6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Revan

Assumptionman
Del Bosque is planning on making him #1 regardless. He has already started one of the last international games. Altough I don't remember if it was just a friendly or not.
He'll be a starter soon enough, but there is a chance that Del Bosque will start with Casillas on the next EURO (which would be an even dafter decision than starting with him on WC). By going to Madrid, and so automatically displacing Casillas, he would pretty much ensure that will be Spain's main keeper on next EURO.

Still, I don't think that point will affect De Gea's decision for his eventual transfer to Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Yeah, Casillas is still captain. de Gea moving to Spain could be the difference between waiting one year, and effectively becoming number one in a few months. He may well be willing to wait, but I'd imagine that's what those in Spain will pitch to him. He's nearly 25.

Last edited:

Bwuk

If he goes in the summer, how do we rank him up against our other two top keepers in the premier league years? (Edwin and Schmikes).

For me he's the worst of the three, just wondered what everyone else thought?

Raw

If he goes in the summer, how do we rank him up against our other two top keepers in the premier league years? (Edwin and Schmikes).

For me he's the worst of the three, just wondered what everyone else thought?
Worst of the three. He'd have to win more at this club to be on the level of VDS and Schmeichel.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yup, he's #3 as of now and by a decent margin to be fair.

But that's to be expected, both Schmeichel and Van der Sar are among the all time greats so the bar is set extremely high on top of their peak years as goalkeepers coinciding with their United careers. Peter is one of the Top 5 of all time at his position, was 28 years old, a full international for Denmark with almost 20 caps while Edwin was approaching 35 with almost a 100 international caps and almost 500+ club appearances for Ajax, Juventus and Fulham.

By comparison, De Gea was only 20 when he joined us, has been here for less than 4 seasons and far removed from his peak so any comparisons are a bit unfair. That said, I reckon if he sticks around for 4-5 seasons he has a good chance to maybe match both and if (hopefully) he stays at United for the rest of his career and keeps the current trajectory, then he might even go down as the greatest keeper in Premier League history, eclipsing their records by a fair margin and maybe even better than Banks and Shilton for cumulative body of work.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Yup, he's #3 as of now and by a decent margin to be fair.

But that's to be expected, both Schmeichel and Van der Sar are among the all time greats so the bar is set extremely high on top of their peak years as goalkeepers coinciding with their United careers. Peter is one of the Top 5 of all time at his position, was 28 years old, a full international for Denmark with almost 20 caps while Edwin was approaching 35 with almost a 100 international caps and almost 500+ club appearances for Ajax, Juventus and Fulham.

By comparison, De Gea was only 20 when he joined us, has been here for less than 4 seasons and far removed from his peak so any comparisons are a bit unfair. That said, I reckon if he sticks around for 4-5 seasons he has a good chance to maybe match both and if (hopefully) he stays at United for the rest of his career and keeps the current trajectory, then he might even go down as the greatest keeper in Premier League history, eclipsing their records by a fair margin and maybe even better than Banks and Shilton for cumulative body of work.
Schmeichel is the greatest ever.

As for De Gea, he's made big leaps since 2013 and has also made PFA team of the season appearance and is very likely to get another one if we make the CL spots.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Schmeichel is the greatest ever.

As for De Gea, he's made big leaps since 2013 and has also made PFA team of the season appearance and is very likely to get another one if we make the CL spots.
No, not really. I'd put Yashin, Zoff, Banks and Buffon above him. And maybe Meier at level. He's definitely on the fringe of the Top 5 though, ahead of Kahn and Zamora and Dasaev and Fillol. Pretty sure most neutral and objective United fans would largely agree with that.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I would say he has a way to go too. There are two main reasons why: he moved when he was 20 compared to a 28 year old schmeichel and a 35 year old VdS, as well as playing in a vastly inferior team compared to these two. Pete and Ed were in the main two periods of Fergie's dominance, where he had his teams nailed on, perfectly, whereas De Gea has never had a settled back 4 since he has arrived. He spent the first two years trying to fight off the critics, and the other two has been spent being our best player. If we were in such a dominant way like we were in the past and had won more silverware, it would be hard to say he isn't close to, or on level with the other two.

If he stays for another season, he would have been here as long as VDS and only 3 years off Schmeichel, and you can't deny that 3 seasons of top level play like his won't put him near them. He's only been lacking the silverware to back his hard work.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
No, not really. I'd put Yashin, Zoff, Banks and Buffon above him. And maybe Meier at level. He's definitely on the fringe of the Top 5 though, ahead of Kahn and Zamora and Dasaev and Fillol. Pretty sure most neutral and objective United fans would largely agree with that.
Schemiechel was better than every goalkeeper you mentioned expect maybe Buffon.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If Silva can start for Spain without playing for the big two, how come Dave has to leave? Especially as Casillias is getting phased out regardless. Its the dumbest reason to move I've heard yet.

Gannicus

Most of us are thinking about Yashin, Zoff, Schmeichel et al in their prime.

My friends, David De Gea is still 4-5 years away from being in his prime.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If Silva can start for Spain without playing for the big two, how come Dave has to leave? Especially as Casillias is getting phased out regardless. Its the dumbest reason to move I've heard yet.
Exactly. Has more to do with politics and the status around Casillas. If Spain's manager is smart enough, he goes with some of the younger players and brings new faces. If he sticks to the old school group, he will play Casillas whether DDG is at Madrid or United

Kostur

海尔的老板
I've had a nightmare tonight that David was sent off in some match prior to dippers one and I was mad as hell that we've lost a guy who'd have saved us the points.

Classical Mechanic

He should at least sign a new contract so we can obtain an obscene fee for him, you owe us that Dave! Otherwise there has to be Gareth Bale coming the other way at a nice discount.

RedDF

He should at least sign a new contract so we can obtain an obscene fee for him, you owe us that Dave! Otherwise there has to be Gareth Bale coming the other way at a nice discount.
i dont get why we should pay at all for bale... we're getting a good winger and they're getting the Worlds best goalkeeper, they should pay us!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He one deserves that kind of raise that will keep him here for the rest of career. If not, we really have no ambition to build a strong European side.

To be or not to be... Louie.

SirAF

Ageist
He one deserves that kind of raise that will keep him here for the rest of career. If not, we really have no ambition to build a strong European side.

To be or not to be... Louie.
It's not going to be about money if he leaves, the club will offer him top dollar. Remember the interview with Woodward during last summers pre-season where he spoke of how sick he was of seeing the best players in Spain.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's not going to be about money if he leaves, the club will offer him top dollar. Remember the interview with Woodward during last summers pre-season where he spoke of how sick he was of seeing the best players in Spain.
Great point but we can't just assume that everyone of our top players will end up in Spain.

I remember that interview. His confidence sounded quite solid then and what a way to keep his word by keeping David here who by the way is unquestionably most valued player in United by pretty much everyone.

Kag

Indeed. The possibility of De Gea leaving has nothing to do with money. I think the terms on offer as of now, if there are any, will be greater than any goalkeeper has ever seen. We'll pay greater than Madrid, too.

Sadly, or not sadly, from a moral standpoint, this looks like nothing to do with money and everything to do with personal and football reasons.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he's in with a good shout to win POTY this year, no real stand out candidates for outfield players but he's been so consistent all season long. Also, I'm starting to get a bit of hope that he might stay long term too. If we get top 4 and next season are challenging for trophies again, then I can't see him leaving. Ronaldo is going to be declining soonish at Madrid and so they'll inevitably get a lot worse when that happens, and with us spending big, it could be that we will be at their level quality wise relatively soon. All things to consider for De Gea, with him being an Atleti fan as well. Wishful thinking perhaps, and if we miss out on top 4 then he'll probably leave, but there's definitely hope for us I think.
Most of us are thinking about Yashin, Zoff, Schmeichel et al in their prime.

My friends, David De Gea is still 4-5 years away from being in his prime.
Yeah... De Gea has it in him to be up there with the best goalkeepers ever IMO.

Gannicus

Think he's in with a good shout to win POTY this year, no real stand out candidates for outfield players but he's been so consistent all season long. Also, I'm starting to get a bit of hope that he might stay long term too. If we get top 4 and next season are challenging for trophies again, then I can't see him leaving. Ronaldo is going to be declining soonish at Madrid and so they'll inevitably get a lot worse when that happens, and with us spending big, it could be that we will be at their level quality wise relatively soon. All things to consider for De Gea, with him being an Atleti fan as well. Wishful thinking perhaps, and if we miss out on top 4 then he'll probably leave, but there's definitely hope for us I think.

Yeah... De Gea has it in him to be up there with the best goalkeepers ever IMO.
I'm starting to see De Gea at United for the long term too.

Calling these things early in one's career is always tricky business, but I really do believe De Gea can not only be up there with best of all time, but to be eventually regarded as the best of all time. De Gea's shot-stopping technique and footwork is simply unbelievable, unequaled in the game today. The save on Mata's free kick. The foot save on Coentrao. The countless saves we pretty much take for granted now.

What De Gea does not have have yet is big game experience -- no cup finals, no CL semifinals, obviously no World Cup finals yet -- but when we get there and Spain comes back with a strong performance in the World Cup De Gea will get his unforgettable moments viewed by hundreds of millions of viewers around the world and then we'll start to read comparisons to Yashin, Zoff and Schmikes. Only time will tell whether he'll put in those incredible performances in those massive cup finals, but I actually have no doubt that he will.

Brilliant buy by Ferguson.

prarek

One of the commentators seemed to reckon that there was a slight deflection on Sterling's goal. Is this true?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Should have done better with their goal. Possibly the first time I've thought that with DDG though.
I can handle that :cool:

SirAF

Ageist
I was about to go ballistic about de Gea but then I heard the commentator mention that it was a slight deflection - so fair enough.

Otherwise he was bloody brilliant again, such a calm outlet whenever passing it back was needed and he was also quickly of his line which is something he has greatly improved at.

tom33

Poor with the goal. The deflection was minimal (if at all, I couldn't really see much of one), so he ought to have gotten a hand to it at least. Kicking was brilliant though, at one point he charged out of goal to sweep up and hita first time ball about 60 yards to Fellaini's chest. If that was deliberate, it was one of the best passes of the game.

prarek

Ok now im convinced there was a deflection. Not a good angle but its easy to make out from De Gea's body language. Also if you import it to an editing tool like photoshop you can see trace the trajectory by marking a point on the ball every frame and then joining them. Keep in mind the camera is also moving every frame so put that into your calculations.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Deflection or no deflection, DDG is untouchable after all of those stellar performances he's put in for us this season. Any goalkeeper will make an error or two in the course of a season.