Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

A striker who is still up for it and will probably play most of our games next season.
On the other side we dont have any decent midfielders after Matic and Pogba goes. We have crap defenders beside maybe Varane who is made of glass. We have fullbacks who is no better than Watfords.
We basicly have to replace 80% if the team but were do we start with a limited budget to get the best out of next season? I dont think using 70% of our budget on a striker is the best thing to do when Ronaldo is still here and will likely play regulary. We have to be able do progress with the ball and the current lot is not up to the task. A new striker is not gonna change that.
On the other side im all for this type of deal if we have a much bigger budget than the latest reports.
Being "up for it" isn't enough. You can't go into a season with a 37 going on 38 year old as your only consistent source of goals as a big club. Anything can happen, he's a phenomenon but even he is not superman that is immune to time and the possibility of injury and fatigue, and we shouldn't pretend that he is. He's at a stage of his career where managing him is going to become increasingly important. It's common sense that he needs support and that's why our interim identified a need for strikers.

70% is a figure you've pulled out of nowhere. We don't know our proper budget, and we don't know who we're truly interested in and we don't know the proper valuation. It might not even be this chap. I agree with your assessment on other positions, we have to be smart enough to address the most important ones within a budget. That's normal. There's 3 or 4 that are absolutely crucial.

yamo123x

Flirting with liverpool on social media, somehow i think we will feck this one up and regret it

Hughie77

With the greedy ugly Norwegian going to City, I think its a must we sign this guy, and if I'm honsest another striker as well. Just hope the scum don't sell Mane and go after this guy because if that happens he's off there.
So hurry up and get this done

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's probably the only signing I feel somewhat confident we'll sign. Don't think there's a chance for Tchouameni and de Jong for us, and think Antony and Timber are next summer things (more down to Ajax).

Judas

Open to offers
First sign of him liking a Liverpool related post and he is a nailed on superstar, no chance he'll flop and we'll regret it for the rest of time if we don't sign him. God bless the Caf.

laughtersassassin

By the sounds of it we are only signing one Midfielder in the summer so the rest of the signings won't matter as our Midfield will still be shite

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's probably the only signing I feel somewhat confident we'll sign. Don't think there's a chance for Tchouameni and de Jong for us, and think Antony and Timber are next summer things (more down to Ajax).
Think we will sign Timber but a left footed right winger will be next year I guess. We have the kids coming back too.

hobbers

Compare him with the likes of Schick and Jonathan David and he's been better than both for chance creation, key passes and assists. And fewer poor touches per 90 than them as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Let's not start comparing Nunez to Haaland. That way only leads to pain if we do end up signing him.

Jibbs

I’d repeat. It is extremely important that either we sign him and Antony or Nkunku and Lautaro.

Mainoldo

Lautaro is a much better choice imo , but Arsenal will probably go for him.

Exactly why he is not worth anything like 70-80m and the risk is way to high imo. A big chance he will flop wherever he goes.
If the competition is Arsenal…

Might as well discuss what number shirt he will have. 9 or 14?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
He also said AWB would lock down our right hand side for the next 10 years prior to signing him. I wouldn't put much stock into what Ste 'Meulensteen' Howson has to say about transfers.

Dont care about his opinion, but the stats he brought up are concerning and every time i`ve watched him play he doesnt look like a big talented fotballer. And when a player like that doesnt deliver goals its like playing with 10 men. I want our striker to be good on the ball as well, and for a long time i wanted us to try a false 9. Ten Hag played with that in his first rebuild so it could be a thing.

Bestietom

We have to make a statement now that City has signed Haaland. We should go and sign both Nunez and Nkunku

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We have to make a statement now that City has signed Haaland. We should go and sign both Nunez and Nkunku
That should never be a motive. Like when we hired Mourinho when they hired Pep. If these guys genuinely fit into the team and are the best options to sign then yes, otherwise no. We have midfeilders to sign.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We don't have to make a statement.
Jeez, this place is going to be a nightmare in the summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dont care about his opinion, but the stats he brought up are concerning and every time i`ve watched him play he doesnt look like a big talented fotballer. And when a player like that doesnt deliver goals its like playing with 10 men. I want our striker to be good on the ball as well, and for a long time i wanted us to try a false 9. Ten Hag played with that in his first rebuild so it could be a thing.
Those stats just aren't very relative to be honest.

Passing stats for strikers are pretty pointless as most of the time they are under more pressure from defenders. They're often trying killer passes/creative passes into the box, which are always less likely to succeed than a central defender giving a 5 yard pass to a fullback etc.

Nunez likes to carry the ball himself and runs a lot. He doesn't just stand up front and hope for the best like some strikers.

Just look at their most recent match against Porto. Who was the guy chasing back the striker in the 90th minute to try and stop the goal? Nunez.

Most importantly though he's a proper striker who sticks the ball in the net when given the chance. Why are people so concerned whether he might complete 5 extra passes over 90 minutes instead of if he sticks the ball in the back of the net?

His record in the CL has been solid, his goal scoring this year in Portugal has been fantastic. We've seen with Luiz Diaz and Fernandes that top portuguese players can translate to England very well.

He will be perfect for us.

You are correct, and our statement should be winning the youth cup tonight.
Lets get our own house in order
Run the club properly, have players who want to work hard and put in a shift.
Have a manager with a vision of how to play and who is capable of implementing it
Have players who spend more time on the pitch and less time on the treatment table
Have a team that plays with energy and aggression and gets supporters off their seats
Pay appropriate wages and if you don't want to be here clear off
Clear the toxin out of our club then we can heal and start to grow
And yes the Glazers are a toxin at the heart of our club that is dragging us down

Reactions: golden_blunder

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You are correct, and our statement should be winning the youth cup tonight.
Lets get our own house in order
Run the club properly, have players who want to work hard and put in a shift.
Have a manager with a vision of how to play and who is capable of implementing it
Have players who spend more time on the pitch and less time on the treatment table
Have a team that plays with energy and aggression and gets supporters off their seats
Pay appropriate wages and if you don't want to be here clear off
Clear the toxin out of our club then we can heal and start to grow
And yes the Glazers are a toxin at the heart of our club that is dragging us down
I agree with most of that, worry about getting our own house in order.
only thing I disagree with, I don’t think many players want to spend time on the treatment table, they want to play

Jibbs

With zero money left to address midfield or defense, woop.
We need to spend money. There is no question about it, had they continued with the usual 2,3 signings, nothing will improve.
Ralf is absolutely right, United needs a surgery.

Rolaholic

Always felt Lautaro was a bit overrated when Inter were valuing him over 100m.

He was magic paired together with Lukaku and he's stepped in nicely as the main no.9 this season but don't think he's worth more than 50m in the market. The consistency seems to be lacking often.

I feel like he'd be a good fit for a side like Arsenal but not United.

locixxx

Always felt Lautaro was a bit overrated when Inter were valuing him over 100m.

He was magic paired together with Lukaku and he's stepped in nicely as the main no.9 this season but don't think he's worth more than 50m in the market. The consistency seems to be lacking often.

I feel like he'd be a good fit for a side like Arsenal but not United.
Time to wake up my friend, unfortunately

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sancho, Nkunku and Lautaro or
Sancho, Nunez and Antony is a tasty proposition.
Antony has had one decent season in Europe and that's in the Dutch League too. He's incredibly unproven.

I'd be shocked if we go for him tbh.

Rolaholic

Time to wake up my friend, unfortunately
I mean that stylistically, he'd fit in Arteta's system well

Not sure about us yet since it remains to be seen how we'll look under Ten Hag but as of now hard not to think he wouldn't struggle heavily here.

Status
Not open for further replies.