View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Raul Madrid

I always thought his saves look so spectacular because he's so small for a keeper and tehrefore makes easy saves look great :lol:. Of course Casillas was an excellent keeper, but he's nowhere near the greats of the past 25 years in my opinion. I'd even rate his peak a level below Cech and van der Sar. Doesn't mean he wasn't important to his teams, but I always thought his personality was more influential than his actual ability as a keeper.
I am obviously biased towards casillas but personally I would have him as one of the best (probably second best) of his generation after Buffon. I concede though that Casillas was overrated to a certain extent due to him being from Madrid and coming from madrids youth system and also being the Spanish captain so he got a lot of protection from the media (he also got a similar treatment to messi due to the fact that he is perceived as humble and quiet etc). He is not as complete as a lot of the other keepers but I though his shot-stopping was at such a high level that it propelled him higher than a lot of keepers that were better all-round. There were a couple of seasons where he really was a one-man wall as (especially during 03 to 09) Madrid had some really bad defenders (although some keepers benefit from that as it helps them keep their concentration whereas it is also difficult for a keeper to have nothing to deal with and then pull off a great save out of nowhere). I also thought his ability to make saves at decisive moments (like I the WC final and the CL final in 02) was what made him special as not every player has that. I definitely would have him higher than Cech and van der sar but I guess it depends what you want from your keeper.

Parma Dewol

Whoops didn't see the new thread.

We're only two games in but De Gea seems to be playing a bit differently already. Seems rooted to his line. There have been a few occasions where he could have easily come and collected the ball, but he chooses not to, often resulting in a defender hoofing it out for a throw.

MoneyMay

Solid performance yesterday. His passing is slowly improving. In pre-season, his problem was his long passing, but he looks more and more comfortable playing long balls now. However, he needs to be more authoritative in open play. Jones and Blackett had a go at him for not coming out to deal with the ball on two separate occasions, and that's one of his "weaknesses", IMO.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
World class 'keeper. Hopefully he finally receives the protection he deserves this season, the poor bastard is constantly over worked.

KiD MoYeS

Agreed. We need a settled back four/five for once but our defenders all seem to be made out of glass.
Jones, Evans and Smalling definitely are. Which is a massive issue. I very much doubt we'll see a settled defence this season, due to both injuries and changes in formation. Thank Christ he's such a top shot stopper.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Probably going against the usual opinion here of 'he's class' but does he ever save?

Lately (and the back end of last season) it seems, whenever the opposition have a shot, the ball goes in the net, sometimes goalkeepers get you out of messes and mistakes by defenders, with De Gea it seems all mistakes are punished.

KiD MoYeS

Probably going against the usual opinion here of 'he's class' but does he ever save?

Lately (and the back end of last season) it seems, whenever the opposition have a shot, the ball goes in the net, sometimes goalkeepers get you out of messes and mistakes by defenders, with De Gea it seems all mistakes are punished.
I'm unsure. Goalkeeper isn't a position I'd be overly observant of but I wouldn't have blamed him for the majority of the goals we've conceded in recent months. In fact I'd feel he's definitely earned us more points than he's lost us. I think he's a world class 'keeper, just below the level of Neuer, who's in a league of his own.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete

As a former keeper myself...it comes with the job. De Gea is one of the best in the league and his shot stopping is almost impeccable. Utd should be lucky to have a keeper like him and IMHO, he should be given the #1 spot for Spain. I'm still trying to ascertain how he saved that free-kick from Mata 2 seasons ago.

Dominos

Bit harsh but have to say I feel like you have a point. It's great how blunder-free he's been in recent memory but he's not doing anything special, he's not great one on one and it's a rarity he has a game where you credit him with keeping us in it, and he's had ample opportunities to do that. Sunderland away and Olympiakos home are the only ones that stand out from last season.

He's probably the least of our problems right now but he's been a bit overrated on here. He's definitely got another level to go to with the talent he possesses. Rather than just being solid enough that you can't criticise him, we should be coming out of more games thinking "thank god we had De Gea today". I do feel sorry for him, it seems like every season since he arrived here we've been saying "once the defence in front of him is sorted..." and here we are 3 years later. He can't save our arses every week but right now he can't save our arses any week.

binary bot
Thought he could've did better with one of the goals today which was close to him, slightly ridiculous the regularity at which strikers get unchallenged shots at him in and around the box though. Must be so frustrating when you're attempting to keep a clean sheet and then a defender presents the opponent with virtually an open net.

ZDwyr

Bit harsh but have to say I feel like you have a point. It's great how blunder-free he's been in recent memory but he's not doing anything special, he's not great one on one and it's a rarity he has a game where you credit him with keeping us in it, and he's had ample opportunities to do that. Sunderland away and Olympiakos home are the only ones that stand out from last season.

He's probably the least of our problems right now but he's been a bit overrated on here. He's definitely got another level to go to with the talent he possesses. Rather than just being solid enough that you can't criticise him, we should be coming out of more games thinking "thank god we had De Gea today". I do feel sorry for him, it seems like every season since he arrived here we've been saying "once the defence in front of him is sorted..." and here we are 3 years later. He can't save our arses every week but right now he can't save our arses any week.
Made a good save from Suarez at OT last season. I think his one-on-one stuff is quite good. Needs a better defence in front of him though. I can't see him sticking around if we keep sinking like this.

sajeev

I don't want to frame this as a criticism but rather as an observation. Why is he so deep inside his area at almost all times? There were a number of times even yesterday where the defence would have been better off if he had not been stuck so deep inside his box. With his ability on the ball he should look to play more of the sweeper role, and that should help our defence too. It is definitely an area of improvement for him.

Djemba-Djemba

Like I said in the other thread I think he's been pretty average in the 3 games this season, he could have done better for the 2nd Swansea goal and he should have done better for the 3rd goal last night.

The thing is I wouldn't be surprised if errors started to creep into his game after the shit he's had to put up with in the last 12 months. I've played in net a few times and if your defence is useless and you've already conceded a few goals it's human nature that your performance levels drop too. As others have said though he's the least of our problems at the minute.

SambaBoy

He seems to struggle to get to the bottom corner ones that roll in with a lack of pace. One's like Cabaye and Ki Seung Yeung's. He has immense reflexes and when the ball is off the ground he makes some incredible saves, maybe he just can't get to ground quick enough to save them. I wouldn't necessarily say they are shots he should be saving but you do see top class keepers tipping them round the post.

Still he's an incredible keeper who will only get better.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I had a dream this morning that we had let him join a club in America called "Atlanta". It was his wish to leave the club as he'd always wanted to go to an American College like they have in the movies. I woke up grieving.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
They now have Rojo and Di Maria to speak Spanish with, with possibly Vidal to come too.

feck, that's 7 spanish-speaking players in our squad!?!? Incredible to think.

Do feel bad for him, he's got yet more dogshite to play behind this season. Only one goal out of 7 should have been saved by him, otherwise the rest were just dreadful defending. Hopefully a switch to 4-3-3 with a competent DM in front will see less goals leak through.

Bwuk

Needs a better defence in front of him.

I love Dave he's brilliant.

REJE

Erm, last season it was a 'Thank god we had De Gea all year'.. We would've finished 9th or so if he didn't show up as many times as he did.

Fbh112

squelchy shoes
Need to get him signed up asap. Player I'd hate to lose most. Missed the game last night, but from what seen of him this season it has looked like he is quite rooted to his line and isn't coming out even to claim the ball at times. There'll obviously be some confusion with inexperienced players at the back and a bit of musical chairs so far. The new formation leaves him horribly exposed and it looks like he'll be in for a busy time of it. He's coming on nicely hopefully under LVG he can keep on developing his distribution as it was a trait of his he didn't use as much last season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Casillas still there, will they ever drop him? I wouldn't be surprised if DDG still doesn't start a game for Spain. At least they dropped the mascot!

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
What is up with his distribution currently? Admittedly some times the defenders aren't helping him but other occasions, he isn't helping himself.

There's your fecking problem. We have cowards like Evans and Jones who can't pass it forward and insist on having de Gea kick it long for them.

footballgirl07

There's your fecking problem. We have cowards like Evans and Jones who can't pass it forward and insist on having de Gea kick it long for them.
True, I think Blackett was the only one again willing to pick up the ball and look for the forward pass.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Nobody showed for the ball in CM. Hence all the long balls.

Kostur

海尔的老板
His reaction in about 75th minute said it all. Jonny idiot passed the ball to him when the striker was about 5 yard away from DDG and started pressing him, David dribbled him and kicked the ball on out. Then he looked at Evans who made himself available in shit zone DDG had no chance to pass to and shrugged at him with this 'feck off you cnut' look on his face.

Our defenders are a joke at distribution and in 352 they're responsible for it. Our strikers can't keep the ball when he's hoofing it at them and our midfield is too stupid to get the second balls so what the feck is he supposed to do with it.

SammyUnited_83

What is up with his distribution currently? Admittedly some times the defenders aren't helping him but other occasions, he isn't helping himself.
Also, doesn't come enough for the long balls over the top, appears that is due to shite communication.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
With the way our defence were half asleep and making schoolboy like errors in front of him there today it was a good job he was as alert as he was or we wouldn't even have gotten away with a point.

Redo91

Also, doesn't come enough for the long balls over the top, appears that is due to shite communication.
I thought he was quiet good at that today. There was even an instance where he rushed out of his box to prevent a one-on-one situation. Evans gave him a bollocking in the first half when he didn't come to collect a long ball which was bizarre as it landed around 12 yards from goal and it was never on for him to catch it.

SammyUnited_83

I thought he was quiet good at that today. There was even an instance where he rushed out of his box to prevent a one-on-one situation. Evans gave him a bollocking in the first half when he didn't come to collect a long ball which was bizarre as it landed around 12 yards from goal and it was never on for him to catch it.
Yeah he made a good challenge, but a few times the defenders (if they can call themselves that!) were trying to usher the ball back but he didn't want any part of it, causing the now traditional panic clearance, which usually results in a corner or thrown in.

Redo91

Yeah he made a good challenge, but a few times the defenders (if they can call themselves that!) were trying to usher the ball back but he didn't want any part of it, causing the now traditional panic clearance, which usually results in a corner or thrown in.
I can think of one instance where either Jones or Evans were holding of a defender and he should have come out for the ball. Like I said when Evans gave out to him for not coming off his line it was really bizarre as it was never on for him to collect it.

m1y2

someone can gif that dribbling skills in six yard box? if anything his confidence is sky high and glad to see him improving every match