David Brooks

Redcy

Who is "we"?
United

35m for Brooks, a young player who has shown one spell of being a potential decent footballer, a year of injuries, and a couple of games. A player who doesn't push our first XI players for a starting position. Will people stop saying he can play RW? He is not a winger of any kind, he is an AM. This brings in a lad who's game time is going to be to come on as a sub for Fernandes or to play in early round cup games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
United

35m for Brooks, a young player who has shown one spell of being a potential decent footballer, a year of injuries, and a couple of games. A player who doesn't push our first XI players for a starting position. Will people stop saying he can play RW? He is not a winger of any kind, he is an AM. This brings in a lad who's game time is going to be to come on as a sub for Fernandes or to play in early round cup games.
There's currently nothing concrete to suggest we're going for him, let alone at that price

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Yeah because Thiago and Brooks are sure to be on the same wages.
That doesn't change the fact the Brooks who will play in championship is going to cost more than the probably the best midfielder in the world.

At 40m this deal is absolutely woeful and will bite us like James deal has. One year after signing James, we are still looking for squad players to play at wing position. Next year after spending 65m in two season, we will be doing the same.

Mark Pawelek

Bournemouth saying today he can go for £35m, if part of it is add ons, Brooks is worth a shot. He's a decent player who would add depth and has the potential to improve playing aside better players.
Player who is 'worth a shot' = £7m. Not £35m. He's been injured for a whole year. Should not pay more than £10m for a player coming back from injury without evidence he's fully recovered. Evidence = 10 top performances in half a season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bournemouth saying today he can go for £35m, if part of it is add ons, Brooks is worth a shot. He's a decent player who would add depth and has the potential to improve playing aside better players.
35m is crazy for Brooks. Not worth buying from the UK when they all jack up the prices like that. Ferran Torres just went for like 25m, and he is on a different planet to Brooks.

NoPace

1. Phil Jones goes to some Prem bottom half side for basically nothing but them paying his wages
2. CB from that team to Bournemouth to replace Ake for a year, and Bournemouth 25M from United
3. James-Ighalo-Brooks is our front 3 back up to Rashford-Martial-Greenwood

Like this:
United get David Brooks
Burnley get Phil Jones on loan for a year with cheap option to buy
Bournemouth get Ben Gibson and 20M from us

Bournemouth are just as likely to get promoted and they get some cash to buy Eze or Benrahma or some other winger.

Maybe also Phil Jones to Sheffield and they send Billy Sharp to pair with Solanke up top for Bournemouth, since Sharp is probably still a 1 in 2 Champo player for a good team but they need to upgrade their and Jones could have a Jonny Evans style 2nd act in their 3-5-2 since that often suits impetuous defenders better.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If I've read right we can sign players from the Championship until October 16th so rush on this one if we're interested. I doubt it would be anywhere near £40m by that point.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
35m is crazy for Brooks. Not worth buying from the UK when they all jack up the prices like that. Ferran Torres just went for like 25m, and he is on a different planet to Brooks.
This

And some wonder about the 'no value in the transfer market,' tag

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The United tax would have meant we'd have had to fork out nearer to £40M for Torres... can't say who I'd prefer as I admit to knowing little about either player.
Don't understand why there would be United tax and not City tax given the fact their owners are billionaires who have not been shy to throw money around.

We have shit negotiating tactics and probably less of an appeal to players like Torres (pep effect, style of play and currently an all round better team).

Red Royal

Don't understand why there would be United tax and not City tax given the fact their owners are billionaires who have not been shy to throw money around.

We have shit negotiating tactics and probably less of an appeal to players like Torres (pep effect, style of play and currently an all round better team).
United tax comes about because of years of historical transfer failures. Sanchez being the worst, but the likes of the Fellaini deal, Jones's new contract, Herarra fiasco, a crocked Falcao... the list is endless. I think all clubs globally see us coming and just hike their prices.

I think we have tried to address that, but Maguire and Wan Bisaka deals were overpriced (even though they have strengthened us). Glad we finally paid right amount for Bruno.

Standing firm on Sancho is probably the right thing. He would no doubt improve us... but if we pay £100M+ then imagine what we would be asked for the next big signing after Sancho!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This

And some wonder about the 'no value in the transfer market,' tag
20 year old, last year of contract and said he wouldn't sign an extension.

Get the facts right please

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I mean they did buy Jordan Ibe for 16M and Solanke for 19M, in a transfer world where those 2 clowns are worth that much Brooks is worth 40M.
But ultimately that's what's costing them. High wages, high transfer fee + poor return in admission fees etc.

They have to sell

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
20 year old, last year of contract and said he wouldn't sign an extension.

Get the facts right please
Ok. Torres is still on a different planet as a player and Bournemouth just got hit with a relegation during covid which is brutal on finances, and we're talking about a player who played 9 games this season and has 8 career goals in the premier league. 35m is insane for that.

CM10

But ultimately that's what's costing them. High wages, high transfer fee + poor return in admission fees etc.

They have to sell
They already sold Ramsdale and Ake, factor in parachute payments and rich owners and there's no reason they need to sell.

Don't Kill Bill

How much did they pay Sheff Utd for him and what has he done to justify the difference in value since?

It seems that our interest in a player is seen as some indication that the player has fulfilled his potential and is worth a top valuation. Even if the guy hadn't been out injured with all the risk that brings 40 million would be a steep price for a relegated teams young winger.

Put in a reasonable bid and see if they play ball to let the kid move on rather than keeping a potentially unhappy player.

Crustanoid

He’s the new Longstaff. Don’t we have 50000 scouts who can unearth a cheaper gem than this?

cj_sparky

I'd potentially take Brooks, not for £35-40m. Buendia is the same age and Norwich, who also got relegated supposedly want £20m for him. Add to the fact Brooks spent 10 months or so injured and needed two operations is a massive risk to take.

Let's get our super duper shiny all singing all dancing Scouting and Data Analysis department to load up the World Database and find some first team players from the big bad world outside the Premier League.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ok. Torres is still on a different planet as a player and Bournemouth just got hit with a relegation during covid which is brutal on finances, and we're talking about a player who played 9 games this season and has 8 career goals in the premier league. 35m is insane for that.
Well, I dont disagree that we are not looking at bargains. Just explaining the difference between Torres and Brooks situation.

I wouldn't pay more than 25m tbh

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is he? I'd say they're quite similar tbh, one's just a bit younger.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They already sold Ramsdale and Ake, factor in parachute payments and rich owners and there's no reason they need to sell.
Its been said they are willing to sell

GledTheRed

What have you based that on?

passing-wind

What have you based that on?
I wouldn't go as far as being on a different planet but many La Liga fans were saying during points in the season that Torres should be as highly rated as Sancho. Maybe that's some context for his perceived hype.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'd potentially take Brooks, not for £35-40m. Buendia is the same age and Norwich, who also got relegated supposedly want £20m for him. Add to the fact Brooks spent 10 months or so injured and needed two operations is a massive risk to take.

Let's get our super duper shiny all singing all dancing Scouting and Data Analysis department to load up the World Database and find some first team players from the big bad world outside the Premier League.
Buendia's stats for last season are really good. Its surprising that other Premier League clubs haven't already moved for him.

I'd take Brooks or Buendia, potentially both. If we're going to be looking for 'value in the market' this summer then we could do a lot, lot worse.

Redcy

I'd take Buendia, no severe injury means he has better chances of making it the course. We are not well known for our injury record.

Hawks2008

Pointless signing. Being better than Andreas Pereira shouldn't be the basis for targeting a player.

GledTheRed

I wouldn't go as far as being on a different planet but many La Liga fans were saying during points in the season that Torres should be as highly rated as Sancho. Maybe that's some context for his perceived hype.
Well looking at his output i'd say a fairer comparison would probably be David Brooks tbh.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The season before this one David Brooks scored 7 goals and made 5 assists in 30 matches. He suffered a horrible injury last season but he was still able to score against Shitty. I think at 30m is worth a punt especially if we are able to offload Mata and Jesse.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The season before this one David Brooks scored 7 goals and made 5 assists in 30 matches. He suffered a horrible injury last season but he was still able to score against Shitty. I think at 30m is worth a punt especially if we are able to offload Mata and Jesse.
:eek: , I almost don't recognise you endorsing a signing like this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Always wanted us to sign Brooks

devilish

:eek: , I almost don't recognise you endorsing a signing like this.
why?

a- He's at the right age to come at United
b- He can play as RW and as AMC
c- He's obviously talented. Not Sancho/Greenwood talented but he slots right into the cover/competition slot.
d- Greenwood and Brooks would make us less Sancho dependent. With German clubs struggling with the covid crisis that might be enough for Dortmund to be more reasonable in terms of Jadon's fee.
e- Brooks, Jadon and Greenwood could be fitted in the same team with Jadon playing on the RW, Greenwood acting as Martial cover/competition (thus sorting the STK problem) and Brooks acting as cover/competition on the RW. It would also sort any issues upfront (Jadon/Martial can play as LW, Brooks can play as no 10 etc)
f- We would recoup most of that fee by selling Mata and Periera. If we sell JLingz as well then we'll make a profit out of it
g- Brooks is young, he's talented, he's versatile and he's British. If he fails to make an impact then we'll still recoup most of the fee anyway

Assuming he gets the green light from our docs (who should be extra meticulous on this one) and that we don't go silly regarding fee/salary then this deal is a no brainer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
why?

a- He's at the right age to come at United
b- He can play as RW and as AMC
c- He's obviously talented. Not Sancho/Greenwood talented but he slots right into the cover/competition slot.
d- Greenwood and Brooks would make us less Sancho dependent. With German clubs struggling with the covid crisis that might be enough for Dortmund to be more reasonable in terms of Jadon's fee.
e- Brooks, Jadon and Greenwood could be fitted in the same team with Jadon playing on the RW, Greenwood acting as Martial cover/competition (thus sorting the STK problem) and Brooks acting as cover/competition on the RW. It would also sort any issues upfront (Jadon/Martial can play as LW, Brooks can play as no 10 etc)
f- We would recoup most of that fee by selling Mata and Periera. If we sell JLingz as well then we'll make a profit out of it
g- Brooks is young, he's talented, he's versatile and he's British. If he fails to make an impact then we'll still recoup most of the fee anyway

Assuming he gets the green light from our docs (who should be extra meticulous on this one) and that we don't go silly regarding fee/salary then this deal is a no brainer.
Oh you don't need to convince me, I'm well on board. I'm just used to seeing a "cardiffisation" jibe from you. It's a welcome change :D

devilish

Oh you don't need to convince me, I'm well on board. I'm just used to seeing a "cardiffisation" jibe from you. It's a welcome change :D
There are two types of transfers I absolutely hate

a- if we paid silly money for players. Unfortunately most British clubs aren't desperate to sell which means that most EPL signings tend to fall in that category
b- If we buy squad members ie players who have no chance in hell of being more then extra bodies on the bench. In my opinion we should always go for players with the potential to be more then cannon fodder.

Brooks doesn't fall in either category. He's what I like to call a SAF's type of signing ie a versatile young EPL proven player on a realistic fee.