View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

MoneyMay

In recent weeks he has conceded goals that he wouldn't have earlier in the season. He's decision making has been half hearted at times as well recently.
This simply isn't true. He was making the same mistakes earlier on in the season.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
The body language experts are out in full force again it seems. I do think he was poor, but its ridiculous to say he played poor because he's off to Madrid or vice versa, when in fact we don't know anything about the situation.

Kag

Again, thanks boss.
Sound. What I find particularly stupid is that his effort is half-hearted. The implication that as De Gea stands between the sticks, and players like Daniel Sturridge and Kevin Mirallas are bearing down on his goal, he isn't fully intent on saving their shots; instead semi-focused on his potential new life in Madrid. It's a rather impressive mental achievement considering the build up to a shot on goal takes no more than ten seconds of time.

Of course, we could be rational and just accept that he's let in a couple soft goals because that is what goalkeepers tend to do from time to time. Or maybe I'm off my rocker.

MoneyMay

The body language experts are out in full force again it seems. I do think he was poor, but its ridiculous to say he played poor because he's off to Madrid or vice versa, when in fact we don't know anything about the situation.
Half-hearted:

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah it seems like he's gone back to the form right at the start where you can't blame him directly but it's not taking much to beat him.
Agree with this.

Although I think the Liverpool goal was poor from him and he was definitely at fault for the Villa goal a few weeks ago.

LR7

It's not unfathomable that the whole saga could be affecting his form. It's quite close to decision making time and LvG put the heat on him in the last press conference by making everyone aware that he's been offered a lot of money and now it's up to him.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I didn't understand why he did come out on 2 occasions. McNair was right to be upset on the last one. Things like these undermine confidence between the defense and keeper.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he struggled with the sun today as he seemed even more nervous with his kicking too, not like him. He did have that eye problem a while ago so maybe he can't see that well, I know Smalling was having to use his hand to block the sun out while trying to win the headers.

nemanja15

You can't blame him for the first or second. If he stops McCarthy's shot in particular, everyone eulogises over what a great save it was. It speaks volumes about his level this season that people on here are giving him a hard time for it. Stones's he couldn't have done anything about.

But as a keeper myself, his positioning for the third was poor. He should have narrowed the angle down quicker and if he's going to show Mirallas a side of the goal, it should be across him, not towards the near post where the ball ended up.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's shit, couldn't made two one on one saves and also conceded from a perfect header. Clearly his head isn't here.

Dave89

Since the caf has decreed he's shit I'm suddenly a lot happier about losing him this summer.

Wise up.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's got to be very difficult playing with different defenders in front of him on so many occasions. That has to impact his decision making (when it comes to charging out or not).

Revan

Assumptionman
It's got to be very difficult playing with different defenders in front of him on so many occasions. That has to impact his decision making (when it comes to charging out or not).
There was nothing wrong on his decision making today. He probably would have made a save (on first or third goal) but you can't expect a keeper to compensate for an awful defense every match. Even on third goal it wasn't a bad defending, he had to ade the save but also not be very far from the other post where Lukaku was going.

It is knee-jerkism at its best on the Caf.

Revan

Assumptionman
Back to the every decent shot from close range is goal form, heads in Madrid I guess. Could have done better for Sturridge, Hazard, Mirallas goals, with his form.earlier in the season, he'd even have Mccarthy's one.
All he needed after all, was some superhuman ability to save all those shots. Or some competent defenders.

kps88

The usual debate when trying to analyse a GK's form. It's either "every shot is going in" or "how can you expect him to stop perfect finishes?".

I think his form has definitely dropped. But that was to be expected considering his level earlier in the season was ridiculously high; you can't expect him to make match winning saves every week when he's only 24 with an uncertain summer ahead of him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not neccesary saying he should have stopped those, but he looked beaten before the ball was even hit. He didnt need superhumam ability, he stopped these earlier in the season.
He also conceded similar goals earlier in this season. You can't expect him to make one on one saves every time our defenders have brainfarts (which usually happens each match). He might have saved them, but you need a certain amount of luck to save those.

He was saving everything on some point of the season, but that wasn't going to last forever. No keeper can make perfect saves for his entire career.

I really don't see the point of blaming a keeper for not saving one on ones. The defense has to be blamed for failing two times against the mighty Everton (and once getting beaten from a corner, but those things happen).

Sam

His attempt to 'save' the Mirallies goal was pretty pathetic. I mean, it wouldn't have changed much anyway, but he just stood there with the whole right side of the goal to pass it into. He didn't get 'done with the eyes', he just gave Mirrales an open net.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Now that caf doesn't like him as a person we can all say he is shit GK too.

No, seriously, his positioning for Mirallas' goal was really poor for his standards, I don't think he should save it but he definitely left him too much space which made it an easy finish. The replay from behind the goal showed it really well.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Going a goal down in a must-win game at the business end of the season? At best, it's an unusual response.
Not that unusual if his thought was something "Shit we've had all this possesion and these buggers have scored a jammy goal". I doubt his smile had any glee involved.

FlawlessThaw

Don't think he was gleeful at all. He's obviously not fecking pleased they scored! Just think he didn't look particularly bothered.
If he wasn't particularly bothered, I'd imagine there would be no reaction at all. I can definitely see an argument that his head has dropped and he's become distracted with the contract negotiations/Madrid link of late but don't think his reaction to the West Brom goal has anything to do with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If he wasn't particularly bothered, I'd imagine there would be no reaction at all. I can definitely see an argument that his head has dropped and he's become distracted with the contract negotiations/Madrid link of late but don't think his reaction to the West Brom goal has anything to do with it.
I dunno. I probably am reading too much into it. Was the sort of reaction you see in a game of park football, with nothing at stake. Which jarred somewhat. Can you imagine Shmikes reacting like that in the same situation?

FlawlessThaw

I dunno. I probably am reading too much into it. Was the sort of reaction you see in a game of park football, with nothing at stake. Which jarred somewhat. Can you imagine Shmikes reacting like that in the same situation?
I couldn't see Schmeichel having that reaction but I could see Van Der Sar, like I said it was a sarcastic smile. Seriously not even sure it's worth discussing further as it's a player smiling after facing a bit of bad luck. Some people laugh at bad news, maybe De Gea is one of those people.

Acole9

Outstanding
He hasn't been right in the last few weeks, his head has most certainly been turned by the speculation.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
I can't believe he was actually smiling when picking the goal out of the net.