Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mancan92

Sorry but this is a dreadful post. Despite our failings over the past few years, if playing for Manchester United is not the "highest level" then I don't know what is. This man has been showered with nothing but praise from United and opposition fans alike in England over the past 3 years because he's done it for us consistently, over and over again.

A few below average games in a World Cup and he dopesn't have the mentality for the highest level? Rubbish.
We aren't the highest level and haven't been for a few years. I don't like Jose's heritage speech but it's true we haven't been completing for the highest honours

Leif GW

Thought he looked pathetic on the penalties. He didn't seem to believe in it himself, just look at the first penalty where he is on it and should just tip it out. Instead his hand was too weak.

mancan92

If being a premier league winning keeper isn't thriving at the highest level then I just don't know...
World cups and top champions league games are more pressure situation especially because in this world cup he isn't next to players clearly below his level. Everyone in that Spain team is a top level leader. It's a completely different environment

AKDevil

7 of those shots were penalties, one was a Ronaldo free kick, one was a bullet header, one was a one on one after an Iniesta/Ramos feck up and one was genuinely a blunder. Stopping Morocco's header would be a wonder save. The only save he made was a one on one situation.

There's another way to phrase that stat. "David de Gea only conceded two goals from open play throughout the entire World Cup. Narrative."
I get the breakdown and said then you look deeper. Seven might have been penalties but he probably should have saved two of them. The one on one went straight through him. Personally I’m ok with his approach to one on ones as more often that not he wins the battle but when he loses it doesn’t look great.

Oldyella

He didn't try to read the players run up. He just picked a side and went for it. That is the only thing you can maybe blame him: not holding his ground and reading the movements and run up.

Two different tactics.
That can easily be fixed then? It just sounds like a coaching issue.

binary bot

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
I got bit of a revelation to myself when browsing Liverpool forums. The new to me idea presented was there might be two types of keepers. Of why Mignolet or Karius seemed to drop the ball literarily.
Those who get constant action and they come good and people rightly rate them. Like Pope or Schmeichel. Or Karius/Migno before Pool bought them.

And then there are the ones who rarely see the ball but are alert and superb on those rare occasions when called upon. Like Navas or Neuer (pre injury form).

Maybe De Gea is type 1 after all. Very good under constant pressure but very vunerable in Spanish NT where he needs to do max 2 saves per game at most.

Anyways it was a very interesting view point for me personally. And Pool really could do a world class keeper of the second type.

Another thing to think about is those keepers whose team uses block low (lots of long shots/crosses) vs those who face counter-attacks and are very good on rushing from goal (Neuer and Ederson is immense in this) and are good on 1on1.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I got bit of a revelation to myself when browsing Liverpool forums. The new to me idea presented was there might be two types of keepers. Of why Mignolet or Karius seemed to drop the ball literarily.
Those who get constant action and they come good and people rightly rate them. Like Pope or Schmeichel. Or Karius/Migno before Pool bought them.

And then there are the ones who rarely see the ball but are alert and superb on those rare occasions when called upon. Like Navas or Neuer (pre injury form).

Maybe De Gea is type 1 after all. Very good under constant pressure but very vunerable in Spanish NT where he needs to do max 2 saves per game at most.

Anyways it was a very interesting view point for me personally. And Pool really could do a world class keeper of the second type.

Another thing to think about is those keepers whose team uses block low (lots of long shots/crosses) vs those who face counter-attacks and are very good on rushing from goal (Neuer and Ederson is immense in this) and are good on 1on1.
Cudicini fell victim to that logic aswell. When we were fighting for top 4 he was amazing and people thought he was en route to being mentioned in the same breath as Schmeichel and Seaman ( in terms of PL greats) but after Roman's takeover and the massive shift of what was required from him that came with it he looked lost and was swiftly replaced by Cech.

Aloysius's Back 3

Even though he is the best shot stopper in the world he still needs to rule the box much more as a goal keeper - something I'd assume is quite hard to do when he stays on the line & makes fantastic saves.

Hopefully he continues to improve & finds a balance between coming out of his line & staying on his lying whilst reflexing saves. If he learns how to come off his line - I'd assume he would become better at penalties too.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

You're not alone in this strange relevantion @Pink Moon said the same thing. The problem is most games United play we are on top (I know everyone presumes we are absolutely atrocious but we did finish 2nd after all) and generally De Gea bails us out with his one save in that game.

Anyway not sure what your point is. Liverpool is too good for De Gea?

Bobski

Just on penalty shootouts, I don't really think it is a coaching thing, more a temperament and personality issue. Look at some of the keepers during the shootouts and they are highly demonstrative, aggressive, trying to intimidate the taker emotionally as well as physically. That is not Dave, he is rather introverted, one of the reasons why dominating his box is something of an issue, not that aggressive force trying to get in the oppositions head.

Abhinav

David did not perform as per his own ridiculously high standards, but he wasn’t really bad. I am sure he is heart broken right now but when he comes back to United our fans will bring his confidence back to normal. The fans will show their love and support, which he undoubtedly deserves for bailing us out over and over again.

fanutd

Not the first time our player has been destroyed by press/pundit/fans and solely blamed at an international tournament. I am hoping for a Becks, Rooney or Ronaldo style return of De Gea for our upcoming season.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
You're not alone in this strange relevantion @Pink Moon said the same thing. The problem is most games United play we are on top (I know everyone presumes we are absolutely atrocious but we did finish 2nd after all) and generally De Gea bails us out with his one save in that game.

Anyway not sure what your point is. Liverpool is too good for De Gea?
Not at all! I would take DDG in a heart beat. The point I was fumbling at was that some goalies excel at their teams and some of it might be contributed to teams style of play. Which was the novel idea to me yesterday really. And personally makes it interesting angle in my fawning over this and that goalie in an endless fanboy speculation as Liverpool is searching for a new GK. ;)

Another interesting insight a Finnish ex-NT goalie (Antti Niemi, played for Southampton and Fulham 2002-2008 and Man Utd was also interested in him back then) dropped while commenting on the WC matches was that when goalie suffers an injury the first thing to deteriorate is the ability to make decisions. To call situations right. Do I come off the line? Punch or claim it? Commit or not?

He said that this skill starts to go surprisingly quick in one or two weeks. The other skills, like saving techniques, last way longer.

The goalie committing to an action ties to this type discussion too. Some goalies just seem very hesitant by nature and rarely come off the line. DDG never has stricken me as a goalie who ventures out easily. He does not need to either with Mourinho usually playing low block and those god-like reflex saves take care of the rest. In Spanish NT we rarely was him off the line either. Well, there weren't too many occasions to do it either. To me DDG had +/- 0 WC. One very bad mistake and one very good save. Sure he could work on his penalties. The biggest difference to me was that he looked unusually nervous and shaky in his body language. Hope he brings that souvenir to matches next season :D

Back to IMO. DDG is not generally perceived as a commanding keeper in lieu of Oliver Kahn who was the hairiest goalie ever to boss the box. Neuer clearly relishes the opportunity to come out of his box to show of his impressive leg play. Ederson too like to strut his stuff. Courtois is bit of both IMO. Comes off the line but makes good close saves.

I would have loved to see Lukas Hradecky in Liverpool shirt. He does a bit of both. Comes out quite often and is good on reflex saves and 1vs1. After all he can't be that bad as he was the Bundesliga fans' goalie of the year. And he is no one season wonder either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.