Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik.A

He's a top shotstopper, probably the best in the world but the most important attributes for a goalkeeper in a top club is distribution and command of your area. Unfortunately that cost us to much. He needs to be braver and not be glued to his line.

Reactions: Sultan

VanTastic_

He reminds me of Smalling a little bit, both players are very good at their respective job description, but these days being a good defender or keeper isn't enough, you have to be able to play with your feet, command your box, have good distribution, etc… and at this point in his career it seems highly unlikely that he'll be able to adapt his game to these demands sadly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Problems of being a gk or a CB: any error, doesn't matter how small it is, can lead to a certain goal.

Born2Lose

His distribution is terrible, what was he messing around at? He is often as not giving it anyway, just get on with it
This, if Ederson gets caught out doing that I'd forgive it, but De Gea just usually punts it aimlessly anyway.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
:lol: We've got Greenwood and Williams blooded in this season, next season Henderson and Laird should be the two we try to elevate.
Williams I'm still not sure on but the other three hopefully can kick on and become United regulars. Laird needs to catch a break from injuries which have set him back.

Devil may care

Williams I'm still not sure on but the other three hopefully can kick on and become United regulars. Laird needs to catch a break from injuries which have set him back.
Is Laird injured right now? I was hoping he might get a game on Thursday. It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with Garner and Levitt.

Tel074

Its a huge huge decision to be made in the summer by Ole of maybe by a new manager but I think it's getting to the time where Henderson comes into the thinking as number one next season .
Has anyone here seen Henderson playing regularly? What's he like with his feet ? For me this is a huge issue for DDG

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is Laird injured right now? I was hoping he might get a game on Thursday. It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with Garner and Levitt.
I think he should be back in training now, but I haven't been following the u23s closely in the last month due to other commitments so could be wrong. But it would be great to see him get a run out on Thursday.

ManchesterYoda

Romero should be given a chance. He's been a loyal no.2 for a long time and would be no.1 GK at most other clubs. De Gea should not be undroppable. No it's not a knee jerk reaction because De Gea made an error against Everton. I've wanted Romero to start in many previous games including against Everton, before he made the error. I don't think De Gea deserves to start based on how he's played over the past year. Romero does.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He reminds me of Smalling a little bit, both players are very good at their respective job description, but these days being a good defender or keeper isn't enough, you have to be able to play with your feet, command your box, have good distribution, etc… and at this point in his career it seems highly unlikely that he'll be able to adapt his game to these demands sadly.
You have always needed to command your box

Devil may care

I think he should be back in training now, but I haven't been following the u23s closely in the last month due to other commitments so could be wrong. But it would be great to see him get a run out on Thursday.
Hopefully as I feel AWB needs a rest and Dalot really hasn't grabbed any of the chances he's gotten this season.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There is so much needed to be a top keeper these days and De Gea only has one skill-set around world class level. Shot-stopping and even that is nowhere near what it once was.

Communication: Atrocious.

Command of the box: Non-existant.

Passing: Shambolic. I really wouldn't be surprised if he is worst in the league for long passes.

And a piss-weak mentality that saw him stripped of the captaincy in a matter of weeks.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Romero has the same amount of clean sheets this season as De Gea has. In 19 less apperances.
This nonsense again. Remind me again the teams Romero has played against?

Romero will ship double the goals if he was our number one. Today only De Gea made two world class save which I don't think Romero would have made.

He is having an average season, but this notion that he should not be our number 1 is not correct.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That was not a small error.
Didn't said it was. Just pointing that playing as a GK or CB requires players who take intelligent decisions. Unfortunately Dave seems to be only good at guessing the shot trajectory, but pretty much bellow average playing off the line.

kundalini

This nonsense again. Remind me again the teams Romero has played against?

Romero will ship double the goals if he was our number one. Today only De Gea made two world class save which I don't think Romero would have made.

He is having an average season, but this notion that he should not be our number 1 is not correct.
There is no data to support your claim.

Years ago, when Romero was at Sampdoria, his save percentage in Serie A was 71%. In the PL for United (7 starts 2 goals conceded), it is 91%. In the Europa League and CL for United it is 82%.

De Gea at his peak in the PL when we finished 2nd under Mourinho was 80%, in his early Ferguson years 77% - 78%, then 69% to 72% in Moyes/LVG/Mourinho year 1. Last 2 years 68% and 69%. In the EL and CL since joining United 72%.

So even if you take De Gea's best season, then compare it to Romero at Sampdoria, rather than at United, and ignore the fact that Romero will face slightly fewer shots due to coming for more crosses and acting as a sweeper keeper more often, you are only looking at an extra 45% (29% of shots conceded compared to 20% conceded).

For a like for like comparison, how about Europa League matches played for United. De Gea 6 matches, 7 goals conceded, 25 shots saved. Romero 20 matches, 8 goals conceded, 46 saves. Or domestic Cup games for United, De Gea save percentage 60% in FA Cup, 63% in EFL Cup. Romero 93% in FA Cup, 73% in EFL Cup. In the CL for United, De Gea 43 goals conceded, 113 saves. Romero 4 goals conceded, 10 saves. Including for previous teams, De Gea 72% in CL, 71% in EL. Romero 73% in CL, 78% in EL.

United have conceded 30 goals in the PL this season. The most any team has conceded (Villa) is 52. Of all the keepers with the most appearances in the PL this season for their respective teams, Kepa 54% is the only keeper with a save percentage below 60% (for a keeper to ship double the goals if he was our number one, he would need to have a save percentage of 38%). Pickford is on 61% and Foster 64%. Romero would not need to make many super saves for him to concede fewer than 30 goals in 28 PL games. If you watched the Wolves away FA Cup game, it is quite clear that he is capable of making outstanding saves from time to time.

The main reason why a keeper gets a clean sheet is that he had very little to do in the game. That is as true for De Gea's recent clean sheets against Wolves and Watford, as it is for most of Romero's clean sheets. In the Wolves game De Gea had to make 3 saves, all from a tight angle, one of which was a header. In the Watford game, one shot from Doucore at a slight angle, from just inside the area and one long distance shot from Deulofeu. For his clean sheet at Burnley this season, De Gea needed to save one shot from outside the box from Phil Bardsley. In the home game against Norwich, De Gea needed to make 2 saves from long distance shots and one shot from Todd Cantwell from a slight angle from 13 yards.

In the match we lost 0-1 at Newcastle, De Gea had to save one long distance shot, from an angle, from Sean Longstaff. He was slow to get down to Matty Longstaff's shot that scored. In the home match against Newcastle De Gea made one save from a shot from an angle from Joelinton. In the Palace match, he made one save from Zaha and conceded 2 goals. In the Norwich away game De Gea saved one shot from long distance and one shot from an angle from about 12 yards. At Wolves he had to save one header from 12 yards; not much he could do about their goal. At Southampton he saved one header from an angle; not sure if he could have come for the cross from which they scored, on the replay it looks like too far to get there in time, especially from his starting position. In the defeat at Watford, De Gea saved one shot from long distance and made a shocking error for their first goal.

https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/David-de-Gea

https://fbref.com/en/players/1e26e376/Sergio-Romero

Last edited:

Emrethis

He's a top shotstopper, probably the best in the world but the most important attributes for a goalkeeper in a top club is distribution and command of your area. Unfortunately that cost us to much. He needs to be braver and not be glued to his line.
Actually true!

Chicharo

Some short span memory here. The club is in a mess, and, yet, somehow our most consistent player in the last decade is a problem.
Yes, he hasn't been himself for a while now, but even during that period he saved our ass dozens of times.
Imagine you looking numerous defenders making fools of themselves and you have to watch their backs

thepolice123

DDG dallying on the ball has been consistent throughout this season. Its not the first time an attacker got dangerously close to him or managed to charge down the goalkick. Sooner or later someone is going to charge him down and get a goal. I can recall a few games where he took some time to dispatch the goalkick and the crowd was jeering him for it. Most of the time he seems either unsure of who to pass or terrified of receiving it back and passing to someone.

Not absolving him of blame but you really got to wonder how much training we did on our build up from the back. Felt almost as if Ole just tells the team he wants short passes from the back without any training.

evil_geko

Some short span memory here. The club is in a mess, and, yet, somehow our most consistent player in the last decade is a problem.
Yes, he hasn't been himself for a while now, but even during that period he saved our ass dozens of times.
Imagine you looking numerous defenders making fools of themselves and you have to watch their backs
Pretty much, like I said yesterday, it's like our fan base has a memory of a gold fish.

Bondi77

I wonder what Fergie would have said to De Gea at half time if he had done that on his watch.
I know Ole will never criticise his players in public but he does not have to make a fool of himself by saying he is the best GK in the world.
The best in the world would not make that mistake, it is as simple as that.

Sylar

Does anybody remember when he first signed with us, and he would have good distribution (it was one of his best assets) and he would even do dragbacks to create space to make a good pass.

The odd thing about yesterdays mistake was that his distrbution is so poor that he was going to go and lump it forward anyway, even though there were three options available to him (reverse pass back to Maguire, a pass out wide (think it was Lindelof ) and one into the middle to Mctominay(?). But he was going to lump it forward, which he could have done as soon as he got the pass.

The other thing which he just hasnt improved upon at all, is his command of the box. Its like hes afraid to get hurt even though he will always get protection as a goal keeper. He stands on his line even when the ball is crossed on the six yard line. Meaning our defence has to be very deep.

So what?

Hanging on to players as some kind of reward for what they've done in the past is a big part of the reason we are in our current state. If our coaches think he can rediscover his old form then fine, but if not it's time to look for replacements.

Equally as bad as the goal was the moment when he refused to come off his line to help Maguire and the ball almost went out for a corner. Maguire was screaming for him to move and he just stood there.

midnightmare

Back when there was the wrangle over his contract, I said (very controversially), that I would rather he be sold. My reasoning was that he reminded me of Casillas (and to a lesser extent, Shay Given). Great individual keeper when it comes to stopping shots, but offering little else. Also, I felt troubled by how well he organizes the defensive unit. One of the common themes when defenders spoke about vdS and Big Pete was how well they organized the defence and marshalled them as well as how they commanded the area. Nobody says that about DdG. He's always lauded for being "a fantastic keeper" with the examples then being given of the saves he makes etc. Most excuse him for this on the basis of "he plays behind awful defenders", but listen to some of our ex-players on their podcasts (guys like Pallister, Ronny Johnsen etc.) and you start understanding why those defensive units that played in front of Schmeichel were so good, despite the rotation and changing personnel.

Another issue I had was that as happened with Casillas, reflexes fade with age and these things go fast. It's not a slow decline. With little skill apart from shot-stopping, DdG would, I felt, make increasingly more frequent errors and let in more goals and the impact would be sudden.

Has he "saved our a**" dozens of times? I'd not say "dozens", but yes, he has made some critical saves. Then again, how many of them were "other-worldly" enough to say that no other keeper makes such saves? Not too many, I'd wager. Most good keepers pull off blinders once in a while. DdG used to do that with insane consistency and that's what made him "the best" for most. Now, however, the errors seem more frequent than the "other-worldly" saves.

More importantly, what he did in the past does not have relevance to what we must do to progress. To be the best in the business, you need to be ruthless. Fergie was. Ole will have to be. We are - as a club - carrying a massive wage-bill and this is inhibiting us in the transfer market. We need to shed that and add high quality in multiple areas of the pitch while also adding depth (look at our bench from last night!). If this means our thanking Dave sincerely and wishing him well on the way out, so be it.

Stacks

There is so much needed to be a top keeper these days and De Gea only has one skill-set around world class level. Shot-stopping and even that is nowhere near what it once was.

Command of the box: Non-existant.

Passing: Shambolic. I really wouldn't be surprised if he is worst in the league for long passes.

And a piss-weak mentality that saw him stripped of the captaincy in a matter of weeks.
Penalty saving - weak
sweeping - mediocre

Chicharito_

Howler aside he made a couple of incredible saves that people are forgetting, the Sigurdson one was incredible.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
And what? You think if we said to Sheffield United that we'll take Henderson but you can have De Gea as replacement they'd complain? You think if we offered De Gea to Everton fans they'd not replace Pickford? Apart from Allison and Ederson he starts for every team in the pl.
Wilder might. Henderson has been part of their team ethic for two years now, arbitrarily bringing in a bigger name mid-season could upset the apple cart when as far as I know the only time Wilder has been left disappointed was the poor mistake versus Liverpool.

I think some went way overboard on De Gea immediately after his error; it would be wrong to jettison him straight away and he deserves more respect from us given his role in fending off complete disaster since Fergie. My discontent is reserved for the club mishandling his contract situation and doing bad business through desperation, meaning we are now overpaying for De Gea's services and may struggle to make a change should we wish to do so.

Classical Mechanic

More damning statistics for DDG

He's lower average in the PL for performance against his xG, which can broadly be interpreted to measure against general shot stopping. I honestly don't know how anyone can think him a top keeper anymore.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Let me get the usual accusations out of the way by making clear that this is not a personal vendetta against the player, he seems like a good professional and a decent person, this is purely about about the game of football.
It's not his fault that he's been massively overhyped by our fans and the mainstream media alike.

This mess with De Gea pretty much sums up the club at the moment, anyone with even an ounce of footballing knowledge could see this coming a mile off.
Unfortunately, the most important people in this instance, our board, clearly don't possess that ounce of knowledge.
People are comparing the decision to give De Gea a new contract to the Sanchez saga, in my opinion, this is worse, because nobody could have predicted Sanchez's sudden decline whereas De Gea's decline was far from sudden.
An entire year and a half of horrendous form is not a 'blip'.

I personally have never ever got the hype about the player.
It was a bizarre signing in the first place I thought, it's not as if he was playing really well in Spain, he'd just come off the back of conceding over 53 goals in the league for Atletico Madrid.
"He's not cut out for the physicality of the premier league, no matter how good a shot stopper he is" I thought when I first watched him, hoping I was wrong because I'm no expert.
Based on his first season, I was not wrong unfortunately.

Yes, he improved slightly the second year, but those that think we won the league because of a solid defence that year need to go back and check the stats, because we conceded over 40 league goals.
Luckily we had world class forwards to compensate back then, we don't now, but that weakness is still there and still needs fixing.
To be clear, it's pretty obvious De Gea is not the only problem, we have many others, but we need to stop skipping over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted because of a new contract, it's not, far from it.

For me, despite being a world class shot stopper (at times) he has always been so under par at the other equally important aspects of goalkeeping to be considered anywhere near the best in the world.
It's actually baffled me for years how many people, including those paid fortunes to analyse the game, constantly overlook these other flaws and proclaim De Gea as one of the greatest ever.
My only conclusion is that we are now living in the 'YouTube clips' generation where most people don't actually sit and watch full games as much.
In these situations, it's easier for a highlight reel of good saves to mask over more technical sides of the game.
Fair enough, people have less time, I don't watch as many games as I used to either, apart from Utd matches, which I always make an effort to watch (as painful as it is right now).
As I said, anyone who knows even a little about the game and regularly watched Utd over the years will surely have noted the amount of goals we have conceded as a direct result of De Gea's inability to come out off his line and command HIS box.
It's not as if the recent goals conceded against Everton and Man City are one offs, this has been happening week in week out since the day he signed for the club, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in.
Another problem for us when it comes to stats etc., is that goals like the ones conceded against City/Everton don't necessarily get recorded as a direct goalkeeping error because you have to look a bit deeper than the clearly obvious recent blunder against Watford, to notice it.
My point being, there has been literally dozens of goals over the years we've conceded like that but yet they don't get recorded as goalkeeping errors.
As I said, when this is factored in, it really is truly baffling to me how De Gea is put up on a pedestal as one of the greatest keepers ever, and our saviour the past decade.

On that note of him being our 'saviour', what did we/he actually achieve in this time?
Is anyone really that bothered about finishing 6th instead of 10th?
So these 4/5 seasons when he was our talisman, our player of the year and saviour (apparantley)
What exactly did we achieve apart from mediocrity?
Is that his level then?
The biggest thing we did do in this era was win the Europa lg (and more importantly claim a champions league place because of it) and he had no part in that at all, Romero played.
Even during the David Moyes era, he let us down at the most crucial moment with a horrific mistake against Sunderland in the league Cup semi final, we were seconds away from the final and he gifted Phil Bardsley an equaliser with an absolute howler.
I personally don't care that much about the league Cup and I'm not for one second suggesting that this was the sole reason David Moyes failed, but still, we would have played Man City in the final and who knows what could have happened.
It certainly would have been a huge moment for David Moyes, having never won a trophy, but De Gea denied him that by bottling it when it mattered.
You can throw in pretty much his entire Spain career as another elite level failure (difference being they had the brains to address the situation).

The last year, under Solskjaer, was the first time in a long time that we were gathering any momentum and doing it by playing good attacking football, but both in the last two games, and last year when our unbeaten run ended at Arsenal, that momentum has been killed as a direct result of poor goalkeeping by De Gea.
Those mistakes were a massive reason we didn't qualify for the champions league last year and are a massive reason we are not just two points behind 4th place Chelsea right now (all momentum to put pressure on them after their blip is completely gone now).
We can't afford another five years of this.

It's now or never for me, if we want to give ourselves the best chance of getting back to where we should be then I'm sorry but De Gea needs to be replaced now.
Obviously realising this in the summer (as many of us did) would have been much better and we would have saved ourselves quite a few quid, but what's done is done, it can't be changed now, we'll just have to take the financial hit, in many ways we deserve it for being so shortsighted.

In reality, I know this isn't going to happen, I can see what's actually going to happen coming a mile off.
We'll stick with him and then the next time he makes even a half decent save, that save will be replayed all over the media as if it's some sort of proof that the doubters/haters were wrong.
Fast forward a few weeks and when it really matters again, hell make another 'uncharacteristic' blunder that 'you just don't see from top keepers like De Gea'.

It's the same cycle that's been happening for ten years.
If indeed, this situation continues and we continue to not even attempt to fix it, then we deserve all the mid-table mediocrity we get.

Happy Christmas fellow Red Devils.
Rinse and repeat, I called this exact scenario back in December, and many more times before that (because it's so grimley predictable).

I think it's an absolute no brainer that we should at least experiment with another first choice keeper but it's not going to happen so long as (a) so many of our fans remain in complete denial about this blindingly obvious issue and (b) more importantly, our manager is constantly failing to see what's right in front of him, he's decided De Gea is the best keeper in the world and that's it, there's no changing his mind no matter how badly he plays.

For instance, how can Ole come out and say after the game yesterday that he can only remember De Gea making two mistakes all season, is he even analysing our games then?

I can understand the Fans getting their analysis badly wrong as we all have other things we have to do, but Ole's full time job is to analyse our games and if he genuinely thinks De Gea has only made two mistakes all season then he should be fired for negligence because, as I said, he's clearly not re-watching/analysing our games.

If we don't make a change, then, as I said, we don't deserve to be any higher than mid-table.

Last edited:

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
This, if Ederson gets caught out doing that I'd forgive it, but De Gea just usually punts it aimlessly anyway.
Exactly what I was thinking, you could forgive it a bit more if he was actually attempting something intricate/clever and it went wrong, but this was a basic route one punt up the field to nobody and he still couldn't manage it.

He needs to be told in no uncertain terms that he’s position is not guaranteed, Henderson needs to start challenging him for his position from next season.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
He has been on a downward spiral.
His occasional saves do not absolve him for his poor distribution or kicks.
His howlers are far too frequent. You almost expect them now.

He needs to be dropped to give him a good kick up his backside.

I'm sure Keano gave a him a good kick.

Dve

I still rate De Gea, but Henderson´s contract expires in May, and if we could get a buyer for De Gea (valued 52m at Transfermarkt), wouldn´t replacing De Gea with Henderson be sensible business? I would rathe have Henderson + a striker, than just De Gea.

Status
Not open for further replies.