David Alaba....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

I can't imagine any top footballer wanting to join Arsenal any time soon. The club is in shambles. That will change someday, but not in the near future.

RoyH1

I can't imagine any top footballer wanting to join Arsenal any time soon. The club is in shambles. That will change someday, but not in the near future.
Agree. Arsenal will not be a top level club again whilst it’s owned by the Kroenke family.
That said, if they pay well, the prospect of living in London is very attractive to many young millionaires.

dinostar77

Hes got Real Madrid written all over him i think. I'm glad we arent in for him. Has Sanchez written all over him.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hes got Real Madrid written all over him i think. I'm glad we arent in for him. Has Sanchez written all over him.
Real has Mendy and Alaba would be a disaster next to Varane. And no, Alaba will not be signed as a midfielder.

Resch

Alaba should bei a bonus signing for us, nothing more. We have enough LBs, at CB he is a good fit, but he is not the perfect one, at DM or CM Alaba is good but not world class. And Alaba is no leader, just a very good player.

Pep's Suit

I'll be surprised if any team pays Alaba more than 50-60% of what he asks.

davidmichael

I know that Alaba HAS been a world class player but I don’t pretend to know enough about how good he’s been as a centre back ? I don’t think we need him at all as a left back with Shaw, Telles and also Reece Devine coming though as well as Williams.

Is Alaba a great centre back ? Is he honestly a good answer to what we need ? Obviously he’s better than Bailly, Jones and Rojo but that doesn’t answer anything as they’re all fecking awful. Being left footed is obviously a massive bonus but not if he’s not anywhere near what we actually need, we don’t need to be lumbered with more players on big contracts that aren’t up to what we need.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
I know that Alaba HAS been a world class player but I don’t pretend to know enough about how good he’s been as a centre back ? I don’t think we need him at all as a left back with Shaw, Telles and also Reece Devine coming though as well as Williams.

Is Alaba a great centre back ? Is he honestly a good answer to what we need ? Obviously he’s better than Bailly, Jones and Rojo but that doesn’t answer anything as they’re all fecking awful. Being left footed is obviously a massive bonus but not if he’s not anywhere near what we actually need, we don’t need to be lumbered with more players on big contracts that aren’t up to what we need.
At LB he is world class - he walks into any side in the world at LB bar Bayern and Liverpool who have on current form superior LBs. At CB I’m not sure he’s been properly tested yet so I’m withholding judgement.

He’s clearly pretty decent in that position being quick and positionally good as seen in his Bayern performances last season but it remains to be seen how he performs for a less dominant team and also in a more physical league if he chooses to come to the EPL.

I think he’s going to RM most likely but he’s asking for far too much money in wages+signing on fee for it to represent any kind of value.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Juve? Is Sandro still their left back?

sparx99

I’m not sure he’s physically upto it in the PL. Look how people criticise Lindelof and then you want to take a LB who is 3-4 inches smaller and lighter and face him up to big strong centre forwards. I fancy strikers would target him in the air.

Bayern are so dominant on the ball in the Bundesliga I think they can get away with it. Similar to Mascherano at Barcelona.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I’m not sure he’s physically upto it in the PL. Look how people criticise Lindelof and then you want to take a LB who is 3-4 inches smaller and lighter and face him up to big strong centre forwards. I fancy strikers would target him in the air.

Bayern are so dominant on the ball in the Bundesliga I think they can get away with it. Similar to Mascherano at Barcelona.
I agree with you even though I think that the need for a „physically imposing“ CB is overrated. Alaba simply was not very good at CB the last 2 years.

SinNombre

Looks like he will announce RM in the next week.

€10m net is a lot for a new contract in covid times.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I moved on from him after reading that Whitwell article
Good luck to him. Madrid is a fantastic city, €10m net p.a. is obviously ace and I will be missing having him at Bayern.
I hope his form improves though since the last two years do not warrant those wages.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I honestly hope we don't go for him either has a LB or CB. He was great last season but this season he's been utterly terrible for Bayern.

The only reason Bayern are still first is the amazing goalkeeping of Neuer and the fantastic finishing of Lewandowski, both have continued their unreal performances of last season, their defenders have not been great though.

If his wage and fee demands are to be believed, it would be a terrible choice for someone who will be 29 and past his peak. As a CB, I think he'll struggle with the physicality of the Prem, Bayern play a system that avoids engaging in defending of aerial crosses as they press early and high, relying more on pace and positioning of their defenders and the sweeping ability of Neuer, but with United we don't play the same way and need physical defenders to block crosses.

He would still be great as a LB, but it's not worth his wages and fee. Would much rather want to spend that money elsewhere (Upamecano at CB).

Pep's Suit

He's not as good as he thinks he is. If Real lose Ramos and have to start Alaba-Varane that could be really, really funny.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It really isn’t.
It is obviously a personal opinion, but i(!) think that it is quite tough to beat Madrid when it comes to European cities.

I loved there so I can only imagine how great it would be on a cool €10m net per year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s exactly the sort of signing we would have made previously - but solskjaer is smarter than that.

No more mercenaries looking for a big pay day.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I dunno... they have some good young players and in aubamyang and partey I'd say they have two players close to the very top level in their respective positions... a few signings that work out... perhaps a more highly regarded manager would help there then chuck in some high wages and London and its not as big a rebuild job as say Everton

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I was not very sure about the signing, especially due to the financial situation of the club, but it seems that they will not miss the opportunity.
If I have understood Bayern fans correctly, he is a good defender who dreams of playing as a midfielder, where he is not so good.
I am 100% sure that Ramos will renew, so I imagine that Zidane does not have any confidence in Militao.
I imagine he will enter fully into the rotation system. Replacing Mendy today, Casemiro tomorrow, or Varane / Ramos.

Happy with the signing. He was a very recurring name as a possible signing for years. I think I had forgotten a little about him.

About Madrid, the city, I think in general it is a bit underrated. There are many super stars who chose to live in the city after retiring. From Zidane himself, Roberto Carlos,Ronaldo, Futre, Figo or Mijatovic.
In any case, the players live in a bubble.

lex talionis

I dunno... they have some good young players and in aubamyang and partey I'd say they have two players close to the very top level in their respective positions... a few signings that work out... perhaps a more highly regarded manager would help there then chuck in some high wages and London and its not as big a rebuild job as say Everton
Very good point. I should apologize to Arsenal fans for my unduly snide comment. The club is going through a rough patch this season, although recent results are encouraging, and it’s still a top club that offers a great deal to top players. Its going through a rebuild, as we did, and better days are not that far off.

united for life

He's not as good as he thinks he is. If Real lose Ramos and have to start Alaba-Varane that could be really, really funny.
so you think an Alaba-Varane partnership is really really funny? A world cup winner and a starter for a team that dominated the bundesliga and won the champions league is funny?

what do you think about the Maguire-Lindelof partnership then?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
so you think an Alaba-Varane partnership is really really funny? A world cup winner and a starter for a team that dominated the bundesliga and won the champions league is funny?

what do you think about the Maguire-Lindelof partnership then?
Not great. We shouldn't be offering £400k a week to someone who'd be playing out of position though, which is basically what Alaba in CB is.

Status
Not open for further replies.