Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickelodeon

I have defended him more than anyone. Can’t deny there’s a catastrophic drop in quality.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He really isn't.
You have a very short memory I see.
He’s won everything except CL with United. He carried this team by himself for almost 3 years straight. 2 POTY awards. 400 games, More than any other United keeper.
Of course he is a club legend and should be treated with respect. Some of you are so short sighted it’s unbelievable.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I doubt they would be okay with that.
I think they need cash. De Gea plus lots of cash might be worth a punt. In worst case we sell them a busted flush but they pick up another top keeper soon after. Their luck with keepers is unbelievable.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How did DeGea's agent screw such a huge bag of money out of Man Utd when he was already on the downturn? Every keeper makes errors but he's making far too many these days. Feels like another Fabian Barthez.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He’s won everything except CL with United. He carried this team by himself for almost 3 years straight. 2 POTY awards. 400 games, More than any other United keeper.
Of course he is a club legend and should be treated with respect. Some of you are so short sighted it’s unbelievable.
The level of disrespect it shocking :lol:

I've absolutely no problem with people saying he's awful now, he is. But to suggest he wasn't the best goalkeeper in the world for about 5+ years is moronic. Like you said he carried us for years.

el3mel

The level of disrespect it shocking :lol:

I've absolutely no problem with people saying he's awful now, he is. But to suggest he wasn't the best goalkeeper in the world for about 5+ years is moronic. Like you said he carried us for years.
No one has suggested that ? He was a great player for us and the best GK in the world for several years. However he's not a club legend though. "Legend" is way too much of a word to be used like this.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How can De Gea be a club legend ? He has been a great player for us alright but sure as hell not to the "legend" state. His trophies record with us is shambolic and he'll always have Peter and VDS ahead of him in terms of United's best GKs.

We have so many players that are legends and it's hard to classify De Gea among them. Great player, not a legend.
David May won more than Bryan Robson, Schmeichel was better. VDS is debatable, time has been kind to him, don’t forget he threw one in, in a CL final.

kundalini

Terrible performance. These shocking errors have been happening far too often. De Gea is incredibly lucky to still be our first choice keeper.

Based Adnan

How did DeGea's agent screw such a huge bag of money out of Man Utd when he was already on the downturn? Every keeper makes errors but he's making far too many these days. Feels like another Fabian Barthez.
He didn't, his lawer did. De Gea, whilst being in the middle of costing us top 4 last season, agreed a new contract with the club via Mendes. On the advice of his agent he then went on to ask the club for more money despite having already agreed. Again - he done all of this whilst chucking the ball into his own net for a month straight costing us top 4.

Mendes who was his agent obviously wasn't too happy with his lawyer getting involved after he'd given United his word they'd agreed so dropped De Gea as his client.

Irrational.

Look at the first choice keepers for the top ten teams in the PL:

Liverpool (Alisson)
City (Ederson)
Leicester (Schmeichel)
Chelsea (Caballero)
United (DDG)
Wolves (Patricio)
Sheffield (Henderson)
Burnley (Pope)
Spurs (Lloris)
Arsenal (Leno)

He's comfortably the worst out of all of those at present. It would be Kepa, but Chelsea saw sense and ditched him for Caballero. We need to do the same and get Romero in for the rest of the season, and Henderson in for next season. I have no faith in him saving routine shots, or near post goal attempts. He's very good at camera saves that look flashy, but he struggler's with the simple bread and butter saves.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Anyone who calls him a club legend needs to get a grip. Being good, even very good for three/four season doens't make someone a club legend, least not at Manchester United. A club legend is someone who plays an integral role in multiple title-winning squads, needless to say, base don that criteria, he is not a club legend.
Is Bryan Robson not a legend?

Berbaclass

No one has suggested that ? He was a great player for us and the best GK in the world for several years. However he's not a club legend though. "Legend" is way too much of a word to be used like this.
Respectfully disagree, I think he's done enough to earn that right.

Welbeckham

Nobody wants him, and that has been a problem for a long time. His new contract is one of the worst decisions made by the staff and board in the recent years.

SteveW

Barthez had the odd brainfart but was never as bad as David has been for the last 2 years. Nowhere near.

He's been sub Carrol and Howard since a few months before the world cup. His nerve is completely gone. It's criminal that he has kept his place up to now.

JG3001

I get what you’re saying, but we can’t afford to be nostalgic anymore. It soured the Rooney golden years and it will do the same here, we have to be ruthless, this is now a 2 year drop in quality, not a blip.

You can’t keep giving free passes for past performance, it breeds mediocrity & resentment.

Berbaclass

Seriously? :lol:

Jibbs

Awarding De Gea a new contract was one of the worst mistakes of United management, up there with giving Rooney a 6 years deal in 2013, signing Sanchez and letting Stam go. This will hold back the club for at least couple of years. I fear De Gea will do what Bale is doing with Madrid.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

We've never had a keeper make this many errors for this long.

Normally a keeper making this many errors is dropped and sold.

It's been around 18 months of this. Utter toilet performances.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Barthez had the odd brainfart but was never as bad as David has been for the last 2 years. Nowhere near.

He's been sub Carrol and Howard since a few months before the world cup. His nerve is completely gone. It's criminal that he has kept his place up to now.
This is true, which is actually shocking given how good DeGea was.

Carroll was just bad but with DeGea it's the unpredictable Howard like brain farts that do it.

GenZRed

You're the second person to say I have a short memory on this thread.

I fully remember the stick he used to get in the 2011/12 season and during that period I was willing to give him a second season. Do I still have a short memory?

As I remember, in his second season he improved immensely and I was happy with his progress and happy for him. Do I still have a short memory?

Under the Moyes cataclysm, he was one of only two players to save face with his performances, the other being Wayne Rooney, in my opinion anyway.

Under VanGaal I remember him as being world-class and widely regarded as one of the world's best goalkeepers. Quite rightly too. Still under the impression my memory is short?

Now towards the end of last season he started making elementary mistakes. As I have said previously I was willing to overlook them due to his previously great performances and his status as our best player. I remember the Chelsea howler vividly because I was at OT when it happened, sat just behind the net he was protecting. I couldn't believe my eyes. Or perhaps that is my dementia kicking in.

His mistakes are becoming too common and costly for any fair-minded fan to overlook. He should be dropped for Premiership games, in my opinion. Never mind starting cup games, where the competent Romero should be starting. (Do you feel as bad for Romero as I do? There is argubly not a better second-choice goalkeeper in the world.)

Anyway, what were we talking about again?

Berbaclass

We've never had a keeper make this many errors for this long.

Normally a keeper making this many errors is dropped and sold.

It's been around 18 months of this. Utter toilet performances.
It's on Ole now. It's his responsibility now to make a decision.

crossy1686

career ending
Some serious reaching in here guys, De Gea was in the top 3 goalkeepers for maybe 3 seasons max and could only ever say he was the best in the world for one season. He's never seen best goalkeeper in the world for 5+ seasons, not a chance.

Coops73

It’s so difficult to criticise De Gea, he’s arguably been our best player over the last few years but he had a total brain fart today.

Welbeckham

It has often been ignored that with a more active, complete goalkeeper, our defenders would often look better, even the ones who aren’t good enough. He sometimes makes good saves, (nowadays less than terrible mistakes), but his overall goalkeeping isn’t nearly good enough. He’s mentally weak, and if we start him for the two remaining PL games, I’m really worried he will cost us the place in top 4 again, just like he did last year.

diarm

I honestly think De Gea's issues are with concentration as much as they are confidence. When we were shite, he was being called upon every 30 seconds and never switched off. Now all of a sudden he has less to do and can't keep himself focused in games.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

It's on Ole now. It's his responsibility now to make a decision.
I feel sorry for Ole because the Utd managers before him got the World Class Dave and all he's had since he joined Utd is this complete shambles version of De Gea.

For his own sake, Ole needs to drop him. We need top 4 badly.

Berbaclass

I feel sorry for Ole because the Utd managers before him got the World Class Dave and all he's had since he joined Utd is this complete shambles version of De Gea.

For his own sake, Ole needs to drop him. We need top 4 badly.
Don't think he will judging by this...

Yagami

Good post resistant
The games he's played apart in costing us these past two seasons have been so avoidable. He nearly cost us that comeback against PSG last year in the final minute as well.

So many of us said this contract was a mistake and were ridiculed for it at the time. So many of us wanted him dropped ages ago but were deemed too reactionary again. If he's not dropped for the bubble blowers then it beggars belief.

mu4c_20le

He never hangs his players out to dry, what he says to the press means nothing. We will see in our remaining games, and the upcoming window.

Bwuk

He’s been dodgy for 2 seasons.

I’d sell and give Henderson a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.