David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
They'd be absolute nut jobs not to. You've got to love big Dave, he has the same level of respect for United as Evra does. He'll commit for another Five years at least, i'm sure of it. :)
Hope you're right. He deserves a career filled with success so we need to get back to where we belong.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It just looks like promotional material for 'The Apprentice'. All it needs is Alan Sugar in the background.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Swap our De Gea???? Not on your nelly. Barca and Real Madrid could team up and offer us Ronaldo, Bale, Messi and Sanchez and I'd tell them to do one. No one is getting our Dave.

He's a young, fantastic keeper, with a glorious beard :nervous:, is a transfer muppet's wet dream, seems to love the club, and overcame his personal battle against pastry-related kleptomania.

Plus, Real Madrid and Barcelona would probably have to come to some kind of unprecedented agreement where the use him for alternate weeks of the year and one would hate the other if he got injured while playing for them. And who does he play for in Classicos? It'd be a mess. And that's if Fifa and Uefa even allow such deals to happen. I just don't see this imaginary scenario I created happening.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
How many league titles did we win when we didn't have a decent keeper, our highest points tally ever in the PL was when we had Barthez as our goalkeeper. There isn't a great deal of difference between the best goalkeeper in the world and the 10th best over the course of a season. Having Vidal and Lindegaard in net would probably improve us more than just having De Gea in net.
That's not true, one world class save from De Gea can win a match for us.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
How many league titles did we win when we didn't have a decent keeper, our highest points tally ever in the PL was when we had Barthez as our goalkeeper. There isn't a great deal of difference between the best goalkeeper in the world and the 10th best over the course of a season. Having Vidal and Lindegaard in net would probably improve us more than just having De Gea in net.
Don't agree at all, one important save can get us 1 or 3 points. But above all how many CL finals did we reach when we didn't have a world class goalkeeper? Especially in knock-out games a great keeper can be vital.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Eurodisney? Um... ok...

With all the Neuer praising going on, I was thinking about what our Dave could learn from watching him. For me, the one big hole in De Gea's game is his occasional indecision when it comes to coming off his line. Watching keepers like Neueur and Lloris this tournament really brings that home. It's not even about coming to claim high balls too (the traditional criticism of continental keepers) so much as being consistent and decisive when it comes to advancing off his line to claim or clear a ball, inside or outside his box whether in the air or on the ground. I don't think he does this enough and it's a defensive vulnerability for our back four as a unit. Doesn't even need to be a charge out, dozens of yards upfield. Watching Neuer get down to block crosses at the edge of his six yard box reminded me of how often we see low crosses go right the way through our box without any intervention from our keeper.

De Gea doesn't need to do the whole "sweeper keeper" thing but he's a quick, athletic footballer who could do a lot more clearing up around his box than we've seen from him so far. So yeah... yong and lernin...

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Is there any recorded footage of David speaking English, or is it all still translated Spanish? He's now spent 3 years in England, he's gotta have some form of broken but functional grasp of the language at least right?

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Is there any recorded footage of David speaking English, or is it all still translated Spanish? He's now spent 3 years in England, he's gotta have some form of broken but functional grasp of the language right?
He spoke good English at last seasons player of the year awards.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Only part of his game in doubt is his pen saving, surely he is below the average ratio of what a keeper would typically save.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Only part of his game in doubt is his pen saving, surely he is below the average ratio of what a keeper would typically save.
Extremely harsh to say it's in doubt. He has made some great saves from the spot.

Malva

i really don't think that that's a doubt in him.. he's guessed the right way and got finger tip close to at least a half dozen penalties now, and he's saved (including shootouts), around 4 pk's? i think at minimum he's an ok penalty stopper, and my belief is that he's a good one.

It's as simple as, some penalties can't be stopped. you can only really measure prowess in this area over at least 6 or so seasons having faced at least 20 or so pk's imo. how many pk's can you remember courtois saving? dave probably saved more then him comparing their atletico tenures, i know he saved at least 2-3 in his years there.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm not worried at all about the new contract, big Dave won't be going anywhere. He's going to become a club legend.

Bwuk

He'll get a new contract and a wage rise. He's amazing. Wouldn't worry about it.

ZDwyr

LVG said he was our best GK at penalties...
Which probably says a bit about our other GKs. I don't think DDG is brilliant at penalties, but it is difficult to judge really. If he was Neuer size it would be a big advantage though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
With all the Neuer praising going on, I was thinking about what our Dave could learn from watching him. For me, the one big hole in De Gea's game is his occasional indecision when it comes to coming off his line. Watching keepers like Neueur and Lloris this tournament really brings that home. It's not even about coming to claim high balls too (the traditional criticism of continental keepers) so much as being consistent and decisive when it comes to advancing off his line to claim or clear a ball, inside or outside his box whether in the air or on the ground. I don't think he does this enough and it's a defensive vulnerability for our back four as a unit. Doesn't even need to be a charge out, dozens of yards upfield. Watching Neuer get down to block crosses at the edge of his six yard box reminded me of how often we see low crosses go right the way through our box without any intervention from our keeper.

De Gea doesn't need to do the whole "sweeper keeper" thing but he's a quick, athletic footballer who could do a lot more clearing up around his box than we've seen from him so far. So yeah... yong and lernin...
Nothing against Neuer, he's a top keeper, but he overdoes it and looked like a fool in the past or was lucky not to be sent off

Parma Dewol

We're only two games in but De Gea seems to be playing a bit differently already. Seems rooted to his line. There have been a few occasions where he could have easily come and collected the ball, but he chooses not to, often resulting in a defender hoofing it out for a throw.

DeMono

I thought he was very good today because had improved so much from Swansea's game. Under pressure he made successful short and long passes. It may be a standard thing for goalkeepers, but the main thing is that he improved from previous games.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We're only two games in but De Gea seems to be playing a bit differently already. Seems rooted to his line. There have been a few occasions where he could have easily come and collected the ball, but he chooses not to, often resulting in a defender hoofing it out for a throw.
This was very noticeable. Both Jone and Blackett rightly had a go at him for being rooted to the line.

He needs to come out more often.

ZDwyr

Doesn't seem to be totally comfortable communicating with the defence in front of him (perhaps understandably). He should have come out and collected the ball a few times. As mentioned though, I thought his passing was a little bit better.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Feel for him, defenders doing absolutely nothing to help him.

Also, get his contract sorted quickly please.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I just hope his confidence isn't affected from the shit show we are putting on. Its not his fault we are shipping in goals. He has to deal with the shower of shite that is playing in front of him.

Scrumpet

There are no words
This was very noticeable. Both Jone and Blackett rightly had a go at him for being rooted to the line.

He needs to come out more often.
This happened a couple more times tonight. Like that moment an MK Dons player just hooked the ball over his shoulder over the defence, was waiting for him to appear but he was on his line.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Defence in front of him is useless, but is it just me who feels he could have done better for the third goal? I know it's just one of the goals, but I'd usually see him save those.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He was probably played to have an easy match compared to the shit we've served him over last fixtures.

Yup, that went well. His reaction to the fourth goal pretty much summed it up.

saivet

I'm a big fan of his but he should have done better for Afobe's first goal.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
But yeah he needs to watch Neuer more in action to learn when to come out of his line. It could ease the pressure on the defense a bit.

HabeasC

He is great, but he needs to be quicker off of his line. That split second decision making is really important.

Djemba-Djemba

He should have done much better for the 3rd goal.

I wouldn't be surprised though if mistakes started creeping into his game after some of the shit he's had to put up with over the last 12 months. I've played in net a few times and if the defence in front of you is crap and you've conceded a few, it's only human nature that your performance levels start to drop too.

Status
Not open for further replies.