David De(cade) Gea - How will he be remembered?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And that’s not a bad reflection on him, they were just goalkeepers who knew their trade inside out.
DDG relies on his reflexes too much which age will take from you. He should have learned the other things I spoke about

Shark

@NotShark
Come on, it’s irrelevant who is in front of you for many things like communication, passing the ball, claiming a cross, bossing your area, telling your defenders where to move too. In fact you could argue that Ferdinand and Vidic had their task made easier by VDS.

that’s why for me, he is below Schmeichel (simply the best) and VDS
I wouldn't say it's irrelevant but I was more disagreeing with the point that it's laughable to even compare DDG to those two.

crossy1686

career ending
De Gea has maybe been United's 3rd best goal keeper in modern times, but the bar is pretty low after the Great Dane and VDS. Better than Barthez, worse than VDS, he's comfortably in that zone.

SAFMUTD

You either die (leave) a hero, or you live (stay) long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I think that's what happened to him, up until 2018 there where threads in this forum about if he was our greatest keeper. Everyone debated if it's was Schmeichel, VDS or De Gea. Unfortunately his after 2018 his performances have been so poor that no one is having that conversation anymore.

SAFMUTD

I do believe that this guy is better than Neuer for example.
I don't think you'll find many people agreeing with that opinion, not even in a ManUtd forum.

Maybe De Gea was better than Neuer for a couple of seasons while at his prime but overall Neuer has been the better keeper.

Tibs

Spent his prime years in our shitty teams - without him we'd probably be in the Championship by now

Shame for him that he won't end his career with more trophies...but a top keeper and a good guy

hobbers

(longer term) probably as a guy who's worst was better than Dean Henderson's best.

Shimo

A club legend for me. Been an ultimate professional and red tinted glasses and all, I think he was best in the world for at least 2-3 years.

De Gea and Jones are the only players in our current squad who played in Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson.
Technically Pogba too.

telstar96

DDG, world-class talent but not a world-class player. Had periods where he just looked unbeatable in a somewhat woeful team. Unreal away against Real Madrid and Sevilla. However, we never got a chance to see him consistently at the highest level in Europe. He really missed his chance to cement his legacy when a dodgy fax machine prevented his move to Real.

The only time we saw him in high profile matches were for Spain and he didn't really fill the shoes of Casillas. World Cup 2018 completely destroyed his confidence and he's been declining ever since. So overall in my opinion he never fully fulfilled his potential to be the best keeper of a generation.

I still will have fond memories of DDG regardless. I think many United fans will appreciate his journey from a troubled start in 2012, to his peak years 2014-2018. Definitely was the only bright spot during a difficult period for the club, so he can still be regarded as a club legend, even if he's still behind the likes of Schmeichel and Van de Sar.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Imagine if he hadn't been here during Moyes and LVG. The guy saved us from being an even bigger laughing stock and was the only player deserving of being described as top class. He's a legend in my eyes, but rapidly declining and not good enough today. Not least with playing out from the back and needing to be proactive in starting attacks. But Henderson isn't the answer. Not even close.

snk123

If he had the squad VDS had - he would have won us another CL. I’ve never seen a keeper so pivotal for a team after Peter.

Sadly the forum and fans have short memories.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think and hope it will be fondly. We've had plenty of players who weren't at their best at the end - loads actually.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
He should be considered a legend.

The only reason he wont be is because it sounds weird to have 3 goalkeeper legends in less than 20 years His lack of big trophies will also work against him. Both of these are weak arguments, imo.
Guy won an FA Cup, Premier League and Europa League hardly lack of big trophies. Quantities of trophies compared to VDS and Peter but look at the teams/defences they had in front of him plus Sir Alex in his prime. Without David in those first few years on post Sir Alex history would have repeated itself in us battling relegation or even so maybe being relegated. The amount of 1-0s where David single handily saved us from defeat won't be forgotten by me. Many supporters blame him from some of the crazy defeats in the last season at Old Trafford but soon as Maguire is removed realise without a Spine in the Team a proper spine we won't be battling for anything any time soon.

PeteReDevil

iPete
I think I never got past my perception of him from his first season and how timid he was. No matter how well he played I never felt at ease

De Gea is one of the few positive things associated with United since Fergie left. We has been immense. Yes he's had a few bits of poor form but so does every keeper. Will be sad if he goes.

DULLAGHAN

He was fantastic for a few years, however I'm not sure he's ever had the mentality of a top keeper at a top club. His mistakes always come when the pressure is on, chasing top 4, for Spain in big tournaments.

He was at his best when the club was at its worst and we'll always owe him for that, however I'll mostly remember his lack of presence and poor command of his area.

He's still one of the most gifted shot stoppers I've ever seen, but overall there's something missing

Without David in those first few years on post Sir Alex history would have repeated itself in us battling relegation or even so maybe being relegated. The amount of 1-0s where David single handily saved us from defeat won't be forgotten by me
He was incredible, but let's not go overboard. Absolutely no chance De Gea was the difference between those United teams finishing 5th-7th and being relegated.

As far as 1-0 wins go, there were 2 in the Moyes season, 2 in the first Van Gaal season, 2 in the first Mourinho season and 5 in the second.

A comparatively massive 8 in Van Gaal's second season, so you could theoretically argue De Gea was the sole reason we didn't lose all 8 and we'd have been in relegation trouble without him. But that's a fairly mad argument considering a lot of those games were essentially him doing nothing for 90 minutes while United passed sideways on the halfway line.

He was fantastic for a few years, however I'm not sure he's ever had the mentality of a top keeper at a top club. His mistakes always come when the pressure is on
Not sure about this either given he was very good in the title run-ins in both his first two seasons . And he was literally the difference between the 2017/18 team comfortably finishing second and scrapping it out for the CL yet again - what was his expected goals differential that season, something mad like 10-12 wasn't it?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Unfortunately we wasted his prime with horrendous squads, which is a shame, certainly appreciate the first 7/8 years.

As an overall keeper I’d say a level below VDS/Schmeichel, in terms of shot stopping, right up there.
To be fair, if he had learned the basics of the game he should be getting into his prime right now. Unfortunately he spent most of his career relying on his agility and never mastered the basics of the position...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
from 2013-18, the only consistent thing that could make it worth getting up at 7am on saturdays to watch another dreary draw was to see him do his magic again. and he delivered a dozen times over, across so many seasons and coaches. love him for that alone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
this thread says it all, massive recency bias. it’s sad to see.

he was absolutely immense for years, at some points i didn’t even fear the opponent having a shot as i knew he’d save it every time, was a crazy feeling.

Irwin99

He's a club legend in my eyes, although his form over the past 3 years has dipped a lot.

CoopersDream

To be fair, if he had learned the basics of the game he should be getting into his prime right now. Unfortunately he spent most of his career relying on his agility and never mastered the basics of the position...
This is a poor take tbh. If we say De Gea has declined because of his previously incredible reflexes now aren't all that, then learning "the basics of the game" would nowhere near make up for that decline. De Gea was once at the very least one of the three best keepers in the world with his most outstanding attribute being his shot stopping (which quite frankly probably is unmatched as far I am concerned). If his shot stopping has declined to someone just above average in that regard, then no amount of "mastering the basics of the position" would have made him anywhere near as good a keeper as he was 4 years ago.

Besides, a lot of De Gea's woes is clearly mental, he has made howlers repeatidly during periods that has nothing to do with declining reflexes or not mastering the position - the type of errors no professional goalkeeper should be doing. It's quite telling that when they started to come, he started making such errors in every other game for a while.

kidbob

The best goalkeeper in the World for at least 2 seasons and our best player post Fergie so far. The question should be how will De Gea remember his time here? Because we utterly failed him and the guy deserved to win countless trophies based off his talent.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This is a poor take tbh. If we say De Gea has declined because of his previously incredible reflexes now aren't all that, then learning "the basics of the game" would nowhere near make up for that decline. De Gea was once at the very least one of the three best keepers in the world with his most outstanding attribute being his shot stopping (which quite frankly probably is unmatched as far I am concerned). If his shot stopping has declined to someone just above average in that regard, then no amount of "mastering the basics of the position" would have made him anywhere near as good a keeper as he was 4 years ago.

Besides, a lot of De Gea's woes is clearly mental, he has made howlers repeatidly during periods that has nothing to do with declining reflexes or not mastering the position - the type of errors no professional goalkeeper should be doing. It's quite telling that when they started to come, he started making such errors in every other game for a while.
VDS was nowhere near as agile as De Gea. Not even close. But he was brilliant at the basics and always in the right position. De Gea is extremely poor positionally but has been able to make up for it with his athleticism. Had he worked on the basics as hard as he should have, he'd be the best keeper in the world right now. And I don't judge keepers based on "mistakes". A United keeper should be more than "he hasn't f*cked up much this year". But I know the position extremely well and see things that most don't. I've explained it several times on here and posted videos of goals that "weren't his fault" to regular people. But knowing the position as well as I do, i could tell you that he is often well out of position and has had goals scored on him that he would have saved if he had proper positioning. I'd post videos but you probably wouldn't get it...

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Probably a bit of imagination required but

If his peak was with the 2008 squad, he would be remembered as our greatest gk ever, or joined first with great pete

Unreal talent in the goal, his peak is the only think which saved us from finishing in the bottom half of the table a couple of dreadful seasons. He surely deserved better silverware for what is worth. I still have hopes that he enters a second peak and stays but very unlikely

Aren86

For a few years the best keeper we’ve ever had. Kept us remotely competively.

Post that sadly another liability. On form though untouchable & wouldn’t replace with VDS or Schemichael personally.

Looking back I’d say VDS was more stable/consistent, but Schemicheal was often more spectacular yet still prone to the odd errors, but genuinely at 1 point DDG gave me the confidence like no other keeper ever has and seemed impregnable - although maybe that was down somewhat to the team being poor too, and recognising his traits and appreciating them even more.

Legend nonetheless.

alexthelion

Is our current longest serving squad player, and will have been with us for a decade at the end of this month.

How does he rank amongst the pantheon of United great keepers?

For me he falls just short of being considered a great keeper. He was very good in his prime though, shortly after Sir Alex left, and single handedly saved us many dropped points. I would consider him above Fabian Barthez but leagues below VDS and Schmeichel.
Not just short, imo, he's a very good keeper with a occasional great performance but, agreed, he's a long way behind VdS and Schmeichel.

alexthelion

Maybe Ive been spoiled growing up watching big Pete and VDS but even when he was undeniably the best shot stopper around, his passiveness drove me loopy. Never been a fan of his style.
This is his major weakness, along with his inability to organise a defence (same problem?) and I really hate to see these attributes in a goalie.

But knowing the position as well as I do, i could tell you that he is often well out of position and has had goals scored on him that he would have saved if he had proper positioning. I'd post videos but you probably wouldn't get it...
Please do. I'm genuinely curious, especially to see which ones are from De Gea's peak era.

Van Der Sar was definitely exceptional on the positioning front, he rarely ever made the sort of highlight-reel saves you'd see from De Gea or Casillas but always seemed to be in the right place.

CoopersDream

Way to be condescending while missing the point

Had he worked on the basics as hard as he should have, he'd be the best keeper in the world right now.
No, he wouldn't. That's the entire point. These basic things of goalkeeping you keep coming back to, if they're so easy to learn by working hard then any goalkeeper could do that. He'd still need to be the best in the world at shot stopping in order to actually be the best in the world. He's not that anymore, not close. If he was, we wouldn't be thinking about having Dean Henderson as number 1 next season. However, I agree that if he had worked on those attributes he clearly would be a much better keeper than he is now, but he wouldn't be one of the very top keepers in the world at the moment right now matterless.
And I don't judge keepers based on "mistakes". A United keeper should be more than "he hasn't f*cked up much this year".
Nobody does that. But you also cannot have a goalkeeper that keeps dropping clangers like he did during times. No matter how much more basic goalkeeping he could have known, it wouldn't have mattered.
I'd post videos but you probably wouldn't get it...
Very true. Goalkeeping is pretty much rocket science after all.

Foxbatt

Was it against Arsenal that he was unbeatable? I cannot remember in which year it was? Either under Jose or Ole?

Nicolarra90

If he had the squad VDS had - he would have won us another CL. I’ve never seen a keeper so pivotal for a team after Peter.

Sadly the forum and fans have short memories.
VDS stopped anelka's pen. Villarreal could still be shooting and scoring

Nicolarra90

The bias of some here downplaying VDS is impressive. Pinocchio (as was called here in SA by a famous sportscaster) was outstanding. DDG comes in a comfortable third place.

Siezard

I do believe that this guy is better than Neuer for example.
Yes De Gea is better than Neuer in terms of reflexes and shot-stopping. Neuer is also prone to mistakes just like anyone else.

Commentary

Is our current longest serving squad player, and will have been with us for a decade at the end of this month.

How does he rank amongst the pantheon of United great keepers?

For me he falls just short of being considered a great keeper. He was very good in his prime though, shortly after Sir Alex left, and single handedly saved us many dropped points. I would consider him above Fabian Barthez but leagues below VDS and Schmeichel.
Totally agree, above Fabian, but below Schmeichel and VDS.

Unless United start winning major championships in the next few years. I think he'll be remembered as a great keeper in the wrong time period.

Will Singh

Overall as a keeper he has been good keeper but has had he’s ups and downs. 3rd best keeper we’ve had in modern times but would say he’s a legend!