Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

If he joins I'd feel sorry for him if that fee is correct, he'll constantly be compared to Haarland, even though he'll cost considerably less as our agent fees will be vastly smaller, fans and the media will expect the same output.
I don't think so though, its not an outlandish fee for a striker that have impressed in the UCL and everyone knows Haaland would have cost upwards of 150m if it wasn't for his buyout clause.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We should definitely pass , he named his son Darwin, only a psychopath would do so.
This won't end well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Based on the talk, it feels odd that ETH would have demanded we sign him. Seems counter productive to implementing possesion football
I would question Pep if he signs this guy since he never had this type of striker playing in his system. But ETH has this type of strikers playing in his system before like Haller and Huntelaar. May be ETH believes he has the method to fit in Nunez in his system just like how he fits in Haller in. The following stats show some Haller’s flaw on possession which similar to Nunez:

Nunez has 66.5% passing accuracy this season, while Haller has 71.4% passing accuracy. But Haller at Frankfurt and West Ham had around 64-66% passing accuracy before he joined Ajax.

This season Nunez has 2 unseccessful touch per game while Haller has 2.4. Nunez has 0.9 dispossessed per game while Haller has 1.5.

Telsim

What's the opinion here between Nkunku and Nunez - I understand they are not exactly the same type of player but let's compare them as forward talents.

Say if we get Nunez and Pool get Nkuknu - who would have had a better signing? Or are they too different to compare at all?
Definitely Nkunku. A much more complete and versatile player. Getting him will be a coup.

Nunez is much more limited and I don't understand why we are going so hard for him if we are looking to play even a semi-possession style. Once again we are going for the subpar option in my opinion. I'm not saying he is bad, but I doubt he would be a resounding success in the PL.

C3Pique

We desperately need workrate up top which will compensate for less refinement. This guy looks like he can run for days which might suit EtH over someone less mobile.

laughtersassassin

Big risk and will be overpriced as the league has just seen what Diaz has done in the Prem.

That said we have very little options so ...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Big risk and will be overpriced as the league has just seen what Diaz has done in the Prem.

That said we have very little options so ...
How is it a big risk if the league has just seen what Diaz has done in the prem?

Why is it fine for Liverpool but another attacker won't be able to?

We've seen the last few Portuguese imports taking to the premier league absolutely fine. I'd argue there's even less risk than buying from Germany.

Nunez just played against Liverpool in 2 legs a few weeks ago and scored against them. If he can score against Liverpool why are we thinking he can't manage it against anybody else?

laughtersassassin

How is it a big risk if the league has just seen what Diaz has done in the prem?

Why is it fine for Liverpool but another attacker won't be able to?

We've seen the last few Portuguese imports taking to the premier league absolutely fine. I'd argue there's even less risk than buying from Germany.

Nunez just played against Liverpool in 2 legs a few weeks ago and scored against them. If he can score against Liverpool why are we thinking he can't manage it against anybody else?
No I'm saying we are likely going to have to pay a much bigger fee than Liverpool did for Diaz. That's the risk.

Adam-Utd

No I'm saying we are likely going to have to pay a much bigger fee than Liverpool did for Diaz. That's the risk.
Strikers always cost more. With add ons diaz could cost £50m anyway which won't be far off.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Why does it seems that United are prioritizing a striker ? Romano also confirmed this. This block aint gonna work in a team full off prats. We desperatly need a cm , cb and fullbacks before a striker. Same old United wanting the sexy marketable toy again before the fundament ?

Adam-Utd

Why does it seems that United are prioritizing a striker ? Romano also confirmed this. This block aint gonna work in a team full off prats. We desperatly need a cm , cb and fullbacks before a striker. Same old United wanting the sexy marketable toy again before the fundament ?
Becuase we only have a 37 year old Ronaldo ?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Becuase we only have a 37 year old Ronaldo ?
Who is still world class. We also have martial as back up if we fail on finding a striker this summer. Im not saying we dont need a striker but other spots are way more important imo.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because we have only one striker (who is 37 years old). Dmc is priority no1 but striker is just behind that

Adam-Utd

Who is still world class. We also have martial as back up if we fail on finding a striker this summer. Im not saying we dont need a striker but other spots are way more important imo.
Ronaldo can't play 50 games in a row next year.

Martial is a possibility but he's hardly reliable either. We need a better option.

MUFC OK

Lets just sign one of Nunez/nkunku and get one in the door (on consultation with ETH). Both great options but no more than 70m, euros please.

I'd actually much much rather go for Nunez as with Bundesliga attackers to the PL, you have to take their stats with a pinch of salt.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's because we've lost two strikers in Cavani and Greenwood, obviously want rid of Martial as well and our remaining first choice striker will be 38 years old this season.

It has nothing to do with marketability and everything to do with squad composition. As Rangnick has openly said, we obviously need a CF this summer.

It's not going to be at the expense of a midfielder which we also obviously need, but it will rightly be more of a priority than any other position.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Ronaldo can't play 50 games in a row next year.

Martial is a possibility but he's hardly reliable either. We need a better option.
Dont disagree but do you really think a striker is the most important spot to fix ? For me it ranks bottom just above the keeper. Midfield is the obvious weakness. We lose the midfield battle against most teams. We also dont have a single world class centerback, and cant play with a high line. Fullbacks is also important in a Ten Hag system. We have mid to low table ones. We also dont have any decent wide attackers either beside Sancho who still hasnt deliver yet buy hopefully will next season.
Ronaldo still is good enough and we have Martial as a back up. We can also use Bruno as a false 9 or use Rashford there as well. With a functional team a lot could work up top. Just look at City and Pool. In a disfunctional team the striker spot just becomes a graveyard shift.

It all depend on our budget and price though. Spending 80m on Nunez with 125m budget for example would be awfull. Getting him for 60 with a 200m budget is not bad at all.

Last edited:

We Need Another Rebuild

Dont disagree but do you really think a striker is the most important spot to fix ? For me it ranks bottom just above the keeper. Midfield is the obvious weakness. We lose the midfield battle against most teams. We also dont have a single world class centerback, and cant play with a high line. Fullbacks is also important in a Ten Hag system. We have mid to low table ones. We also dont have any decent wide attackers either beside Sancho who still hasnt deliver yet buy hopefully will next season.
Ronaldo still is good enough and we have Martial as a back up. We can also use Bruno as a false 9 or use Rashford there as well. With a functional team a lot could work up top. Just look at City and Pool. In a disfunctional team the striker spot just becomes a graveyard shift.

It all depend on our budget and price though. Spending 80m on Nunez with 125m budget for example would be awfull. Getting him for 60 with a 200m budget is not bad at all.
We need a young ST capable of becoming the main ST next season as Ronaldo is 38, Cavani is gone, Greenwood less said the better.

Martial the player who doesn't run and publicly wants to leave as Backup?

Maybe ETH wants to implement a proper spine to work with, a ST, CDM, CB and a 2nd CM depending on budget and targets.

Adam-Utd

Unfortunately we have holes everywhere. It's up to the management to decide where we need fixing the most, but I think we do need at least 1 striker, 1 attacker and a midfielder as a minimum.

I'd sign Nunez and Nkunku for attacking positions. Both energetic, quick and bags of goals.

CDM we need to go all in on Tchoaumeni, but that might be tricky with competition.

As you say though in an ideal world id buy 2 new fullbacks, another CB too.

I'd like to see what he can do with the current squad though, a good coach should be able to revive some of these players. The likes Maguire/Martial/Rashford might be rejuvenated.

Cloud7

Unfortunately we have holes everywhere. It's up to the management to decide where we need fixing the most, but I think we do need at least 1 striker, 1 attacker and a midfielder as a minimum.

I'd sign Nunez and Nkunku for attacking positions. Both energetic, quick and bags of goals.

CDM we need to go all in on Tchoaumeni, but that might be tricky with competition.

As you say though in an ideal world id buy 2 new fullbacks, another CB too.

I'd like to see what he can do with the current squad though, a good coach should be able to revive some of these players. The likes Maguire/Martial/Rashford might be rejuvenated.
Our attack is the most pressing concern in my opinion. Ronaldo can't play every game, and even then, while he is still very good, he isn't the player he once was. Around him we have Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Elanga. I think Sancho will flourish under ETH, but we do need another attacker ideally for the RW in my opinion. We definitely need at least one CM with the outgoings this summer. Ideally we would get two, but Fred, Bruno and a new midfielder is what we will probably go with next season.

troylocker

Hope we land him. Will be an upgrade on what we have and works his socks off every game with fantastic workrate both offensively and defensively.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are you sure it’s “and” not “or”? If we sign them
both, our summer budget would be completely gone, which means another season without new midfielders, let alone new full backs and CB as required to play high line defence.

Big Andy

Bloke
both, our summer budget would be completely gone, which means another season without new midfielders, let alone new full backs and CB as required to play high line defence.
This should be the summer where we don't have to worry about "budget". IF we need to sign 6-8 players of the required standard, then we're going to need to spend some of the profits we have made.

If they scrimp and save this summer, when all of our rivals are building from a position of strength and we need a full rebuild, then we're truly fecked.

Adam-Utd

Why would it be? Nkunku isn't an out and out striker. He won't be leading the line for us in the PL that's for sure.

If we did sign him it'll be to play behind the striker or a wide option that roams around.

Nunez is more likely to play as a lone striker, he's got the size and fight to handle himself.

Obviously this is all speculation anyway, really depends on what ETH wants.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why would it be? Nkunku isn't an out and out striker. He won't be leading the line for us in the PL that's for sure.

If we did sign him it'll be to play behind the striker or a wide option that roams around.

Nunez is more likely to play as a lone striker, he's got the size and fight to handle himself.

Obviously this is all speculation anyway, really depends on what ETH wants.
Also we are losing so many players in the summer, we need players too.

We will have Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford from the current team, Martial returns from the loan.

Ronaldo isn't even sure to stay, Bruno might be pushed to CM position and we don't know what happens with Rashford and Martial. At the moment, only sure player we have is Sancho and Bruno (lets assume he will play attacking role).

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If we're getting him and kane for the same price who should we choose and why ?

I can only see kane coming if spurs don't get into top 4.

Adam-Utd

Also we are losing so many players in the summer, we need players too.

We will have Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford from the current team, Martial returns from the loan.

Ronaldo isn't even sure to stay, Bruno might be pushed to CM position and we don't know what happens with Rashford and Martial. At the moment, only sure player we have is Sancho and Bruno (lets assume he will play attacking role).
The only questions i'd have would be about Hannibal/Amad/Garner and whether they can step up now too, but I don't think we can take the risk of waiting right now.

Blood Mage

We need to think in terms of players who suit our manager's system and way of playing, and not just going for every shiny new toy on the market. He would suit Klopp more than Ten Hag IMO so I could see him going to Liverpool.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We need to think in terms of players who suit our manager's system and way of playing, and not just going for every shiny new toy on the market. He would suit Klopp more than Ten Hag IMO so I could see him going to Liverpool.
Nunez looks like a flexible number 9 so he should suit any team really.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Based on the talk, it feels odd that ETH would have demanded we sign him. Seems counter productive to implementing possesion football
One of the criticisms Ajax fans seem to have of him is that he actually loves having a big lump up front (Dolberg, Haller, Brobbey).

Suv666

Ah man I don't think he'll be a success but if ETH wants him then fair enough.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The price is a little high but I like that we’re being a bit outside the box for once. In another timeline I‘d fully expect us to go all in for Kane.

Abraxas

Huh? We have one bloke who can play as striker that is 37 years of age.

That is an absolute priority, if you don't put the ball in the net (and our wide forwards don't do this nearly enough to compensate) you're not winning football matches.

It's just as much of a big deal as those positions.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We have 1 forward at the moment and he's 37 yrs old. Cavani, Martial and the other one, are gone or are likely going. I would say getting in a forward is top priority.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Huh? We have one bloke who can play as striker that is 37 years of age.

That is an absolute priority, if you don't put the ball in the net (and our wide forwards don't do this nearly enough to compensate) you're not winning football matches.

It's just as much of a big deal as those positions.
A striker who is still up for it and will probably play most of our PL games next season.
On the other side we dont have any decent midfielders after Matic and Pogba goes. We have crap defenders beside maybe Varane who is made of glass. We have fullbacks who is no better than Watfords.
We basicly have to replace 80% if the team but where do we start with a limited budget to get the best out of next season? I dont think using 70% of our budget on a striker is the best thing to do when Ronaldo is still here and will likely play regulary. We have to be able do progress with the ball and the current lot is not up to the task. A new striker is not gonna change that.
On the other side im all for this type of deal if we have a much bigger budget than the latest reports.

Just for fun: If i could choose 4 players from Pool i would take Van DJK, Robertson , Trent and Fabinho over their attacker and beleive we would be a better team.
At City i would take Rodri, De Bruyne, Cancelo and Dias over their attackers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.