Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Don't really think the 3rd goal was his problem, Fred had enough space but either controlled heavily or for some reason decided to try and chest control on the turn with no awareness of the players pressing behind him, then there was a fecking canyon in between Bailly and Lindelof. The latter was basically playing LB during that play FFS.

FerociousCorgis

Don't really think the 3rd goal was his problem, Fred had enough space but either controlled heavily or for some reason decided to try and chest control on the turn with no awareness of the players pressing behind him, then there was a fecking canyon in between Bailly and Lindelof. The latter was basically playing LB during that play FFS.
yeah i mean he played fred into decently tight space, but still a play fred has to make-or at least not play as badly as he did. Fred is supposed to be a starting CM for one of the top clubs in one of the best leagues in the world. That is a play he has to be able to make

Morpheus 7

The state of some of the comments in here, he's one of the only good things about this United side. He made some good saves against Leicester and can't be blamed for Brighton. Bailly and Lindelof were beyond shite. If your blaming your keeper for not saving a penalty, maybe best looking at who give it away. We are very lucky to have David, he's surrounded by an entire backline of mediocrity and just gets on with it. The best keeper around and arguably best we've ever had.

Rossa

DDG is the best shot stopper in the world. I doubt anyone would argue against that. He is not the best at commanding the box, but he is arguably the best one on one when players are through. Looking at some of the other top goalies, he is arguably the worst at picking out a pass. He has pretty good technique, but he takes a little long to spot passes, compared to Romero playing for the same team, and he quite often misplaces passes. He is definitely one of the best goalies in the world, but he has more to prove if he wants to be THE best. I also think he lacks leadership to his game compared to Schmeichel and VDS.

It was a shocking pass. It was overhit so Fred was running backwards trying to get to it. He did a half decent job of controlling it but it was also a floated pass so half the Brighton team was able to close him down by the time he'd done that.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Really? Who is then? I think he is fantastic at staying on his feet and waiting out players. Not as good as Schmeichel obviously, but still better than most - thus, arguably.
He is definitely not special in one on one situations. Him staying and waiting isn't really something that I would praise, if anything, that's a negative thing about him, IMO.

luke511

We need to get another spanish player in to replace Mata and Herrera as De Gea's best mate, so we can finally get rid of them :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He is definitely not special in one on one situations. Him staying and waiting isn't really something that I would praise, if anything, that's a negative thing about him, IMO.
Couldn't disagree more. That is absolutely a good quality in a goalkeeper. Most goalkeepers are incredibly reactive and fall for dummies or just guess, and it's so easy to do so, because the margin for error is slim. A lot attackers don't just go straight for slotting it past keepers, but they wait for them to move, and it becomes much harder to make a decision if the goalkeeper doesn't bite first. I'd predict that De Geas numbers in one on one and similar close range chances would be better than most.

Rossa

Then we are talking about two different things. His ability to play as a sweeper and come off his line in those situations are almost diabolical. On the other hand, when a player dribbles through or is played through with some quick one two passing and comes one on one inside the 18 yard box, he is pretty darn good.

Man Utd 0:3 Tottenham

NinjaFletch

Anyone else a touch worried about his form?

Not that he's playing particularly badly or that he should have saved anything he didn't, but he just seems a bit, err, human and as everyone in front of him is crap if De Gea isn't superhuman again this season then I really worry.

Fracture90

None of the goals conceded was his fault, but I think that vintage De Gea would have at least stopped that 3rd goal, for what is worth.

If he can't perform his usual miracles we're, without sugar-coating it - fuked.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Not that he's playing particularly badly or that he should have saved anything he didn't, but he just seems a bit, err, human and as everyone in front of him is crap if De Gea isn't superhuman again this season then I really worry.
Less worried about his shot stopping form, because it was bound to have a downturn at some point. He's a world class shot stopper.

I've been concerned for quite a while about most other aspects of his game and have repeatedly challenged him to improve his distribution, command of his area, leaving his line, etc. Until that happens, he'll never be world class. The best teams don't concede enough shots to only require a keeper to make saves as at a shooting range. You've got to be far more well rounded, ala Van der Sar, even if you aren't a proxy outfield player, ala Neuer.

UncleBob

Less worried about his shot stopping form, because it was bound to have a downturn at some point. He's a world class shot stopper.

I've been concerned for quite a while about most other aspects of his game and have repeatedly challenged him to improve his distribution, command of his area, leaving his line, etc. Until that happens, he'll never be world class. The best teams don't concede enough shots to only require a keeper to make saves as at a shooting range. You've got to be far more well rounded, ala Van der Sar, even if you aren't a proxy outfield player, ala Neuer.
:lol:

Does Dave know you've challenged him?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He started somewhat poorly (by his standards) last season as well. Hopefully he'll come good like he did then.

Fracture90

So you're saying DDG is not a world class GK?

Mcking

Great shot stopper, but average all round. He's one of the reasons we concede a lot from set pieces and he makes our defence look worse at times.

Fracture90

Great shot stopper, but average all round. He's one of the reasons we concede a lot from set pieces and he makes our defence look worse at times.
Have you seen that goal we conceded last night from that set piece? It primarily on poor defending from Jones, then secondary on not having a player on the left post to try to head it out, it was never a DDG's goal.

predator

Youth NITK
I can't bring myself to criticise Dave, he knows he could've done better at certain moments. He's not exactly got rio and vidic in front of him.

Mcking

I can't bring myself to criticise Dave, he knows he could've done better at certain moments. He's not exactly got rio and vidic in front of him.
Peak Rio and Vidic would probably look worse playing in front of De gea.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So you're saying DDG is not a world class GK?
He perhaps is for a team like United who concede a lot of good chances and rely on their goalkeeper to bail them out with his shot stopping, but maybe wouldn't be for better teams. I've said several times before that I think far greater scrutiny would be placed on the other aspects of his game were he to play behind a more solid defence for a top team. His distribution is not good enough, both in terms of kicking accuracy and starting counterattacks; he is very hesitant to leave his line; and he doesn't command his area and lead his defence to the standard that I would expect a senior goalkeeper to.

I can perfectly understand other top sides and managers overlooking him in favour of far more well rounded goalkeepers, never mind those sides who really demand a true sweeper keeper.

Mcking

He perhaps is for a team like United who concede a lot of good chances and rely on their goalkeeper to bail them out with his shot stopping, but maybe wouldn't be for better teams. I've said several times before that I think far greater scrutiny would be placed on the other aspects of his game were he to play behind a more solid defence for a top team. His distribution is not good enough, both in terms of kicking accuracy and starting counterattacks; he is very hesitant to leave his line; and he doesn't command his area and lead his defence to the standard that I would expect a senior goalkeeper to.

I can perfectly understand other top sides and managers overlooking him in favour of far more well rounded goalkeepers, never mind those sides who really demand a true sweeper keeper.
Agree with everything, but the bolded part is one of the reasons we concede a lot of chances too.

Fracture90

I do agree that he's not that true sweeper keeper but he is a world class GK.

Can he be better with the ball at his feet ,for sure he can but then we need to be coached to avoid high pressing that way. He gotta have players offering themselves for the pass, going wide, stretching the pressure, returning him the ball in his preferred area etc.

His hoofing is pretty bad in tight situations and his off the GK line skills need improving, but other than that imo he's a world class GK.

ToToMarshall

I know it's not the main part of his job, but he's absolutely shocking with the ball at his feet, and I don't know whether he's a bit low on confidence right now but the further away he is from his goal, the less convincing he is at the moment. I know it's almost sacrosanct to criticise Dave given how important he's been in keeping our status as close to respectable as possible, and I wouldn't swap him for anybody in the world, but I do look at what the likes of Liverpool's and City's goalkeepers do with a bit of envy. Sounds stupid to say, but it is almost like playing with an 11th player, so to speak, whereas we are still very much playing the traditional 10 footballers and a goalkeeper.

Trizy

Been poor since the world cup. Should've saved the third. Wouldn't have matter mind, we'd have still lost.

KGBhoy

You can't expect everybody around him to be shit, and him to still be at the top of his game. Do you think the team's performances don't affect him?
I am not blaming him for the goals, but his distribution from the back seems to have deteriorated (mind you, we're only 3 games into the season here).
I bet if we went on a 5 game winning run, you'd see the DeGea of the past 5 seasons.

el3mel

His distribution looks like it becomes worse with every new season.

I hate critcizing, but he's carrying his WC perfomance with us at the moment. Didn't think it will affect him that much.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You can't expect everybody around him to be shit, and him to still be at the top of his game. Do you think the team's performances don't affect him?
I am not blaming him for the goals, but his distribution from the back seems to have deteriorated (mind you, we're only 3 games into the season here).
I bet if we went on a 5 game winning run, you'd see the DeGea of the past 5 seasons.
This literally happened during Moyes and Van Gaal days and it should be happening now. Goalkeepers performance should not be reliant on the rest of the team, if anything some goalkeepers have shown to thrive in an environment where they constantly have work to do.

KGBhoy

This literally happened during Moyes and Van Gaal days and it should be happening now. Goalkeepers performance should not be reliant on the rest of the team, if anything some goalkeepers have shown to thrive in an environment where they constantly have work to do.
I thought about that as I was writing it. Maybe it finally got to him. We haven't had such a challenging start to the season as we had this time. So maybe it's that plus a below par World Cup and shitty pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.