Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

He should be one of the forwards we target target in the summer but he'll be wanted by other clubs as well, I believe Liverpool have an interest

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Probably looking at a massive pricetag with the bidding war there's likely to be between all the clubs who won't get Haaland.

Can't quite see the fee getting up near Joao Felix levels, but I think somebody will get desperate and pay well over the odds to roll the dice on him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think I'm one of the few that believes in this modern football we should play a false 9. The top 4 teams above us are actually using their strikers like a false 9. Arsenal (Laca), Chelsea (Havertz), Liverpool (Jota), City (Foden).

Red_toad

I think I'm one of the few that believes in this modern football we should play a false 9. The top 4 teams above us are actually using their strikers like a false 9. Arsenal (Laca), Chelsea (Havertz), Liverpool (Jota), City (Foden).
City & Chelsea only play that way as they don’t have a suitable player for the role. Pool are looking at Nunez and Arsenal gave away their striker. When Cavani actually turns up we look so much better, getting a far younger player without all the injury issues, would be a good addition.

Bondi77

This has to be a made up name, it would not look out of place in a Hollywood blockbuster.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
City & Chelsea only play that way as they don’t have a suitable player for the role. Pool are looking at Nunez and Arsenal gave away their striker. When Cavani actually turns up we look so much better, getting a far younger player without all the injury issues, would be a good addition.
Arsenal performed better ever since Laca played in their XI instead of Aubameyang. Chelsea wanted a striker and they signed Lukaku and now they benched him because false 9 is more suitable. If City sign Lukaku, what are the chance they will do the same like Chelsea do by dropping him on the bench and play Foden instead? Would Liverpool play better than right now if they have Nunez instead of Jota? Or would Liverpool play better if they sign Nunez instead of Diaz? I really don't think so.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal performed better ever since Laca played in their XI instead of Aubameyang. Chelsea wanted a striker and they signed Lukaku and now they benched him because false 9 is more suitable. If City sign Lukaku, what are the chance they will do the same like Chelsea do by dropping him on the bench and play Foden instead?
Auba was excellent his first two season with us. After his contract renewal he was no longer motivated.

Charlie Foley

This has to be a made up name, it would not look out of place in a Hollywood blockbuster.
Neither would he. Looks like a Marvel character.

he often plays on the left of a front 3 too.

he’s been a bright spark in what’s actually been a pretty bad year for benfica (I know they’ve made the quarter finals which is a great achievement for them but they’ve been poor in the league and domestic cup, they at least got to the final of the league cup). Really impressed me after an underwhelming year last year

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Auba was excellent his first two season with us. After his contract renewal he was no longer motivated.
He played on the left while Laca was your striker in those seasons. This season when Arteta moved Auba role as a no 9, it didn't work out well. If anything you performed better when Laca was your striker. Right?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He played on the left while Laca was your striker in those seasons. This season when Arteta moved Auba role as a no 9, it didn't work out well. If anything you performed better when Laca was your striker. Right?
I don't know the reason why he didn't work out after contract renewal. He is playing at excellent level as striker for Barcelona right now. Barcelona with Xavi as coach is the same tactic/school like Cruyff/Pep/Arteta.

We can probably find the answer from amazon all or nothing Arsenal next season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't know the reason why he didn't work out after contract renewal. He is playing at excellent level as striker for Barcelona right now. Barcelona with Xavi as coach is the same tactic/school like Cruyff/Pep/Arteta
It's because the way how Arteta wants to play is he wants his no 9 to be good in linking up play and drop deep. The same with Pep and Klopp. Does Xavi set Auba to drop very deep, pressing, be a link of their midfield, and expect his striker to hold the ball a lot? Pep asked Zlatan and Eto'o like that and they didn't like the idea.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's because the way how Arteta wants to play is he wants his no 9 to be good in linking up play and drop deep. The same with Pep and Klopp. Does Xavi set Auba to drop very deep, pressing, be a link of their midfield, and expect his striker to hold the ball a lot? Pep asked Zlatan and Eto'o like that and they didn't like the idea.
Lacazette is good at link up play and bring other into the play for sure, but he doesn't score 20 goals a season like Auba. It is more like the chicken and the egg question whether Arteta wants to play a system with false 9 or he is forced to because of the form of Auba. Arteta wanted to bring in Vlahović in January and he is not a false 9 at all. I personally will take a 20 goal striker instead of Lacazette because goals win you game, but that is only my opinion.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I feel like I should rate him and be massively excited... but I'm not. Haven't seen all that much of him but, what I have, meh really.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lacazette is good at link up play and bring other into the play for sure, but he doesn't score 20 goals a season like Auba. It is more like the chicken and the egg question whether Arteta wants to play a system with false 9 or he is forced to because of the form of Auba. Arteta wanted to bring in Vlahović in January and he is not a false 9 at all. I personally will take a 20 goal striker instead of Lacazette because goals win you game, but that is only my opinion.
Did you think Auba was used properly as a no 9 this season by Arteta? From what I watched Auba was forced to drop deep to offer link up play and bring others into play which not his strength. This is how Arteta wants to play this season which the key success of why Arsenal are doing good in this top 4 race.

Not all strikers can play just one role. There are strikers who are pure no 9 but also can play as false 9. Prime Suarez, Lewandowski, Benzema, and last season Kane are good example. I haven't watch much of Vlahovic but the guy has great first touch and great hold up play to bring others into play when I watched him at Juve, unlike Auba. May be that's why Arteta wanted him because he has that false 9 skillset.

reddevilz007

I’d like to see us get Nunez and Nkunku. With Sancho to complete our front 3.

Selling Rashford and Martial, and letting Cavani go should be enough for either Nunez or Nkunku.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Did you think Auba was used properly as a no 9 this season by Arteta? From what I watched Auba was forced to drop deep to offer link up play and bring others into play which not his strength. This is how Arteta wants to play this season which the key success of why Arsenal are doing good in this top 4 race.
I do not have the knowledge or expertise to challenge any coach or Arteta the way how they use their players or setup their team. I can only say Auba doesn't do well in build up play and his pace running behind defender is his weapon. His last two season with us is a disappointment and he fell out with Arteta as well, and lead to his free transfer to barcelona. He is doing really well in Barcelona at the moment.

Back to this topic. I don't believe False 9 is the only way or the best way a team should play. I believe every coach will take a prime 97/98 Brazilian Ronaldo over Lacazette regardless of the system (it is just an example). There are more than one way to play football.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Who would we use? Do we have anyone that can play that role? Havertz, jota and foden are smart players. Lazacette is an natural number 9 anyway.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Darwin and his theories of evolution could help us understand how a player like Maguire can still exist in 2022

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If you watch the every touch videos of his performances rather than the highlights he’s pretty useless on the ball. Gives it away a lot - he would be slaughtered here. I want a team of technical hardworking footballers - the striker role is changing - sign Nkunku and stick him up top in a fluid front 3.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If I remember right, West Ham had a bid turned down for him in summer?
Don't know about West Ham but we've been heavily linked with him for a couple of years now, he turned us down for Benfica in 2020 and we tried again for him in 2021, I think he's now out of our price range.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you watch the every touch videos of his performances rather than the highlights he’s pretty useless on the ball. Gives it away a lot - he would be slaughtered here. I want a team of technical hardworking footballers - the striker role is changing - sign Nkunku and stick him up top in a fluid front 3.
Inclined to agree, I think more of a 9.5 is probably the way forward because the no.9 market is awful (less Mbappe and Haaland who are totally out of our market). Only thing is we run the risk of the side lacking a proven goalscorer. Rashford is MIA; Sancho put up decent but not amazing goalscoring numbers in Germany; Fernandes doesn't seem to score as much any more without penalties; and Elanga is a kid.

Cavani's definitely gone, and I think Ronaldo probably will be too.

Crick

Everton are in trouble financially whether they go down or not. Both Richarlison and DCL will probably have to go to cover the sponsorship black hole. I'd be shocked if we weren't in for one or both. It's what we do.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not the sort of striker we would go for. Pretty sure we’ve earmarked Lewandowski to replace Ronaldo in summer 2023

cafecillos

Can someone edit the title to correct the spelling of the surname? The correct spelling is Núñez.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I do not have the knowledge or expertise to challenge any coach or Arteta the way how they use their players or setup their team. I can only say Auba doesn't do well in build up play and his pace running behind defender is his weapon. His last two season with us is a disappointment and he fell out with Arteta as well, and lead to his free transfer to barcelona. He is doing really well in Barcelona at the moment.

Back to this topic. I don't believe False 9 is the only way or the best way a team should play. I believe every coach will take a prime 97/98 Brazilian Ronaldo over Lacazette regardless of the system (it is just an example). There are more than one way to play football.
I'm not asking you to challenge. I'm asking you how Arteta plays Auba this season. This only requires football understanding when you watch the match. From what I watched, Arteta used Auba the same way how he used Laca.

If the striker is as good as Brazilian Ronaldo or Haaland then yes. Unfortunately, not all striker is as good as Brazilian Ronaldo or even Haaland. And I dare to say this about Darwin Nunez that he's nowhere near R9 or even Haaland. This is why managers nowdays prefer false 9. If Lukaku is anywhere near as good as R9, he wouldn't be on the bench to forced Tuchel to play false 9.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Who would we use? Do we have anyone that can play that role? Havertz, jota and foden are smart players. Lazacette is an natural number 9 anyway.
Nkunku may be? Dybala for free? Invest big on Felix? Or some other players who has skill to hold the ball and turn (like Martial 19/20) and normally plays as second striker or wider players who has great first touch, work rate, aggression in his game?

Laca has been used as false 9 by Arteta this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Inclined to agree, I think more of a 9.5 is probably the way forward because the no.9 market is awful (less Mbappe and Haaland who are totally out of our market). Only thing is we run the risk of the side lacking a proven goalscorer. Rashford is MIA; Sancho put up decent but not amazing goalscoring numbers in Germany; Fernandes doesn't seem to score as much any more without penalties; and Elanga is a kid.

Cavani's definitely gone, and I think Ronaldo probably will be too.
To a degree, but such strikers only work in a certain type of team. We’d need to do a lot more to get the full benefit of a false 9. No point in having a link forward if we are not a link team. If we want to continue down this outdated road of speed and crossing, then Darwin works fine. If not, we’d need to upgrade our midfield and full backs too.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just a small point lads, if Pep had managed to get Kane or Ronaldo in the summer then they wouldn’t be playing a false 9 system as their go-to system

gajender

Just a small point lads, if Pep had managed to get Kane or Ronaldo in the summer then they wouldn’t be playing a false 9 system as their go-to system
Ronaldo yes but Kane now a days is more of a false 9 anyways but with the added advantage of being brilliant goalscorer as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.