David Beckham the player

Rossa

I seem to remember more MOTM performances from Becks for United from 1999-2003 than from Scholes.

Keane had the biggest most important one though.

Giggs was beginning to slow, and I don't remember hima clearly at his "fast peak" 1996-1999 so

Is there a list of MOTM winners?
Giggs slowed down after 20, according to himself. I think he even said he had to adjust his running as he simply suffered too many hamstring injuries. If you look at his very early games, you will see that he was much faster than say Ronaldo and the likes (which Ferguson more or less confirmed when talking to Bolt). He did struggle a little in the 99-season, and there was talks about him going to Juventus, but then he had that game against both Juventus and Arsenal in the same season, if I'm not mistaken, that turned every fan around.

Scholes was the silent player that just made everyone else that much better. Beckham was great, no doubt! What a team!!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Best crosser and corner/free-kick taker ever by a countrymile. All that while being a fecking work-horse and an accomplished finisher. Pretty damn good I guess!

Hughie77

He could put the ball on a sixpence! That was his asset, Cole York, Scholes with a late run, he'd find them more often than not.

His off field stuff spoilt it a bit at the end, SAF dropping for big games , played Ole out wide few times. G Neville and Becks could compliment each other, nev would over lap run full back went with him Becks put ball in box found someone on the end of it.

Happened really often that move. Football is easy with top players.

ryansgirl

Fyi @ryansgirl I met Becks a few times back in the day (Royales back bar), was an absolutely lovely bloke.
I don`t know if that fyi is a snippy little attempt to react against the fact I pointed out Becks is no different from some other celebrities/sports stars whose PR works over-time to convince us they are saints. I don`t think he is in anyway a bad person but if you want me to believe in Saint Beckham and his wonderful marriage then count me out of the naivety.

Based on many stories from fans around the world, yes he nearly always has been courteous to fans but if you want me to buy into his and Victoria`s Brand propaganda, no thanks, never have and never will.

And when media picks up on unflattering facts such as the foul mouthed tirade against the `c....ts` who didn`t get him Royal honours I`m not surprised. Nor am I surprised by the photos that were taken of him in the USA caught coming out of`massage` parlours that are not for sporting purposes or the non-disclosure contracts his partners sign and the number of cases where he dropped the threatened legal action as that would mean some real dirt would come out in court.

That`s his business in a fundamental sense but because he and Victoria have bombarded the media with a massive non-stop PR campaign ever since they started seriously dating then they would be incredibly stupid or arrogant to think they can expect everybody to buy into it.

And it`s not only the fairytale angle that continues today with staged photos everytime something that may be real talk gets out. Those staged photos with the new British editor of Vogue were embarrassing. Intended to kill rumours of a rocky marriage they had the opposite effect. Sometimes propaganda is simply not clever and Beckham has become caught up in those situations because it has been a way of life for him.

He and his wife used and use the media and the media uses them but it`s a risky game. Sir Alex referred to what happens 'when you get into bed with the papers' and yes this was about Beckham the footballer too as his decision to live his life that way came back to bite him a number of times.

Don't like the negative publicity swirling around? Quit making everything a PR move, dignified silences and absence from photo opps as well as putting on hold some of the scrambling to make money can work wonders.

Even apart from the overdone David-Victoria Brand, Beckham was unadmirable in some of his own footballing self-promotion. When he was England captain it quickly turned into being all about him. From the Four Four Two interview where he made a respectable football magazine and reporter ask him questions quickly while he signed his own promotional material and in doing so made it clear that was his priority to using the England shirt unauthorisedly to make money in yet more Beckham product promotions abroad - and a lot of things in between.

A fantastic player, a nice bloke but a saint and what his PR has endlessly promoted since the 1990s - no. And he even admitted in his book he was offered a new contract by United but stalled on it. Why?

Oh, nothing to do with the overtures he authorised his agent to make to Real Madrid. Somebody authorised those dealings. That`s why Sir Alex sold him - he was manipulating the situation. Beckham was clearly furious that his game was finished by Sir Alex. One of Sir Alex`s best power moves ever.

Last edited:

ryansgirl

It's in the news at the moment.

Google "Paul Scholes son"
Thanks for that. What a shame for Scholesy and his family. There might be far more of a back story to the incident but Aaron Scholes is old enough to know that you can`t get away with that behaviour publicly.

ryansgirl

He did and I think Fergie had enough authority to limit Beckham's self indulgence. He was never as bad in that manner at Utd as he was for England. Fergie moved him on before things could escalate to that point. The praise he got for that Greece game is a key point, yes he put an incredible shift in but one of the reasons England struggled so badly in that match is Beckham being constantly out of position, roaming all over the placer leaving massive gaps for Greece to exploit, not trusting his teammates, turned it into a chaotic game.

Kind of how how he started at Madrid as well, can't have Beckham dominating the style when you have Zidane, Guti, Figo, Raul and Ronaldo as team-mates. Ended up losing his place until he accepted a wide role again and showed more discipline in his play.
To be fair to Beckham at Madrid, some of the replay games I watched at that time showed some half-hearted playing by his team-mates. He was always about giving 100 percent and more. However, he did take time to adapt to the Spanish style. I remember some commentators there said he was too used to running around in the Premier League and the Spanish game was different.

Real Madrid also won the title in his last season there so that was a nice way to bow out.

Lam

Assist machine...I think he could have been converted into a good CM if he had not left (assumption basis how Giggs evolved and he was more of a natural winger than Becks). The fact Giggs played one extra decade (!!) after Becks left sealed his legendary status forever (deserving). But if we had a Giggs vs. Becks discussion in 99 or around that time, Giggs would not be run away winner. And, most importantly, he genuinely loved the club and gave 100% every single time.

Can't believe we could have played an all United midfield of Becks-Scholes-Butt-Giggs and still competed for the PL (throw in Nevilles + Brown at the back and that's 7 of the 11!). As I finish this, feeling terrible what we have ended up with now - absolute trash of a club (Liverpool back then).

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
seems to be more tactial though nowadays doesn't it? Its about keeping possession and inverted wingers. 4 4 2 and flying wingers seems to be a more simpler time
Because people became shit at crossing. They had to resort to goal scoring/inverted wingers. It was a tactical adjustment. Rather than a tactical advancement

If Beckham was a winger today. No team would live with him. Because next to no team still knows how to deal with pin point crossing. Which to me is still a weapon unlike any other.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Because people became shit at crossing. They had to resort to goal scoring/inverted wingers. It was a tactical adjustment. Rather than a tactical advancement

If Beckham was a winger today. No team would live with him. Because next to no team still knows how to deal with pin point crossing. Which to me is still a weapon unlike any other.
Nobody knew how to deal with it then and most were also shit at it then too. One of the best crosser's i've seen at United in the last 10 years is Dalot!

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

There is still great crossers it is just they are more likely to be playing at FB or in midfield. Teams have gone away from it a bit because it is not the most efficient way to attack.

SiRed

One of the most overlooked players when we talk about united greats. He lacked a bit in pace and dribbling but that didn’t matter one bit. His crosses and passes were of such quality that they took opponents out of the game in a flash.

Beckham and Van Nistelrooy were an unbelievable combo.

Beckham was great in front of goal too, some of his goals were screamers. Loved the guy and never stopped running!
Silvestre provided RVN with more assists

Rossa

I hadn't seen that vid before. Talk about distribution from the back. That's at least two direct assists from Schmeichel and a couple more that were 3rd or 4th for the goal. Then you had Giggs and his insane pace, and that cross from Beckham! The thing is, United committed 6 players in a counter attack. Lately, if we are countering, it tends to be with 2-3 players. What a team, and what players!

There is still great crossers it is just they are more likely to be playing at FB or in midfield.
Faur enough, but I strongly disagree. The vast majority of fullbacks and midfielders are rather average at crossing these days. That is why when a KDB crosses there are lot of ooohs and aahs from comemtators and pundits.

Teams have gone away from it a bit because it is not the most efficient way to attack.
Its only 'inefficient' due to poor crossers.
When you have competent crossers, as AS Monaco proved when the Mbappe's had a break out year. If you employ an early crossing game with loads of pin point delivery, few teams will be able to live with it.

Liverpool of this season too are another example. A reason they are so hard to live with is the accurate crossing of Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.

Now imagine facing a team with fullbacks like that and a pair of wingers who could pick out people like Giggs and Becks in their prime from wide areas. Or say inside out wide guys like CR7 2007 and Messi. Be it with low, high or cut back balls. In this day and age when crosses of the ball are hardly ever closed down, you'd slaughter people.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His technique is majestic. You often forget how good players were once they've gone and you're left with a bunch of talentless shit.

Beckham was underrated as a footballer. One of the greatest supply lines we'll ever see.

Nobody knew how to deal with it then and most were also shit at it then too. One of the best crosser's i've seen at United in the last 10 years is Dalot!
Beckham's crossing was godly. But in that era, loads of teams had at least one winger of fullback combo that were good at crossing. Nowadays a top end crosser sticks out like a sore thumb.
Most fullbacks always hit the first man and can't pick out a player in the box even in acres of space. Same with midfielders. They will execute a through pass real easy. But put them in a crossing situation, they will mostly botch it.

SiRed

Anyone else find the way he swings his left arm when crossing or taking a free kick intriguing?

As a kid, used to try to replicate the technique and it felt so un-natural. whether he manufactured this technique himself or it came naturally it looks like artwork when he swings a ball in.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Anyone else find the way he swings his left arm when crossing or taking a free kick intriguing?

As a kid, used to try to replicate the technique and it felt so un-natural. whether he manufactured this technique himself or it came naturally it looks like artwork when he swings a ball in.
The "bend it like Beckham" thing really is spot on.

This cross at 10:15 when the ball travelled 60 yards down the field, then started coming back almost horizontally to land on Ronaldos peg for a dead easy goal.

Insane.

If you watch that video though, you'll notice he was equally good at spinning the ball in the classic "bend it like Beckham" anti-clockwise spin, but also hitting the ball almost dead flat with a slight clockwise spin when he was being played more in the centre.

Anyway enough swooning

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
From a neutral point of view, he made up part of probably the best 4 man midfield this country has ever seen.

Beckham, Scholes, Keane and Giggs had the perfect balance of everything.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The "bend it like Beckham" thing really is spot on.

This cross at 10:15 when the ball travelled 60 yards down the field, then started coming back almost horizontally to land on Ronaldos peg for a dead easy goal.

Insane.

If you watch that video though, you'll notice he was equally good at spinning the ball in the classic "bend it like Beckham" anti-clockwise spin, but also hitting the ball almost dead flat with a slight clockwise spin when he was being played more in the centre.

Anyway enough swooning
That cross at 10:15 is incredible, wow.

predator

Youth NITK

I know exactly what you mean. I was more about power with shooting because I did have the hardest shot in my school/teams without sounding too big headed so I opted for hitting it with my laces. Beckham always used the inner part of his foot and was clinical.

I remember trying Beckham's technique but I never liked it. He stood almost parralel with the ball and swung his left and right arms around to probably counterbalance the sheer left sided momentum. When you hit the ball with such emphasis on the inside of your right or left foot you have to stabilise your body with your upper body purely for balance - from my experience anyway haha.

Swearing Budgie

One of the greatest players ever for United and England. Gave everything, every single game. I remember how for England he was the biggest attacking threat while simultaneously being the one busting his balls to get back and make a last ditch tackle. Like peak Rooney in that respect.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
One of the greatest players ever for United and England. Gave everything, every single game. I remember how for England he was the biggest attacking threat while simultaneously being the one busting his balls to get back and make a last ditch tackle. Like peak Rooney in that respect.
That's it. Rooney and Beckham are not naturally talented. Both worked very hard to get to where they are.

Rooney scored his wonder goal vs Arsenal for Everton aged 16 (was he really only 16?) then went down the park to play football with his mates. Beckham spent ages practising every aspect of his game. Both worked hard.

Beckham's conduct was better though, even with the celebritising.

AshleyYoung'sCruyffTurn

Absolutely world class, and such so despite his play style changing over the years at all that too. For sure his looks do undermine his footballing credibility to some.

youngrell

Beckham was fantastic and I wish we had a player of his quality and application in our team now.

I don't agree with those claiming him to be better than Giggs or Scholes, though. He may have had a better season or two than them, but does not have the same overall ability as the other two.

Beckham was absolutely the best crosser and free kick taker I have seen, but Giggs did both to a high level too, and on top of that he matched Becks work rate and had the added ability to run with the ball, head the ball (not great but better than Becks) and thread through balls along the floor.

Others using Beckham's goal vs Spurs and his corners in the CL final in order to place him ahead of our other midfielders must be forgetting Scholes FA Cup final and CL Quarter final goals, Keane's performance and CL semi final goal, Giggs' CL semi final and FA Cup semi final goals and his shot being turned in by Teddy (not Beckham's cross).

The team as whole was incredible. Incredible individuals across the team and an incredible collective. Beckham was just one of those incredible performers, maybe even the best the treble year but by no means ahead of any of them in ability.

KitDizzle

My all time favourite player showing that he still would be capable to play for us. What a man though those crosses he was flinging in were fantastic! What a guy!!!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Great player with incredible productivity would be pretty versatile in the modern game too.

Just lacked the pace and dribbling ability to be considered in the very top teir wingers.

Bobski

Do any of our Madrid fans remember a game he played against Zaragoza in his last season in Spain? Not long after he returned to the side, it was the greatest display of crossing I have ever seen in one match, think he must have created 15 openings in that one game alone, it was ridiculous. Like he had a remote control.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just seen all the clips of his passing in the game. He'd genuinely improve us. Incredible with a football.

Would've been great to see a freekick.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After watching him against Bayern, i really think that he would be our best rw in our current squad. This 44 years old David Beckham.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Giggs slowed down after 20, according to himself. I think he even said he had to adjust his running as he simply suffered too many hamstring injuries. If you look at his very early games, you will see that he was much faster than say Ronaldo and the likes (which Ferguson more or less confirmed when talking to Bolt). He did struggle a little in the 99-season, and there was talks about him going to Juventus, but then he had that game against both Juventus and Arsenal in the same season, if I'm not mistaken, that turned every fan around.

Scholes was the silent player that just made everyone else that much better. Beckham was great, no doubt! What a team!!
Giggs had to even change his car because the Ferrari clutch was too heavy.
Then started yoga to prolong his career.

madzo2007

My favourite player when I was a kid, spent hours in the street trying to copy his free kick technique

Always liked the goals he scored against Blackburn in 95 and against West Ham in 96/97 where he managed to chip the keeper from the edge of the box with the ball stuck at his feet

Last edited: