Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Exact conversation I had with friend last night - hence why I think we aren’t going for him unless Ronaldo accept a bench role for >50% games which I can’t see.

I just don’t see us playing two up top. I think we’ll gun for a striker to learn off Ronnie for a year, and then become our first choice in the season after.
Ye that sounds like the most ideal thing to do. That’s why we should of gone all in for that young striker city have signed from river plate. Not sure who we could get who’d be happy playing second choice for a season though..

Primex

It's either Nunez,shick or jovic in my opinion.
And I would pick Nunez over both.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I watched the clip and him naming Darwin definitely stood out considering the other names were Aguero, Messi, Mbappe and Haaland.
They are probably praying we spunk all our kitty on him. Or he actually does rate him and wants to emphasise he should play at that level. Really off otherwise.

The "not playing in the CL" is go-to media fabrication/ABU dig. There's absolutely no chance that's a real reason not to move somewhere for someone of his age and status.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We can't really on Ronaldo alone, and we can't really on an inexperienced backup to come on and not score the goal we need. Get a proper striker and if CR7 sulks on the bench sometimes so be it, he's gone next year anyways. Lots of teams can accommodate multiple superstars, I don't see why we can't manage it properly for just a year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He did ok for us in his first season here. Got to give credit where its due.

But he always had his tims and jeans on.

After watching this julien alvarez score 6 goals, I just feel we've missed the boat on yet another potentially top tier striker. One who we were strongly linked with as well.
So because Alvarez scores 6 in one game against some plodders, you'd take him over a striker who's scored over 30 goals in a top european league, and a good handful in the CL?

Blood Mage

He won't be coming to us and I'm fine with that, we need a more technical striker. I hope he doesn't join one of our rivals mind.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's going to a CL side. I'll have a pound bet with anyone in it!
But this is why we always land up paying them major $$ to bring them over. We buy and overpay when we are not in a position of strength. It used to be called the United tax under Fergie. But post-Fergie its just lack of strategic approach to transfers -- buying by committee.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we need a more technical striker.
? Why don't we just play a midfielder up front in that case?

Who else is there available that you describe?

Strikers are about scoring goals, and this guy does it very well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ive listened to the podcast now and it was just a speculative shout from Whitwell.

They joked after that the twitter aggregators would go nuts from a throwaway sentence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Exact conversation I had with friend last night - hence why I think we aren’t going for him unless Ronaldo accept a bench role for >50% games which I can’t see.

I just don’t see us playing two up top. I think we’ll gun for a striker to learn off Ronnie for a year, and then become our first choice in the season after.
I think actually Darwin quite suits Ronaldo. Ronaldo has never been best as a lone striker, this holds true last year too. Darwin also does a lot of his best work drifting into wide positions and making runs in behind there. He also has a ton of pressing and work rate, which can help cover for Ronaldo's lack of. Ronaldo can play with him, and we can still use a striker when Ronaldo is rested in that case with him being replaced after next year.

mu4c_20le

We have a good relationship with Mendes, so if he's getting involved then it looks petty positive

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wait, why would the outcome of the UCL Final affect his decision re coming to United?
Maybe he wants to do a Hazard style announcement, but instead of joining the European Champions he will join the team that hasn't been close to competing in the final.

mu4c_20le

The point Whitwell was trying to make there is that Mendes might not want to buy competition for Ronaldo at the same club.
Probably a fair point but Mendes strikes me as a serious guy who would not waste time if either he or his client had reservations about coming here

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So because Alvarez scores 6 in one game against some plodders, you'd take him over a striker who's scored over 30 goals in a top european league, and a good handful in the CL?
Portugal isn't a top European league. It's worse than Bundesliga and Serie A, which are already way behind PL and LL.

Dost was also top scorer over there with one goal more in 17/18.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would feel more confident of a top player from Primeira Liga performing here than one from the Bundesliga.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Portugal isn't a top European league. It's worse than Bundesliga and Serie A, which are already way behind PL and LL.

To be fair, he's been scoring in the Champions League too.

izec

You don't look only at goals scored as a number. You look at his qualities and how he scored the goals, and if he would have a similar impact in a better league. Him scoring against top opposition in the CL hints that he could perform in a better league as well.

If young Lewandowski or Cavani or whoever would score 30 goals in Portugal, you would dismiss him as well by your barometer, because some Dutch clogger managed similar. You obviously have to look beyond that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If he thinks Nunez is his toughest opponents. He would find it difficult to play in the old era where there were lot of no 9 like Nunez or even better.
Yeah, Centre forwards are a lot less physical compared to the days bygone.

He would still be world class i reckon, probably just caught off guard by his tenacity.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We will be interested. Media will hype the move to United. Then, out of nowhere, he’ll be spotted at Chelsea/Liverpool/City. Signed for peanuts.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If he thinks Nunez is his toughest opponents. He would find it difficult to play in the old era where there were lot of no 9 like Nunez or even better.
You can only play who is Infront of you.i would have been sacked in the corporate world nowadays with the choices of words I would use on a daily basis

Status
Not open for further replies.