David Brooks

NJM78

I remember many similar sneering comments when we were heavily linked with Mane.

Brooks is a good player. Hope we pick him up.
Mane I would've took with open arms. Nothing I have seen of Brooks looks even close to him reaching Mane level, so a big no from me.

AneRu

Mane I would've took with open arms. Nothing I have seen of Brooks looks even close to him reaching Mane level, so a big no from me.
There is huge gap between a player like Mane and Dan James so what we have to consider is that would Brooks be better than Dan James, Lingard and Mata?

Because we already have a favored front 3 that's likely to grow so what we need are options that can give us more than we are getting from our squad players. Whilst I am not too keen on Brooks I'd take him for depth purposes.

cj_sparky

There is huge gap between a player like Mane and Dan James so what we have to consider is that would Brooks be better than Dan James, Lingard and Mata?

Because we already have a favored front 3 that's likely to grow so what we need are options that can give us more than we are getting from our squad players. Whilst I am not too keen on Brooks I'd take him for depth purposes.
Brooks will play right or centrally so NO...he isn't a better squad option than Mata or even Lingard...especially as Bournemouth will well and truly pull our pants down and ask for £40-50m for a £20m player.

AneRu

Brooks will play right or centrally so NO...he isn't a better squad option than Mata or even Lingard...especially as Bournemouth will well and truly pull our pants down and ask for £40-50m for a £20m player.
I think we have both seen enough of Lingard and Mata to know that both are useless in competitive matches, dont let the good form in Cup games fool you. Brooks is good playing on the right and this could help lighten the load on Greenwood.

If Bournemouth ask for an outrageous fee then we will walk away. Problem is we have left things so late that even if we were to bid for any player there isn't much time for that player to push for a move as their clubs know they only need to hold out for just two days.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I remember many similar sneering comments when we were heavily linked with Mane.

Brooks is a good player. Hope we pick him up.
Why is this Mane thing stated every time we’re linked with average footballers? For the record most probably didn’t have a clue about Mane when we were linked, I know I didn’t. I then watched him every time I could after it and it was clear he was destined to be top class if he could work on his consistency. Against the big clubs his movement and touch were outstanding.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why is this Mane thing stated every time we’re linked with average footballers? For the record most probably didn’t have a clue about Mane when we were linked, I know I didn’t. I then watched him every time I could after it and it was clear he was destined to be top class if he could work on his consistency. Against the big clubs his movement and touch were outstanding.
Because you see the same comments trotted out all the time when its not some big star. You correctly say in your post that most probably didn't even have a clue, yet slagged him off anyway. Same with Brooks.

Not saying Brooks > Mane, for what it's worth, but he's a really talented young player. Would be a really good addition.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Any reason he was an unused sub for Bournemouth tonight?

Judas

Open to offers
Just pulling up a chair in here, and making it crystal clear he should have been our first choice all along, and I'm just glad it's finally happening.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How has this 45-50m (rumoured) supposed target faired this season in the Championship? I see he's made 19 appearances, 2 goals and 5 assists and on the bench tonight.

I was on board when I thought he'd be a squad player for maybe 15m. Relieved we didn't buy him and Longstaff for a combined 100m :wenger:

Their supporters have various interesting things to say, that he's better as a #10, that his bottom level is too low for an inconsistent player and that his value is not close to the club's valuation (and the club is in troublesome debt).

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How has this 45-50m (rumoured) supposed target faired this season in the Championship? I see he's made 19 appearances, 2 goals and 5 assists and on the bench tonight.

I was on board when I thought he'd be a squad player for maybe 15m. Relieved we didn't buy him and Longstaff for a combined 100m :wenger:

Their supporters have various interesting things to say, that he's better as a #10, that his bottom level is too low for an inconsistent player and that his value is not close to the club's valuation (and the club is in troublesome debt).
You seem to have answered your own question ?

Prodigal7

Name is way too boring, I could never get excited about this.
Makes me think of that librarian from Shawshank redemption

I genuinely think that one of the most helpful ways to quickly evaluate a player is to see what their own fans think about him.

I posted during the summer from Bournemouth fans, saying that he's wildly overrated, not a right-sided player, has huge stamina issues, would snap a club's hand off for £20m etc

Turned out they were right.

Also did some digging at the time and found out that, at 23 years old, he'd completed 90 minutes of football just 11 times in his entire career. He literally can't last for full matches.

This season, as you say he's played in 20 but completed just 3 of them. 14 full games in his career. And people wanted us to spend £45m on him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I genuinely think that one of the most helpful ways to quickly evaluate a player is to see what their own fans think about him.

I posted during the summer from Bournemouth fans, saying that he's wildly overrated, not a right-sided player, has huge stamina issues, would snap a club's hand off for £20m etc

Also did some digging at the time and found out that, at 23 years old, he'd completed 90 minutes of football just 11 times in his entire career. He literally can't last for full matches.

This season, as you say he's played in 20 but completed just 3 of them. 14 full games in his career. And people wanted us to spend £45m on him.
Good post. Yes, the fitness issues were a huge concern even without such an overvaluation by them. I can't remember even one poster wanting to spunk 45m on him, but he has a lot of admirers. Similarly, Longstaff has been largely unimpressive since we've been linked with him and they'd be lucky to get 15m for him, if that.

While I'm on this tangent, also thoroughly relieved we didn't sign Josh King for 20m last January and a little worried that we might try to sign him on a free this summer, instead of just paying for quality.

Tallis

Given Ole’s emphasis on fitness, I somehow doubt we would have been very serious about buying him. Those numbers are worse than what I expected he would have contributed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

To be fair. He had one full year injury last season. Might need more time to recover. Zakaria is apparently going through the same path for months injuries.

Although, I agree. 45m-50m was always been overpriced for his quality, every clubs knew and that’s why none pay the money.

Sea-Cow

I think that can be helpful and should be considered, but it could also be extremely unhelpful. For example, looking at the Caf for some info about United players would be pointless. Some posters would say a player is awful and should be sold, while some would say they are world-class.