Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The basics of defending a corner in a man marking system. Stay in front of your man, goal side and win the header or challenge.

Not sure what Matic was doing, but I don't expect a keeper to make that ball his. If he does it's magnificent goalkeeping. But Matic has to stay on front of Kimpembe.

Bobski

The whole world knows it though so why would matic stop and expect him to come this time. Just deal with it yourself
No-one expects De Gea to come through a crowd of bodies 12 yards out and take the ball but when it is dropping 3/4 yards out inside the 6 yard box the keeper, any keeper, should be expected to deal with it.

No keeper ever beats Dave for highlight saves but that is only one part of keeping, his control of his area, willingness to leave his line are key weaknesses.

Patrick08

No-one expects De Gea to come through a crowd of bodies 12 yards out and take the ball but when it is dropping 3/4 yards out inside the 6 yard box the keeper, any keeper, should be expected to deal with it.

No keeper ever beats Dave for highlight saves but that is only one part of keeping, his control of his area, willingness to leave his line are key weaknesses.
He won't have got there even with his hands, It's 100% on matic.

izec

I always think GKs should come out and catch balls 5 yards out from goal. Yeah Matic was sleeping, but our defending corners is absolute shambles. Pogba completely misses the ball, Matic ball watching and stops running, De Gea sticking on his line. It is a massive issue that needs to be adressed. Every corner looks dangerous.

Makalu

It was a mistake by De Gea for the first goal. You could tell from his reaction to it afterwards, and the way that he tried to come out for the next corner that Alves nearly scored from when it wasn't even remotely on. If he didn't have the goal on his mind then he stays on his line.

Patrick08

On both of them, first rule of defending, expect a mistake, be ready for it.
But he is confident of saving the shots and he does lots of times, he is a reactive player and thus a great shot stopper. But that was struck fiercely.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
De Gea should have gone for the ball after the corner. The PSG player gets the touch ~4 yards in front of the goal. Should have been easy to punch it away.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Shot stopping was great, but man the replay demonstrates his dereliction of duty was the primary cause of PSG’s first goal. Yes, Matic should be in front of their attacker and otherwise attempt to defend it, but I’d rather have a keeper make a routine punch or catch under no pressure than want a defender to make a volleyed clearance whilst tunning back to goal only a few yards out. One of these carries far less risk.

RedStarUnited

Im I the only one that thinks he could have maybe held on to that header from Mbappe that led to the orner for the first goal?

Maybe my expectations of him are too high now.

criticalanalysis

After the first goal, it was quite comical to see that De Gea came of his line and tried for a punch clearance, hopelessly missing the ball and PSG almost scored with a deflection. Like he wanted to make amends for what happened earlier.
Yeah this.

It's hard to criticise De Gea because he is legitimately the only player that can say he has performed, over performed and been consistent these past 5 years. However, for his own development and the sake of our defence, he has got to come off his line.

It's such a shame, his coaches haven't addressed this.

kundalini

After watching numerous replays of their first goal, De Gea's decision making looks horrible on that corner. He could have taken a few steps and caught the ball without coming in contact with a single player.

Obviously Matic did a shocking marking job too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Matic should have marked his man. A keeper can't do everybody else's job.

fallengt

After watching numerous replays of their first goal, De Gea's decision making looks horrible on that corner. He could have taken a few steps and caught the ball without coming in contact with a single player.

Obviously Matic did a shocking marking job too.
I'm convinced De Gea has allergy, fear of making physical contact kind. Not blaming him for the goal but I rarely seen he came out of goal line to clear the ball in a corner kick. He definitely should've done that.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
It was a mistake by De Gea for the first goal. You could tell from his reaction to it afterwards, and the way that he tried to come out for the next corner that Alves nearly scored from when it wasn't even remotely on. If he didn't have the goal on his mind then he stays on his line.
I noticed that

Canagel

He still doesn't command his box. After all these years it's the only thing that has remained the same.

Fracture90

Made some great saves as per usual, but think he should be cleaning that ball for the first goal. Leaving the goal line was always one of his biggest weaknesses, which he scarcely has.

Rossa

I always think GKs should come out and catch balls 5 yards out from goal. Yeah Matic was sleeping, but our defending corners is absolute shambles. Pogba completely misses the ball, Matic ball watching and stops running, De Gea sticking on his line. It is a massive issue that needs to be adressed. Every corner looks dangerous.
I think you pointed out all the mistakes on that corner very well (except for the goal scorer should have been sent off earlier). Pogba jumps for a ball he can never get to, which will set Matic off a little even when it shouldn't. DDG should definitely have come out for that cross. It was high, slow and lofted and landed 3 metres from the goalline. That's actually terrible goalkeeping. However, like with Matic, he might have been put off from Pogba's move.

Rossa

It was a very good delivery so it was by no means easy for De Gea to get to the ball. He should have, though. A really dominant keeper would have.
Nah, that's terrible from DDG - no excuses. He also fecked up just minutes later from another cross where he hit his teammate instead of the ball; the ball then fell to Alves, who could just as easily have scored.

lawliet354

Nah, that's terrible from DDG - no excuses. He also fecked up just minutes later from another cross where he hit his teammate instead of the ball; the ball then fell to Alves, who could just as easily have scored.
Similar to Maguire goals last season at Leicester, the crossing was also high and slow but as usual De Gea is always glued to his line

MuranoLover

First goal is his , unfortunately .

There is no reason a GK doesn't make a step forward and catch a ball like this .

Mcking

I've always said that he is one of the reasons why we concede a lot of chances especially from crosses and set-pieces. His inability to come off his line and command the box puts too much pressure on the outfielders to clear every ball.
No matter how good a goalkeeper is at stopping shots, if he is reluctant to take charge then the shots will keep coming, and not every shots are saveable. It is a very big weakness.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First goal is 50% DDG. Ball is in six yard box. Doesn’t dominate the box the way you would like but still by far our best player.

fallengt

It was my thought too.
First goal was mostly Matic but the 6 yards area in front on DDG was clear. He should've came out and tried to punch the ball at least.
GK is well protected inside the box. Use it to your advantage, there's no reason not to. It's one of his weakness

Zorica

De Gea did made some good saves in the match. One from Mbappe's header, another from his looping ball and another thunderous shot.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
There has been a lot of debate about whether De Gea is our best ever keeper, and I think in terms of shot stopping, you’d be hard pushed to say no. But of the three candidates both Schmeichel and Van der Saar had better command of their box. Van der Saar was better with his feet. And while big Pete wasn’t the best with the ball at his feet (he was okay, perhaps on a par with Dave), he had that ridiculous cannon of an arm to launch counter attacking throws beyond the half way line.

1. Schmeichel
2. Van Der Saar
3. De Gea.

If Edwin becomes our new DoF, which is a possibility, it would be interesting to see if he can help De Gea take that final step into legendary status. Because with a couple of small advances he could easily finish his career as the best of the three. Probably not in trophies, but in performances.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There has been a lot of debate about whether De Gea is our best ever keeper, and I think in terms of shot stopping, you’d be hard pushed to say no. But of the three candidates both Schmeichel and Van der Saar had better command of their box. Van der Saar was better with his feet. And while big Pete wasn’t the best with the ball at his feet (he was okay, perhaps on a par with Dave), he had that ridiculous cannon of an arm to launch counter attacking throws beyond the half way line.

1. Schmeichel
2. Van Der Saar
3. De Gea.

If Edwin becomes our new DoF, which is a possibility, it would be interesting to see if he can help De Gea take that final step into legendary status. Because with a couple of small advances he could easily finish his career as the best of the three. Probably not in trophies, but in performances.
De Gea is much better than VDS. If he had a prime Rio + Vidic infront of him for most of his career his clean sheets would be insane.

Schmeichel is a tricky one, he was great in 1v1s and commanding his box, a pretty good shot stopper for a big man. With his feet though it wasn't important back then.

I think they're both better at different things, so it's really take your pick. I don't remember Schmeichel ever having games like DDG did though. Being an absolute 1 man wall and blocking everything possible. The 2 away games to Arsenal (last one with Sanchez) + Tottenham this year were just immense.

Alemar

Catching crosses from set pieces is actually something that may be trained. I wonder whether they work on it during training sessions.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I think they're both better at different things, so it's really take your pick. I don't remember Schmeichel ever having games like DDG did though. Being an absolute 1 man wall and blocking everything possible. The 2 away games to Arsenal (last one with Sanchez) + Tottenham this year were just immense.
Oh, he did. Away at Newcastle in 1996 for example. We won 1-0, Cantona. If not for Big Pete we would've lost 8-1.

And this was a HUGE game, Newcastle were top of the table and we're trailing 12 points behind. After this game Newcastle fell apart.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
De Gea is much better than VDS. If he had a prime Rio + Vidic infront of him for most of his career his clean sheets would be insane.

Schmeichel is a tricky one, he was great in 1v1s and commanding his box, a pretty good shot stopper for a big man. With his feet though it wasn't important back then.

Gosh, I remember Schmeichel having those one man wall games even 20 years later. Away at Newcastle was one game that won us the title. And the CL quarter finals against Inter, he was immense. Schmeichel wasn’t a “good shot stopper for a big man”, he was one of the best shot stoppers ever; period.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Oh, he did. Away at Newcastle in 1996 for example. We won 1-0, Cantona. If not for Big Pete we would've lost 8-1.
Gosh, I remember Schmeichel having those one man wall games even 20 years later. Away at Newcastle was one game that won us the title. And the CL quarter finals against Inter, he was immense. Schmeichel wasn’t a “good shot stopper for a big man”, he was one of the best shot stoppers ever; period.
Fair point, unfortunately I was pretty young when Schmeichel was in his prime so I don't remember the best of him. All I can say is we've been lucky enough to have 2 keepers that are THAT good, and it's difficult to separate them.

Giggsyking

comparing De Gea to Schmeichel is like comapring Messi to Rooney. The first is one of the best goalkeepers ever played football, and the other is (one of the best at the moment) but not in the greatest goalkeepers list of all time.
De Gea has flaws, the biggest one is he cant stop crosses.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
comparing De Gea to Schmeichel is like comapring Messi to Rooney. The first is one of the best goalkeepers ever played football, and the other is (one of the best at the moment) but not in the greatest goalkeepers list of all time.
:confused:

This was the case a number of years ago but I completely disagree this is the case. He is not the best in the world at it but to say he "can't stop crosses" is a massive exaggeration.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Welcome back from 2011.

Man Utd 0:0 Liverpool

Uniquim

Others are Cech (162 at Chelsea), Seaman (137 at Arsenal), Reina (134 at Liverpool), Howard (116 at Everton), Schmeichel (112 at United), Hart (109 at City)

Van der Sar had 90 clean sheets at United.

(all numbers for league games only)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So hard to rate him when he's barely touched the ball (credit to the defence for that). Don't wanna just give a 5 or 6 because he didn't have anything to do so guess it's a 7 or 8 which is about his average.

Sylar

The one thing he had to do was pick up a shot from 40 yards out which rolled towards him. Didnt think he would have such an easy game :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.