Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

He wasn’t even trying to communicate today and all that does is spread nervousness and confusion amongst the backline. He’s becoming very annoying.

Djemba-Djemba

Wasn't just the first goal.

His kicking was appalling, he looked nervous and worried coming out to get the ball, his lack of communication led to a mix up with Bailly where both left the ball to each other and we conceded a daft corner.

He was just awful.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
He's low on confidence. Let's all go to the internet and slaughter him en masse to show our support.

A top professional's reflexes don't go when he's still in his 20s, he'd kept 11 clean sheets in 15 prior to today and only Leicester, Liverpool and Sheffield Utd have conceded fewer goals than us (the latter two having a game in hand to ship more). He's hardly been as awful as this thread has been making him out to be.
Besides which, he stuck with us for years when we were showing nothing - never kicked up a fuss even when the dodgy fax machine cancelled his transfer. He's earned a hell of a lot more loyalty than this.

kiristao

Not a very good game by him... AGAIN. Seems a bit low in confidence and making mistakes way too often recently.

el3mel

He's low on confidence. Let's all go to the internet and slaughter him en masse to show our support.

A top professional's reflexes don't go when he's still in his 20s, he'd kept 11 clean sheets in 15 prior to today and only Leicester, Liverpool and Sheffield Utd have conceded fewer goals than us (the latter two having a game in hand to ship more). He's hardly been as awful as this thread has been making him out to be.
Besides which, he stuck with us for years when we were showing nothing - never kicked up a fuss even when the dodgy fax machine cancelled his transfer. He's earned a hell of a lot more loyalty than this.
The guy has been terrible for the majority of this season. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do. Beside he doesn't read Caf anyway.

Nickelodeon

This was a worse mistake than the Bergwijn one. For his motivation sake, I hope we get Henderson back to ensure that he knows that his position is in danger. Romero, for what its worth, isn’t challenging De Gea’s league position.

edcunited1878

In the second half he got beat near post again with a low ball. Bono hit the post
And how far out was that shot? If a player hits the post on your near side, and I'd have to see the play again, that can mean you had your angles correct. It would be that acute and precise.

Morpheus 7

Wasn't just the first goal.

His kicking was appalling, he looked nervous and worried coming out to get the ball, his lack of communication led to a mix up with Bailly where both left the ball to each other and we conceded a daft corner.

He was just awful.
He needed to better on his post for the goal. Let's get it right though, Maguire was nutmegged in the six yard box. AWB was slow to get off the ground. It was a combination of bad mistakes that resulted in the goal.

Bailly receivied a bad ball by Matic and made a meal of it. Bailly the liability messed up under no pressure, nobody was behind him. People have an agenda now, De Gea was poor overall today but the defensive unit contributed. People need to question our overall defending and stop with the agenda.

Giggs' right foot

What has happened? Beside Matic, DDG is our oldest player when we field over strongest side, and he looks more nervous than in 2011.
The goal today is one of those you save as a kid by just leaning against the post, because you don't want wet knees.

Djemba-Djemba

He needed to better on his post for the goal. Let's get it right though, Maguire was nutmegged in the six yard box. AWB was slow to get off the ground. It was a combination of bad mistakes that resulted in the goal.

Bailly receivied a bad ball by Matic and made a meal of it. Bailly the liability messed up under no pressure, nobody was behind him. People have an agenda now, De Gea was poor overall today but the defensive unit contributed. People need to question our overall defending and stop with the agenda.
It's not an agenda at all though, that's absolute nonsense.

De Gea has been rubbish for around 18 months now, he's made mistake after mistake.

I didn't say he was the only one to blame for how sloppy we were at the back, Maguire Lindelof and Bailly were all dozy too.

This is the De Gea performance thread, that's why I'm talking about him.

Morpheus 7

This was a worse mistake than the Bergwijn one. For his motivation sake, I hope we get Henderson back to ensure that he knows that his position is in danger. Romero, for what its worth, isn’t challenging De Gea’s league position.
Maguire was at fault for Bergwijn and the first one today too, can't put all the blame and the keeper for these shit goals. It's a shared thing people need to start understanding.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rubbish for 18 months? Talk about overreacting. People have convinced themselves that he has been rubbish and can't wait to shit on him when he makes mistake.

He has not been on the level he was before but he has been far from rubbish. Most people here will get reality check when Henderson make few mistakes of his own.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He had no help from the defenders in front of him but you can’t get beat like that at your near post.
It feels like we’re having to make excuses for him on a semi-weekly basis.
Even if you look past the goal he had another poor match, really sloppy on the ball.
I don’t know if Henderson is ‘ready’ to come in, but I’m less and less confident we can get away with going into next season with De Gea starting for us.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I said that under another manager he could well have found himself down a similar path to Joe Hart in another thread, and I don’t think that is harsh. No one is going to match Kepa’s terrible performance this season, but De Gea’s just bang average now, which doesn’t sit well with the packet he commands.

el3mel

Rubbish for 18 months? Talk about overreacting. People have convinced themselves that he has been rubbish and can't wait to shit on him when he makes mistake.

He has not been on the level he was before but he has been far from rubbish. Most people here will get reality check when Henderson make few mistakes of his own.

And that doesn't include many other mistakes he has done recently.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

And that doesn't include many other mistakes he has done recently.
And your point is? You do know that a video like that can be made for absolutely any GK out there?

This sub will get a reality check when Henderson becomes our No 1 whenever that happens.

Morpheus 7

It's not an agenda at all though, that's absolute nonsense.

De Gea has been rubbish for around 18 months now, he's made mistake after mistake.

I didn't say he was the only one to blame for how sloppy we were at the back, Maguire Lindelof and Bailly were all dozy too.

This is the De Gea performance thread, that's why I'm talking about him.
That's fine you don't have confidence in him, can't leave key information about the mistakes (De Gea made a mistake but who's to blame why it's went in, is it just him). The jury is out and De Gea? He's made errors, I just don't haven't heard good solutions, Romero isn't first choice and Henderson has made mistakes. He made a good save before the penalty, his distribution was not that bad. The routine from kick outs maybe needs to be looked at, our back line are very static when we play out from the back.

el3mel

And your point is? You do know that a video like that can be made for absolutely any GK out there?

This sub will get a reality check when Henderson becomes our No 1 whenever that happens.
These mistakes are all condensed in the last 1.5 not just many years around, so yes his form has mostly been terrible for the last 18 months.

Henderson being good or not isn't going to change that actually.

SAFMUTD

Really wish he hadnt gone to 2018 world cup, that mistake in Cristianos goal feck him up.

Rish Sawhney

I posted this in the other thread:

Ok today I’m not seeing what he did wrong apart from maybe the first goal, but I think that was a really good finish more than goalkeeping error. I though his distribution was quite good today he played a role in our build up play while Bournemouth were pressing.

Additionally the little mix up with Bailly wasn’t really a mix up. Bailly should have cleared it but he would have given away a corner anyways. De Gea covered him and gave away a corner. So what?

Djemba-Djemba

That's fine you don't have confidence in him, can't leave key information about the mistakes (De Gea made a mistake but who's to blame why it's went in, is it just him). The jury is out and De Gea? He's made errors, I just don't haven't heard good solutions, Romero isn't first choice and Henderson has made mistakes. He made a good save before the penalty, his distribution was not that bad. The routine from kick outs maybe needs to be looked at, our back line are very static when we play out from the back.
There's no agenda with me certainly.

I hate the fact he's been so poor the last 18 months, I love Dave.

It's proper shit what's happened to him, but I fear he's just a dodgy keeper these days. He can still make brilliant saves but a bad error is never far away.

el3mel

I don't get this "agenda" stuff.

I absolutely loved everything about De Gea in the past 5-6 years and I doubt any United fan didn't feel the same.

He's just past his best and has been for a while, and we don't want another Rooney situation that's all. We need to know when to move on from past it players.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Doesn't look bothered about the howlers anymore. If there's somewhere else he'd rather be I'd let him go.
A good old fashioned bollocking from Sir Alex may have worked in the past but Ole has a laugh and a joke with him as they walk off today.

Djemba-Djemba

I absolutely loved everything about De Gea in the past 5-6 years and I doubt any United fan didn't feel the same.

He's just past his best and has been for a while, and we don't want another Rooney situation that's all. We need to know when to move on from past it players.
Agreed.

hmchan

We've already had that situation I'm afraid, with the 375k-per-week contract.

Andersons Dietician

As much as goal keepers shouldn‘t get beaten on their front post I do feel it was just a perfectly placed time and shot. Like the only space for that ball to go in is found.

More concerned later with the one that hit the post and some poor passing choices. He did have a few good passes mind but after that goal went in he seemed to be in panic stations if that makes sense.

I do hope he gets back to where he was at. Maybe it’s unfair by us because he was at such a high level, easily best keeper in the world that now hes going through a period where he’s just a really good keeper by normal standards we are nit picking at everything.

ICHM

He hasn't been the same since the last world cup. He has been full of errors and his concentration and organisation has gone down significantly. He was never the best kicker of the ball. His positioning and anticipation is as bad as I have seen it. Right now I would get Henderson back and offload DeGea if I could. It's a shame as he was very good, it's just he's not now and the last two years.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's just past his best and has been for a while, and we don't want another Rooney situation that's all.
Well, we can't conclude that he is past his best. Just so that's mentioned.

But the reason people worry about a "Rooney situation" (as you say) is based on tangible (enough) factors:

a) his only standout quality (for a top, top player) is his shot stopping ability.

b) he has become "error prone" to an extent that was not present before in recent seasons.

c) he has not shown any signs of developing his game in terms of - well - anything beyond shot stopping.

So, yeah - the "Rooney situation" isn't an outlandish concept, meaning: a player on insane wages who will likely just keep declining in terms of what he's actually brilliant at - and who will likely not develop significantly (or at all) in terms of what he currently lacks.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dave could have saved that, agreed. However, I don't think it was his fault. The ball was squeezed in by the narrowest of the margins - and no GK would cover that angle because the probability of such a shot going in is really low. You try to cover that margin, and you're making it that much easy for Stanislas to cross the ball across the face of the goal - a more likely scenario.

hmchan

Well, we can't conclude that he is past his best. Just so that's mentioned.

But the reason people worry about a "Rooney situation" (as you say) is based on tangible (enough) factors:

a) his only standout quality (for a top, top player) is his shot stopping ability.

b) he has become "error prone" to an extent that was not present before in recent seasons.

c) he has not shown any signs of developing his game in terms of - well - anything beyond shot stopping.

So, yeah - the "Rooney situation" isn't an outlandish concept, meaning: a player on insane wages who will likely just keep declining in terms of what he's actually brilliant at - and who will likely not develop significantly (or at all) in terms of what he currently lacks.
The most important factor in the "Rooney situation" is that we have to keep playing an average player because of his wage and fame despite his mistakes and mediocre performances.

Keefy18

Ugh yeah they do, where have you been? Rooney was in a massive decline in his late twenties and he isn't the first by any means. Plenty of players hit peaks at different points and decline at different times.

It's this simple and I've repeated it ad nausea at this point the last year to 18 months, his confident was absolutely shot after that 2018 World Cup s*it show! Arguably one of the worst keeping performances in memory without a doubt. On top of that yes, yes indeed his reflexes have gone. It happened to Buffon as well as he had issues with his sight as well and his form nose dived for a period.

It isn't just a coincidence that his errors are often similar, beaten at the front post (same again today) and long range efforts.

He's a one dimensional keeper in that he was a superb shot stopper, that had incredible ability going left / right on his line. Most everything else outside of that metric is poor to average.

Communication poor, distribution poor, control of aerial balls poor. The one thing that made him superb is failing him now.

You're completely rewriting history ffs, he refused to sign a deal and wanted out and but for a dodgy fax that you mention we managed to keep him. Then he done it again on the next deal again and held out to the bitter end and we made him the best paid keeper in the world.

Now we are in a situation again similar to Rooney and Sanchez. An overpaid under performing player.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Looks like Bournemouth had done their homework, two shots from close to the byline, one scored, one hit the post. I hadn't noticed before, but perhaps DDG leaves a gap at the near post in those situations?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The most important factor in the "Rooney situation" is that we have to keep playing an average player because of his wage and fame despite his mistakes and mediocre performances.
Indeed.

DDG is on insane wages. He's the Messi of goal keepers - in terms of what we pay him.

RedIan

Mixed bag today, a top save and a couple of bad errors. Beaten at the near post is unforgivable and then som of his passes out were suicidal... still rate high highly but needs to cut out errors.

RedRob

Ugh yeah they do, where have you been? Rooney was in a massive decline in his late twenties and he isn't the first by any means. Plenty of players hit peaks at different points and decline at different times.

It's this simple and I've repeated it ad nausea at this point the last year to 18 months, his confident was absolutely shot after that 2018 World Cup s*it show! Arguably one of the worst keeping performances in memory without a doubt. On top of that yes, yes indeed his reflexes have gone. It happened to Buffon as well as he had issues with his sight as well and his form nose dived for a period.

It isn't just a coincidence that his errors are often similar, beaten at the front post (same again today) and long range efforts.

He's a one dimensional keeper in that he was a superb shot stopper, that had incredible ability going left / right on his line. Most everything else outside of that metric is poor to average.

Communication poor, distribution poor, control of aerial balls poor. The one thing that made him superb is failing him now.

You're completely rewriting history ffs, he refused to sign a deal and wanted out and but for a dodgy fax that you mention we managed to keep him. Then he done it again on the next deal again and held out to the bitter end and we made him the best paid keeper in the world.

Now we are in a situation again similar to Rooney and Sanchez. An overpaid under performing player.
Would you honestly describe late 20s Rooney as a top professional? Getting into drunken boxing matches with Phil Bardsley and playing slapsies with WWE wrestlers?

acnumber9

I’d say today was possibly De Gea’s worst for the club. Beat at his near post once and lucky not to again. You can put the Spurs goal down to poor concentration which happens to everyone but you can’t get beat at your near post like that. I would still argue that dropping him doesn’t necessarily make us a better team but he could have no complaints if he was dropped.

Keefy18

Would you honestly describe late 20s Rooney as a top professional? Getting into drunken boxing matches with Phil Bardsley and playing slapsies with WWE wrestlers?
I wouldn't no, but then again Owen, Fowler, Kaka etc etc...

But this isn't about fitness, so much as a loss of a reflex. Keepers can lose them and were not talking about huge drops here. Remember, shots are fired at keepers at average speeds of about 70mph I believe? So the very slightest loss of a reflex does indeed make a massive difference.

I posted this a few moments ago in another De Gea thread.

Can argue all you like there is a whopping nose dive in form since the WC in 2018.

RedRob

I wouldn't no, but then again Owen, Fowler, Kaka etc etc...

But this isn't about fitness, so much as a loss of a reflex. Keepers can lose them and were not talking about huge drops here. Remember, shots are fired at keepers at average speeds of about 70mph I believe? So the very slightest loss of a reflex does indeed make a massive difference.

I posted this a few moments ago in another De Gea thread.

Can argue all you like there is a whopping nose dive in form since the WC in 2018.

Whopping nose dive in form?
Looking at clean sheets and goals conceded, yes. Of course, for the first few seasons he had Rio and Vidic in front of him, whereas recently he's had Jones, Rojo, Smalling, etc., but let's ignore mitigating circumstances and collective responsibilities.
Looking at errors leading to goals, yes. This season it's been 4 (according to the PL website). Of course, Ederson and Allison have both also had 3 this season, but there's no reason to compare De Gea to them.
Every other individual statistic is very much on a par with other seasons up to this point - saves, save percentage, passes, pass accuracy.
This reads much more like occasional lapses in form rather than a consistent capitulation in ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.