Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Casillas wasn't great with the ball at his feet so I don't know how DDG is such a big comedown from that.

Oggmonster

What the feck...:lol:...apples and samsungs
I said it's a mistake is a mistake, not ranking which 1 is bad or worse or whatever. A mistake that costs a goal is am istake it's the problem being a keeper, Hart had a shocker for the goal today but so did de Gea, it was a simple shot and he fecked it up, seriously people need to get over it.

Of course you can "grade" mistakes. De Gea's today was a fairly minor one, akin to a bad touch. He spilled the ball, it lead to a goal. He should have done better, but just like with bad touches, it happens.

Hart's was a howler of massive proportions. He was dumb enough to set up a wall to defend a free-kick at 40 yards, effectively blocking his view of the ball and making his own job much harder. Extremely poor decision making, and way worse than spilling the ball trying to save a shot at goal.

That said, De Gea made a mistake and it lead to a goal. Criticizing him for making that mistake is fair.
My point was more stuff like "howler" is just a generic comment. I don't get how de Gea's is a "minor" mistake, the reality is it cost his team a goal, surely that's a big mistake. Can you explain how it's not? Gerrard slipping over for example could be seen as a minor mistake as well surely? Danny Rose fell over about 3 times today but nothing came of it. So what makes Gerrard's a masive mistake and Danny Rose's feck all? The fact one cost his team a league and the other meant nothing. My point being surely a mistake that costs a team a goal is a big mistake.

Manchester United fans defend a Manchester United player. They don't defend a Manchester City player, nor a Bayern Munich one. Not that odd to me.
Not my point really, I don't expect people to be praising Hart for example I just find it odd that people get so defensive when people rightfully say a keeper made a mistake.

RedFish

TBH, as great a keeper he no doubt is, I felt he should have done better with Italy's first goal. No qualms with the result though, Italy were absolute class and having watched enviously at Serie A during the 90's I still harbour a massive respect for the way they play their football.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's had an unusual amount of errors during the tournament, but also some world class saves. In order to be the best in the world, he needs to become more consistent with Spain as well. It was his first big tournament as the starter, nerves most likely played a role no matter what.
With that being said, I also thought the defending on Ramos and Pique was unusually poor. They're both prone to a blender or two, no doubt about it, but they were caught out of position too many times in my opinion. Add to it that Spain just lacked dangerous players in the final third and you'll have your reason for their early exit. Not to mention that Italy is playing decent football as well.

Hellboy

DDG's biggest mistake was that he was supposed to be start the tiki taka passing from the back. Instead he constantly kicked the ball long leading to be verbally chastised by Iniesta in the first half. This was one of the reasons why Spain could not get their passing game going.

As for the goal, the way the wall was placed to cover half the goal is a new tactic being used by defensive and goalkeeping coaches to ensure that GKs have their line of sight clear and to minimise deflected goals. However when you give the free kick taker half a goal to aim at chances of him hitting the target are a100% and if he swerves the ball within the 6 yard box inward towards then the goalkeeper then the goalkeeper makes a save with the body and the ball ricochets into the middle of the penalty box. A more conventional placement of the wall would have stopped the goal. DDG made the save with his forearms and not with his fist which would have enabled him to push the ball towards the sidelines.
Surely he follows instructions.

Don't know about the Spanish press but he was MoTM for Spain today by a country mile for various sports websites in France, and if not for him they would have been humiliated. The only things he lacks are communication and leadership skills a la Van der Sar, otherwise we all know he's at least in the top 3 goalies in the world.

beergod

this is what happens when the manager waits until the eve of a major tournament to finally hand the job over to him instead of at the beginning of qualifying.

ti vu

Surely he follows instructions.

Don't know about the Spanish press but he was MoTM for Spain today by a country mile for various sports websites in France, and if not for him they would have been humiliated. The only things he lacks are communication and leadership skills a la Van der Sar, otherwise we all know he's at least in the top 3 goalies in the world.
I agreed with the poster you quoted. So it's not just communication, commanding/leadership. It's also the limitation in DDG distribution, which many people didn't understand when hearing LVG and his goalkeeping coaching staff criticized DDG's distribution occasionally, even though DDG provided savior's GK performance!

With United, LVG had to compromise and let DDG used more long ball, hence the regular inclusion of someone like Fellaini in midfield, due to several factors: DDG's distribution is not at the required level yet, Smalling's terrible on ball ability, PL tactical indisciplined nature that can be exploited with long ball,... However, with Spain, they don't have a tower upfield to compete for long ball so they depend on passing out from the back all time. This passing out from the back is vital for their play as it help them to regain composure in games where they were pressed out of game upfield. They have ball playing CBs, FBs, midfielders, so no excuse of not able to passing out from the back. DDG's distribution is not up there yet and Italy noticed and played a perfect tactic and successfully disrupted Spain passing game rhythm.

DDG's distribution is not bad for the level, style of PL teams. He is arguably among the very best. It just happens that the level demanded by Spain NT is much higher and DDG is not there. Perhaps, this EURO is a blessing in disguise for us. Real Madrid may find themselves happy with Navas and never comes back for DDG this way. LVG and his staffs really rated Navas who has better distribution that fits their style better.

If DDG improves his distribution further quickly, then it's a bonus. However, it's not a pressing priority for him here with us. With Mourinho, he would be more protected, so he first needs to adapt to Mourinno style first, then improve his commanding skill. Then keep pressing on improving dominating in the box and get more comfortable in the air.

Last edited:

Litch

Some of the stuff I've read on here is an absolute joke. Sometimes you need players around you to finish what couldn't fully complete. He couldn't turn the free kick round the post, was too close to his body and hit too hard to catch. Where was the Spanish defenders to react? The shot going to the top corner was just outstanding....

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Some of the stuff I've read on here is an absolute joke. Sometimes you need players around you to finish what couldn't fully complete. He couldn't turn the free kick round the post, was too close to his body and hit too hard to catch. Where was the Spanish defenders to react? The shot going to the top corner was just outstanding....
Exactly the thing I said to one of my friends who was blaming DDG solely for the goal

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And now DDG's distribution is being questioned? What the actual feck!!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agreed with the poster you quoted. So it's not just communication, commanding/leadership. It's also the limitation in DDG distribution, which many people didn't understand when hearing LVG and his goalkeeping coaching staff criticized DDG's distribution occasionally, even though DDG provided savior's GK performance!

With United, LVG had to compromise and let DDG used more long ball, hence the regular inclusion of someone like Fellaini in midfield, due to several factors: DDG's distribution is not at the required level yet, Smalling's terrible on ball ability, PL tactical indisciplined nature that can be exploited with long ball,... However, with Spain, they don't have a tower upfield to compete for long ball so they depend on passing out from the back all time. This passing out from the back is vital for their play as it help them to regain composure in games where they were pressed out of game upfield. They have ball playing CBs, FBs, midfielders, so no excuse of not able to passing out from the back. DDG's distribution is not up there yet and Italy noticed and played a perfect tactic and successfully disrupted Spain passing game rhythm.

DDG's distribution is not bad for the level, style of PL teams. He is arguably among the very best. It just happens that the level demanded by Spain NT is much higher and DDG is not there. Perhaps, this EURO is a blessing in disguise for us. Real Madrid may find themselves happy with Navas and never comes back for DDG this way. LVG and his staffs really rated Navas who has better distribution that fits their style better.

If DDG improves his distribution further quickly, then it's a bonus. However, it's not a pressing priority for him here with us. With Mourinho, he would be more protected, so he first needs to adapt to Mourinno style first, then improve his commanding skill. Then keep pressing on improving dominating in the box and get more comfortable in the air.
I'm sorry but De Gea is one of the best ball playing goal keepers I've seen and his distribution is amazing. Simply put the Italian system yesterday had 2 strikers up top which allowed them to press the Spanish defence thus preventing quick passes back to the defence. That was a deliberate tactical move from conte and it was fairly obvious that it worked. De Gea had many occasions where he had no choice but to pump the ball long in search of morata an while his passing was pin point morata got bullied all day by the Italians. He is better on the ball than navas tho but I hope Madrid think like you.

prath92

His distribution isn't bad at all and it's not like Casillas was the Xavi of keepers or something.

ti vu

His distribution isn't bad at all and it's not like Casillas was the Xavi of keepers or something.
I'm sorry but De Gea is one of the best ball playing goal keepers I've seen and his distribution is amazing. Simply put the Italian system yesterday had 2 strikers up top which allowed them to press the Spanish defence thus preventing quick passes back to the defence. That was a deliberate tactical move from conte and it was fairly obvious that it worked. De Gea had many occasions where he had no choice but to pump the ball long in search of morata an while his passing was pin point morata got bullied all day by the Italians. He is better on the ball than navas tho but I hope Madrid think like you.
@TrustInJanuzai There were times in the yesterday game, DDG ignored short pass options. Not saying DDG boots long ball unreasonably every time. Could have done better. The vs argument is pretty much matter of opinion though.

@prath92 No one says DDG distribution is "bad". Spain midfield was stronger with Xavi, Alonso and Iniesta at their peak along with Busquet, so they were better pushing team back. Casillas did well in that circumstances before declining and be a joke. Casillas command and communicate better/ more vocal that helped him in asking for help from his teammate LOL.

Honestly, why the need to bring up comparison with Casillas? It's not like I was asking for Casillas to be in goal? I was constructively discussing about this game, this current Spain where, if DDG can up his distribution to Bravo's level (IMO the top ball playing keeper at the moment), DDG can help to change the game! I am not saying other Spain outfield players were flawless neither. I could care less about those. Here I am caring about our player and see things he can improve. This is not blaming. Did I ever mention the goals? (See the whole point in my last post):angel:

Last edited:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I blame Del Bosque.

He just couldn't make up his mind about who's no 1 for Spain when it's been perfectly clear for everybody else for 3 years that De Gea is Spain's best GK.
No wonder De Gea might feel nervous during games about losing his place when in reality him and Iniesta should be the first names on the team sheet.

At United he knows he's God and plays accordingly.

Shouldn't VDB resign now after stinking up two tournaments? 68 is he?

ti vu

I blame Del Bosque.

He just couldn't make up his mind about who's no 1 for Spain when it's been perfectly clear for everybody else for 3 years that De Gea is Spain's best GK.
No wonder De Gea might feel nervous during games about losing his place when in reality him and Iniesta should be the first names on the team sheet.

At United he knows he's God and plays accordingly.

Shouldn't VDB resign now after stinking up two tournaments? 68 is he?
Agree. Chemistry and understanding needs time. Del Bosque was too conservative and it hindered Spain and DDG's international career. He needs to be gone so Spain can get new ideas.

(Continued with DDG distribution idea) As they will have DDG from now on and can't suddenly expect his distribution and understanding with his teammates drastically improve overnight, they will need to figure out a different game plan in case other teams deploy the similar tactic to Italy's, to disrupt passing game being played out from the back. Get more physical upfield to compete for long ball, or different midfield parts in hope to bring back the level of peak Xavi, Alonso Iniesta Busquet, or....?

Del Bosque is out of magic as teams have caught up with his tactics.

Last edited:

Halftrack

My point was more stuff like "howler" is just a generic comment. I don't get how de Gea's is a "minor" mistake, the reality is it cost his team a goal, surely that's a big mistake. Can you explain how it's not? Gerrard slipping over for example could be seen as a minor mistake as well surely? Danny Rose fell over about 3 times today but nothing came of it. So what makes Gerrard's a masive mistake and Danny Rose's feck all? The fact one cost his team a league and the other meant nothing. My point being surely a mistake that costs a team a goal is a big mistake.
While the consequences are the same, the nature of the mistakes say a lot. De Gea got to the ball, but it took a bad deflection back towards the middle of the box. I agree that it's a mistake, but it's a fairly minor one. A bad touch, or a miscalculation. It's something that's likely to happen to the best on occasion.

Hart's mistake was a conscious decision. He set up a wall to defend a free-kick from close to 40 yards, hindering his view and putting himself at a massive disadvantage. Then he stood around, looking at his creation, and was apparently fine with its existence. That takes some doing. Most GKs will tell you that you don't set up a wall at those distances, because you're better off just standing in the middle of the goal with clear view of the ball. It was a schoolboy level mistake from Hart, and not one top keepers should be making. Then again, Hart isn't a top keeper.

And you can't just go, "well, this guy slipped, guess that makes him as bad as Gerrard." Gerrard's mistake wasn't the slip itself, but the fact that he let the ball across him the way he did, as the last man, when Demba Ba was standing a just a few yards away. The slip came as a result of that mistake. Even if he hadn't slipped, there's still a good chance Ba would have gotten to the ball first.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Adam Crafton, who is quite close to Dave's folks says De gea now sees his long term future here and hopes to be club captain.
What a remarkable turnaround from a player that was just minutes away from leaving.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Adam Crafton, who is quite close to Dave's folks says De gea now sees his long term future here and hopes to be club captain.
What a remarkable turnaround from a player that was just minutes away from leaving.
I'd consider him as captain once Rooney isn't it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.