David Alaba....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
in 15/16. If you are a top top CB, like some people go on about him, you would expect him to play CB in 16/17 or 17/18 o 18/19 but he didn't.

Bayern are a very functional team, the way they played last season under Flick, the CB was more for pace, passing because they were so good on the press and winning the ball back. Hardly did Bayern play a game where they had to defend for large parts of games.

At United, that is different, being a CB in a Pep, Klopp, Flick team is different to a defensive minded manager's team.
I don't disagree. Both under Pep and Flick he has played a very different role as a central defender than he would be required to in other teams.

As for the first part, while you're not wrong, that is of course also connected with the fact that he's been an established top LB before he was used as CB, and with the specific squad situations. Yes, he wasn't used as CB, but he was used as left back, it's not like he sat on the bench.

romufc

I don't disagree. Both under Pep and Flick he has played a very different role as a central defender than he would be required to in other teams.

As for the first part, while you're not wrong, that is of course also connected with the fact that he's been an established top LB before he was used as CB, and with the specific squad situations. Yes, he wasn't used as CB, but he was used as left back, it's not like he sat on the bench.
I do not disagree on the part that he is a fantastic player. I think he was one of the best LB's around. What I am trying to get at is, when people say he is a prime CB is not entirely true. Although, he may be very good at the position under certain managers, he is not a traditional CB.

For example, for Liverpool, he would be worth the money he wants because they play a high line, he is fast, very good on the ball and his recovery tackles etc are good.

To play for United where we do not dominate games as much, we require a different sort of CB.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
100 million pounds over 4 years? how? that'd be 500k p/w
12m net is ~450k per week. Without obviously knowing any exact numbers or details, but these are the dimensions we are talking about.

Apologies, I'm also not talking about pounds.

Last edited:

Pep's Suit

Rumours say City would like Ramos but have no interest in Alaba, don't think any PL team will offer him what he wants.

Devil81

Is being greedy or is he simply looking for a new challenge.

I'd love him at United myself.

RUCK4444

We should be looking at this one. Don’t commit to stupid money but if we could get him he would be a very good and versatile addition to the squad.

He would be perfect for plugging gaps through injury across midfield and the back line (as well as being in with a shout of being in the starting 11 anyway.)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I’d be interested, honestly. More tempted by a LCB Alaba than I am by a lot of the ‘potential’ kids at CB. We’ve already had too many on the Lindelof/Bailly line — if someone slightly more established is out there and available - Alaba - we should strongly consider it.

He’s not really a point at LB for us with Shaw and Telles, but how is he in midfield? Is he an actual defensive midfielder or is he more of a generic box-to-box in the way Fred plays?

AkaAkuma

Sounds like a ploy to get more money out of Madrid?

Which PL teams need him?

Is he a LB or CB?

dinostar77

I
Rumours say City would like Ramos but have no interest in Alaba, don't think any PL team will offer him what he wants.
I dont get this. He'd be perfect for city. Need a LB. Guardiola likes FBs who can come into midfield and play ala Lahm. Alaba can do this. So i would have thought it was a no brainer. Whoever signs him needs to sign him for LB, hes too short and average a CB for PL.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Didn't Pep play him as a DM while at Bayern? He could fill a decent void for them now with Fernandinho getting older and Rodri not quite fitting well.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
It's difficult to see where he fits in to most top sides. I'm starting to get the sense that most of the potentially interested parties aren't utterly convinced by him as a full-time CB, and don't see him as a midfield upgrade either.

His best fit would be as a full-back in Pep's system at City IMO - but there's no way they're paying him anything close to what he's rumoured to be after.

I still find the Real Madrid links to be odd - I know Varane has hit a bad patch of form but I can't see Real moving on him from him given his proven quality, and they will surely be doing their absolute best to keep ahold of Ramos.

Pep's Suit

I

I dont get this. He'd be perfect for city. Need a LB. Guardiola likes FBs who can come into midfield and play ala Lahm. Alaba can do this. So i would have thought it was a no brainer. Whoever signs him needs to sign him for LB, hes too short and average a CB for PL.
Maybe he doesn't want to play LB anymore. City like Lodi and Tagliafico, maybe Gaya could be another option but they have to move Mendy first.
Didn't Pep play him as a DM while at Bayern? He could fill a decent void for them now with Fernandinho getting older and Rodri not quite fitting well.
I think Pep used him as a cb. Dinho will be replaced but likely with someone young (22-24 years old).

MetoTTT

His best position is LB, we don't need one at all. Not that good as CB and would like to play DM, massive wages, Madrid's dream...can't see the point.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His best position is LB, we don't need one at all. Not that good as CB and would like to play DM, massive wages, Madrid's dream...can't see the point.
Yeah, we do. Telles can barely be relied upon to give Shaw a break. Alaba would be a fine upgrade to slot in there and left center back.

Robertd0803

Stupid "Team Alaba" :lol:

The fact he is willing to give up his dream move in favour of a hefty paycheck at this point of his career should really ring alarm bells about his mindset. Its not like his dream club Madrid would pay him peanuts anyway in fairness.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's difficult to see where he fits in to most top sides. I'm starting to get the sense that most of the potentially interested parties aren't utterly convinced by him as a full-time CB, and don't see him as a midfield upgrade either.

His best fit would be as a full-back in Pep's system at City IMO - but there's no way they're paying him anything close to what he's rumoured to be after.

I still find the Real Madrid links to be odd - I know Varane has hit a bad patch of form but I can't see Real moving on him from him given his proven quality, and they will surely be doing their absolute best to keep ahold of Ramos.
With the way Tuchel is planning, he would be a good fit at Chelsea.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, we do. Telles can barely be relied upon to give Shaw a break. Alaba would be a fine upgrade to slot in there and left center back.
Telles is perfectly fine as a depth left back, his performances have been roughly on par with Shaw's the past few years, just Shaw took his game up multiple levels now. But Telles has been exactly what we bought him to be. Capable depth to rotate and push Shaw on to a level we didn't really think he could reach!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Nope, can't say that he did, maybe just for a handful of games due to injuries.

MetoTTT

Telles is there since september and you write him off already? Come on! Looks good LB and Shaw was brilliant. Overload at LB not needed. He isn't that good at LCB, don't know really if he can be a great DM. What annoys me more is the "Real dream" (if true). If he can be really class LCB and/or DM, I'm all for it (on a free), we could bring other players (well, Woody is the man!!!). :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Telles is perfectly fine as a depth left back, his performances have been roughly on par with Shaw's the past few years, just Shaw took his game up multiple levels now. But Telles has been exactly what we bought him to be. Capable depth to rotate and push Shaw on to a level we didn't really think he could reach!
Ole barely trusts him to finish a full game and when he needs to make a change mid game he almost always brings in Shaw. One of the reasons might again be how good Shaw has been but I doubt he’s the caliber of player to give Shaw a break which is sorely needed considering his history of muscle issues with exertion.

Alaba on the other hand is a perfectly good caliber player to add what Shaw does to the attack while still being very solid in defense.

Brightonian

You don’t pay him 20m a year to play him in a position he has never played at Bayern.
I'm just curious. I saw a lot of him in his early career as a LB but haven't seen much of him (or Bayern generally) since he moved to CB. He just always struck me as having the right skillset. Wasn't he one of Guardiola's fullbacks who came central and played as midfielders during certain phases of play?

He's an elite player, very experienced, who has won lots of trophies in a top side. It would surely be negligent not to at least ask the question, since the position is the one that most needs filling in our squad, and since although his wages would be significant he would come on a free.

MetoTTT

RMC (French radio) are saying he wants a 450k€/week and a 5 years contract to sign at Real Madrid. We have to add the signing bonus as he's "free".

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm just curious. I saw a lot of him in his early career as a LB but haven't seen much of him (or Bayern generally) since he moved to CB. He just always struck me as having the right skillset. Wasn't he one of Guardiola's fullbacks who came central and played as midfielders during certain phases of play?
Yes, and he does also play in midfield in the national team. His problem basically was that he had too many good/great midfielders in front of him at Bayern, so he never really got to play in midfield as he allegedly would have liked to do, and when he became one of the best LB in the world he was mostly stuck there until Davies emerged and Flick decided to play them both (while Alaba basically worked as an in-game coach for Davies to improve especially his defensive actions, as Davies is a more attack-minded player). So Alaba for sure has the skill and mind set to play in midfield and organise a team, but simply never really got the opportunity due to the players in the squad.

ReallyUSA

No. According to reports in Germany he was always asking for that much. And a cool 20m to 30m in fees for him and his agent.
I am just a propaganda machine trying to destabilize the love for Messi. I will see myself out.

dinostar77

Not signed just incase someone offers him and his agent more money. Total mercenary. Cant blame him though. Last big contract of his career.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yes, and he does also play in midfield in the national team. His problem basically was that he had too many good/great midfielders in front of him at Bayern, so he never really got to play in midfield as he allegedly would have liked to do, and when he became one of the best LB in the world he was mostly stuck there until Davies emerged and Flick decided to play them both (while Alaba basically worked as an in-game coach for Davies to improve especially his defensive actions, as Davies is a more attack-minded player). So Alaba for sure has the skill and mind set to play in midfield and organise a team, but simply never really got the opportunity due to the players in the squad.
Watched him quite a few times playing in midfield for Austria. He doesn’t offer anything more than McTominay or Fred. He is one of the best LBs and a very good CB, but not a worldclass midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.