David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The Schmeichel vid is howlers, has De Gea committed any howlers whatsoever? & look at the legend Peter became.

He may have made the odd wrong decision, but it's exceedingly harsh to lambaste him for that.

C'mon, find us a bona fides De Gea howler to compare with Schmeichel's.

Goooose

The Schmeichel vid is howlers, has De Gea committed any howlers whatsoever? & look at the legend Peter became.

He may have made the odd wrong decision, but it's exceedingly harsh to lambaste him for that.

C'mon, find us a bona fides De Gea howler to compare with Schmeichel's.
The closest thing to a howler I can think of would probably be that Newcastle goal at OT this season. He was criticised by a lot of people for that goal, but when Lindegaard did the same thing at Maine Road or whatever last season no-one cared.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The thing is that football fans are thick bastards who say the most pathetic shit ever and look negatively on everything unless everything is perfect but in de Geas case everything isn't perfect so the thick bastards who say the most pathetic shit aren't willing to change their mind.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I just feel really angry when someone calls DDG shit. Goalkeeping is hard as nails, there is a lot of stuff going through your mind. Hardest position to play if you ask me.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Come back when you can read what people have written, mate.
I've read it all, mate. Your was a contribution that shed no new light and makes De Gea come off as a neophyte who makes mistake after mistake after mistake, all of which he must -- and to your credit, fully believe he will -- learn from. But that's okay. We're all free to have our opinions. No problema, dude.

ciderman9000000

I've read it all, mate. Your was a contribution that shed no new light and makes De Gea come off as a neophyte who makes mistake after mistake after mistake, all of which he must -- and to your credit, fully believe he will -- learn from. But that's okay. We're all free to have our opinions. No problema, dude.
You're talking fecking shit. When have I said anything like that above? Again, come back when you're able to read; you're a fecking straw man terminator.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
The closest thing to a howler I can think of would probably be that Newcastle goal at OT this season. He was criticised by a lot of people for that goal, but when Lindegaard did the same thing at Maine Road or whatever last season no-one cared.
How was that even anywhere near being a howler though?

If you want to draw the line at howlers then look to VDS who dropped the ball cold under no pressure straight to Tchampo or whatever his name is to tap into an empty net.

DdG has come nowhere near anything being a howler. Despite some rotten melons on here that want us all to believe point blank and forced parries to the opposition are mistakes of epic proportion.

Goooose

That's exactly what I mean. That's the closest thing I can think of and it's nowhere near a howler. He's getting this criticism because of his price-tag and who he plays for. Unfortunately people (including United fans) believe what they read in the paper or on the internet instead of watching him play and having their own opinions. If a 21 year old English goalkeeper had the best shot-stopping stats in the PL last season he's be worth about £35m by now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I hope all the criticism will not make DDG think about leaving England in the futur, he's one player I would love to provok a complete turn around on medias' opinions on him, however difficult it might be.
For his age, to be doing what he has, at a club like Man Utd, it's really impressive and at the same time promising for his development

Goooose

Yeah, wasn't having a go at you. Just the point in general.
Aye no bother mate.

I hope all the criticism will not make DDG think about leaving England in the futur, he's one player I would love to provok a complete turn around on medias' opinions on him, however difficult it might be.
For his age, to be doing what he has, at a club like Man Utd, it's really impressive and at the same time promising for his development
I think he hangs around with Hernandez and our South American players (according to some Twitter photos I've seen anyway) and when you add that to Fergie's track record of handling younger players, hopefully he'll be okay in that respect.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
You're talking fecking shit. When have I said anything like that above? Again, come back when you're able to read; you're a fecking straw man terminator.

Cider, do you deny having written these words...

Nevertheless, most of us aren't so stubborn as to blindly ignore a time when de Gea has indeed made a genuine mistake, a trait that cannot be associated with you it would seem.

You're coming across as being a bit paranoid.
...or shall I quote your post directly?

Now that I've caught with your finger up your posterior orifice, let's go over this once again, shall we?

You have failed to make the case that De Gea "made a genuine mistake". You have failed to acknowledge the case that De Gea not only did NOT make a "genuine mistake", you fail to acknowledge that he in fact made the right decision to not risk getting sent off in the second minute, which indeed would have been a colossal mistake. If you're a keeper in a World Cup final you do not -- DO NOT -- risk getting sent off in a 1v1 situation. In that particular situation, De Gea did the only sensible sensible thing he could do. It didn't look pretty, but you can thank Carrick for that.

And by the way, both Carrick AND Fergie assigned blame on the play to Carrick, not to De Gea. But don't let that stop the bitching and moaning by De Gea's critics.

As it turned out, De Gea allowed us to go on with 11 men to get the win, which we did. Three points in the bag, but De Gea's critics keep banging their shit anyway.

And one last point. De Gea has been crapped on all season long for alleged "genuine mistakes". That is not paranoia -- that's a stone cold fact.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not convinced by the idea that he pulled out of the challenge because he calculated that the chances of being sent off, or even giving away a free-kick, outweighed the chance of saving it.

I think he just spazzed his attempt to narrow the angle a bit.

As 100 said, it's fine. He's getting a bit too much wrong at the moment but he's learning all the time, and making up for it with some top saves.
If he didn't calculate the risk, he would've just jumped wildly tried to catch the ball. I think he was caught in two minds either to stay put or to challenge for the ball. The split second decision made him look a little bit slow for the ball, where the striker was in single minded trying to get the ball.

But most likely DDG was caught off guard, confused why Carrick would pass it to Southampton player (did he claim an assist then?). A sublime pass, just like Kagawa for Rooney for our first. Even Smalling was just standing there, stranded ball watching.

Although I agree that he could've done better.

Tooni

He has made some mistakes and he will make some mistakes but at end of the day what can not be ignored is his outstanding potential. Some of the saves he makes clearly puts him among an elite few while most of his mistakes are purely down to indecisiveness/communication which I would say is the easiest of things for a goalkeeper to improve on. A stable defence and continuous run of games should do the trick.

He is in a similar situation to Smalling, while in short term their game may not be perfect but the potential in them is so obvious that it can not be taken out of the equation. I hope our fans can show the same fantastic support they show to Smalling for De Gea too.

Goooose

Only just watched that video (can't stream videos at work) and I can't believe how many brilliant saves he's made in just a season and a half. His critics baffle me.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Now that I've caught with your finger up your posterior orifice, let's go over this once again, shall we?

You have failed to make the case that De Gea "made a genuine mistake". You have failed to acknowledge the case that De Gea not only did NOT make a "genuine mistake", you fail to acknowledge that he in fact made the right decision to not risk getting sent off in the second minute, which indeed would have been a colossal mistake. If you're a keeper in a World Cup final you do not -- DO NOT -- risk getting sent off in a 1v1 situation. In that particular situation, De Gea did the only sensible sensible thing he could do. It didn't look pretty, but you can thank Carrick for that.

And by the way, both Carrick AND Fergie assigned blame on the play to Carrick, not to De Gea. But don't let that stop the bitching and moaning by De Gea's critics.

As it turned out, De Gea allowed us to go on with 11 men to get the win, which we did. Three points in the bag, but De Gea's critics keep banging their shit anyway.

And one last point. De Gea has been crapped on all season long for alleged "genuine mistakes". That is not paranoia -- that's a stone cold fact.
Ruud10 I am one of DDGs biggest fans I realised when we bought a 19 year old keeper from Spain it would be a work in progress and I personally am more than happy with the progress I have seen to date. There will be mistakes along the way no doubt it's natural and the press will highlight them as we are United and our standards are so high. But as much as I can't be doing with the press bumming up Hart and washing over his mistakes lets not bury our heads in the sand when DDG makes a mistake. Fergie and Carrick (as a senior pro) was always going to take the blame but DDG could have done better with the situation Carrick put him in. And he doesn't deserve credit for staying on the park cause his part was so weak. That is just daft. He should have made a stronger effort than his silly jump over the ball. That said I hope we stick with him as I believe he will be quality. I had heard Fergie was a big fan of the Stoke GK and has enquired about availability and them signing Butland does strengthen this rumor somewhat.

ciderman9000000

Your was a contribution that shed no new light and makes De Gea come off as a neophyte who makes mistake after mistake after mistake.

Nevertheless, most of us aren't so stubborn as to blindly ignore a time when de Gea has indeed made a genuine mistake.
I said he's made 'a mistake' , you report that as my accusing him of making 'mistake after mistake after mistake' .

You're a fecking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

Now that I've caught with your finger up your posterior orifice [As fecking if - cider], let's go over this once again, shall we?

You have failed to make the case that De Gea "made a genuine mistake". You have failed to acknowledge the case that De Gea not only did NOT make a "genuine mistake", you fail to acknowledge that he in fact made the right decision to not risk getting sent off in the second minute, which indeed would have been a colossal mistake.
Failed to make a case? Let's see some of the responses to the case I made, shall we?

Totally agree.
Good post.
Cider at his best! He was too nice to the opposition player yesterday.
Pretty much spot on.
Agree with nigh on every point.
Just about a perfect post on the subject.
Failed to make a case my fecking arse.

SAF said Carrick made, and has admitted to making, a mistake. I have said a number of times that I agree 100% with that.

I'm not a critic of de Gea, I think he's brilliant.

Not by me he hasn't. Go and read the thread, come back when you're considerably less retarded, otherwise shut the feck up and stop talking shit.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
When a poster on a forum like this resorts to "you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime" and the like, that's all you need to know that he's been beaten in argument.

Two points, cider, then let's drop it and see Fulham dispatched.

Fergie and Carrick both acknowledged Carrick made a mistake. Neither claimed De Gea made a mistake. By virtue of what they both said and what they both did not say, the only plausible inference must be that the mistake was by Carrick, at least in their eyes.

You may still believe that De Gea made a "genuine mistake", but there is nothing in the record to support the view that Fergie and Carrick would agree with you. I'll go with Fergie and Carrick every day over a poster named cider...or a poster named Ruud.

With respect to the "genuine mistake" itself, all you have to do is to understand the facts...a lobbed back pass into the path of a forward just outside the six yard box that put the keeper into extreme peril of getting all man and no ball in a clear goal scoring opportunity had he played it as though it were a 50/50 ball. There is nothing that De Gea could have done differently except raise his arms, but as we all know De Gea was beaten on the ground. Raising his arms would have been more aesthetically pleasing for some, but would not have changed the outcome of the play. The fate of the play was sealed by the back pass and the quick thinking of Rodriguez, not the failure of De Gea to flap his arms in the air while the ball was being played to the ground.

THE mistake was by Carrick, who freely admitted it, as did his manager, both of whom know substantially more about football than the two of us.

Time to let this go, "you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime". :lol:

(Tip for the future, hurling insults only betray your weakness in argument. Even if you're defeated, you really don't want to make it so obvious.)

binary bot
Fergie is never going to paint a young player especially DDG in a negative light; Keane was probably the last player to publicly criticize a teammate here, I wouldn't read too much into what they say

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Cech just parried a ball back to a Newcastle forward, resulting in a goal. Let's see if the British media and Chelsea fans lob shit all over him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Cech just patted a shot down his throat to a player for a tap in, wonder if the press will absolutely batter him too

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Come on guys. It will be forgotten about quickly. Cech's tenure at Chelsea is coming to an end soon anyway with Courtois coming back.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Fergie is never going to paint a young player especially DDG in a negative light; Keane was probably the last player to publicly criticize a teammate here, I wouldn't read too much into what they say
Fergie has criticized De Gea before, when the facts warranted it.

In any event, Fergie's silence on De Gea's supposed culpability does not allow the conclusion that he actually agrees De Gea was partly at fault.

Perhaps De Gea will make an actual "genuine mistake" soon, thereby giving some posters here real meat to chew on. The problem, however, would be that the British media would literally camp outside De Gea's home, write their gobshyte about how he's not fit for the English game, harassing him to go back to Spain.

izzydiggler

I'm a huge fan of De Gea and have defended him on numerous occasions but are some people seriously saying he played no part in Southampton's goal? Carrick was obviously more a fault but De Gea should have done better for sure.

The stick he's been getting seems to have resulted in some people blindly defending him, absolving every mistake (and he does make them). It's not helped by the awful media coverage mind - 5 minutes about him on Soccer Saturday but seemingly no mention of Szczęsny's shambolic performance against Liverpool.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Looking at the Newcastle's 2nd goal today the commentator seemed to think Cech should have done better. Now I am no keeper but when a shot is hit at pace how much can a keeper actually dictate where his save goes? Is it really as easy to palm the ball away as the commentators seem to think?

TuTuHimm

Can definitely write definitely correctly
The confirmation bias is quite big concerning the capabilities of de Gea.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yep Keegan Barnes and Burley having a pop at DDG. I remember Cech and Reina having real dodgy spells but got none of this tripe. DDG is having a better season than Hart and made less mistakes imo but they think Hart is one of the best in the world? Yet DDG is not good enough for us?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Barry Glendenning on Football Weekly also commented how he thought the media criticism of him seemed to be totally over the top... and that's coming from someone working in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.