David De(cade) Gea - How will he be remembered?

Shark

@NotShark
Considering there was a time across roughly 3-4 seasons or more where I'd not have anyone in world football between the sticks than Dave it's difficult not to rate him as a legend who let's not forgot has a PL title under his belt and was fantastic that season at such a young age.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
One of the best keeper I have ever seen. He was quite simply unbeatable when he was in his pomp and still way better option than most keeper that people mention to replace him

Shark

@NotShark
Not at all. I've seen a few folk rate him higher than Schmeichel and van der Sar which is laughable though.
Hardly laughable though? VDS in particular had both prime Vidic and Ferdinand in front of him, in a settled team. De Gea in his prime was a monster and for much of it was having to save our asses from shite defending at the hands of Jones, Smalling, Rojo among others.

"Leagues below" is harsh, but he's ended up below VDS and Schmeichel as third-best in the PL era.

2014 to 18 De Gea was a better goalkeeper than 2006 to 11 VDS but the slide since then has been too severe to ignore.

Acole9

Outstanding
Hardly laughable though? VDS in particular had both prime Vidic and Ferdinand in front of him, in a settled team. De Gea in his prime was a monster and for much of it was having to save our asses from shite defending at the hands of Jones, Smalling, Rojo among others.
van der Sar was a class above De Gea. I guess it just depends on how long supporters have been following United I guess. Some might've been too young to appreciate Schmeichel and van der Sar so De Gea is all they know.

Jund

When thinking about certain players you can't help yourself and always ask the "What if" question. DDG is one of those - "What if he had Rio and Vidic?" And that's what I hate about his time here, we never actually had a half-decent squad so we can see whether he could be the difference between a win and a loss.

I do believe that this guy is better than Neuer for example. The latter had the benefit of having capable players in front of him, whereas DDG was basically shot at from point blank most of the time. A shame that his best years were wasted with the likes of Jones in defence.

RedTiger

Half mast
Even though we've had great GKs in the distant past such as Stepney and Gregg, David will go down as top 3 ever with VDS and Pete.

Those of us who watched United this decade will always remember that Dave kept us relevant for the majority of it.

Idxomer

Try to rate our goalkeepers not looking at your nice memories from your younger days and trophies won.

You might come to a completely different conclusion then.
While I don't rate him above Schmeichel, it's interesting how bad Pete was in his 8th season which is coincidentally also when DDG started his decline.

United won the treble but Schmeichel made as many howlers as DDG in the last 3 seasons combined.

Shark

@NotShark
van der Sar was a class above De Gea. I guess it just depends on how long supporters have been following United I guess. Some might've been too young to appreciate Schmeichel and van der Sar so De Gea is all they know.
While that may be true, it doesn't remove the fact that both of those keepers were playing in settled teams, where as the only time De Gea played in a properly settled team and defense he'd won a PL title with SAF. Not denying that both Schmeichel and VDR are perhaps superior keepers, but the comparison is hardly laughable.

el3mel

Great player for us. I just can't classify him as a legend though. Fair play for those who can.

FattyFooty

Amazing for around 5 years. Allways had trouble in some important areas in the game, but he was so good with he's reactions that it kinda made up for it.

He will possible be the keeper with the best goalie mistakes vid on YouTube.

He will also be the star of a best save tribute on YouTube.

Reactions: 711

Red Star One

He should be regarded as a club legend, who was unfortunate to be our best player in our worst seasons.

5x PFA Team of the year
4x United Player of the Year
1x Fifpro World 11

It's a shame his level has dropped, but he was our most consistent world class performer for a long long time. The player he was, will be extremely difficult to replace.
Spot on and he's a legend for me. In terms of peak ability he's no worse than VDS. Huge player for us, a loyal lad that didn't leave us when we were at our lowest and he was arguably the best keeper in the world for few years and a player that saved us embarrassment and much lower league positions for at least 4-5 seasons. Extremely proud to have him here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I do believe that this guy is better than Neuer for example.
You won't find anyone besides United fans sharing that opinion.

And even among United fans, it'll be controversial enough (given what we've seen for a couple of seasons now).

Acole9

Outstanding

And even among United fans, it'll be controversial enough (given what we've seen for a couple of seasons now).
I remember some posters getting a right strop on if someone suggested another goalkeeper was better than De Gea.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I remember some posters getting a right strop on if someone suggested another goalkeeper was better than De Gea.
Yeah - but when he was the best shot stopper in the world (and kept winning points for us by pulling impossible saves), that was...sort of justified.

It wasn't really justified - because over time you want an allrounder over a shot stopper every day of the week, simply because there isn't a single example of an extreme shot stopper (with very little else going for him) who enjoyed a long career at the very top of the game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Very shaky for a season or two early on, then turned to brilliant, and even rivals accepted he was one of the top couple in the world.
Then he went to that world cup, had an absolute stinker, and the errors became more and more frequent since then.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I obviously already think he's a legend. He's the kind of keeper that would be quality as keeper in any sport, because his shot stopping is immense.

He may be lacking in particular skills that are important in football, like claiming crosses or initiating counterattacks, but legends don't have to be perfect, they have to be important at important times, and de Gea has been that on numerous occasions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

At his peak I think it was fairly well accepted by all fans he was right at the top of the goalkeeping tree.

Unfortunately footy forums and fans are generally of the thinking someone is brilliant or terrible, so they've now decided it's the latter.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As for the OP's question...well, if he never goes on to play another game for United I personally will remember him as one of the best shot stoppers ever.

Which isn't bad at all. If he had been lucky enough to play for United under different circumstances, he could have easily won much more than he did.

But I certainly won't rank him above Pete or VDS as a player, on the whole - no chance.

Varun

Staff
Non Utd fans will forget him pretty soon after he's done. He'll have amazing highlight reels but not much else unfortunately because he was never a great all round GK + we won feck all during his tenure. His pretty shit international career will add to that.

For Utd fans, I think he'll be remembered as one of our best ever GKs but below the likes of Schmikes and VDS. Sort of a 'what would he have won if he had better players during his tenure with his' but that's about it.

Jibbs

Great player till 17/18. He has been consistently bad for past 3 years. Both sides will do great moving on. He badly needs a change of scenery.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Unfortunately footy forums and fans are generally of the thinking someone is brilliant or terrible, so they've now decided it's the latter.
That's true, of course - for any player, in any position.

But in DDG's case they might have a point - of sorts - in the sense that he has utterly failed to develop his game beyond being (again) a fantastic shot stopper (in what now looks like his prime).

He's relatively crap in the area, relatively crap as a sweeper, relatively crap as a defence leader...and so forth. These things are hard to ignore.

Threesus

The one truly world class player in the squad in the past decade. A player who was surrounded with clowns who didn’t even have a speck of ability that he had. The only player for whom SAF missed a game to scout him personally.

Dean Henderson has some pretty big boots to fill.

Roane

When thinking about certain players you can't help yourself and always ask the "What if" question. DDG is one of those - "What if he had Rio and Vidic?" And that's what I hate about his time here, we never actually had a half-decent squad so we can see whether he could be the difference between a win and a loss.

I do believe that this guy is better than Neuer for example. The latter had the benefit of having capable players in front of him, whereas DDG was basically shot at from point blank most of the time. A shame that his best years were wasted with the likes of Jones in defence.
Think it cuts both ways for me. I think a prime shmikes and VDS would have our current defenders better organized. DDG just isn't vocal enough or show the leadership those two had.

I think leadership is key. Not just because I feel DDG lacks in that but also a prime Rio and Vidic, heck even Keane who was further upfield would have been in DDGs ear and made him a better keeper in terms of where I and others feel he has weaknesses. So his coming off the line and general control of his area

Jibbs

As with Rooney, awarding De gea a new contract was one of the worst decisions of United management post Sir Alex.

bsCallout

Same as Rooney, a great player but stayed well past his sell by date.
No chance. Rooney was an all round great player, who won everything and had an incredible mentality. DDG was great in one area and didn't have the mentality.

Rooney also goes down as our top goalscorer.

Rooney should have left with SAF that's all.

el3mel

As with Rooney, awarding De gea a new contract was one of the worst decisions of United management post Sir Alex.
To be fair Rooney was our best player in Moyes season imo, and also was great in LVG's first season. He declined from his earlier form yes but these two seasons he was still performing well. He took a nose dive in form starting from 2015/2016.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Non Utd fans will forget him pretty soon after he's done.
Yeah, I think so too.

And why would they remember him? He was our No1 throughout a very underwhelming period for United.

In future discussions about - specifically - great shot stoppers, his name should certainly be mentioned often enough (if not, posterity will be treating him unfairly). But at the end of the day, that's just one aspect. And without much to boost his status in terms of big prizes won...well, he obviously won't be remembered as either a great allrounder OR as a limited (but extremely proficient in the one area he did master) GK who played for a great vintage.

evil_geko

Nope, I am an old cnut who follows United from early 90s and agree with Shark, they are not that much far off as some want it to be. It's certainly not "laughable" comparison unless you have bias for older generations.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Spot on and he's a legend for me. In terms of peak ability he's no worse than VDS. Huge player for us, a loyal lad that didn't leave us when we were at our lowest and he was arguably the best keeper in the world for few years and a player that saved us embarrassment and much lower league positions for at least 4-5 seasons. Extremely proud to have him here.
At his peak I would say he was better than VDS.

The thing with VDS is he had his nightmare spell before he came to United, so his six years here were all solid. Whereas De Gea had both excellent and poor years here over his longer stint, which changes how he'd be judged as a United goalkeeper. If De Gea had only been here for his quality years or VDS had had the nightmare season he had at Juve in a United shirt then we'd weigh them differently as goalkeepers.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Rooney comparison doesn't work.

If Rooney had been a pure finisher who ended up as our all-time top scorer after overstaying his welcome for a few seasons...then, yes.

But that isn't the case. Rooney wasn't a pure finisher. He had many strings to play on in his prime - in fact, his goal scoring isn't what defines him as a player at all.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If De Gea had only been here for his quality years or VDS had had the nightmare season he had at Juve in a United shirt then we'd weigh them differently as goalkeepers.
Obviously.

But DDG has objectively failed to add much to his overall game over the years. That would be the main argument against him - and will be the main argument against him in future debates too (unless he proves everyone wrong by a) staying and b) turning into a well rounded GK).

pacifictheme

I've been thinking about that recently and I will feel sad when he leaves, even though he's declined by his own high standards in the last couple of years. Probably since the world cup really. It's funny how someone who fecked the club off when he was at his peak like ronaldo is more fondly remembered than those who gave us their best years, especially de gea, who played in some utterly woeful United teams.

See people inevitably comparing him to Schmeichel and vds. For me there is very little between them. I watched a video of all Uniteds games in europe in 1999 and feck me did Schmeichel drop some utter clangers. Funny how that sort of thing gets forgotten.

If I had to say who was best, I would go vds > Schmeichel > de gea, but it's very fine margins and of course personal opinion. Vds happened to have the best central defence we have had in the last 30 years in front of him which probably helped.

Luke1995

Who knows. He may still be our player and number 1 choice next season. The story is still going.

But basically, I rank prime De Gea on the same level as prime Casillas and 2018-2021 De Gea has been very up and down.

I think he is a club legend. But it's frustrating because he could have been an even bigger legend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've been thinking about that recently and I will feel sad when he leaves, even though he's declined by his own high standards in the last couple of years. Probably since the world cup really. It's funny how someone who fecked the club off when he was at his peak like ronaldo is more fondly remembered than those who gave us their best years, especially de gea, who played in some utterly woeful United teams.

See people inevitably comparing him to Schmeichel and vds. For me there is very little between them. I watched a video of all Uniteds games in europe in 1999 and feck me did Schmeichel drop some utter clangers. Funny how that sort of thing gets forgotten.

If I had to say who was best, I would go vds > Schmeichel > de gea, but it's very fine margins and of course personal opinion. Vds happened to have the best central defence we have had in the last 30 years in front of him which probably helped.
If the stats that were quoted recently were correct, Schmeichel also had a pretty shocking record from penalties as well.

Meanwhile VDS (excellent though he was) was at fault for goals in nearly every CL final he played in, including all three during his time here.

I think both probably have to be ranked ahead of De Gea as United goalkeepers but they certainly weren't perfect either. It's just easier to look past their faults when they were only here for prime years and were part of extremely successful sides. Whereas De Gea has been here long enough and at an age for both awkward young years and severe dip in later form, while in a team that not only wasn't good enough to win leagues but actively depended on him to prevent them sinking further into the mire. Make mistakes in lesser teams and you're less likely to be bailed out.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Vds happened to have the best central defence we have had in the last 30 years in front of him which probably helped.
Yes, but VDS was a crucial part of that defence in a manner that just seems utterly beyond DDG's capability/skill set.

Any player will - generally - benefit from having better teammates.

Fred would've benefited from being paired with prime Keano - it doesn't really say anything about Fred.

(Yeah, I know - it's not the best example, but the point should be clear enough).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If the stats that were quoted recently were correct, Schmeichel also had a pretty shocking record from penalties as well.
Yes, well below average.

For a keeper of his reputation, pretty much shocking - yes.

But - I would say - that's an example of an aspect which doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Nobody would bang on about DDG's shabby pen record (which is only shabby in recent years - not if you're looking at his whole career) if he had been a well rounded keeper on the highest level.

The reason people bang on about it, is that it stands out like a feckin' eyesore for a keeper whose only standout trait is his shot stopping ability.

Acole9

Outstanding
Nope, I am an old cnut who follows United from early 90s and agree with Shark, they are not that much far off as some want it to be. It's certainly not "laughable" comparison unless you have bias for older generations.
Nope no bias. I just think Schmeichel and van der Sar were much better. You may not find it laughable and that's fair enough but I do.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Come on, it’s irrelevant who is in front of you for many things like communication, passing the ball, claiming a cross, bossing your area, telling your defenders where to move too. In fact you could argue that Ferdinand and Vidic had their task made easier by VDS.

that’s why for me, he is below Schmeichel (simply the best) and VDS