David Beckham reportedly agrees 150M deal to become ambassador for Qatar World Cup

cyberman

Just a few months ago I was told he wasn’t that famous these days on here.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I hope all the players that go over and play in the Qatar World Cup, and any presenters, pundits covering it, get labelled as sell-outs, hypocrites etc.
There’s a big difference between journalists/presenters/tv crews doing their jobs and David Beckham being offered 150 million. Or famous players turned pundits making a stand on their viewpoints. One can lose their livelihoods and the other can live without the money and survive any negative PR

Cloud7

Crazy amount of money, but it would be even crazier for an individual to turn it down.

I know there should be a line where you say past that you aren't willing to sell your soul, but that really is a hell of a lot of money. It's very easy to sit and say you would turn down that amount based on your principles but if you were actually in the situation I bet a lot of people would think differently.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This thread....

When most of us would bend over last year in favor of being taken over by the house of saud...

talking about double standard...forget about 150M on our own bank account, most of us can't even say no to our "football club" being able to spend a few hundred more millions.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
This does seem like way too much money. Zidane "only" took 15M to support Qatar's WC. Is there a chance they're unofficially bankrolling his MLS project at the same time ?

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I really pity the people who find it impossible to understand that someone would turn down 150m. Especially someone who already has more money than you can ever spend in your life.

By the way, he’s becoming an ambassador for Qatar for the next 10 years, so it is not just this WC.

He should be stripped of his ambassadorship for UNICEF.

lsd

The Oracle
Very few people would turn down 150m

Perhaps if you are as rich and known as Beckham is you should be able too.

It's poor from him and he joins the hall of off shame of ex United players with this act

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I really pity the people who find it impossible to understand that someone would turn down 150m. Especially someone who already has more money than you can ever spend in your life.

By the way, he’s becoming an ambassador for Qatar for the next 10 years, so it is not just this WC.

He should be stripped of his ambassadorship for UNICEF.
Until someone is offered the money, all the "I would have turned down that money" is all bs. There is nothing to back it up. It's all empty words.

Yeah all the PSG, ManCity, Newcastle united players shouldn't get to wear UNICEF shirts too and all these players should be part of rainbow campaign.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Do you not realise that you're simply affirming the accusation with these comments :lol:
Aye, I’m not making a judgement on this situation, but those comments are literally the definition of money chasing :lol:

“For those calling him a money chaser it’s £150m!”

Ixion

It is not a footballer's job to sort out human rights atrocities. The Government's of the US, UK etc sell these places arms, make deals with them, allow them to continue to operate as they are. We vote for those feckers so pointing the finger at Beckham makes a lot of people a bit hypocritical.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
What’s going on with ex united players? Few hours till the match. I’m just going back and forth between the Beckham and Scholes thread. Scholes :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It is not a footballer's job to sort out human rights atrocities. The Government's of the US, UK etc sell these places arms, make deals with them, allow them to continue to operate as they are. We vote for those feckers so pointing the finger at Beckham makes a lot of people a bit hypocritical.
Speak for yourself.

And nobody is asking Beckham to "sort out human rights atrocities", some people are just a little sad that someone they admire is happy to be the face of sportswashing.

I personally don't give a shit about Beckham taking their money.

RooneyLegend

So absurd that people think 99% would do this just because its a lot of money. First of all, he doesnt need any more money, and secondly there are plenty of people who value integrity over cash.

Who cares its 150m? Why would you want that kind of money anyway?
To invest in his football team? Maybe he'll buy Sunderland. Who knows, who cares, it's alot of money, he has no business turning it down. On top of that he's very philanthropic, he'll probably use some of it to help people. What's him turning down that money going to change?

Needham

As a teenager, I hated Beckham. With 150 million I idolise him.

Jericho

Ever since the knighthood fiasco he's just seemed more like a dickhead. I'd rather see that money go to someone else but whatever.

I really wish the class of 92 would have just faded away gracefully.

Brophs

The One and Only
Until someone is offered the money, all the "I would have turned down that money" is all bs. There is nothing to back it up. It's all empty words.
Probably true, but simply saying “almost no one would turn down that sort of money” is equally fatuous, as the question isn’t accounting for the fact that Beckham is incredibly wealthy already. It’s not like this would really change his life. It just makes an inordinately wealthy guy even more so. With that in mind, his decision is going to be based upon different factors than you and I.

Vitro

Yeah all the PSG, ManCity, Newcastle united players shouldn't get to wear UNICEF shirts too and all these players should be part of rainbow campaign.
Exactly. Beckham was the only one who was offered the money, so anything else is an assumption.

We don’t know what anyone else would do in that situation, we can’t say that most would take it, or that most wouldn’t; they are all empty words/conjecture. Especially considering the wealth Beckham has already accumulated.

Beckham made a decision, criticise it or not for what it is.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I like how just Qatar, Turkey, and similar countries are still seen as terrorist, law breaking, etc., when just few weeks ago we've seen Pandora papers revealing most of shady companies and worst people in the world did their dirty stuff through UK. Hell, even City are allowed to do whatever they want and the Premierleague is watching it without any fuss, but when someone makes a deal with Qatar and mentioned countries then that person is horrible.

I like redcafe.

roonster09

Scout
Probably true, but simply saying “almost no one would turn down that sort of money” is equally fatuous, as the question isn’t accounting for the fact that Beckham is incredibly wealthy already. It’s not like this would really change his life. It just makes an inordinately wealthy guy even more so. With that in mind, his decision is going to be based upon different factors than you and I.
How do you know it's won't change his life? For all we know, he can use it to improve his football club which might be his ultimate goal. Or maybe he got lot more than 150 million, maybe some sort of investment from Qatar for his football club, who knows.

150 million is a big money for anyone unless you are some top 10-20 richest man in the world.

My point is, it's easy to take moral high ground when you have nothing to lose.

roonster09

Scout
I like how just Qatar, Turkey, and similar countries are still seen as terrorist, law breaking, etc., when just few weeks ago we've seen Pandora papers revealing most of shady companies and worst people in the world did their dirty stuff through UK. Hell, even City are allowed to do whatever they want and the Premierleague is watching it without any fuss, but when someone makes a deal with Qatar and mentioned countries then that person is horrible.

I like redcafe.
So many on caf worship their players, staff, same with PSG players but it's Beckham who should have said no to their offer.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Is he getting 150m just to be an ambassador? Or is it 150m for the entire marketing campaign, which involves hiring him as an ambassador.

Eplel

It's easy having a moral code when you only apply it to others.

Deery

Dreary
Is he getting 150m just to be an ambassador? Or is it 150m for the entire marketing campaign, which involves hiring him as an ambassador.
It’s £15 a year salary over 10 years to be ambassador for Qatar..

Mercurial

This does seem like way too much money. Zidane "only" took 15M to support Qatar's WC. Is there a chance they're unofficially bankrolling his MLS project at the same time ?
This will be the beginning of a great friendship

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I love how self righteous everyone becomes when it's anything to do with the Middle East. Sure, they have done and do some terrible things. But let's not forget a lot of us here live in countries that were responsible for starting recent wars that were based on complete lies and responsible for the complete poverty, displacement of millions and the death of thousands including their own. Would you be as opposed to ambassadors of a US or England world cup?
Exactly. We see the middle east countries down based on media portraits basically and much much anti-east propaganda. Im not defending their fecking corrupt leaders but how many times do we see positive news about middle east countries? Surely they have mostly good people. They just have tons of money, oil and shady laws but im sure in the bottom we are not as different as some of you think.

lloyd2wayne

If Becks was alive in 1936 he'd happily be an ambassador for the Olympics in Nazi Germany.

Money talks. He has great PR and his public image is unrivalled, but he's a ruthless guy behind all that. Should he turn it down? Yes. Would 99% of people? No.
Sitting on your couch telling someone not to accept 150million because you think it’s not right. Life is a weird one isn’t it?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The hypocrisy in this forum is unreal.

The CAF: Why can’t the Saudi Prince take over United? We’d be RICH AS FECK! (We don’t care about the numerous human rights criticisms) Anyone but the Glazers!! *Raises fist

Also the CAF: Feck David Beckham and his money chasing ego! How can he ignore all the Qatari human rights criticisms just for money! Not like he needs the money!

Redfrog

So absurd that people think 99% would do this just because its a lot of money. First of all, he doesnt need any more money, and secondly there are plenty of people who value integrity over cash.

Who cares its 150m? Why would you want that kind of money anyway?
You are one hundred % right. Unfortunately, people whose value integrity are not the one who rule the world. Otherwise, it will be a much better place.