Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

They were already pretty much the undisputed best two players of the generation, having performed in the biggest games repeatedly over many years. David hasn't really had the chance to show his worth in the CL, and his international performances haven't been good. He isn't anywhere near that established and of course his reputation will take a hit.
So his reputation is damage despite the fact nobody really seen him in CL or international games? You for real? Are you seriously suggesting that he's not established in world football? feck me one World Cup and some idiots are throwing him under the bus. I hate forums sometimes....

Stats don't tell you context. Rom could only score only 3 goals next season....to win the league, the FA cup and the CL. He could score 40 and we win feck all. Context....

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only mistake you can blame him for is that blunder against Portugal. Apart from that he hardly made any mistakes. This is like 2011 again.

vangagal

Yet he’s had no problem with the Spanish youth teams, with Fergie or under Van Gaal where we played like Spain have this tournament every single game.

De Gea has a lot to prove yes but it goes far deeper then this, Pique has hands down had one of the worst tournaments ever and Ramos doesn’t always inspire confidence either.
Spain turn blind when it comes to their outfield players. It would be De Gea's fault back in Spain. Yet, their clueless Hierro and others players will get away with it.

Kapardin

De Gea should have done better in the shootout as well as his pathetic performance v Portugal you can see why he's being questioned.

Besides, at club level he plays behind a really poor defence so he's always being tested. Only 4 keepers made more saves than him last season and two of them played for relegated sides. It seems that when he's playing with Spain he struggles to keep his concentration because he's only tested once in a blue moon.
Nope mate, I slagged him off a bit for his poor goalkeeping against Portugal and the penalties, but Ramos-Pique has been no better than Jones-Smalling this tournament. They didn't really help De Gea that much.

Its' a combination of nerves + his weaknesses coming into play. De Gea has always had our support, is our undisputed #1 and so his confidence is sky-high playing for us. For Spain, he faced a lot of politics displacing Casillas, is yet to win over the Spanish media and the Real links every summer don't help. When De Gea is under pressure like that, he usually doesn't perform as well and its' natural for his weaknesses to be more glaringly exposed.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Some top keepers are pretty abysmal at saving penalties. Peter Schmeichel was one of them.

Snafu17

He literally made one mistake throughout the whole tournament. The criticism he's reciveing is fecking baffling.

A bit like when Oblak was criticized after the CL final. It's penalties! What are you expecting. It's literally meant to be the easiest possible opportunity to score bar an open net.

Never mind the fact that Spain created feck all and has basically reverted to VDB's first gear tiki taka straight after the Portugal game, let's blame the keeper for not saving penos.

Last edited:

justboy68

I swear one of those penalties phased right through his body. Are we sure he was actually there and not just doing a jedi mind trick like Luke from that shit new star wars film?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He literally made one mistake throughout the whole tournament. The criticism he's reciveing is fecking baffling.
Genuinely the first ever keeper I've seen which is getting criticised for not saving penalties.

Greck

Nope mate, I slagged him off a bit for his poor goalkeeping against Portugal and the penalties, but Ramos-Pique has been no better than Jones-Smalling this tournament. They didn't really help De Gea that much.

Its' a combination of nerves + his weaknesses coming into play. De Gea has always had our support, is our undisputed #1 and so his confidence is sky-high playing for us. For Spain, he faced a lot of politics displacing Casillas, is yet to win over the Spanish media and the Real links every summer don't help. When De Gea is under pressure like that, he usually doesn't perform as well and its' natural for his weaknesses to be more glaringly exposed.
He once said playing in England meant the things he did went under the radar in Spain. With how much he's doubted among Spanish fans I can believe it

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
So his reputation is damage despite the fact nobody really seen him in CL or international games? You for real? Are you seriously suggesting that he's not established in world football? feck me one World Cup and some idiots are throwing him under the bus. I hate forums sometimes....
I didn't say he's not established, but he's not the undisputed best unlike Messi and CR7 because he hasn't been seen very much outside of the English League. Therefore people who know less of him will judge him more by his performances at this world cup, because they don't have much else to judge him on.

Please point out to me where I threw him under the bus before calling me an idiot. :rolleyes:

Zen

Of the high profile none-threepeat generation players - of course he's gonna be the one to take the hit. Isco's the fecking golden ball. He'll be fine, it's Spain that need to move on, from their old ways...shouldn't be building any more teams are Ramos, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta and Silva....

Red_toad

You think United fans enjoy admitting their best player didn't play to his level? He had a shocker on some of these pens especially the one that slid under him. It was very very saveable
He still didn't give away the penalty, nor miss his kick. If it were United, Pique would have been slaughtered for his massive error. Pens are 50/50 sometimes they just don't go your way, sticking your hand up in the air with your back turned to the ball is unforgivable. De Gea isn't the reasons went out, failure to have a plan B against teams who sit deep and a brain fart from Pique are the reasons.
Yeah he want effective in the shoot out, but really getting vilified for it, would be a lot of a joke,

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've said before out it to his left and you'll score, wait till Sky do a piece on it and claim they've highlighted no one has ever noticed before

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Genuinely the first ever keeper I've seen which is getting criticised for not saving penalties.
That's only because you have a vested interest in this. Generally goalkeepers are more likely to win penalties than penalty takers are to lose them, I reckon. Clearly some of the penalties were saveable and it counts against him that he couldn't make one positive contribution at a time when they most needed him to.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
That's a really odd perception. Your memory's failing you here because under LVG he was voted the best keeper in the league despite making fewer saves than the likes of Cech and Lloris.
That's because he is the best keeper in the league.

I was referring to the season just past where over the course of the season he was one of the most active goalkeepers. When you then go off and play with your international team and watching them pass the ball about in midfield for the entire game it's obviously very hard to switch on.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

A bit like when Oblak was criticized after the CL final. It's penalties! What are you expecting. It's literally meant to be the easiest possible opportunity to score bar an open net.
Both De Gea and Oblak were rightfully criticized for their performances. Penalties aren't lottery. Yes, the keeper has it more difficult. But that doesn't mean he's never to be blamed. You can't blame a keeper for conceding a great penalty. That would be unfair. But those, and those against Oblak you mentioned, weren't good penalties. They weren't even average. You have to make saves, when the opportunity presents itself. De Gea today and Oblak back then completely failed to do so.

Brwned

That's because he is the best keeper in the league.

I was referring to the season just past where over the course of the season he was one of the most active goalkeepers. When you then go off and play with your international team and watching them pass the ball about in midfield for the entire game it's obviously very hard to switch on.
Yes but the point is you've just suggested he struggles when he's not constantly involved, despite the evidence illustrating he proved years ago that wasn't the case. What he did this year just underlines it doesn't matter how overworked he is - he can excel either way.

spiriticon

If you want to be touted as the best in the world, you'll be scrutinised from all angles from anybody. That's how it goes.

Nobody gives a shit if Lee Grant misses all his penalties.

AshRK

De gea will be made the easy target when the real issue were their stupid and boring tactics and their defenders who couldn't defend. But ofcourse blaming de gea will be logical as he doesnt play for one of the Spanish giants.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's only because you have a vested interest in this. Generally goalkeepers are more likely to win penalties than penalty takers are to lose them, I reckon. Clearly some of the penalties were saveable and it counts against him that he couldn't make one positive contribution at a time when they most needed him to.
I'm sorry but I disagree with this one. If a penalty taker takes even a 6/10 penalty then its difficult for a goalkeeper to save it.

Snafu17

Both De Gea and Oblak were rightfully criticized for their performances. Penalties aren't lottery. Yes, the keeper has it more difficult. But that doesn't mean he's never to be blamed. You can't blame a keeper for conceding a great penalty. That would be unfair. But those, and those against Oblak you mentioned, weren't good penalties. They weren't even average. You have to make saves, when the opportunity presents itself. De Gea today and Oblak back then completely failed to do so.
They're basically lottery for keepers though. They can either guess a way or try to psych the player out. Non of those thing work if the player stays calm. Which is not easy, but a penalty always favours the player. And non of the ones against De Gea were particularly shite.

Last edited:

Brwned

I'm sorry but I disagree with this one.
I think you'd be surprised how many times the better penalty saver is on the winning side. Can't imagine it's something anyone's looked into but it seems pretty significant to me. They're the one constant while the outfield players vary quite wildly in competence

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Including penalty from open play, he dived everytime to his right. Has to be a preparation issue with that.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
They're basically lottery for keepers though. They can either guess a way or try to psych the player out. Non of those thing work if a player stays calm. Which is not easy, but a penalty always favours the player. And non of the ones against De Gea were particularly shite.
A penalty doesn't have to be shit to be saved. And not every bad penalty has to be saved. But having no saves at all, while the opponent's penalties aren't exactly great, is just not good enough. You have to save some of the bad ones.
Also, just diving into the same corner for every pen or standing still for every pen (like Oblak inexplicably did), does not help. You have to play the odds.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They're basically lottery for keepers though. They can either guess a way or try to psych the player out. Non of those thing work if the player stays calm. Which is not easy, but a penalty always favours the player. And non of the ones against De Gea were particularly shite.
No they are not. Keepers study the opposition's penalty techniques including which side they mostly hit but also practice saving them, there were two penalties De Gea really should have saved.

Snafu17

A penalty doesn't have to be shit to be saved. And not every bad penalty has to be saved. But having no saves at all, while the opponent's penalties aren't exactly great, is just not good enough. You have to save some of the bad ones.
Also, just diving into the same corner for every pen or standing still for every pen (like Oblak inexplicably did), does not help. You have to play the odds.
Yeah, but the sample is five shots. It's entirely possible to guess wrong five times in a row. It's statistically fairly likely, if anything.

Surely you're playing the odds either way?

Last edited:

vangagal

True.

But a lot of those guys have won stuff for Spain so will get away with much more.

It's not fair but it's just the way it is.
Only Pique, Ramos, Iniesta, Silva, Busquet, Alba remains starter from their last winning side. And those are the ones who played equally poor all around. You can't blame De Gea for their inability to score at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.