected us".

Most sources said he wanted to play in the CL and liked Klopp. It is what it is.
But it could be true, I literally don't know, as there are sensible arguments to be made why it didn't make sense for you guys at that price.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe but its is obvious before even Liverpool got involved that we were not paying 100m. Unless, you are just going to ignore that, United actually rated him at 70m not 100m. Neither did United present a contract offer to him.

If we wanted the player, we would have matched the fee and tried to persuade him with a higher contract offer, neither was done.
How are you sure about that?

romufc

Sport Witness :lol::lol: Probably the most unreliable outlet there is.

You do realise Ten Hag is on holiday in Ibiza?

Go to reliable outlets, Ten Hag did not go to Portugal because. 1. He was in Ibiza. 2. Darwin was in Uruguay.

Also, if a bid was submitted which was the same, Benfica would have accepted 2 proposals.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But it could be true, I literally don't know, as there are sensible arguments to be made why it didn't make sense for you guys at that price.
Probably a bit of both. I don't think we could afford both him and FDJ, and right this moment midfield clearly needs upgrading first.

Would he have chosen us if the offers were the same? honestly right now I doubt it.

Rolaholic

Klopp adding another hard working and hungry attacker, must be nice

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

The only reports of us actually deciding to offer close to Liverpool are Portuguese gossip columns.

Whitwell and Romano both said we weren't going to spend that type of money for him. It was never a goer then.

Hughie77

What I've seen of him is that given space he can hurt you, his first touch under pressure isn't that good, the ball can bounce off him so it depends on how he cab develop in the Premier league. €100 million is steep though can see why UTD pulled out of that one, other areas of the pitch need addressing first.

pacifictheme

Klopp adding another hard working and hungry attacker, must be nice
When Lukaku signed for us there was a lot of this sort of stuff. Then he massively made up for all that going without food while he was playing for us so a feel good story all round really.

LuckyScout78

Klopp is trying to keep Liverpool dominating after Mane, Firminio and Salah. Rebuilding process. First Diaz, then Nunez and a new RW in the future.

Really high level both of Diaz and Nunez. Both of them have the top energy, drive and guts like Klopp. Like dad like son. The manager personalities and energy does attract same kind of players.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does every one think he’ll be a success? I’m having my doubts about him… only ever had 1 good season and in a very easy league. Still unproven and does miss quite a lot of easy chances. Hoping this is the one signing Liverpool make that flops.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Does every one think he’ll be a success? I’m having my doubts about him… only ever had 1 good season and in a very easy league. Still unproven and does miss quite a lot of easy chances. Hoping this is the one signing Liverpool make that flops.
I don’t think it’s completely black and white, I think he’ll probably land somewhere in between initially and it’ll be for him to knuckle down and decide whether he turns into a full success or falls short in the coming years.

I think the issue is that for a big money signing the expectation will be high, so anything but an immediate hit will lead to additional criticism and pressure (see Grealish), and to continue to compete at the level Liverpool have set themselves and the level they need to hit to compete with City, means he has to hit the ground running or again it’ll feel like he’s fallen short.

Its hard to describe but I watch Haaland and I just see a monster who I can’t see possibly failing in the PL. I feel like he’ll score goals regardless. With Nunez I don’t quite get that feeling he’ll come and dominate, and I just think for that kind of money it should feel more like Haaland. It certainly feels like it’s the first huge money gamble Liverpool have taken in quite a while

Zoo

Uruguayan Andy Carroll officially announced.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
At least our name won't be involved in the inevitable Nunez v Haaland discussions and we can sit back and laugh at who flops (assuming either do)

Status
Not open for further replies.