6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Deflection or not, we should have handled that period much better. We were far too complacent, and should have looked to completely kill the game and any confidence Liverpool had of a recovery.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Still a bit of a mistake for his standards though, even though it did have a deflection. You'd still expect him to save it.

Courtois and Neuer though... Awful

SirAF

Ageist
Still a bit of a mistake for his standards though, even though it did have a deflection. You'd still expect him to save it.

Courtois and Neuer though... Awful
Definitely - he's entitled to a mistake or two for the season he's had though!

Just sign the bloody contract

Raoul

Admin
Staff
All great keepers make mistakes every now and then. De Gea's distribution in particular today however, was top class.

m1y2

apart that front post weaker effort, his distribution was fantastic, you know he will find the chest of Fellaini and we can start the attack from there, and also his sweeping got better. Hope he stays here forever. Give him 300k per week ffs.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think it was a 'mistake'. It was a deflection from such close range, which pushed it away from De Gea, and not towards him. Not completely unsaveable but very difficult. he'd have to have been anticipating the deflection, which he clearly wasn't. If he's saving that, then it's miraculous, as many of his saves has been. Perhaps our expectations of him are so high that we're expecting him to save everything.

He's improved at coming off his line, which was one of the weakest parts of his game. His starting position and his alertness to danger were on point today. And his passing and clearances were all superb, even when pressed.

Recently we had a stat (which appeared to be used as criticism) that said we go back to the keeper more than anyone. But if your goalkeeper is such a great distributor of the ball and comfortable being involved in the buildup from the back, then why wouldn't you utilise that?

We've had some bizarre criticism this year. De Gea making too many saves, and now De Gea making too many passes. Next it will be Mata scoring too many goals. Too reliant on Herrera making passes. Alternative league table if all teams had no Spaniards etc.

ZDwyr

Wasn't great for their goal but considering what he has done I think it can slide. How good was his distribution though?

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm hoping the reason behind the delay on his contract is to wait and see if we get in the top four.

LR7

He plays with such a swagger and authority these days. It's amazing how much he has grown in terms of stature. He is so calm and confident. Knows when to hold onto the ball to take the sting out of the game for a bit when Liverpool were having one of their rare better moments. He calmed things down. At one point, under pressure he looked like he was making a rushed clearance but it was actually a precise accurate pass to Fellaini's feet. It's impossible to ruffle his feathers atm.

People were criticising him earlier in the season for not being quick enough off his line but yesterday he did it perfectly 4 or 5 times. He was always there to snuff out any danger.

I'm still hopeful of that contract although I do wonder what he is waiting for.

ottosec

His shirt it's the 4th most sold shirt this season! :eek: When was the last time a GK was in top 10 or anywhere close?

Redo91

His shirt it's the 4th most sold shirt this season! :eek: When was the last time a GK was in top 10 or anywhere close?

I'd never bothered getting a goalkeeper jersey before but last season I got the green goalkeeper jersey with his name on the back. He's my favourite current United player by some distance. I'm still surprised to see him ahead of the likes of Falcao and Rooney though.

ChrisG11

I'd never bothered getting a goalkeeper jersey before but last season I got the green goalkeeper jersey with his name on the back. He's my favourite current United player by some distance. I'm still surprised to see him ahead of the likes of Falcao and Rooney though.
Why? Rooney is the most iconic player at the club and Falcao was a former world class striker who may not (probably not now) have another season with us. Love how 5 of the top 10 are United players though, prestige.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas

That's as good a reason as any to pay him whatever he wants. Those sales will rise even higher if he signs a new contract.

ottosec

That's as good a reason as any to pay him whatever he wants. Those sales will rise even higher if he signs a new contract.
He will no doubt sell even more next season, with the Adidas GK kits being generally more "wearable"(is that even a word?) than the Nike ones. Also, if we don't sign some Adidas superstar before the new kit will be announced he will almost certainly be the one to take Rooney's place as the clubs poster boy.

Redo91

Why? Rooney is the most iconic player at the club and Falcao was a former world class striker who may not (probably not now) have another season with us. Love how 5 of the top 10 are United players though, prestige.
Isn't that more reason to get his name on the back of your jersey? It's only really become apparent since Christmas that Falcao is unlikely to stay. I would have thought before then that plenty of jerseys would be sold with his name on them. Even now you constantly hear his name being sung at games so he is still really popular with the fans.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't that more reason to get his name on the back of your jersey? It's only really become apparent since Christmas that Falcao is unlikely to stay. I would have thought before then that plenty of jerseys would be sold with his name on them. Even now you constantly hear his name being sung at games so he is still really popular with the fans.
The song is more popular than the player, IMHO.

ChrisG11

That's exactly what it is, I misread your post haha.

Zoo

“Truth be told, English football has changed me a great deal. I’ve developed a lot physically, greatly improved my concentration and generally improved all aspects of my game. I was very young when I came here, but four years on, things are very good overall. This league really suits me, as you learn a lot here,” said the 6’4 custodian.

Today, Louis Van Gaal is at the United helm and the veteran Dutchman shares his predecessors’ faith in De Gea, who for company at Old Trafford has one of the keepers who was selected ahead of him for Spain in 2010 and 2012.

“Victor Valdes and I work very well together – I’m very happy to be with him. I’m learning so much from him, not just in goalkeeping terms given his immense experience, but also as a person. He’s a very straightforward guy with a lot of character. Moreover, he’s always ready to lend a hand, trying to help out with his advice, especially during games,” said De Gea graciously.

After a somewhat shaky start to the 2014/15 campaign, the Red Devils turned things around and now have a clear goal for the season. “We have to qualify for the Champions League no matter what. We already missed out last season, and a team like Manchester United cannot do that two years in a row."
http://m.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/258/078/6/index.html

VanGaalEra

^^^
Said this about him end of August and i'll say it again.

The guy, for a 'supposedly' top goalkeeper, one of the best in the world (a few people say on here).

He never makes a save, it's like every shot the opposition have *bang* goal, even if its 25 yards out - When the Leicester player was clean through, you just knew it was going to be a goal, he doesn't get you out of messes.
Going through this thread, I had to laugh at this :lol:

A lot of people were very critical of him early in the season when a lot of goals were flying past him.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
hopefully he concedes 4 or 5 soft goals tonight an accidentally wees on a real madrid flag.

Sam

His ability to catch the ball, rather then palm it away, is quite something. See his first save tonight...Most, even top keepers, would be pushing that away.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Going through this thread, I had to laugh at this :lol:

A lot of people were very critical of him early in the season when a lot of goals were flying past him.
Did you expect people to praise him when he wasn't playing very well?

VanGaalEra

Did you expect people to praise him when he wasn't playing very well?
People were criticising him for not saving pens, for not stopping shots in the top corner and wanted him dropped.

You need to read back the thread, mate. Was a fecking joke.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
People were criticising him for not saving pens, for not stopping shots in the top corner and wanted him dropped.

You need to read back the thread, mate. Was a fecking joke.
That sort of criticism is unfair, fair enough if you are talking about that.

ZDwyr

Is he 6'4? That surprises me. He doesn't look that tall but maybe my perception is skewed for some reason.

HabeasC

His ability to catch the ball, rather then palm it away, is quite something. See his first save tonight...Most, even top keepers, would be pushing that away.

Considering the shooter and the keeper, this might as well be a United training session video 2015-16