David Alaba....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
For a future "told you so comment":

Losing Alaba will be a blessing in disguise for us. Flick won't drop him no matter how suspect he is defensively and Alaba leaving us is probably the only way to get an overhaul of our defense done.
Don't get me wrong, Alaba is overall still a good player but certainly not a worldclass CB and he won't become one either. For all his ability on the ball he is still no Boateng or Hummels in that area and his above average controbution as ball playing CB just doesn't compensate for his weaknesses even in our system. So good luck to any club who wants to buy him as CB and pay him an insane wage.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Didn't even watch it. If I was interested in carefully crafted PR statements, I'd read the press release...

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

For a future "told you so comment":

Losing Alaba will be a blessing in disguise for us. Flick won't drop him no matter how suspect he is defensively and Alaba leaving us is probably the only way to get an overhaul of our defense done.
Don't get me wrong, Alaba is overall still a good player but certainly not a worldclass CB and he won't become one either. For all his ability on the ball he is still no Boateng or Hummels in that area and his above average controbution as ball playing CB just doesn't compensate for his weaknesses even in our system. So good luck to any club who wants to buy him as CB and pay him an insane wage.
Probably you are right but for us he might have been a good fit as partner for Captain Harry. There are probably better and cheaper options out there, but I am not really watching a lot of football beside United so most names I only know from what I have read and Alaba has proven his worth, and I think he has not been too injury prone as well.

His wage demands seem a bit out of order, but I personally believe that it is not only about the money. He spent his whole career at Bayern. He could stay there for the next five years, probably winning another five league titles and one more CL trophy. However, if he really wants a new challenge now is the time to go.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Allegedly €20m signing bonus, €11m net(!) p.a. and 5 years contract. Look at Real spending the ESL money. Oh... wait.

Dve

Allegedly €20m signing bonus, €11m net(!) p.a. and 5 years contract. Look at Real spending the ESL money. Oh... wait.
Absolutely. Juventus complaining about not making enough money, and at the same time they are paying Ronaldo a million per week. They can just feck off.

Tallis

Makes sense for Real. Their squad is a little short on quality depth and they avoid paying a big sum upfront.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Absolutely. Juventus complaining about not making enough money, and at the same time they are paying Ronaldo a million per week. They can just feck off.
Perez just said this yesterday:

“Sergio Ramos? I love him very much, but we are in a very bad situation. Nobody has a lot of money. We need to be realistic about what’s happened to us.”

Pressed further on whether Ramos will renew, Perez added: "At the moment, we will come back to it at the end of the season."
Looks like they're shoving Ramos out and Alaba is his replacement.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Christ almighty, those are crazy numbers for a player like Alaba. At least in his current state he's absolutely not worth these wages. But i'd say it's very likely that he'll get some motivational boost once he changes clubs. He seemed to have no real drive in the past few seasons to keep on bringing absolute top performances and to keep developing. He stagnated for quite some time, imo and might have even declined in some aspects of the game.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Christ almighty, those are crazy numbers for a player like Alaba. At least in his current state he's absolutely not worth these wages. But i'd say it's very likely that he'll get some motivational boost once he changes clubs. He seemed to have no real drive in the past few seasons to keep on bringing absolute top performances and to keep developing. He stagnated for quite some time, imo and might have even declined in some aspects of the game.
Still it is IMHO waaaaay too much money for a not outstanding CB. Pushing an icon like Ramos out to basically pay his wages to Alaba is quite the message.
Mendy is a very good LB and Alaba is not good enough in midfield so i can only see Real playing Alaba as CB next to Varane.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Perhaps thats his motivation to move?
He will win his 10th BL title this year and he has 2 CL medals as well - there really isnt much more he can achieve with Bayern so if at 28 he wants to move on to a fresh challange then I see that as postive thing... winning a few la ligas and another CL with Real would probably enhance his reputation far more than adding some more BL titles or even another CL with Bayern
I personally think LB is still his best position but I gess in a back 3 or with the right partner in a 2 he is also a pretty good CB option for anybody as well

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I personally think LB is still his best position but I gess in a back 3 or with the right partner in a 2 he is also a pretty good CB option for anybody as well
I definitely agree that LB is his best position but he has lost it at Bayern (to Davies) and i rate Mendy higher than the current version of Alaba.
Real is not paying what has been mentioned for a squad/utility player and Alaba is not good enough in midfield so it must be CB. I am afraid that he has the same issues there that Varane has: he needs a strong leader next to him. A Varane/Alaba combination lacks that.

But i definitely do wish him well on his endeavor!

prateik

equivalent to a €40-45m transfer fee and €250k/week (pre tax) wages...

Can play a few positions.. If he is good, its not the worst deal..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Varane's departure becomes slightly more realistic. Good news, no?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I definitely agree that LB is his best position but he has lost it at Bayern (to Davies) and i rate Mendy higher than the current version of Alaba.
Real is not paying what has been mentioned for a squad/utility player and Alaba is not good enough in midfield so it must be CB. I am afraid that he has the same issues there that Varane has: he needs a strong leader next to him. A Varane/Alaba combination lacks that.

But i definitely do wish him well on his endeavor!
Im not convinced Varane is the right partner for him either - perhaps they will hit it off and be great together (perhaps real will even try a back three of Ramos, Alaba and Varane?) but my gut feel is it wont bring the best out of either

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Varane's departure becomes slightly more realistic. Good news, no?
Ramos is very likely off so i can’t see them selling Varane, too. Surely you don’t wanna play a Alaba + Nacho/Militao CB pairing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ramos is very likely off so i can’t see them selling Varane, too. Surely you don’t wanna play a Alaba + Nacho/Militao CB pairing.
Who has Ramos been linked to? I’d have assumed he’d sign a new deal.

DanClancy

If those figures are correct it will cost Real Madrid circa £110m over 5 years. Its not a good deal for them and will cause them issues when trying to renew contracts with some of their existing players.

TheReligion

Abusive
If those figures are correct it will cost Real Madrid circa £110m over 5 years. Its not a good deal for them and will cause them issues when trying to renew contracts with some of their existing players.
Already spending their ESL money perhaps...

Big mistake.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m pretty sure Real Madrid was aiming for Mbappe and also backup DM just in case if Casemiro needs rest or gets injured. Alaba would be perfect choice for that. Free transfer fees, just need to pay his salary per year and he can cover 3 positions (DM, CB, LB). May be neither Varane and Ramos are leaving.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
400k a week. I sure do feel for Perez.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Not sure if this is a smart move for any of the parties involved. Financially it probably makes sense for alaba, but otherwise?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What are Madrid doing? Have they hired Woodward? Only this would explain why they are handing out insane contracts.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Although he's certainly one of the best in his field, I'd say these numbers are a bit over the top. Obviously it's his biggest and his last big contract in his carreer, being 29 in june and all. But still...I'm not sure if he's really what Real need. He will step up his game at Madrid for sure though, considering he will have a massive motivational boost getting out of Munich and playing for the biggest club in the world.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not sure if this is a smart move for any of the parties involved. Financially it probably makes sense for alaba, but otherwise?
Great deal for Alaba. But 5 years on that money when they already have Mendy at Alaba‘s best position is a headscratcher. They seem to regard him as a CB where he is good but not great.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Great deal for Alaba. But 5 years on that money when they already have Mendy at Alaba‘s best position is a headscratcher. They seem to regard him as a CB where he is good but not great.
When they give him this deal for that position it makes even less sense that they don't extend the contract with Ramos... It is still puzzling what they actually expect from him.

izec

Not worth it. I dont see him as a top CB, they have Mendy as LB and midfield he almost never played for Bayern. He is versatile and is a good player, but that contract is huge. What Bayern offered him was his real worth.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
When they give him this deal for that position it makes even less sense that they don't extend the contract with Ramos... It is still puzzling what they actually expect from him.
Conte plays a 3-5-2 so maybe there will be a good spot at LCB.
I too must say that despite all the fanfare over many years of it being his actual position of choice, Alaba never really convinced me in midfield, definitively not at the level that he performs at LB and LCB.
In those, he clearly has produced many world class seasons, so let's not minimize what he represented for Bayern over the last decade.
Massive, massive loss. But these wages are simply a no-go for us, no complaints from me. Wish him all the best, as much as I hate Real.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If i am being creative i would maybe expect a back 3 with Mendy as left wingback and Alaba as the LCB? But I mean we don’t even know who will coach them.
There is just no way that Alaba would play over Mendy when the latter is fit.

OmarUnited4ever

400k a week, for 5 seasons !!!

he's gonna do a "Bale" in 2 years and enjoy golfing in Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.