David Alaba | Real Madrid

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Is he worth that much of money? Seems like a ridiculous amount. I’m not sure he’s an upgrade over Ramos or Varane.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Is he worth that much of money? Seems like a ridiculous amount. I’m not sure he’s an upgrade over Ramos or Varane.
Way too much for an average CB.

edit: let‘s call him good instead of average

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s more the fact that money wasn’t given to Ramos (who wanted to stay) or chucked at Varane to try and keep him. Really weird signing.

DWelbz19

Ramos is 45 and Varane is a poor man's William Prunier.
Very valid points, but Alaba is actually rather naff at CB, and he actually wants to play in midfield. Scooby Doo’s less confused than this chap

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s more the fact that money wasn’t given to Ramos (who wanted to stay) or chucked at Varane to try and keep him. Really weird signing.
It was offered to Varane apparently. Madrid put forward a more lucrative package than United but his mind had been made up.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Zahavi only got 5.2m?? A certain agent is lol’d while holding his big fat tummy.

tomaldinho1

Is that accurate? Surely it is EUR19.47m including options/incentivised numbers, otherwise they've signed a decent CB who hasn't got much resale value and have made him, what, their third highest earner behind Bale & Hazard? I get they have saved on the transfer fee but that's a crazy salary.

Paxi

Is that accurate? Surely it is EUR19.47m including options/incentivised numbers, otherwise they've signed a decent CB who hasn't got much resale value and have made him, what, their third highest earner behind Bale & Hazard? I get they have saved on the transfer fee but that's a crazy salary.
It’s a very reliable source.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Way too much for an average CB.

edit: let‘s call him good instead of average
Yea if they plan to play him as a CB then they're up for disappointment. I mean he's good but hardly worth what they'll be paying him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He can cover many positions. Think it's wrong to judge him as a CB alone.

DWelbz19

He’s predominantly going to be a CB, though. They’ve got him, Eder Militao, and Nacho.

Pickle85

Off topic but how mental is it that Bale and Hazard are their two highest paid players?! They've done some dreadful business over the last five to ten years.

bosskeano

these types of contracts are exactly why Madrid and Barcelona are in the situation they're in now being skint of money and needing to move players on before they can re-invest in their squads

Paxi

Off topic but how mental is it that Bale and Hazard are their two highest paid players?! They've done some dreadful business over the last five to ten years.
Maybe resigning Bale wasn’t great but an actual signing for Real was amazing. He’s has won 4 CL’s and was key in three of those wins iirc.

We need an rvn

these types of contracts are exactly why Madrid and Barcelona are in the situation they're in now being skint of money and needing to move players on before they can re-invest in their squads
DDG on £375k p/w...we're no better but perhaps we've learned from that contract and now realise putting a player on that much more than others in the team create disharmony.

NoLogo

Are the people in charge there really this incompetent? I mean, they do know that their league has a salary cap to avoid their teams from going bankrupt and amounting too much debt, so why are they acting like that's not a factor and hand out stupid deals like that? I really don't get it.

RUCK4444

I like Alaba but cannot believe Madrid have managed to lose both Ramos and Varane the same summer and are seemingly happy to play Alaba at CB (where he has genuine questions marks.)

Will be interesting to see how it pans out for them, I wish La Liga was still on Sky/BTSport

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You don't pay a player that much to "cover many positions", you can only play at one postition at a time and they already have Nacho when they need to fill a spot. You pay that kind of money for a really good player at at least 1 position, and the only real position where Alaba is top class is left back. Unfortunately for Real he doesn't want to play there anymore.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You don't pay a player that much to "cover many positions", you can only play at one postition at a time and they already have Nacho when they need to fill a spot. You pay that kind of money for a really good player at at least 1 position, and the only real position where Alaba is top class is left back. Unfortunately for Real he doesn't want to play there anymore.
That is not correct. Or better phrased: i have never heard Alaba say that. He will play at CB because Mendy is a better LB than Alaba and they only have Militao (who i rate) and Nacho (who i don’t rate) at CB.

Alaba is very good at LB, good/above average at CB and average as a CM.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I still think he is best as a left FB but it seems after selling Varane and letting Ramos go, CB is exactly where he is going to play for them.
Yeah, for sure. Also don’t forget that Real has a better LB in Mendy.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That is not correct. Or better phrased: i have never heard Alaba say that. He will play at CB because Mendy is a better LB than Alaba and they only have Militao (who i rate) and Nacho (who i don’t rate) at CB.

Alaba is very good at LB, good/above average at CB and average as a CM.
I've seen it reported in several in reliable german newspapers for a couple of years now. Bayern even played several games with Hernandez as a left back (who's better when playing as CB) and Alaba as CB (who's better as a left back), it was pretty absurd.

Either way, paying 20M/year for an average+CB is waaaaaay to much money.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Are they really going to play him at CB? Thought they'd stick him somewhere in midfield or even just LB with Marcelo mostly bench warming.

Would've thought for CB combination it would've been Militao and then pick up someone like Pau Torres.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Are they really going to play him at CB? Thought they'd stick him somewhere in midfield or even just LB with Marcelo mostly bench warming.

Would've thought for CB combination it would've been Militao and then pick up someone like Pau Torres.
LB over Mendy? DM over Casemiro? Never ever. He’s being paid like a starter and Real has a Varane-sized hole next to Militao.