David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Anyone watched it?

Described as his witness statement to the destruction of life before his eyes, and his vision of the future.

I thought it was the most haunting thing he's ever made, right from the intro. A must-watch.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Anyone watched it?

Described as his witness statement to the destruction of life before his eyes, and his vision of the future.

I thought it was the most haunting thing he's ever made, right from the intro. A must-watch.
He doesn't say anything that we don't know, but coming from him creates an impact because he is a respectable and recognizable man. He never saw the human impact during his first 30 years of journalism and is more a restrospective. Saying that I really enjoyed it also, great work and I am really happy that he still alive spreading such an important message

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is this the one released months back? If so it just felt like the brilliant footage he’s narrated in the past but with a far more depressing commentary from him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He doesn't say anything that we don't know, but coming from him creates an impact because he is a respectable and recognizable man. He never saw the human impact during his first 30 years of journalism and is more a restrospective. Saying that I really enjoyed it also, great work and I am really happy that he still alive spreading such an important message
Yeah the fact the most well known naturalist of our time misunderstood so much about our place within the natural world for the first 30 years of his career is kind of striking. Lined up against his footage of that time in the jungles with the mountain gorillas and with him now reflecting back on some of those scenes with his wisdom and layered understanding, I thought it was very powerful.

Is this the one released months back? If so it just felt like the brilliant footage he’s narrated in the past but with a far more depressing commentary from him.
Yeah the archive footage wasn't particularly impressive at all but I thought the new footage did add something new to the perspective. The Chernobyl framing of human folly and the overwhelming power of the natural world worked well, and the depth of pain he felt when describing that humans have destroyed it, in his lifetime, as he documented it, was very powerful. And seeing people's reactions to the Walruses falling of the cliff too.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
My partner was crying her eyes out watching this, and rightly so, harrowing watch that as it comes from Sir David makes you worry for the future. Unfortunately it’s all become too political and the innocent animals/people will all suffer.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
My partner was crying her eyes out watching this, and rightly so, harrowing watch that as it comes from Sir David makes you worry for the future. Unfortunately it’s all become too political and the innocent animals/people will all suffer.
That is completely understandable.
We are supposed to be an intelligent species. And yet we are trashing our only home at an unsustainable rate.
And the most rediculous think is that we are the first generation who knows exactly what the impact is. But we keep on and on. And why?
Simple. Greed.

That is completely understandable.
We are supposed to be an intelligent species. And yet we are trashing our only home at an unsustainable rate.
And the most rediculous think is that we are the first generation who knows exactly what the impact is. But we keep on and on. And why?
Simple. Greed.
It’s nowhere near as simple as just “greed” I’m afraid.
Rich countries cut down their forests long ago, or enriched themselves through taking the natural resources of other nations. Before they knew the full consequences.
Countries in Africa, Brazil, Borneo are just playing catch up and our stupid lines written on maps prevent us from doing anything about it. Our entire civilised World has been built to look after number one and the close surroundings. We could all pay Brazil 5 times what they make from cutting down the Amazon, or pay Borneo to keep it’s jungles, but who’d back a Tory, Labour, Democrat or Republican government to do that? Half the UK celebrated us just cutting our foreign aid budget ffs.

When things need to be done on a global basis, we simply can’t manage it. Lines on maps, drawn in many cases thousands of years ago, in some cases in the past decades will forever hinder us from doing what’s required on a global scale.

The Amazon should belong to the World, but these lines mean one country can do whatever the feck they like with it, and who can blame them? As I say, in many cases it’s just people trying to make a living.

GenZRed

Rich countries cut down their forests long ago, or enriched themselves through taking the natural resources of other nations. Before they knew the full consequences.
Countries in Africa, Brazil, Borneo are just playing catch up and our stupid lines written on maps prevent us from doing anything about it. Our entire civilised World has been built to look after number one and the close surroundings. We could all pay Brazil 5 times what they make from cutting down the Amazon, or pay Borneo to keep it’s jungles, but who’d back a Tory, Labour, Democrat or Republican government to do that? Half the UK celebrated us just cutting our foreign aid budget ffs.

When things need to be done on a global basis, we simply can’t manage it. Lines on map, drawn in many cases thousands of years ago, in some cases in the past decade will forever hinder us from doing what’s required on a global scale.

The Amazon should belong to the World, but these lines mean one country can do whatever the feck they like with it, and who can blame them? As I say, in many cases it’s just people trying to make a living.
I remember reading about the idea of a 'global commons' in Doughout Economics by Kate Raworth a great book that sets out how to fix and restructure our economy to become more sustainable and not so destructive. Bringing

Bringing back the idea of a commons (resources to be used or enjoyed by all) is one of the key ways to do that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

When things need to be done on a global basis, we simply can’t manage it. Lines on maps, drawn in many cases thousands of years ago, in some cases in the past decades will forever hinder us from doing what’s required on a global scale.

A very accurate description of greed. Greed meaning taking more than you need because you can.

A very accurate description of greed.
Is it greed that people want to farm and feed their families?
I was on a river safari on Borneo about 8 years back and the local who runs it asked me, “what do you expect the people here to do? How should they make money to care for their families? The jungles give them that opportunity, to plant palm and feed their families”.

It is greed that people look out for themselves and their families and have that has top priority? Is it greed that a lower class family in the UK would vote the best to keep his family sheltered and fed now, rather than for example “protect the Amazon”?

As I say, it’s not that simple and you thinking it is certainly won’t be the lines of thinking that solves it, it adds little to the debate. Families in Borneo for example aren’t “greedy”. It’s faaaaar more nuanced than that.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Is it greed that people want to farm and feed their families?
I was on a river safari on Borneo about 8 years back and the local who runs it asked me, “what do you expect the people here to do? How should they make money to care for their families? The jungles give them that opportunity, to plant palm and feed their families”.

It is greed that people look out for themselves and their families and have that has top priority? Is it greed that a lower class family in the UK would vote the best to keep his family sheltered and fed now, rather than for example “protect the Amazon”?

As I say, it’s not that simple and you thinking it is certainly won’t be the lines of thinking that solves it, it adds little to the debate. Families in Borneo for example aren’t “greedy”. It’s faaaaar more nuanced than that.
In retrospect, you are quite right. And I was wrong to over trivialise it.
But a high proportion of the damage and destruction humans are doing to our planet is driven by global financial greed.
But I accept your point.