Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
His distribution was a disgrace. And then Pope makes this great long throw in the 2nd half to start a fast break for Burnley and I'm screaming "why doesn't De Gea ever do that." He always holds onto the ball forever until the opportunity for a counter is completely gone.
Precisely, one of the very few assets we have in the squad is raw pace, which could be used to great effect on the break, but De Gea simply doesn't have either the footballing intelligence or ability to be able to get on board with this.
It's baffling how our coaching staff aren't calling him out on this.

Man City 0:1 Man Utd

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His best game in quite a while. Good saves and strong claims. Two very good moments coming off his line, the one from Aguero in particular, didn't lunge, just made sure the ball didn't go past him. Did well at showing Sterling away from goal as well.

Two typical De Gea saves early on too. Solid.

Paul_Scholes18

Finally looking like the old De Gea. Even better on the corners too.
Hopefully he can keep this form up and improve on set pieces.

Sylar

This is what we wanna see more of. Not just the shot stopping, but the coming out to claim the ball, coming off his line to close down angles.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Can't believe some people wanted to see him go.
Still do, surely one decent performance (and fair play he was brilliant last night apart from his distribution) doesn't make up for the absolute shambles of the past 18 months, which was a huge factor in costing us a place in the champions league last season and this.
Surely there's a long way to go before we start hero worshipping again.

Last edited:

meamth

Still do, surely one decent performance (and fair play he was brilliant last night) doesn't make up for the absolute shambles of the past 18 months, which was a huge factor in costing us a place in the champions league last season and this.
Fair enough.

But last night was imperious, David Silva held back when facing De Gea.
Was it fear, or he really did feck up though? Hilarious.

evil_geko

Today's fans I guess, no patience, everyone forgets what you've done in the past, only last few months matter, you go through a little of bad form and everyone wants you out, knee jerk masters.

edgar allan

Still do, surely one decent performance (and fair play he was brilliant last night apart form his distribution) doesn't make up for the absolute shambles of the past 18 months, which was a huge factor in costing us a place in the champions league last season and this.
Serious, serious overexaggeration of his form.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
One of his best games ever. Besides the reflexive saves that we've come to expect of him he came off his line when needed, which was his major weakness.

I'm one of them. His form has been terrible for a while and, unless he's the absolute best in the world, putting in performances like yesterdays every week, the wages he's on can't be justified.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Today's fans I guess, no patience, everyone forgets what you've done in the past, only last few months matter, you go through a little of bad form and everyone wants you out, knee jerk masters.
I agree with you 100% about a lack of patience with modern society (in relation to everything not just football).
However in this instance I strongly disagree, in fact I think it's the opposite, too much blind loyalty.
We've had over 18 months of absolutely woeful form here, costing us goal after goal in big games, at crucial moments, a lot of which where a huge factor in us missing out on top 4 (that's a fact by the way, I don't get why people can't accept it).
Thats not to mention the 'not so obvious' errors when he stays glued to his line, that have cost us so many goals, particularly from corners/crosses.
Yet, he gets away with it, it doesn't seem to matter how many errors he makes under Ole, he still comes out after every game and claims that he's still unquestionably the best keeper in the world.
In fact, in this period of shambolic form, the only reaction the club has had is to give him a massive new contract.

Now, he has ONE decent game, and everyone goes over the top about it and he's suddenly worth the hideous wages we're paying him.

As I said, far from being impatient, I actually think it's the opposite in this instance.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Maybe coincidence but he's come on to his game again since the new goalkeeping coach(Craig Mawson) came in, and although he still doesn't dominate the box as much as we'd like he's been more aggressive overall, genuinely thought he was gonna spark the Referee out at Anfield which was refreshing.

Man Utd 0:0 Wolves

Alemar

Another clean sheet. Perhaps not that many dangerous moments he faced, but at least didn’t make any mistakes and saved what there were to save.

Alemar

Very good performance and a clean sheet.
Yes, perhaps he didn't face a shot on target, but it's not a de Gea's fault, whereas clean sheet is registered.

frookydinho

His save from Mounts shot looked ridiculous (the one where the ref gave a handball). I wanted to see another angle of it

kundalini

Found some advanced goal-keeping stats done by StatsBomb.

Post shot xG minus goals conceded. This looks at the expected goals value of shots on target, ignoring blocked shots and off-target shots. A positive value indicates the keeper has conceded fewer goals than expected from those shots that were on target. Only 3 years of data available. During Mourinho's 2nd season, De Gea was + 11.5, so he conceded 11.5 goals fewer than you'd expect given the shots on target that he faced. Fabianski and Nick Pope have achieved similar figures once, Hugo Lloris also had one season about + 10. At the other end of the spectrum, Begovic - 8.8 last seaon for Bournemouth, Joe Hart was - 8 at West Ham in only 19 starts (- 4 at Burnley again in only 19 starts), Ben Foster - 6.6 the season West Brom got relegated. Kasper Schmeichel had one poor season - 6.4. Last season, surprisingly, De Gea was + 2.1 (which placed him 6th best for shot stopping, as far as I can tell)

This season, only looking at keeper with most appearances for his PL team:

Not doing so well:

Pope - 4.8
Kepa - 4.2
Patricio - 3.0
De Gea - 2.1
Pickford - 1.5
Ederson - 0.6

Doing better than expected:

Heaton + 1.0
Gazzaniga + 1.2
Fabianski + 1.3
Krul + 2.5
Ramsdale + 2.9
Schmeichel + 3.3
McCarthy + 4.0
Foster + 4.4
Leno + 4.7
Ryan + 5.4
Alisson + 5.4
Henderson + 5.7
Guaita + 6.3
Dubravka + 6.9

Figures for last season, again keeper with most appearances (2 teams managed to split the games):

Rubbish:

Begovic - 8.8
Lossl - 5.8
Kepa - 4.7
Hart - 4.2 (in 19 starts)

Not very good:

Schmeichel - 3.2
Ryan - 3.0
Rico - 2.3
Hennessey - 2.1
Patricio - 2.1
McCarthy - 1.6
Etheridge - 0.7

Not too bad:

Heaton + 0.9
Pickford + 0.9
Guaita + 1.4
Dubravka + 1.5
Foster + 1.5
De Gea + 2.1 (I'm surprised by this, thought it would be worse)
Ederson + 2.2

Elite:

Alisson + 4.6
Leno + 7.7
Lloris + 10.3
Fabianski + 12.2

The problem for De Gea is that his stats for sweeper keeper (0.35 per 90 mins) and stopping crosses (5.2%) are both near the bottom of the range. When he isn't an elite shot stopper, he doesn't offer much else to justify his position in the team. A keeper like Ederson may not be great at making saves but he offers 0.99 sweeper keeper per 90 mins and stops 9.7% of crosses. Henderson 0.52 per 90 mins for sweeper keeper and 8.7% of crosses stopped. Nick Pope the highest I've noticed so far for both stats, 1.15 sweeper keeper per 90 mins and 12.9% of crosses stopped.

Last edited:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Found some advanced goal-keeping stats done by StatsBomb.

Post shot xG minus goals conceded. This looks at the expected goals value of shots on target, ignoring blocked shots and off-target shots. A positive value indicates the keeper has conceded fewer goals than expected from those shots that were on target. Only 3 years of data available. During Mourinho's 2nd season, De Gea was + 11.5, so he conceded 11.5 goals fewer than you'd expect given the shots on target that he faced. Fabianski and Nick Pope have achieved similar figures once, Hugo Lloris also had one season about + 10. At the other end of the spectrum Joe Hart was - 8 at West Ham in only 19 starts (- 4 at Burnley again in only 19 starts), Ben Foster - 6.6 the season West Brom got relegated. Kasper Schmeichel had one poor season - 6.4. Last season, surprisingly, De Gea was + 2.1

This season, only looking at keeper with most appearances for his PL team:

Not doing so well:

De Gea - 2.1
Ederson - 0.6
Pickford - 1.5
Patricio - 3.0
Kepa - 4.2
Pope - 4.8

Doing better than expected:

Heaton + 1.0
Gazzaniga + 1.2
Fabianski + 1.3
Krul + 2.5
Ramsdale + 2.9
Schmeichel + 3.3
McCarthy + 4.0
Foster + 4.4
Leno + 4.7
Ryan + 5.4
Alisson + 5.4
Henderson + 5.7
Guaita + 6.3
Dubravka + 6.9

The problem for De Gea is that his stats for sweeper keeper (0.35 per 90 mins) and stopping crosses (5.2%) are both near the bottom of the range. A keeper like Ederson may not be great at making saves but he offers 0.99 sweeper keeper per 90 mins and stops 9.7% of crosses. Henderson 0.52 per 90 mins for sweeper keeper and 8.7% of crosses stopped. Nick Pope the highest I've noticed so far for both stats, 1.15 sweeper keeper per 90 mins and 12.9% of crosses stopped.
Why are we discussing sweeper keepers? De Gea is not that kind of goalkeeper.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Why are we discussing sweeper keepers? De Gea is not that kind of goalkeeper.
That's a bit like saying why are we discussing goals coring with regards Emile Heskey, he's not that kind of player. That's probably true, but wouldn't we like him to be?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I really liked that save in the first half (well, the only real save of the game) — even though it shouldn't have been from that position, I felt that this shot was quite tricky.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Just seen the thread about De Gea being sold thread pop up again but am I alone in thinking he's been absolutely fine in 2020? He doesn't have many MOTM performances anymore but I can't remember the last time we'd actually require him to have one, we don't really get peppered with chances like we used to so he's not called into action as much.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just seen the thread about De Gea being sold thread pop up again but am I alone in thinking he's been absolutely fine in 2020? He doesn't have many MOTM performances anymore but I can't remember the last time we'd actually require him to have one, we don't really get peppered with chances like we used to so he's not called into action as much.
He's not been at his outstanding best but this entire season has certainly been a lot better than the nightmare end to last season. He's been unremarkable more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.