Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

First of all, the stats are incorrect, he made saves against Tottenham (good ones as well)

Secondly: Even if they were correct, they are meaningless.

Not that it's a surprise that someone like el3mel reckons there's value in them, with his Hart esque comment and all. None of the goals that Tottenham scored were goalkeeper mistakes.

The average person really shouldn't have access to stats, at all

el3mel

First of all, the stats are incorrect, he made saves against Tottenham (good ones as well)

Secondly: Even if they were correct, they are meaningless.

Not that it's a surprise that someone like el3mel reckons there's value in them, with his Hart esque comment and all. None of the goals that Tottenham scored were goalkeeper mistakes.

The average person really shouldn't have access to stats, at all
There's a function here called "ignore". You can ignore me and enjoy the rest of your life. I have tried it previously and it's great.

Alabaster Codify7

He's definiely experiencing a dip in form and his morale seems a bit low. I don't blame him for the latter really, to be honest I wouldn't blame him if he rejected a new contract as he's wasting his best years at a club who are not going to win major honours anytime soon.

His form will be back though, soon enough.

automaticflare

What’s the dip in form based off?
Like I don’t remember him making any clangers but I do remember him being totally exposed by defence

Inter Yer Nan

this was before the 3rd goal went in, it's Bravo stats but tbh I'm not sure he's really been at fault for any, though being hyper critical I thought he was too near his near post for the first goal the other day.

I think those stats are bollocks tbh. It looks like they've included the four Russian penalties in the shoot-out, The Russian penalty during the game and Ronaldo's penalty so in reality probably 6 don't count or certainly wouldn't when talking about another teams goalie. He also made saves against Spurs.

Classical Mechanic

this was before the 3rd goal went in, it's Bravo stats but tbh I'm not sure he's really been at fault for any, though being hyper critical I thought he was too near his near post for the first goal the other day.

I don’t think any were clear mistakes and it it hints at the GC column could be an aberration. It seems unlikely that our oppponents will be that clinical again. Our xG against is nearly 2 goals over on Understat, hinting at the same thing.

JMack1234

He's not at his best but he's had a terrible World Cup. Still pulled out a good save when Lindelof played him a suicidal back pass.

A-man

To me it looks like all United players who played World cup are below their normal level. They had their summer break later than those who didn’t participate, and started their pre-season training later. In the end they got a long season, less rest and less build up training. Could be a reason why they all seem a bit worse than normal.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Dave’s problem is under Moyes and LVG he set superman standards. His shot stopping at that time was almost ridiculous. That big myth about our defence being good was down to De Gea and it papered over the cracks. Now he’s having a dip in form, paired with our incompetent defence and all the shits coming to the surface. He bailed out our defenders countless times but they aren’t capable of returning the favour

Stadjer

I think there are a lot more areas where we should improve before we start talking aboit de Gea his flaws and potentially replacing him...

Imagine how good he would look if he actually had two good not always injured centrebacks in front of him...

Bobski

Having a poor few months by his standards, not as sharp as usual and his kicking has been nearly Bosnich-esque. Is it possible he is struggling a little with his motivation, his time at Utd has mostly overlapped with this terrible spell for Utd, and we still look some way off competing at the very top of the game with another managerial change almost inevitable at this point.

A-man

I think there are a lot more areas where we should improve before we start talking aboit de Gea his flaws and potentially replacing him...

Imagine how good he would look if he actually had two good not always injured centrebacks in front of him...
I think that is the point some people are trying to make: that he wouldn’t look as great if he played in a better team, as he wouldn’t be doing all the awesome saves from short range.

There was one year I remember when Neuer was ranked relatively poorly based on stats for goalies, which were primarily percentage of saves. But it was Bayern’s dominance, he didn’t need to make many saves. Instead Bayern benefited from all his other skills.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...vid-de-gea-manchester-united-spain-goalkeeper

Interesting article on DdG and his playing out to feet. Implication is that we struggle to do a high press game with him around, and that's why he works less well for Spain. Because we play deep we play to his strengths.
Might definitely be some truth too it.

His kicking isn't at all great but then your tactics do not require that

Not sure about the link to Spain though because he was poor in the world cup due to his saving ability more than for kicking

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Not sure about the link to Spain though because he was poor in the world cup due to his saving ability more than for kicking
I guess the argument is that if the Spanish team presses up and he leaves gaps by not doing the same then there will be more shots on goal as a result. I suppose that might destabilise him more generally if he's a confidence player (and who isn't?)

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I guess the argument is that if the Spanish team presses up and he leaves gaps by not doing the same then there will be more shots on goal as a result. I suppose that might destabilise him more generally if he's a confidence player (and who isn't).
Fair enough I do get that and completely understand the point

But in the world cup (only an example) it wasn't that he faced a barrage of shots it was just that pretty much everything hit at him he didn't save, I don't know its a weird argument tbf and I completely disagree with there original point. United sit deeper and technically the shots he concedes are probably through more bodies and harder to react too and you also concede a lot of shots on goal.

I don't buy that he was destabilised just think he performed poorly as some players do for either club or country sometimes

glazed

Fair enough I do get that and completely understand the point

But in the world cup (only an example) it wasn't that he faced a barrage of shots it was just that pretty much everything hit at him he didn't save, I don't know its a weird argument tbf and I completely disagree with there original point. United sit deeper and technically the shots he concedes are probably through more bodies and harder to react too and you also concede a lot of shots on goal.

I don't buy that he was destabilised just think he performed poorly as some players do for either club or country sometimes
Yeah you're not wrong. But i think it's also true that his United reputation is built on spectacular reaction saves at short range, which is the typical threat in a deep defence.

UncleBob

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...vid-de-gea-manchester-united-spain-goalkeeper

Interesting article on DdG and his playing out to feet. Implication is that we struggle to do a high press game with him around, and that's why he works less well for Spain. Because we play deep we play to his strengths.
I disagree. People are quick to forget his earlier days at United, where he received nothing but praise for his ability to pick out players and how comfortable he was on the ball. The joke was that he was so comfortable with passes that we should stick him in midfield to sort out our central midfield issues... Now the theory is that he's not comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Not really all that fair to judge his passing stats under Van Gaal either, several reasons for that: We didn't have the players to get away with it, opposition often locked us off by standing high up the pitch when we wanted to play out, knowing that we weren't good enough to take advantage, we often resorted to knocking it to either wings to avoid pressure. Not to mention the abundance of times we used Fellaini as a target man, albeit with great success against Liverpool.

It's hardly a surprise that he has low accuracy under Mourinho, where the entire point is that we shouldn't lose the ball in a position where the opposition can cause damage, it's better to have a poor long ball to Fellaini/Lukaku up top than a poor pass in the back 4.

De Geas main issue at City would be the need to rush out for clearances.

UncleBob

Yeah you're not wrong. But i think it's also true that his United reputation is built on spectacular reaction saves at short range, which is the typical threat in a deep defence.
The typical threat with deep defenses is shots from short range ? No, not really. The entire point with deep defenses is to avoid giving away space, to force the opposition into playing the ball sideways high up the pitch and hopefully losing it, alternatively get frustrated and try long range shots (which stats wise is a poor decision).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think De Gea has much of an issue with the ball at his feet. I think the 'issue' is he's a 'keeper who religiously sticks to his box. He's not particularly good at sweeping forward nor does he seem confident doing it.

I've not clicked the article but if the implication is that David De Gea is the person preventing us from playing high press football... :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
De Geas main issue at City would be the need to rush out for clearances.
De Gea would never be long under Guardiola. He wouldn’t be wanted as a first choice and wouldn’t be content to be on the bench.

criticalanalysis

I don't think De Gea has much of an issue with the ball at his feet. I think the 'issue' is he's a 'keeper who religiously sticks to his box. He's not particularly good at sweeping forward nor does he seem confident doing it.
Pretty much this.

De Gea would never be long under Guardiola. He wouldn’t be wanted as a first choice and wouldn’t be content to be on the bench.
De Gea would be like Aguero. Far too much quality NOT to start eventually after a period of transition.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Bloke has been utterly sensational for about five years, suffers ever such a slight dip in standards and the knives are out :lol:

DDG is absolutely world class.

glazed

The typical threat with deep defenses is shots from short range ? No, not really. The entire point with deep defenses is to avoid giving away space, to force the opposition into playing the ball sideways high up the pitch and hopefully losing it, alternatively get frustrated and try long range shots (which stats wise is a poor decision).
But those long balls are never a threat. I take your point though

glazed

Bloke has been utterly sensational for about five years, suffers ever such a slight dip in standards and the knives are out :lol:

I'm very happy if no-one else wants him, especially in Spain. We know how good he is.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Caf in a nutshell. Just venture into the Luke Shaw thread and you will see.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The feck is wrong with people

Johan07

This. Or make the opposition cross the ball against an estblished defense. Which is equally a stats wise poor decision.
If DeGea lacks in any regard playing under a Mourinho team (that will concede a lot of crosses and corners) its in his dominance of the box.
A Mourinho team normally needs a more dominant keeper aerially.
He has gotten better at it of course, but its still the part where he can improve the most.
Mourinho invites opposing teams to cross or take shots from the outside as a way of if not creating; taking advantage of the transition possibilities it will usually bring.
De Gea could be quicker and better in that phase as well but I still thinks he lacks much more when it comes to dominance in the box.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's almost as if a goalkeeper performance level will drop having four different, but equally shite, centre-backs rotated in front of him...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His kicking was superb in his first 4/5 years here. If it's deteriorated,it's probably because we haven't really needed it as a team. It's something he can work on.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His kicking was superb in his first 4/5 years here. If it's deteriorated,it's probably because we haven't really needed it as a team. It's something he can work on.
Not really. His kicking off the deck has never been particularly great. Adequate but no more. His kicking out of his hand was always very good though. Got some quality assists that way.

Zoo

Good save from Rashford and very comfortable using the ball from the back. A lot of nonsense has written about him recently.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nah, clear foul to me. If Welbeck does that against a centre half it’s a free-kick for ‘backing in’ everyday.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Nah, clear foul to me. If Welbeck does that against a centre half it’s a free-kick for ‘backing in’ everyday.
It really isn't a foul. Not on De Gea anyway. Does Welbeck even touch him until De Gea lands on him?

Was a push on the CB though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It really isn't a foul. Not on De Gea anyway. Does Welbeck even touch him until De Gea lands on him?

Was a push on the CB though.
I think he does (touch him). But either way, he’s just stood there making no attempt to play the ball and obstructing De Gea. As I said, if De Gea was a cb trying to come and head it, would be text book backing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.