Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

Let me get the usual accusations out of the way by making clear that this is not a personal vendetta against the player, he seems like a good professional and a decent person, this is purely about about the game of football.
It's not his fault that he's been massively overhyped by our fans and the mainstream media alike.

This mess with De Gea pretty much sums up the club at the moment, anyone with even an ounce of footballing knowledge could see this coming a mile off.
Unfortunately, the most important people in this instance, our board, clearly don't possess that ounce of knowledge.
People are comparing the decision to give De Gea a new contract to the Sanchez saga, in my opinion, this is worse, because nobody could have predicted Sanchez's sudden decline whereas De Gea's decline was far from sudden.
An entire year and a half of horrendous form is not a 'blip'.

I personally have never ever got the hype about the player.
It was a bizarre signing in the first place I thought, it's not as if he was playing really well in Spain, he'd just come off the back of conceding over 53 goals in the league for Atletico Madrid.
"He's not cut out for the physicality of the premier league, no matter how good a shot stopper he is" I thought when I first watched him, hoping I was wrong because I'm no expert.
Based on his first season, I was not wrong unfortunately.

Yes, he improved slightly the second year, but those that think we won the league because of a solid defence that year need to go back and check the stats, because we conceded over 40 league goals.
Luckily we had world class forwards to compensate back then, we don't now, but that weakness is still there and still needs fixing.
To be clear, it's pretty obvious De Gea is not the only problem, we have many others, but we need to stop skipping over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted because of a new contract, it's not, far from it.

For me, despite being a world class shot stopper (at times) he has always been so under par at the other equally important aspects of goalkeeping to be considered anywhere near the best in the world.
It's actually baffled me for years how many people, including those paid fortunes to analyse the game, constantly overlook these other flaws and proclaim De Gea as one of the greatest ever.
My only conclusion is that we are now living in the 'YouTube clips' generation where most people don't actually sit and watch full games as much.
In these situations, it's easier for a highlight reel of good saves to mask over more technical sides of the game.
Fair enough, people have less time, I don't watch as many games as I used to either, apart from Utd matches, which I always make an effort to watch (as painful as it is right now).
As I said, anyone who knows even a little about the game and regularly watched Utd over the years will surely have noted the amount of goals we have conceded as a direct result of De Gea's inability to come out off his line and command HIS box.
It's not as if the recent goals conceded against Everton and Man City are one offs, this has been happening week in week out since the day he signed for the club, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in.
Another problem for us when it comes to stats etc., is that goals like the ones conceded against City/Everton don't necessarily get recorded as a direct goalkeeping error because you have to look a bit deeper than the clearly obvious recent blunder against Watford, to notice it.
My point being, there has been literally dozens of goals over the years we've conceded like that but yet they don't get recorded as goalkeeping errors.
As I said, when this is factored in, it really is truly baffling to me how De Gea is put up on a pedestal as one of the greatest keepers ever, and our saviour the past decade.

On that note of him being our 'saviour', what did we/he actually achieve in this time?
Is anyone really that bothered about finishing 6th instead of 10th?
So these 4/5 seasons when he was our talisman, our player of the year and saviour (apparantley)
What exactly did we achieve apart from mediocrity?
Is that his level then?
The biggest thing we did do in this era was win the Europa lg (and more importantly claim a champions league place because of it) and he had no part in that at all, Romero played.
Even during the David Moyes era, he let us down at the most crucial moment with a horrific mistake against Sunderland in the league Cup semi final, we were seconds away from the final and he gifted Phil Bardsley an equaliser with an absolute howler.
I personally don't care that much about the league Cup and I'm not for one second suggesting that this was the sole reason David Moyes failed, but still, we would have played Man City in the final and who knows what could have happened.
It certainly would have been a huge moment for David Moyes, having never won a trophy, but De Gea denied him that by bottling it when it mattered.
You can throw in pretty much his entire Spain career as another elite level failure (difference being they had the brains to address the situation).

The last year, under Solskjaer, was the first time in a long time that we were gathering any momentum and doing it by playing good attacking football, but both in the last two games, and last year when our unbeaten run ended at Arsenal, that momentum has been killed as a direct result of poor goalkeeping by De Gea.
Those mistakes were a massive reason we didn't qualify for the champions league last year and are a massive reason we are not just two points behind 4th place Chelsea right now (all momentum to put pressure on them after their blip is completely gone now).
We can't afford another five years of this.

It's now or never for me, if we want to give ourselves the best chance of getting back to where we should be then I'm sorry but De Gea needs to be replaced now.
Obviously realising this in the summer (as many of us did) would have been much better and we would have saved ourselves quite a few quid, but what's done is done, it can't be changed now, we'll just have to take the financial hit, in many ways we deserve it for being so shortsighted.

In reality, I know this isn't going to happen, I can see what's actually going to happen coming a mile off.
We'll stick with him and then the next time he makes even a half decent save, that save will be replayed all over the media as if it's some sort of proof that the doubters/haters were wrong.
Fast forward a few weeks and when it really matters again, hell make another 'uncharacteristic' blunder that 'you just don't see from top keepers like De Gea'.
It's the same cycle that's been happening for ten years.
If indeed, this situation continues and we continue to not even attempt to fix it, then we deserve all the mid-table mediocrity we get.

Happy Christmas fellow Red Devils.
I said these things since 2 years, nobody believed or backed me in this

Because I did not see any particular ability in him, only great instinctive reflexes in some situation, the no turning point has been against portugal in 2018, destroyed defenitely his confidence.

Most of his mistakes are for lack of focus/concentration, for this kind of things there can be hundreds of reason...

Last edited:

berbasloth4

a bit of man management is major needed here too. in 98/99 schmeichel was making mistakes due to fatigue so sir alex sent him on holiday.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah and i meant what i said.
Vds was in constant communication with his back 4. Rio even said this that the keeper can see the whole pitch and his organisation is key.
On top of that he also had a far better command of his area to as opposed to de gea who is rooted to his line.
Whats pure stupidity is denying this.
I can recall Manuel Neuer saying exactly the same thing in an interview: he is further back than everyone else, has a better overview of the pitch than his defenders, and constantly communicates with his backline to help them to anticipate and react.

UncleBob

I can recall Manuel Neuer saying exactly the same thing in an interview: he is further back than everyone else, has a better overview of the pitch than his defenders, and constantly communicates with his backline to help them to anticipate and react.
link.

Oldyella

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...manuel-neuer-germany-bayern-munich-goalkeeper

Relevant bit, not an exact quote from Nueur but more from an article about him.

Yet shot stopping, which was once the hallmark of a proficient goalkeeper, is now a bare-minimum requirement. The 21st-century keeper also needs to organise the back line and set-piece defence, command the box on crosses, disrupt opposing attacks outside the box and initiate his team’s attack.
Comfort on the ball with both feet is mandatory, as is the ability to play passes to moving targets over short and long distances, with your feet and with an overhand throw. What’s more, the strategic trend of extreme defensive pressing all over the field means goalkeepers often need to make themselves available as pressure-release valves for defenders needing to get rid of the ball.

UncleBob

Don't have one. If you think I'm making this up, your problem.
Yeah, its usually someone elses problem, isnt it, because it sure as feck cant be that you’re not remembering something correctly.

thepolice123

One thing I can't stand is pundits are already talking about things like floating crosses, physical in the box and shooting at every opportunity whenever teams are up against us. This is such a primitive and ridiculous strategy and basically highlights why English football is so backwards.

I know he is going through a bad patch of form with the occassional blunder but he will still deal with those easily.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, its usually someone elses problem, isnt it, because it sure as feck cant be that you’re not remembering something correctly.
Okay, you've triggered me into a Google search. As far as I understood it, the question was the role of keepers in defensive organization, their communication with the backline, and how being the deepest positioned player factors into that. Here's what I could come up with:
Q: What are goalkeepers better at compared to outfield players?

Neuer: You simply have to talk more than an outfield player. You've got the whole pitch in front of you, you can orchestrate like no one else, you've got a better view of the game than the coach! Normally, the coach should stand behind my goal.

https://www.fitforfun.de/sport/manuel-neuer-in-mir-brodelt-es-90-minuten-237386.html
I'm the only player who can see all other 21 players on the pitch. That's why I can influence the team the best. But acoustically I naturally can't reach everyone. That's one of the reasons I stand relatively high, to at least reach the back four and the two defensive midfielders with my voice - which doesn't always work out.

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/f...07565.html?printPagedArticle=true#pageIndex_2
But my job goes beyond shotstopping. I have to orchestrate the defense, so that it's positioned properly and shifts properly.

https://www.bundesliga.com/de/bundesliga/news/gute-laune-trotz-zweier-patzer-_0000241682.jsp
I'm always on the move and talk a lot to the teammates in front of me. After all, it's my responsibility that we're positioned well defensively.

https://www.11freunde.de/interview/manuel-neuer-ueber-den-bvb-motivation-und-john-mcenroe
DFB.de: You have stated that you're responsible for [your team's] defensive organisation. How far does this responsibility go? Up to the back four? Into defensive midfield? Even further?

Neuer: I try to intervene into the game as much as possible, to communicate and orchestrate. Who I can reach partly depends on the volume level and atmosphere in the stadium. If it's very loud, and I make out a mistake far up the pitch, I try to get through to the centerbacks, so they can pass on the information. Then we play Chinese whispers.

DFB.de: So you say: Shift to the left. And the message arriving up front is: Shift to the right?

Neuer: That can happen. (laughs) No, it works for the most part. My task is to help the team as much as possible. I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the game. I know how our game is supposed to work, I know what we want. All the more so, it's my duty to intervene and correct if something is wrong with our organization.

https://www.dfb.de/news/detail/neuer-defensivverhalten-weiter-perfektionieren-46671/
There have been plenty more statements like that over the years, but they're mostly variations of the ones above, so that should be enough. Going by statements from other keepers and goalkeeping coaches, it's also pretty clear to me that this is nothing specific to Neuer, but standard demands for modern goalkeepers.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Okay, you've triggered me into a Google search. As far as I understood it, the question was the role of keepers in defensive organization, their communication with the backline, and how being the deepest positioned player factors into that. Here's what I could come up with:
There have been plenty more statements like that over the years, but they're mostly variations of the ones above, so that should be enough. Going by statements from other keepers and goalkeeping coaches, it's also pretty clear to me that this is nothing specific to Neuer, but standard demands for modern goalkeepers.
*mic drop*

arthurka

We also had an Henderson as an option too anyway in the summer, as I said at the time, it has to be up there with the most embarrassing contracts ever handed out in world football (only matched by some of our other deals of course).
Up there with the Rooney's catastrophic contact.

izec

Giving De Gea that contract was funny. Giving Ole the permanent contract the same. I get buying players that are finished or dont turn it around here as hoped, like Sanchez, Schweinsteiger or Falcao, it can happen, informations are missing and we seem to go away from that model.

But not seeing the decline or general requirements of your own players or staff is peak United 2019. If you are run by Ed and clueless managers, no wonder they shell out contracts to declining/finished players.

When he didnt want to extend his contract with a year to go, i was saying we should sell him, make a quick buck and move on. Then once it dragged on and his from went to shit, let him run down his contract if you couldnt sell. Let that contract on normal wages on the table, if he signs fine, if not then goodbye. It would have been easier to sell him and he wouldnt be untouchable. To sign him on 350k-400k wages is ridiculous after his shitshow last year. When he signed, plenty of posters were happy, but him regaining his form wasnt a given. That is what we see now. The risk was too high and the signs were on the wall last season. Now everything is forgotten, we got a midtable GK sitting on superstar wages and he is undroppable. Nobody takes responsibility for this shitshow. Both Ed and Ole should be looking hard in the mirror and realising that they shouldnt be in a position, where they decide on things like this at United. Both are clueless and inept. We are run like a fecking charity.

Last edited:
Man Utd 4:1 Newcastle

Paul_Scholes18

No talk about him today at all? Had pretty much nothing to do. I can't remember them having any corners or freekicks even that put him under pressure.
Can't expect him to save the goal, but peak De Gea might have done it.

Burnley away should be a bigger test though. Maybe a good game to play Romero in at the moment.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/peter-schmeichel-david-de-gea-17476283

Im not letting this kill the mood after a good win yesterday but at the same time I think this needs discussing.

I love you Peter Schmeichel but you are talking absolute jibberish here, "last time De Gea made a mistake before the Watford game was 2011" apparently.
Do you even watch Man Utd matches anymore then Pete?

I get that football is all about opinions but, as I said, that is just absolute garbage and, more importantly, factually wrong.

I also get that you're trying to be a good ambassador for the club and trying to be positive, but by spouting absolute garbage like this, you're not helping anyone and it's actually insulting to those of us that actually do watch the team week in week out.

In fact, I remember you gave pretty much the same interview in May last year after another spait of "uncharacteristic mistakes" from De Gea.
How many more before you call it as it is?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/peter-schmeichel-david-de-gea-17476283

Im not letting this kill the mood after a good win yesterday but at the same time I think this needs discussing.

I love you Peter Schmeichel but you are talking absolute jibberish here, "last time De Gea made a mistake before the Watford game was 2011" apparently.
Do you even watch Man Utd matches anymore then Pete?

I get that football is all about opinions but, as I said, that is just absolute garbage and, more importantly, factually wrong.

I also get that you're trying to be a good ambassador for the club and trying to be positive, but by spouting absolute garbage like this, you're not helping anyone and it's actually insulting to those of us that actually do watch the team week in week out.

In fact, I remember you gave pretty much the same interview in May last year after another spait of "uncharacteristic mistakes" from De Gea.
How many more before you call it as it is?
:lol: Account dedicated just to shit on De Gea. Must be new low on Caf.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Damn it, I forgot the plan was to keep ignoring the teams problems and continue to hand out hideous contracts.
That's the way forward of course, kicking myself now.

All aboard the mid-table mediocrity train.

roonster09

Scout
Damn it, I forgot the plan was to keep ignoring the teams problems and continue to hand out hideous contracts.
That's the way forward of course, kicking myself now.

All aboard the mid-table mediocrity train.
Yeah he is the reason for midtable mediocrity :houllier:

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
If ao
Yeah he is the reason for midtable mediocrity :houllier:
If you bothered to read some of my posts before commenting then you would see that I have repeatedly went out of my way to point out that I know he's not our only problem (having the likes of Andreas Perriera and Ashley Young anywhere near the squad is obviously a much greater concern).

However, the way people just skip over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted now (because we're paying him more) makes this a big worry in my opinion.
In this context, talking jibberish that is also factually wrong like Peter Schmeichel did yesterday is not helpful at all, it's the classic case of thinking just ignoring a problem is going to make it magically dissappear, newsflash, it isn't.

It's a common theory (rightly or wrongly) that in order to build a successful side then you start from the back, so the first thing you should analyse is your defence.
To me, the goalkeeper is arguably the most important part of any defensive Unit so if we're constantly conceding goals because of the same issue (the keepers inability to command his box) then don't you think that's a bit of a concern? Genuinely?

roonster09

Scout
If ao

If you bothered to read some of my posts before commenting then you would see that I have repeatedly went out of my way to point out that I know he's not our only problem (having the likes of Andreas Perriera and Ashley Young anywhere near the squad is obviously a much greater concern).

However, the way people just skip over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted now (because we're paying him more) makes this a big worry in my opinion.
In this context, talking jibberish that is also factually wrong like Peter Schmeichel did yesterday is not helpful at all, it's the classic case of thinking just ignoring a problem is going to make it magically dissappear, newsflash, it isn't.

It's a common theory (rightly or wrongly) that in order to build a successful side then you start from the back, so the first thing you should analyse is your defence.
To me, the goalkeeper is arguably the most important part of any defensive Unit so if we're constantly conceding goals because of the same issue (the keepers inability to command his box) then don't you think that's a bit of a concern? Genuinely?
I would have taken your posts seriously if you had same involvement in all threads, looking at your post history it's just pathetic. Almost every post is just to shit on De Gea.

He had declined and a problem now, now till end of 2017-18 season. He was by far the best GK in the league.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I would have taken your posts seriously if you had same involvement in all threads, looking at your post history it's just pathetic. Almost every post is just to shit on De Gea.

He had declined and a problem now, now till end of 2017-18 season. He was by far the best GK in the league.
Well, as I said, football is all about opinions, I've always thought he was hugely overrated, if you disagree then that's fine, I'll happily agree to disagree.
Im more concerned about the present

The number one reason why I have so many posts about this is because the same mistakes keep happening and they keep getting swept under the carpet by our fans and the likes of Peter Schmeichel.

For instance, I also used to think Cristiano Rondo was massively overrated for his first one or two seasons here.
I thought he had bags of skill but his end product was poor in terms of goals/assists.
Well he well and truly shut me up about that and I'm delighted he did.
The same applies here, I'd love nothing more than De Gea to ram it down my throat by coming out and commanding his area showing who's boss and justifying being the highest paid keeper in the world, but it's just not happening.
He hasn't kept a clean sheet now in 14 games, if you can't see how that is a massive factor in how we're currently a mid-table side them I'm sorry but you're part of the problem.

The reason I've gone into overdrive about it recently is because I was hoping the club wouldn't have made the mistake of handing out that hideous contract, but they did.

There was so many people on here telling me that once he signed that new contract he'd suddenly become the best keeper in the world again.
That theory was wrong on so many levels that I don't even have time to cover them all.
All I can say again, is its part of the reason why we are were we are.
If you're happy with where we are right now then fair play to you.

roonster09

Scout
If you're happy with where we are right now then fair play to you
Couldn't have been more happier, I mean this is just dream world for me. ManUtd fighting to stay in 6th position is what dreams are made of. :lol:

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Couldn't have been more happier, I mean this is just dream world for me. ManUtd fighting to stay in 6th position is what dreams are made of. :lol:
Look, as I said, I don't want to kill the mood after what actually was a good performance yesterday but I feel as though the Schmeichel comments were relevant here.

I genuinely don't see the point of these club ambassadors getting paid to go around the world telling everyone how great our players are.
I get being positive and optimistic but don't just insult the fans by talking utter tripe.
Give me a Keano or Eric, calling a spade a spade any day of the week.

Look at how Chris Wilder dealt with Dean Henderson in the exact same scenario earlier this season.
He called a spade a spade and said it wasn't good enough if he wants to become a top class goalkeeper.
Since then he's been much better.

Im not saying this approach will definitely work with De Gea because everyone is different but it's pretty clear that Ole coming out after every mistake and saying that it's "out of character" and he's still "unquestionably the best keeper in the world" (backed up with jibberish like that from Schmeichel yesterday) isn't working, so why on earth shouldn't we try a different approach?

arthurka

This bullshit needs to stop, it is time for the manager to call him out on these mistakes. He has been well out of form for over a year.

Gythio

He’s in terrible form at the moment, and his undroppable status isn’t helping him.

I’d very much like to see Romero in goal for a couple of PL games, in a weird way i feel more comfortable with him in goal than DDG right now.

A little competition for the starting spot should wake him up.

Burnley 0:2 Man Utd

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Cracking performance that will go under the radar. He was rushing off his line, claiming corners, and made that quality save with an awkward skidding ball.

A well deserved clean sheet.

432JuanMata

Cracking performance that will go under the radar. He was rushing off his line, claiming corners, and made that quality save with an awkward skidding ball.

Too be fair he still has been good this season it’s just he set a high standard for himself over the last 4 years and he’s been much lower than that for the last 8-9 months. He was very good tonight

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A clean sheet and a couple of punches from crosses will do well for his confidence. Only had to make one save and it made me nervous. There was absolutely no reason to go with one hand on that. His technique is so questionable at times and this was one of them. You use one hand when you need to be at full stretch. Bardsley's shot should have been easily handled with one hand and he made it more difficult than it needed to be. In the end, it's a clean sheet though, so that should do him some good...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

The only thing awkward on that shot was the way De Gea saved it. No need to go with one hand. If he uses two hands it's a routine save. He was much better on commanding his area today though...

massey

A clean sheet and a couple of punches from crosses will do well for his confidence. Only had to make one save and it made me nervous. There was absolutely no reason to go with one hand on that. His technique is so questionable at times and this was one of them. You use one hand when you need to be at full stretch. Bardsley's shot should have been easily handled with one hand and he made it more difficult than it needed to be. In the end, it's a clean sheet though, so that should do him some good...
That shot was fizzed in No idea what you mean He got a great hand to it and got it out of the danger area ie for a corner.

Paul_Scholes18

Our third clean sheet so that was nice. One great save, but that was all he really had to do. His passing was pretty good though and he did deal with the corners better too. Let us hope this gives some confidence for the next game. We all remember what did happen against Arsenal last time. It was De Gea costing us top 4 pretty much that started with that game. Time for a clean sheet this time around and a good performance from De Gea.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The only thing awkward on that shot was the way De Gea saved it. No need to go with one hand. If he uses two hands it's a routine save. He was much better on commanding his area today though...
Oh come on. There's no pleasing some when it comes to DDG now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Apart from poor distribution he did ok. Nothing I wouldn't have expected from most prem keepers.

meninred

Why doesn't Ole give Romero a run..now was good time with the fixtures and degea can have a break

Welbeckham

I really dislike him, but glad to see him actually come out of his line twice, which is twice more than in last two years all together. Also not panicking as much as usually with his passing. Decent performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.