Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

Glad to see him easily deal with the primitive tactics of Burnley. They tried to unsettle him in the box and took potshots whenever they can, its almost like they focused their efforts entirely on forcing a DDG blunder that they forgot how to play football.

This man already went through the baptism of fire in his first season here as a 20 year old under similar circumstances. He's already shown that he's mentally tough enough to bounce back from a howler.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Glad to see him easily deal with the primitive tactics of Burnley. They tried to unsettle him in the box and took potshots whenever they can, its almost like they focused their efforts entirely on forcing a DDG blunder that they forgot how to play football.

This man already went through the baptism of fire in his first season here as a 20 year old under similar circumstances. He's already shown that he's mentally tough enough to bounce back from a howler.
Did he? There were a couple of times during the match any goalie from our past would have come out strongly, dominating his box and punched the feck out of the ball away.

Instead, De Gea just waits for a shot to save.

If he had to go against the likes of Duncan Ferguson, he would quit and call home to his mummy instead.

I think De Gea is a fantastic shot-stopper but i dont think he has improved much from say five years ago. He isnt a dominant goalie as in goalie's who look at their box as their own. Him coming out for a cross or being aggressive around his box is as rare as a full solar eclipse.

thepolice123

Did he? There were a couple of times during the match any goalie from our past would have come out strongly, dominating his box and punched the feck out of the ball away.

If he had to go against the likes of Duncan Ferguson, he would quit and call home to his mummy instead.

I think De Gea is a fantastic shot-stopper but i dont think he has improved much from say five years ago. He isnt a dominant goalie as in goalie's who look at their box as their own. Him coming out for a cross or being aggressive around his box is as rare as a full solar eclipse.
He came out and punched the ball away a few times and made the cruical save when needed.

This is his 9th season in the PL. You think he would have lasted that long and made it to team of the year 5 times if he can be exposed by big physical forwards?

He was the highest ranked GK in the Ballon d'or list 2 years ago. So not exactly 5 years. And name me any GK who improved after being the best in the world. I'm waiting.

Welbeckham

why would anyone dislike De Gea? The guy has carried United countless times
First thing I saw when I ckicked on this page. Why?
It’s not personally against him, but I just don’t like his style of goalkeeping, he usually doesn’t do enough for me. He is limited to shot-stopping, doesn’t have the courage, confidence and awareness to defend a larger area.

He seems a bit soft mentally and physically, not commanding, fearless and slightly arrogant like a great goalkeeper should be. And his distribution is average at best.

I think the whole thing about him carrying us is a bit more complicated than that. We’ve mostly been fine against decent sides with Romero playing, it’s no coincidence.

I think the big new contract for De Gea was a mistake, I’d have been happy if we sold him to Madrid back in the day, now there’s probably not much interest in him, so we’re obviously stuck with him.

edgar allan

It’s not personally against him, but I just don’t like his style of goalkeeping, he usually doesn’t do enough for me. He is limited to shot-stopping, doesn’t have the courage, confidence and awareness to defend a larger area.

He seems a bit soft mentally and physically, not commanding, fearless and slightly arrogant like a great goalkeeper should be. And his distribution is average at best.

I think the whole thing about him carrying us is a bit more complicated than that. We’ve mostly been fine against decent sides with Romero playing, it’s no coincidence.

I think the big new contract for De Gea was a mistake, I’d have been happy if we sold him to Madrid back in the day, now there’s probably not much interest in him, so we’re obviously stuck with him.
You can suggest a narrative about his playing style and lack of presence on crosses but to try to deny that he didn't carry us for a good 4 seasons at least is just nonsense.
Romero has played the cup games against weaker teams, that is a poor argument.

Paul_Scholes18

why would anyone dislike De Gea? The guy has carried United countless times
Maybe due to all his errors recently and him also demanding stupid wages undeserved. A bit like with Rooney although Rooney had actually won a lot with us.
Can't say most people like his personality either. If you are from Spain you might dislike him more too after a terrible world cup from him.
Everyone probably loves his first season with LVG though when he was insane. Although him saving us a CL spot didn't really make a difference when we got knocked out of the group the following season.

TsuWave

Romero is a decent back-up that’s all. De Gea is one of the best keepers of his generation.

Romero has spent most of his career skating the bench. The quality of opposition he’s faced when he’s had to step in is nowhere near De Gea’s, and doing ok/decently against EL and cup fodder teams once every month is not the same as consistently carrying your team like De Gea has done in multiple occasions.

I think only United fans would even imply something as nuts as Romero > De Gea

Last edited:

TsuWave

Maybe due to all his errors recently and him also demanding stupid wages undeserved.
Over the decade De Gea has probably been United’s best player. He has triaged the decline of this club. He’s also been the best or among the best keepers of the world in said decade, and clearly, the club found his wage demands justifiable. I’m not going to begrudge a player looking after their interests, especially because, as evidenced, the moment they have a dip in form, fans want you tossed to the bushes (rightly so. similarly, players are also right by looking after themselves).

Paul_Scholes18

Over the decade De Gea has probably been United’s best player. He has triaged the decline of this club. He’s also been the best or among the best keepers of the world in said decade, and clearly, the club found his wage demands justifiable. I’m not going to begrudge a player looking after their interests, especially because, as evidenced, the moment they have a dip in form, fans want you tossed to the bushes (rightly so. similarly, players are also right by looking after themselves).
De Geas form is a bit overhyped too. In his first season he did struggle initially. Picked up form, but we still conceded a lot even when we won the title.Not really impressive under Moyes as can be said about 90% of our squad that year.
Fantastic first season for LVG that made people call him best keeper in the world and Real wanted him. Then had a worse season after that even if we won the Fa cup. Interest died from Real after that.
Under Mourinho we won two cups, but it was Romero in goal for most of it. In the league we struggled even if De Gea did alright.
Second season he started very well and we did keep loads of clean sheet. Although started to go down during the second half of that season like the rest of our team.
Then 1.5 poor seasons from him with lots of errors.

Basically I would say 1.5-2 seasons with him playing at a top 3 keeper in the world level. Then a few good seasons.
He has lots of great games against Arsenal and Liverpool which helps the hype though since everyone is watching those games.
A bad game against Watford or Huddersfield is not something that people outside United will remember.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Conflating De Gea’s form with United being a garbage team.
Exactly. There's always a distinct lack of considering anything other than him when comparing to Alisson and Ederson, who have had way less to do.

Even if the 2 seasons as one of the best keepers in the world and multiple 'good' seasons is correct, what on earth are people complaining about?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The best Goalkeepers in the world don't just perform at domestic level, they also perform at International level and in Europe. De Gea for a period was a very good shot stopper in English competitions but was never the best in the world.

Paul_Scholes18

Exactly. There's always a distinct lack of considering anything other than him when comparing to Alisson and Ederson, who have had way less to do.

Even if the 2 seasons as one of the best keepers in the world and multiple 'good' seasons is correct, what on earth are people complaining about?
The complains are about the last 1.5-2 years. Under Mourinho and LVG he often saved us when we got totally destroyed by other sides.
Also complains about us spending so much on him with this last contract. I complained about the Rooney contract too under Moyes.
Particular when we are not spending well enough in the market, but pay far too much on those we got.

Right now we are stuck with him so let us hope he perform very well. Last game was good so hope he can build on that with a clean sheet against Arsenal. He has two of his best games ever against Arsenal away, but also the error last season.

Nickelodeon

Feck you guys for criticising DDG, for once he’s lost a bit of form.

Where was the wisdom that he’s not great or is “only a good shot-stopper” when he was our Player of the season for us 4 years in a row. And that was only a couple of years back. He has been in 5 PFA team of the seasons. Suddenly the revisionism that he wasn’t really ever that good.

Yes, he’s had a rough year but if anyone has earned the support of the United fans, it’s De Gea. I cannot recall a single United player who has single-handedly won so many points.

Now there are people who dislike him. Shameful really and really a poor representation of the fanbase.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

I love the guy, but he has stayed where he is comfortable and the club also probably used that point to convince him to stay. I hoped he would too, but his confidence and ambitiousness took a hit at the same time and he probably got a bit complacent or unmotivated to further improve under these conditions.

He probably could have learned to come out with his knee very high or some other trick to get the respect in the box. Just to build enough of an edge to once in a while come out in the box with confidence. He does seem like a United guy so I will always back him, but I'm not against the idea of introducing Henderson next season. He is doing very well this season. How would De Gea react to just play in the CL/EL cups? Would be healthy competition either way.

Ed9

The best Goalkeepers in the world don't just perform at domestic level, they also perform at International level and in Europe. De Gea for a period was a very good shot stopper in English competitions but was never the best in the world.
He was easily the best in the world for years. Denying it doesn't change it. Fans just forget quickly because he's had a bad year. Fans being fans...

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Feck you guys for criticising DDG, for once he’s lost a bit of form.

Where was the wisdom that he’s not great or is “only a good shot-stopper” when he was our Player of the season for us 4 years in a row. And that was only a couple of years back. He has been in 5 PFA team of the seasons. Suddenly the revisionism that he wasn’t really ever that good.

Yes, he’s had a rough year but if anyone has earned the support of the United fans, it’s De Gea. I cannot recall a single United player who has single-handedly won so many points.

Now there are people who dislike him. Shameful really and really a poor representation of the fanbase.
I can't speak for everyone but I and plenty of others on here predicted this downfall along time ago.

Even De Gea's biggest fan could hardly argue that he's ever been anything more than mediocre at other, equally important aspects, of goalkeeping apart from shot-stopping.

To some, this meant he could never really be considered as the 'best' and also there was a concern that once those shot-stopping skills diminished (which sadly looks to be the case now) we would be left with a pretty average keeper on sky high wages (which isn't good for the club no matter what way you look at it).

As I've said many times, the game is all about opinions, that's why we love it, so just because someone has a different view of the game to you, it doesn't make them any less of a fan.

I would argue that turning a blind eye to mediocrity is the number one reason why we end up with bang average players on astronomical wages (to be clear, I'm not just talking about De Gea here) and, in turn, that's more damaging to the club than actually critiquing players.
However as I said, that's just my opinion, if you disagree then I wouldn't consider it 'shameful', as you put it.

Paul_Scholes18

He was easily the best in the world for years. Denying it doesn't change it. Fans just forget quickly because he's had a bad year. Fans being fans...
Easily best in the world is going over the top don't you think. Neuer, Navas, Allison, Oblak, Ter Stegen has performed at a very high level for years and won big things. Lloris and Courtois has been great too in the same league with Lloris being very good in the world cup.

He has been near the top in the past having spells of form being insanly good, but it has all been in the league and Fa cup when we won it.
He probably has the best highlights with top saves, but has mixed it with weaknesses in other areas.

Ed9

Easily best in the world is going over the top don't you think. Neuer, Navas, Allison, Oblak, Ter Stegen has performed at a very high level for years and won big things. Lloris and Courtois has been great too in the same league with Lloris being very good in the world cup.

He has been near the top in the past having spells of form being insanly good, but it has all been in the league and Fa cup when we won it.
He probably has the best highlights with top saves, but has mixed it with weaknesses in other areas.
You're right easily is over the top. Still I don't get how quickly can our own fans write him off after saving us year after year.

Paul_Scholes18

You're right easily is over the top. Still I don't get how quickly can our own fans write him off after saving us year after year.
I think people are just frustrated with him this year. Had he made the errors for Spain people would have seen it differently.
Let us just hope he can find top form again and improve in the air.
Although Romero might deserve to get a chance if not.

El Jefe

The truth but many won't like it.

Ed9

I think people are just frustrated with him this year. Had he made the errors for Spain people would have seen it differently.
Let us just hope he can find top form again and improve in the air.
Although Romero might deserve to get a chance if not.
I'm sure he'll be back, he's class.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Agree.

We were blinded by his shot-stopping because the poor bastard was basically the last line of defence who was constantly bombarded and he dealt with it impressively.

But in reality, he only has one impressive aspect to his game; shot-stopping. It's the most important for a keeper but when every other facet of his keeping is piss-poor then he can't be in contention for best keeper in the world.

- Communication with his backline is non-existent.
- Command of the area, he has none.
- He is extremely weak in the air.
- His passing is atrocious.
- He has such a weak personality that he lost the captaincy after what, a month?
- Penalties are a harsh area to criticise a keeper but when De Gea is as useless as he is with them, he deserves it. He should've fecking fluked a few more by now.

sugar_kane

Best shot-stopper in the world but a part of me thinks that for this team to move forward an upgrade to a more rounded keeper might be necessary.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Relax , contract was extended only for 3 years and its expiring in 2023. By then, we will know if Henderson is ready to take over.

Until then, we will use our budget to fix other positions and I dont think GK would be a priority before that anways.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Thought it was a really encouraging performance the other night, especially the way he came out and helped the defence by punching clear a few corners.

More of the same please Dave, we've been thrown yet another top four lifeline today and we wont get many more, massive game.

Arsenal 2:0 Man Utd

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His skewed clearance in the first half was by far his worst mistake of the game imo.

I don't particularly blame him for their second. It's not like his aerial weaknesses were exposed as he floundered under another corner or anything like that.

Instead he was forced into a close-range, reaction save after a clutter of our inept defenders allowed a low, near post corner to make its way through to him. Then his parry away bounced off one of our statuesque CBs, who was standing in front of him literally doing nothing.

If it's an error on DDG's part then it's a error literally any other keeper in the league could easily make if their defenders let them down that badly.

That skewed clearance was bad though.

Based Adnan

He's good for at least 1 mistake a game these days. Best paid goalkeeper in the world.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We’ve got both Romero and Henderson. We can’t feck this succession up, can we? So many cup games upcoming for Romero to stake his claim.

el3mel

He's far best his peak unfortunately. Very inconsistent, his saves aren't that often and his mistakes are happening a lot. Ridiculous to say that after renewing his contract with such giga salary but it's time to start thinking about phasing him out and replacing him.

Hopefully we don't end up with a similar Rooney scenario who renewed his contract with giga salary then declined massively and we struggled to get rid of him. De Gea seems to be taking the same path.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Agree.

We were blinded by his shot-stopping because the poor bastard was basically the last line of defence who was constantly bombarded and he dealt with it impressively.

But in reality, he only has one impressive aspect to his game; shot-stopping. It's the most important for a keeper but when every other facet of his keeping is piss-poor then he can't be in contention for best keeper in the world.

- Communication with his backline is non-existent.
- Command of the area, he has none.
- He is extremely weak in the air.
- His passing is atrocious.

- He has such a weak personality that he lost the captaincy after what, a month?
- Penalties are a harsh area to criticise a keeper but when De Gea is as useless as he is with them, he deserves it. He should've fecking fluked a few more by now.
Yet, still somehow, people still don't think this is a huge factor in why literally every centre back we have signed since he became our keeper has struggled.
Being a good shot stopper (which is highly debatable now anyway) simply isn't going to compensate for the goals a keeper will let in if he's that bad at those other aspects of keeping.

To be clear, I'm not saying that it's all De Geas fault, some of these players have just been bad signings but the common denominator throughout is the keeper.
Its a pretty big coincidence that we sign these highly rated defenders because that are playing well elsewhere, they come here and struggle, and then fade away or in some cases, such as Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling, leave and look good again.

Fair enough if it was one or two but, as I said, we're talking about literally every centre back that has played regularly with De Gea.

We could sign Van Djik and Koulibaly and we'd still struggle to keep clean sheets if De Gea was in goal IMO.

Our response: Make him the highest paid keeper in the world.

In other words, we deserve to be were we are.

izec

He just slotted in nicely, with our two Cbs and Shaw. Now they can all blame each other equally.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
He's far best his peak unfortunately. Very inconsistent, his saves aren't that often and his mistakes are happening a lot. Ridiculous to say that after renewing his contract with such giga salary but it's time to start thinking about phasing him out and replacing him.

Hopefully we don't end up with a similar Rooney scenario who renewed his contract with giga salary then declined massively and we struggled to get rid of him. De Gea seems to be taking the same path.
There was plenty of us trying to point this out before we handed out that contract but apparently we were all either clueless or had a personal agenda against the lad.

mu4c_20le

It's crazy that some were blaming him in the match thread over the second goal, they must have dodgy streams. It was a header at almost point blank, he did well to react to it, and was unlucky it fell straight to an unmarked Arsenal player.

Status
Not open for further replies.