David Alaba....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

I see a lot of people mentioning using him at CB but isn’t part of the reason he wants to leave because he wants to play in midfield. Sure I read or heard that somewhere.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I see a lot of people mentioning using him at CB but isn’t part of the reason he wants to leave because he wants to play in midfield. Sure I read or heard that somewhere.
To be fair I wouldn’t be against having him as a CM/DM in a double pivot he’d be quite handy!

PedroMendez

Acolyte
he hardly ever played there for Bayern. I think he played in this role for Austria a few games years ago, but apparently it wasn't great (I personally haven't seen any of these games). There was talk about this when he renewed his contract, but I havn't read anything about this for a long time. I don't think this is relevant at all, but I also don't think that it would be an option. No top team is going to sign him with the promise him to play him as midfielder.
He looks really comfortable as CB and I wouldn't be surprised, if he wants to continue in this role even if he leaves Munich (and not play as FB).

Andersons Dietician

he hardly ever played there for Bayern. I think he played in this role for Austria a few games years ago, but apparently it wasn't great (I personally haven't seen any of these games). There was talk about this when he renewed his contract, but I havn't read anything about this for a long time. I don't think this is relevant at all, but I also don't think that it would be an option. No top team is going to sign him with the promise him to play him as midfielder.
He looks really comfortable as CB and I wouldn't be surprised, if he wants to continue in this role even if he leaves Munich (and not play as FB).
I think the reason he didn’t play there was because of Kimmich when I’ve seen him do it he’s always been really good. Haven’t seen much of him at CB. However I’m pretty sure it was recently this came out as it was when someone was talking about him being deployed as a CB and how that came about.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
What do you think will happen with him
Nobody knows for sure. I think there's a chance we still extend him if both parties are willing to meet in the middle which is a big if given the events of the past few weeks.

Most likely he will leave on a free in 2021 because Hansi Flick would go on a rampage if the loses both Thiago and Alaba in the same summer.

There's a small chance we'll sell him if the offer is very good, but I honestly don't see it.

croadyman

Nobody knows for sure. I think there's a chance we still extend him if both parties are willing to meet in the middle which is a big if given the events of the past few weeks.

Most likely he will leave on a free in 2021 because Hansi Flick would go on a rampage if the loses both Thiago and Alaba in the same summer.

There's a small chance we'll sell him if the offer is very good, but I honestly don't see it.
Presumably he will go to Spain when he leaves as everything I have seen seems to suggest that is the case

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Presumably he will go to Spain when he leaves as everything I have seen seems to suggest that is the case
Exactly. PSG and a couple of EPL clubs would have probably gone for him even this summer if he was interested in such a move. Just think about Pep Guardiola at Manchester City who would probably kill for David Alaba as his new LCB.

He wants to join Barca or Real Madrid or alternatively receive a big fat last contract.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think the reason he didn’t play there was because of Kimmich when I’ve seen him do it he’s always been really good. Haven’t seen much of him at CB. However I’m pretty sure it was recently this came out as it was when someone was talking about him being deployed as a CB and how that came about.
Alaba played all of last season at CB. And won a treble doing so.
Davies was the LB.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he can bring strong performances for a couple years I don't care about paying his agent. He can be a brilliant stop gap across multiple positions. A leader too.

DRM

If he can bring strong performances for a couple years I don't care about paying his agent. He can be a brilliant stop gap across multiple positions. A leader too.
Stop gap? He'd be our best defender by a country mile!!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
All moves are money motivated.

If we had any chance of getting him here we should. He’d be our best CB, best DM and best LB.
He means purely money motivated. And he’s right we should steer clear if so.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Fun fact: Most people here seem to think he's of the best LBs and CBs. The main motivator for him leaving (despite money), however, is that he wants to play in midfield. So, would you sign him as a midfielder? :)

gajender

Fun fact: Most people here seem to think he's of the best LBs and CBs. The main motivator for him leaving (despite money), however, is that he wants to play in midfield. So, would you sign him as a midfielder? :)
No club would spend big on his wages and play him in the Midfield that a non starter unfortunately for him .

gajender

How good is he in midfield
I haven't seen him play in Midfield for Bayern , saw him play there for Austria can't even remember when , kind of money we would need to bring him here we could get plenty better Midfielders than him it simply isn't worth it.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
The main motivating factor is money. He wants a lot of it and mentions Bayern's broken promise to give him an opportunity in CDM as one of the reasons why his demands are so high. Unless he's completely deluded he must be fully aware that no team in the world is going to pay him 20-25M € a year + sign-on and agent fees to play in midfield.

He's at best above average on that position, because he's much better when he can step into plays which is not always possible in central midfield but much easier as a CB.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I mean, the way Bayern plays that high line, he is practically a CB on the DM position. Not sure what he's complaining about... :lol:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I mean, the way Bayern plays that high line, he is practically a CB on the DM position. Not sure what he's complaining about... :lol:
So far I haven't found anything about him complaining about his new role. Quite the opposite, actually.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Martinez is there as well, I thought he had already left Bayern. Nothing offical was announced but it seemed pretty certain.
He seems to have some issues setting up his contract with Bilbao (length and wages).

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
So far I haven't found anything about him complaining about his new role. Quite the opposite, actually.
He's not very vocal about it, but it is well known that he wants to play midfield. Not sure if he may have resigned into the situation by now.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He's not very vocal about it, but it is well known that he wants to play midfield. Not sure if he may have resigned into the situation by now.
That was back then, during his LB time. This "Franz" role is just perfect for him, and he seems to really enjoy it.

MrSingh2002

Telles and Alaba should be made the left side of our defence in the next two weeks. 1% chance it happens.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Telles and Alaba should be made the left side of our defence in the next two weeks. 1% chance it happens.
I am trying to be nice here. 1% is way too high. There is absolutely zero chance that Alaba moves to United. It is either Bayern or Barca/Real.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
He's nowhere near worth what he's asking for. He had one good year as a CB where he was hardly tested. When he was, he actually had two huge howlers which could have been very costly. When he did really well under Guardiola, the system was very different to how most coaches would set the team up. I don't think he would be able to replicate that under anyone else.

He has been stagnating for years as a left back and even though he sees himself as a CM, he's just not suited for that position. He's as one-footed as it gets. I would let him go, preferably selling him this season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair, if we go for him, he's likely to play in midfield. He's physically not suit for EPL CB imo unless if he plays under Pep.

gajender

To be fair, if we go for him, he's likely to play in midfield. He's physically not suit for EPL CB imo unless if he plays under Pep.
Yes bring a player on big wages and deploy him in a role which he has hardly ever played or excelled in what could possibly go wrong.

RU Devil

If he gets to United, he would play left back in a similar role to how Blind played there.
More like the LCB role that Blind played (alongside Smalling), although probably faster, more mobile. For those worried about him being in midfield, he is more than familiar with it. In comparison with Kante, he seems more of a fit at DM as played by Matic (or preferred to as the way to play by Ole). Considering the mooted similar salary demands that Kante has, I'd rather have Alaba as he's younger & has had less recent injuries.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Alaba as a left CB to partner Maguire - absolutely and pay whatever he wants.

Alabas as midfielder - absolutely not worth anywear near what he thinks he is worth. I would prefer Matic and Fred to him in that role.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I have to say I'm not too sad about the prospect of not having to pay David Alaba up to 125M € to play LCB for the next five seasons.

He will turn 29 years next summer and will have played 13 years for our club. Go get your bag of money David and have a successful remaining career.

SinNombre

I have to say I'm not too sad about the prospect of not having to pay David Alaba up to 125M € to play LCB for the next five seasons.

He will turn 29 years next summer and will have played 13 years for our club. Go get your bag of money David and have a successful remaining career.
Sell him this week, or let him go on a free next summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.