Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not his fault for the goal. Made some excellent saves to keep the score down.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Not blaming him at all. He shifts his weight just as the ball is struck which is unfortunate rather than poor.

Sylar

That Cahill save was even better on the replay. It showed the strength of his hand (as well as his reflexes). Was something else.

Not sure how he can be blamed for their goal though. Pogba (and even Rojo) have to do much more to stop the shot and / or stop it from entering our box.

Walters_19_MuFc

Under Van Gaal, De Gea used to save us week in week out. Due to our recent dominance, we haven't always had to rely on him, but he made two world class saves today, and kept us in it at the time.

Thing is, because he saved those, I was expecting to save Kante's, but it weren't to be.

Solid game, though.

criticalanalysis

Should have saved it but then Rojo should have covered that area really. You can't really expect your defende, who be should be blocking/covering the middle of the goal to sort of step aside.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
Hate to say it but he is having a bad season by his standards. Watching Schmeichel last night, pretty much winning Leicester the game reminded me of De Gea in his last couple of seasons. Can't remember a game this season he has won for us in that fashion. He should have saved Chelsea's goal too and i'm pretty confident last season he would have.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He hasn't had to win games for us this like he has in previous years. That's not a bad thing. His distribution doesn't seem as good as it usually is, but otherwise he's been very good.

Less chances to show off his incredible shot stopping ability is down to the team being more solid.

He was partly at fault for the goal. Not being 'set' as a keeper isn't unfortunate, it's bad judgement. He probably wasn't expecting the shot from there from Kante, and the way Kante's body shape was didn't look like a shot was coming, but as a keeper it's his job to always anticipate.

He's still been very good this season, made 2 amazing saves in the game on Monday and he is no problem at all in this team right now. He's quality.

RedDevil-85

We would have lost 3-0 if it wasnt for De Gea.
Blaming him for the goal is silly,he cant save everything and it was a great shot from Kante.

Blame Pogba who is too slow to close down Kante.
In the final vs Southampton,Pogba did the same mistake,failing to close down his player which led to a chance.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was partly at fault for the goal. Not being 'set' as a keeper isn't unfortunate, it's bad judgement. He probably wasn't expecting the shot from there from Kante, and the way Kante's body shape was didn't look like a shot was coming, but as a keeper it's his job to always anticipate.
A few posts back in the thread I said De Gea was unfortunate rather than poor, but having read your comment and rewatched the goal I think De Gea was a little slow to react. Pogba should do better but De Gea could have reacted quicker and got himself set.

That being said from the below angle it looks like a combination of poor closing down by Pogba and Rojo being slightly out of position having been dragged across to Smalling's man gave Kante a huge amount of the goal to De Gea's left to aim at, which could explain why De Gea was moving that way.

Fracture90

Amazes me how people don't understand goalkeeping errors. Look at the replay before the shot is made and you will see that despite Konte making a run up to take that shot De Gea is not ready, he is simply standing whereas his knees should be bent and ready for a shot. Since he is hopping across the goal and not prepared for a jump he was always going to concede as he was wrong footed.
He did however make two unstable shots so I forgive him for this.
Pogba falling to close down Kante and Kante himself not being known for his shooting prowess played it's part.

Mindhunter

Agree with the general assertion that De Gea hasn't had the opportunities to showcase match saving saves on a regular basis because of us being solid as a unit.

Last 2 years were an aberration actually. For a top team, a keeper needs to contribute to other phases of play because a top team will more often than not dominate the game. Also, the keeper's concentration has to be top notch so that he can save those one or two shots that he faces during the match which would define the game.

Facing many shots on goals is (in my opinion) easier because you are always expecting a shot and the pressure is low because the team as a whole isn't playing well.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Wait, didn't he make one of the best saves all season in the last game too? The quick dive to his side with a solid hand. Was that the last one?

The guy is still our best and most consistent player.

Shuriken

He's still been very good this season, made 2 amazing saves in the game on Monday and he is no problem at all in this team right now. He's quality.
I agree that he wasn't set. Setting aside the fact that Pogba didn't close Kante down, which lead to shot to begin with, when De Gea was called upon in this sequence, he did fail. Not taking anything away from Kante's strike, but I do think that De Gea is one of the best two or three goalkeepers in the world, so I was a bit surprised to see that one go in.

But not for those exact reasons you've stated. I wouldn't call it bad judgement, nor would I call it a lack of anticipation, since he anticipated the shot and actually was expecting it, but chose the wrong method in doing so:

De Gea's mistake was what goalkeepers sometimes do unwisely nowadays. I'm talking about the small itty witty vertical jumps/leaps/dashes whilst following the ball sideways. If you're airborne whilst the shot is off, you've already lost precious time in getting there to save it, especially if you've been moving in the opposite direction – which is exactly what happened on that goal. Clearly evident in the replays showing the goal from the cameras mounted in the goal, behind the goalkeepers.

Stop jumping around and keep your feet grounded for a push-off instead, so that when the shot does get released, you're giving yourself the best chance of reaching it. Considering his insane reflexes we've all come to expect from him, which we witnessed yet again previously in this very same match, there is no doubt in my mind that he would've saved that one if not for those tippy-toe-jumps whilst the shot was fired.

Pundits have highlighted these type of goalkeeper jumps in the past, they don't understand it, neither do I.

Reactions: Invictus

nemanja15

I agree that he wasn't set. Setting aside the fact that Pogba didn't close Kante down, which lead to shot to begin with, when De Gea was called upon in this sequence, he did fail. Not taking anything away from Kante's strike, but I do think that De Gea is one of the best two or three goalkeepers in the world, so I was a bit surprised to see that one go in.

But not for those exact reasons you've stated. I wouldn't call it bad judgement, nor would I call it a lack of anticipation, since he anticipated the shot and actually was expecting it, but chose the wrong method in doing so:

De Gea's mistake was what goalkeepers sometimes do unwisely nowadays. I'm talking about the small itty witty vertical jumps/leaps/dashes whilst following the ball sideways. If you're airborne whilst the shot is off, you've already lost precious time in getting there to save it, especially if you've been moving in the opposite direction – which is exactly what happened on that goal. Clearly evident in the replays showing the goal from the cameras mounted in the goal, behind the goalkeepers.

Stop jumping around and keep your feet grounded for a push-off instead, so that when the shot does get released, you're giving yourself the best chance of reaching it. Considering his insane reflexes we've all come to expect from him, which we witnessed yet again previously in this very same match, there is no doubt in my mind that he would've saved that one if not for those tippy-toe-jumps whilst the shot was fired.

Pundits have highlighted these type of goalkeeper jumps in the past, they don't understand it, neither do I.
My basic understanding is it's thought the mini-spring before main change of direction/save the allows the muscles to exert greater force during the ensuing ballistic movement, and thus cover more ground and reach further. Tennis players do it too as they receive serve; Andy Murray is a great example.

Last edited:

SATA

Thought he should have really save the Kante's shot for a goalkeeper of his standards from that distance, or maybe i was just talking bull

Shuriken

My basic understanding is it's thought the mini-spring before main change of direction/save the allows the muscles to exert greater force during the ensuing ballistic movement, and thus cover more ground and reach further. Tennis players do it too as they receive serve; Andy Murray is a great example.
Not trying to be arrogant, but this is not tennis and therefore goalkeepers' main objective isn't to return balls with as much force as possible, but instead to smother or parry them. Neither is there any external equipment equivalent to tennis players' rackets, to help extend goalkeepers' reach with anyway.

If my interpretation of what you're describing is correct, it relies heavily on having contact with the ground to begin with, enabling one to exert that said force, otherwise it's pretty ineffective? But yes, it does make sense if you spring at the right moment, definitely whilst playing tennis. I'll try it myself next time I'm at the court :)

Had to search a bit to find the specific video, as I had seen a discussion on this topic before, but at last, I found it.

Scrub to ~40 seconds in. Carragher is spot on.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A few posts back in the thread I said De Gea was unfortunate rather than poor, but having read your comment and rewatched the goal I think De Gea was a little slow to react. Pogba should do better but De Gea could have reacted quicker and got himself set.

That being said from the below angle it looks like a combination of poor closing down by Pogba and Rojo being slightly out of position having been dragged across to Smalling's man gave Kante a huge amount of the goal to De Gea's left to aim at, which could explain why De Gea was moving that way.

Pogba closing down was poor and Rojo not stepping out was poor. DDG was also a bit slow going down for me although I blame Pogba and Rojo.

Varun

Staff
Was a routine save, would be very disappointed if he let that in. He is getting a bit underrated this season though judging by some posts in his transfer thread, agreed.

Sylar

Kinda sad he gets robbed off clean sheets cos of brainfarts from our defenders. Can count today, vs Arsenal, vs Everton as obvious ones.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Kinda sad he gets robbed off clean sheets cos of brainfarts from our defenders. Can count today, vs Arsenal, vs Everton as obvious ones.
Our defense should be paying for his bonus.

Robertd0803

Look at his reaction to Smallings own goal against Bournemouth at Old Trafford last season. Denied him the Golden Glove or whatever its called. Probably drives him batshit crazy.

Man Utd 1:1 Everton

Vilev

Last month, maybe even two, he hardly saves anything, he concedes rather easy goals and makes strange mistakes. He is clearly out of balance. I think it's due to a possible summer transfer. With MU obviously lagging behind in terms of returning to the top level it's only fair that Real move is back on. And Navas as i gather is not exactly popular in Madrid making one mistake after another.

NinjaFletch

Last month, maybe even two, he hardly saves anything, he concedes rather easy goals and makes strange mistakes. He is clearly out of balance. I think it's due to a possible summer transfer. With MU obviously lagging behind in terms of returning to the top level it's only fair that Real move is back on. And Navas as i gather is not exactly popular in Madrid making one mistake after another.
How the feck is thst an easy goal?

He's got about half a second to react and he's completely blindsided by Rojo.

Vilev

How the feck is thst an easy goal?

He's got about half a second to react and he's completely blindsided by Rojo.
It was right through him, a top keeper should save that. Just look at saves opposition keepers make against MU, a lot of time it's a "half a second" reaction time. That's never mind thew fact, that if the ball is high in a goal area a GK must get the ball or at least punch it.

dirkey

Very bad for the goal, and very indecisive just now, should have come out and cleared when Rojo headed it back under pressure from Lukaku.

NinjaFletch

It was right through him, a top keeper should save that. Just look at saves opposition keepers make against MU, a lot of time it's a "half a second" reaction time. That's never mind thew fact, that if the ball is high in a goal area a GK must get the ball or at least punch it.
Its literally past him before he's seen it. There's absolutely nothing he can do except hope he gets lucky and it hits him.

Now whether he should have come and claimed it is another matter, but criticising him for not saving that is silly.

izec

His head is in Madrid. What the feck is he shitting his pants and staying in goal for ages, get the feck out and clear the situations

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Its literally past him before he's seen it. There's absolutely nothing he can do except hope he gets lucky and it hits him.

Now whether he should have come and claimed it is another matter, but criticising him for not saving that is silly.
This.

No chance in hell any goalkeeper is going to anticipate Phil fecking Jagielka toe-flicking the ball around his tight goal-side marker whilst facing away from goal.

He definitely should have caught or punched the ball clear before Jagielka got to it though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is definitely far from special this season.

Djemba-Djemba

He's been nowhere near as good this season as the last 3.

Rojo was equally to blame for that goal, if not more to blame, but it's still not great from De Gea. Why's he not punching that ball away? Really poor from him, he's not doing his job and hoping Rojo will deal with it.

He's made a fair few errors this season, not been many games where I've come out of it thinking he's saved us.

Status
Not open for further replies.