Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Remember when people thought Lindegaard should be our starting keeper? My god that feels like an eternity ago, Dave has gotten so ridiculously good in the past couple of years. If we don't get Hummels to improve our defence, then our back 3 might be needing a LOT of bailing out this season. Big Dave's gonna have a busy year.

NMF

It's a bit worrying he hasn't signed an extension. Two years left on his current deal, his girlfriend wants him to play in Spain again and Madrid will be on the search for a new long term GK in a year or two.

El Zoido

He seems really happy here, he'll sign a new deal. Not worried in the slightest.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
It's a bit worrying he hasn't signed an extension. Two years left on his current deal, his girlfriend wants him to play in Spain again and Madrid will be on the search for a new long term GK in a year or two.
Navas is 27 years old, I don't think Real will look for a new GK for the next few seasons, if he is doing fine. Barca has Ter Stegen, so they are sorted for the next years. Maybe a return to Atletico? But they need to be competetive the next years and with Oblak they signed also a very young talented goalkeeper this season. Give him a good payrise and add more spanish wizards in the upcoming seasons and Dave will stay here ;)

Man Utd 2:1 Valencia

Trizy

The battle that everyone wanted to see is about to happen this year; De Gea vs Courtois which for me De Gea edges it but then again I am a massive of Big Dave, and every now and then I think he's just too good when he saves an outrageous shot, its quite funny tbf. No doubt the two best young keepers in the world but who do you think is better? Even if De Gea has a season noticeably better than Courtois almost every top 5 fan will say he didn't because their hate for United.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
de Gea has the advantage of already been used to the physicality of the Premier League. It will be interesting to see how quickly Courtois adapts over the coming months.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
With the cards as they are at the moment, I'd say Courtois is going to be playing in a more settled team and more organized defensively, at least at first. Our defence is still experimenting a new system, has had some important players leaving and is still pretty young. Playing behind a settled defence is an important factor for a GK, imagine our Dave behind the defensive unit Van der Sar used to have. :drool: Even though Dave had a good season last year, it wasn't documented at all because our team looked a mess and we conceeded stupid goals (for which he wasn't at fault). He made one blunder whole season (COC against Sunderland after which he did tremendously in the kick out session, let down by our players incompetent penalties) and had a pretty stellar individual record apart from that, but it won't especially be remembered.

What I'm trying to say is that for a big team, the way the GK is judged is also due to where the team finishes and the overall impression of solidity it's given. It's not ALL in his hands, imo.

NMF

De Gea will never get the credit he deserves until he has a good and settled defense in front of him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seeing as this thread is about his performances, I thought he wasn't great against Valencia. A couple of really poor/dangerous clearances and that shot down his throat which he spilled in a dangerous area.

I know people are going to start accusing me of being biased against him but I really don't see him as being at the same level as many seem to see him on here. He's a really talented young keeper, with loads of great qualities but still definitely a work in progress.

Midnight1811

Interview with him on MUTV right now. His English has really improved.
That's great. I remember reading last September from Eric Steele that he was lazy in his learning of english. Also, before that interview even happened he said when we played Madrid away in the CL, he was disappointed to get any questions asked in English rather than Spanish to point out he knew it

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Is it possible to not love him?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
For a second I thought he was injured, too ...

Midnight1811

Remember when people thought Lindegaard should be our starting keeper? My god that feels like an eternity ago, Dave has gotten so ridiculously good in the past couple of years. If we don't get Hummels to improve our defence, then our back 3 might be needing a LOT of bailing out this season. Big Dave's gonna have a busy year.
I'm proud I've backed him since day 1 regardless of all the trouble.

RuudTom83

SAF's last gift before he stepped down. The way SAF controlled both DDG and the stupid media surrounding his first season has proved correct once again.

I hope we are celebrating his 10th ear at the club, but for that to happen the team needs to get back into the CL otherwise the big Spanish teams will be sniffing around him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Did he say anything interesting?
Nothing much really. Just saying he is happy that there is Spanish speaking contingent in the squad so new players can settle in easier. Excited to play under a new manager and its a new era etc.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Need to get that new contract sorted soon.

LR7

Just saw his interview (from Friday) on MUTV. I know he was being interviewed in English last season but he's properly fluent now.
Isn't his contract situation the same as Welbeck's with just 2 seasons left? Without sounding Moyes-esque, we need to take a leaf out of City's book. Players like De Gea need to be signed up to new long term contracts asap. Hopefully once the transfer window foolishness is out of the way, Woodward can focus on that.

kotha

We need to tie him down to a long term contract asap. Among all the players in our club at this point of time,if we were to lose a player, I think losing DDG will pain the most.

Bwuk

I love him.

Still wish it had been him who was made captain.

Agent Dave, what a guy.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just saw his interview (from Friday) on MUTV. I know he was being interviewed in English last season but he's properly fluent now.
Isn't his contract situation the same as Welbeck's with just 2 seasons left? Without sounding Moyes-esque, we need to take a leaf out of City's book. Players like De Gea need to be signed up to new long term contracts asap. Hopefully once the transfer window foolishness is out of the way, Woodward can focus on that.
We do but you can tell he feels at home between the sticks here, I don't think an offer even from Bayern, Barca or Real would make him consider leaving and that's comforting.

Bwuk

On a different note, how far off of Edwin Van Der Sar level do we think De Gea is.

LR7

We do but you can tell he feels at home between the sticks here, I don't think an offer even from Bayern, Barca or Real would make him consider leaving and that's comforting.
I think it would be extremely naïve of us to allow his contract to run below two years regardless.

ZDwyr

GIVE HIM A NEW DEAL WOODY! It's just as important as making a signing I think (maybe not yet but it will be if we let his contract go closer to running out).

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
We need to tie him down to a long term contract asap. Among all the players in our club at this point of time,if we were to lose a player, I think losing DDG will pain the most.
I think the club will give new contracts to a few players after the international break in September

The job for Woodward & Co. was first new signings and then new contracts

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
On a different note, how far off of Edwin Van Der Sar level do we think De Gea is.
He's brilliant but I do feel he's a little while off from van Der Sar. His performance in the CL final was immense.

ricky-romeo

edwin was special for us. up there with schmeichel as our best goalie imo. and of course he was very lucky to have rio, vidic and evra all at their peak infront of him.

hopefully we can sort out our defense. david deserves one. and of course a new contract too.

The Red Thinker

I'd say he's far superior to what VDS was at a similar age and that says something about the lad! Now if we were to compare glory years VDS to DDG, I think they're not too far apart. The only thing he needs to work on now is his ability to arrange a defence during set pieces. Also, a bit more commanding in the air (he's been improving that surely).

The best part about DDG is that he's only turning 24 in two months. 24!! This is a lad who is in the high echelon of great talents - Courtois, Ter Stegen and DDG have a begun a new era of great goalkeepers.

Sunderland 1:1 Man Utd

Boycott

He deserves so much more.

Awesome keeper with rubbish in front of him. On a personal level he should have way more clean sheets and recognition than he gets but the rest in front of him cost him.

Oo0AahCantona

He deserves so much more.

Awesome keeper with rubbish in front of him. On a personal level he should have way more clean sheets and recognition than he gets but the rest in front of him cost him.
Absolutely, if the team was up to scratch people would talk about him with the likes of Neur and courtios

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd say he's far superior to what VDS was at a similar age and that says something about the lad! Now if we were to compare glory years VDS to DDG, I think they're not too far apart. The only thing he needs to work on now is his ability to arrange a defence during set pieces. Also, a bit more commanding in the air (he's been improving that surely).

The best part about DDG is that he's only turning 24 in two months. 24!! This is a lad who is in the high echelon of great talents - Courtois, Ter Stegen and DDG have a begun a new era of great goalkeepers.
Really? I'd say van der Sar was an outstanding young keeper and was at a similar age than de Gea now during Ajax' brilliant years in the 90's. He was 24 when he won the CL. I rate de Gea a lot, he's maybe even at a comparable level than van der Sar back then, but he's definitely not far superior. The strange thing about van der Sar's career was always the years which should have been his peak. It seems that the problems in his first year in Italy completely destroyed his confidence and he needed years to rebuild it and get back to his best and then he got another shot at the top level late in his career at United. But you could argue that his peak form was at Ajax, not at United, and that was between 23 and 26.

The Red Thinker

Really? I'd say van der Sar was an outstanding young keeper and was at a similar age than de Gea now during Ajax' brilliant years in the 90's. He was 24 when he won the CL. I rate de Gea a lot, he's maybe even at a comparable level than van der Sar back then, but he's definitely not far superior. The strange thing about van der Sar's career was always the years which should have been his peak. It seems that the problems in his first year in Italy completely destroyed his confidence and he needed years to rebuild it and get back to his best and then he got another shot at the top level late in his career at United. But you could argue that his peak form was at Ajax, not at United, and that was between 23 and 26.
Fair point. However VDS had a superior defence in front of him then. For the last year and half De Gea has been let down an awful lot.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Fair point. However VDS had a superior defence in front of him then. For the last year and half De Gea has been let down an awful lot.
Sounds probably weird, but I actually think that helps de Gea look truely great at the moment. He's an freakishly brilliant shotstopper and he gets more than enough chances to show that. VDS back then was part of a tactically complex system and was very important to make that 343 with a high line in defense work. He needed to excel in much more than shotstopping at an early age and he did.

Raul Madrid

Sounds probably weird, but I actually think that helps de Gea look truely great at the moment. He's an freakishly brilliant shotstopper and he gets more than enough chances to show that. VDS back then was part of a tactically complex system and was very important to make that 343 with a high line in defense work. He needed to excel in much more than shotstopping at an early age and he did.
I take it you are not a big fan of casillas then? (ie rated him as among the best keepers or the best keeper at any point I his career)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I take it you are not a big fan of casillas then? (ie rated him as among the best keepers or the best keeper at any point I his career)
I always thought his saves look so spectacular because he's so small for a keeper and tehrefore makes easy saves look great :lol:. Of course Casillas was an excellent keeper, but he's nowhere near the greats of the past 25 years in my opinion. I'd even rate his peak a level below Cech and van der Sar. Doesn't mean he wasn't important to his teams, but I always thought his personality was more influential than his actual ability as a keeper.