View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OneUnited24

Well there is an opposite side to that which is that it's really hard for him to take over the Spain role unless he goes to Madrid. DDG has been sensational for more than 2 years now and yet still Spain keep picking Iker over him so playing at United isn't really helping him on that front
If anything that just shows the presence of Iker in the Spanish dressing room too. Right now DDG is forcing his way into Del Bosque's thinking by performing brilliantly week in week out, i'm not sure it would be the same if hes playing every other week for a game here and there.

SATA

Does he really want to leave? He was grinning and looking happy enough yesterday after the win, and exchanged congratulations especially with his two Spanish mates

Treble

Does he really want to leave? He was grinning and looking happy enough yesterday after the win, and exchanged congratulations especially with his two Spanish mates
Clutching at straws? Why would a professional not be happy after a top performance and a win? IMO, he does not want to leave United, maybe he just prefers to play for Madrid.

ZDwyr

Why does being in Madrid matter for the Spanish #1 spot? It's ridiculous that DDG can't be Spain's number one unless he plays for Real or Barca. His form is significantly better than any other Spanish 'keeper.

prarek

Why does being in Madrid matter for the Spanish #1 spot? It's ridiculous that DDG can't be Spain's number one unless he plays for Real or Barca. His form is significantly better than any other Spanish 'keeper.
Don't think it matters really these days. So many spanish players and internationals play outside of Spain.

Us - DDG, Mata, Herrera
Chelsea - Azpilicueta, Fabregas, Costa
Bayern - Alonso, Bernat, Alcantarra, Martinez
Arsenal - Cazorla, Monreal, Arteta, Bellerin
Juventus - Moratta, Llorente
City - Silva, Navas

Actually it seems like every top team in Europe has a Spaniard.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thing is if DDG goes this summer would he get a starting place at Real? Iker is a big presence in the Madrid dressing room and you feel DDG would be a cup keeper playing understudy to him in the league. I see it that way unless Iker leaves - Would DDG risk a place at the Euros in 2016 when he knows he'd be a starter here?
If he goes to Madrid, then Iker will be exiled. De Gea won't be a cup keeper there, but will immediately start and likely become the Spanish No.1 keeper too.

OneUnited24

If he goes to Madrid, then Iker will be exiled. De Gea won't be a cup keeper there, but will immediately start and likely become the Spanish No.1 keeper too.
Matter of opinion but i just dont see Iker being exiled, the closest anyone came was Jose who was sacked shortly after. Ancelotti continued it last season, only used him in cup games, and was absolutely battered by their press and directors. To the point where this season hes had to start him every game.

ottosec

He was fantastic last year too, but this year he improved a lot. Under Moyes' team he improved his strength and his cross catching ability, but this year he's taken all parts of his game to another level, his GK technique and positioning is world class, I don't think he would have made yesterday's save last year.

I think a lot of credit goes to Hoek and the other coaches for his fantastic improvements, at this time he is as good as anyone out there and he's only 24, if he keeps this up he will go down as one of the best GK ever.

Also he is the player that made the difference this year, take him out of the team and I don't think we would finish in the top 4. Look at his save yesterday, it's not much about the 3 points, but about the situation, without it we would almost certainly lose our 4th in a row, the effect on our team's morale would have been disastrous.

He's our best and our most important player and nobody even comes close, it's a shame that he will most likely leave in the summer. Will be gutted when that happens.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It's something that shouldn't matter, and based on their performances this season de Gea should have been a starter for the international games earlier this year but del Bosque is a dinosaur.

Revan

Assumptionman
Matter of opinion but i just dont see Iker being exiled, the closest anyone came was Jose who was sacked shortly after. Ancelotti continued it last season, only used him in cup games, and was absolutely battered by their press and directors. To the point where this season hes had to start him every game.
Well, it is something else replacaing him with Diego Lopez, and something else with the best Spanish keeper and likely second best keeper in the world. If De Gea goes, I think it is almost certain that Casillas will leave. Keeping him in the bench will just make the atmosphere in the dressing room very poisoned.

Loublaze

ATLien
Don't think it matters really these days. So many spanish players and internationals play outside of Spain.

Us - DDG, Mata, Herrera
Chelsea - Azpilicueta, Fabregas, Costa
Bayern - Alonso, Bernat, Alcantarra, Martinez
Arsenal - Cazorla, Monreal, Arteta, Bellerin
Juventus - Moratta, Llorente
City - Silva, Navas

Actually it seems like every top team in Europe has a Spaniard.
@ZDwyr is specifically talking about the GK position for the Spanish NT which is monopolized by Barca and Real

SqueakyWeasel

This is getting silly now!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...490&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'm sure it can be easily explained as just a few days off to visit his bird who's based there but he really needs to do something to dispel the rumours.

He's been offered a ton of cash and if his heart is not set at United then he should just do us all a favour and go!

As brilliant as he is (and don't get me wrong I'd love it if he stayed, even for big cash) there is no point keeping someone who simply does not want to be here or is using our facilities and name to help drive his price up as he runs his contract down.

Have some fecking balls and tell us what YOU want David!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes not waving bye like Falcao did...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He just wanted to get a good leaving reception before all the subs were used, another thing Gerrard didn't get. De gea 1 Gerrard 0

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Any word on how long he's out for?

If it's more than a week - and he leaves, he's played his last game for us.

:( Come on Dave, you won't be as loved anywhere else as you are here.

ricky-romeo

at least he wasn't waving like falcao did. imagine him waving. that would be madrid full stop.

maybe a slim chance of him staying? hope so..although 9/10 of me saying he is leaving..:(

ZDwyr

at least he wasn't waving like falcao did. imagine him waving. that would be madrid full stop.

maybe a slim chance of him staying? hope so..although 9/10 of me saying he is leaving..:(
Wasn't there someone on MUTV saying he went and waved to each side of the stadium or something though? :(

ricky-romeo

Bale + Varane :P

Although it'll be even humiliating if Varane snubbed us
haha.

Gaz thinks we should ask for bale as part of the deal. if we are unable to stop de gea leaving, then i kind of agree with him.

just like back in 2009 when we sold ronaldo. could have easily asked for robben or sneijder back then...

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

I keep telling myself we'll get over it, that better defending will mean we won't miss him as much. But then I watch this and think...how many times have his saves inspired the rest of the team? He's been so good, in so many ways, and so consistent - truly deserving of his accolades.

Fully Fledged

This is getting silly now!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...490&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'm sure it can be easily explained as just a few days off to visit his bird who's based there but he really needs to do something to dispel the rumours.

He's been offered a ton of cash and if his heart is not set at United then he should just do us all a favour and go!

As brilliant as he is (and don't get me wrong I'd love it if he stayed, even for big cash) there is no point keeping someone who simply does not want to be here or is using our facilities and name to help drive his price up as he runs his contract down.

Have some fecking balls and tell us what YOU want David!
That report is 12 days old. He couldn't have been gone for long as he played for us last Sunday.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

I keep telling myself we'll get over it, that better defending will mean we won't miss him as much. But then I watch this and think...how many times have his saves inspired the rest of the team? He's been so good, in so many ways, and so consistent - truly deserving of his accolades.
Some of those slow motion clips they show, its like everything is moving in slow-mo except De Gea. Insane reactions.

OldTrevil

I keep telling myself that he's staying. Even if he does go, we'll be alright. I don't think LVG will start the season without a very solid keeper.

United22

This is absolutely ridiculous. He is just too good and it hurts so much to know that he will leave. Our only true world class player right now...

surf

Real Madrid play a wide open game and will always have a lot of goal attempts against them. Today Casillas let in 3. De Gea would easily have made the difference in them winning the league and he would have saved Morata's equaliser. They would be nuts to not pursue him.