Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If Ole drops him now, he never plays for the club again, it's a Jim Leighton moment. It'd crush his confidence.

The problem of course is he has 3 years on his contract as the highest paid goalkeeper in the world.

Personally I can't see Ole being brave enough to do so.
He's not a fecking baby.

If he can't handle being dropped and fighting back for his spot, he deserves to be moved on.

AFC NimbleThumb

He's not a fecking baby.

If he can't handle being dropped and fighting back for his spot, he deserves to be moved on.
Agree with this.

OgS has been talking about how competition in attack during his time at the club was key & has warned our forwards he’s always on the look out for strikers etc.

The goalkeeping position should be no different; not dropping DDG is telling him he can do as badly as he likes without any consequence.

AFC NimbleThumb

If OgS honestly rates Henderson as highly as he says he should be given the option to come back & compete on merit.

If we bring back Henderson & don’t give him a proper opportunity then we may aswell loan him out again.

We need an rvn

Like many many many posters are saying on here, he makes world class saves that have kept us in games but the mistakes are getting too frequent and costing us more than the saves other keepers could be making as well.

As per usual with United though, he's earning more than any keeper in the world and we'll have to pay him off to leave rather than make some money selling him, just like Sanchez

Jackal981

You guys realise that players can be good in the past and shite now ? Let’s not rewrite history by saying he is always trash etc. He was the best GK in the league/world few seasons ago (remember people saying he was better than Neuer ?) but now he is shite. Both of those things are not mutually exclusive. I dont understand why posters have tendency to lean into one thing too much. It’s always either he is shite all the time or he is good all the time. He might be washed up today but let’s not forget his heroics in the past.

Reactions: Sultan

nothingman96

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Main points:
- he's still a very good keeper;
- the mistakes are becoming more frequent and inexplicable;
- he should be dropped and he should take it as a man;
- the drop won't happen in the last two games which is why all we have to hope for is that we get through those games without him making any more mistakes (both Leicester and West Ham will take a lot of shots knowing all this and they don't all have to go in).

Kostov

I've been defending him since last years blunders and I though he will come back and recover from that, unfortunately it hasn't been the case. I am sorry to say but it has happened too often in the past 2.5 years, and he has to be replaced. I don't see him recovering and ever getting to his best to be fair.

Squeaky Bumtime

What's the problem. Has he declined, changed the coach or has been changing coaches too much, hasnt really upped the things he lacks and now he's getting exposed cause his on the line saves are not good anymore, mental problems, something else?
I really dont know but his form is attrocious and as I said he even doesnt have his on the line saves anymore to save him. Sure he makes them from time to time but when he has a game like yesterday it gets badly exposed.

Classical Mechanic

He came to United as a 21 years old, and won the best keeper in the league the following season. He was the best keeper in the world and single-handed keeping us in top 6.

He has been bad for some time now, but let's not rewrite history.
He got into the world team of the year once which was a great achievement for him. He wasn't the best keeper in the world for a prolonged period though. He's never been as good as peak Neuer, who is a much more complete goalkeeper. Peak De Gea is not as good as peak Allison either because Allison is a complete goalkeeper.

Actually when he got the recognition as the best keeper in the world that was when he started to decline. It's arguable that he couldn't cope with that accolade and status which supports my point.

All that said, he's been a great servant and player for us overall and he loves the club. I think the data clearly supports the assertion that he's the single biggest problem that we have currently, however. Bring Henderson back next season and let them compete for the spot.

Revan

Assumptionman
He got into the world team of the year once which was a great achievement for him. He wasn't the best keeper in the world for a prolonged period though. He's never been as good as peak Neuer, who is a much more complete goalkeeper. Peak De Gea is not as good as peak Allison either because Allison is a complete goalkeeper.

Actually when he got the recognition as the best keeper in the world that was when he started to decline. It's arguable that he couldn't cope with that accolade and status which supports my point.

All that said, he's been a great servant and player for us overall and he loves the club. I think the data clearly supports the assertion that he's the single biggest problem that we have currently, however. Bring Henderson back next season and let them compete for the spot.
I agree that he wasn’t as good as peak Neuer, but to be fair only Buffon has been as good as peak Neuer during this decade.

I think that he was comfortably better than Alisson. Alisson is better at passing (by a large distance) but peak De Gea was much better at goalkeeping.

In any case, he was a top 3 keeper in the world for at least 5 years and the best in the world for a year or two.

red4ever 79

Unforgivable the 2nd mistake. There has been so many mistakes now over the course of two seasons. The problem I have is not with De Gea, he doesnt pick himself. Ole keeps backing and backing him. De Gea must feel like it doesnt even matter what he does that he is always going to play. All players should have to be kept on their toes for fear of losing their place if they play bad.

Anyway on for next season - Henderson should be brought back and given a fair opportunity to stake his claim for the number 1 jersey

SteveW

I couldn't agree more with this.

Over the years I have accepted his shortcomings:
  • Doesn’t command his box
  • He plants his feet too wide apart, which means he falls backwards on shots
  • His positioning is terrible
  • He is susceptible at his near post
  • His distribution is poor
Other factors at play:
  • He was on the brink of his dream move away from Utd, but for a fax machine
  • His Spanish girlfriend hates Manchester
The biggest issue for me though, is his eyesight, and it could go a long way in explaining the mistakes he makes...

Firstly, what have some of his past teammates said about his vision?
Nani – when he was recently picking his dream 5 a-side team on the Major League Soccer Instagram account:
“David de Gea, for me one of the best in the world and a good friend of mine. But he must bring his glasses with him because he can't see anything without them. It's true."

Paulo Assunção (former Atletico teammate) – in an interview with ESPN in 2018:
“He once told me he had a big vision problem and couldn’t see much, but still saved the balls. It was amazing”

Secondly, what eyesight condition does De Gea have?
De Gea actually has hypermetropia, also known as farsightedness, which means he can perfectly see things that are far from him, but has problems focusing on close objects.

In now knowing his vision issue, have a look again at the mistakes he makes!
This is insane. What the hell is going on? How did we give him that contract...

Classical Mechanic

I agree that he wasn’t as good as peak Neuer, but to be fair only Buffon has been as good as peak Neuer during this decade.

I think that he was comfortably better than Alisson. Alisson is better at passing (by a large distance) but peak De Gea was much better at goalkeeping.

In any case, he was a top 3 keeper in the world for at least 5 years and the best in the world for a year or two.
I don't agree on Allison. I know he plays for Liverpool but he's been voted the best keeper in the world last year by his fellow pros the same as De Gea was in 2017/18. The data suggests that's he's their key player in their title win this year. Liverpool's xGA is about the same as United's but they conceded far less. Allison has been the best keeper in the league this year and one of the very best at outperforming his xGA. He does make some bloopers because of his high risk passing game but he's a pretty complete goalkeeper.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He was terrible and needs to be replaced but I think people need to realise that we were poor despite these mistakes, we were outclassed by Chelsea and there are issues beyond De Gea that need to be fixed.

flappyjay

I hope Ole does not play him in the Europa. Last night Ole got punished for not trusting his cup goalkeeper. If I remember correctly when we won the Europa Romero missed games because of injury, Jose never dropped him. I could be wrong though.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't agree on Allison. I know he plays for Liverpool but he's been voted the best keeper in the world last year by his fellow pros the same as De Gea was in 2017/18. The data suggests that's he's their key player in their title win this year. Liverpool's xGA is about the same as United's but they conceded far less. Allison has been the best keeper in the league this year and one of the very best at outperforming his xGA. He does make some bloopers because of his high risk passing game but he's a pretty complete goalkeeper.
Wait wait, I do agree that Alisson is better than De Gea right now, far better in fact. I just think that peak De Gea was quite better than peak Alisson.

Talking about xGA, check De Gea’s xGA on 17-18 season when he was arguably at his best. That was totally insane, with him and Oblak being by far the best keepers in the world. Since then it has probably been Alisson and maybe Ter Stegen.

Also, much easier to get in team of the year when you win titles and play for a great team. Unfortunately, De Gea’s peak was at the same time when we were shit, which meant that he spent his peak chasing UCL instead of winning titles. Probably would have had another 1 or 2 best keeper in the world award if he played for a better team.

flappyjay

He was terrible and needs to be replaced but I think people need to realise that we were poor despite these mistakes, we were outclassed by Chelsea and there are issues beyond De Gea that need to be fixed.
This is true but we will never get our tactics right 100% of the time, off days should be expected but at the same time we shouldn't be offering the opposing team gifts.

Classical Mechanic

Wait wait, I do agree that Alisson is better than De Gea right now, far better in fact. I just think that peak De Gea was quite better than peak Alisson.

Talking about xGA, check De Gea’s xGA on 17-18 season when he was arguably at his best. That was totally insane, with him and Oblak being by far the best keepers in the world. Since then it has probably been Alisson and maybe Ter Stegen.
DDG's shot stopping that season was absolutely incredible and he deserved that place in the world team of the year. The reason why I'd have Allison as a better keeper is because he's a complete goalkeeper. He's commands his area, can come for crosses, is an excellent shot stopper too and is great with his feet. He's more analagous to Neuer so is better placed to dominate his position like Neuer did.

pascell

Its too much of a common occurrence now for it to be a 'blip', he's almost cost us top 4 already with the mistakes vs Everton & Spurs. Unfortunately it happens but it's time to move on from him if we have aspirations of winning the league.

Revan

Assumptionman
DDG's shot stopping that season was absolutely incredible and he deserved that place in the world team of the year. The reason why I'd have Allison as a better keeper is because he's a complete goalkeeper. He's commands his area, can come for crosses, is an excellent shot stopper too and is great with his feet. He's more analagous to Neuer so is better placed to dominate his position like Neuer did.
Yeah, Alisson is similar to Neuer (doesn’t have the insane sweeping ability that Neuer has) but not as good IMO. A Neuer-lite, at best.

I agree that he is more complete than peak De Gea, but I thought that peak De Gea was better (similar to how VDS was more complete than Casillas but not as good).

Andersons Dietician

Not going to blame him for the first or the OG by Maguire. But there is no defence for the Mount drive. He is just to casual and goes to ground like you would expect a keeper to to gather a ball in to the chest but for whatever reason he totally misjudged the path of the ball. Just sloppy.

There were a couple of good saves but there are one too many errors creeping in. He’s still a world class goalie but he’s no where near the form he has shown in previous seasons.

I see a lot of people mentions Neuer, he was another top class goalie that has had spells where he’s committed howler after howler. At one point it was like if you took a longe range shot against Neuer you’d score.

Last edited:

redshaw

The errors are so soft and pathetic looking, he gets down so slow and palms them in like he is not concentrating and not bothered.

We're at a crucial stage again like last season. I was adamant De Gea shouldn't have played Chelsea last season such was the erros going on and he messed up big time in that 1-1 draw, you could argue we still wouldn't have made it but with just two games to go we have a huge chance this time and it's in our hands but David's hands could fumble it.

MadMike

De Gea being rooted on his line for corners and crosses is so infuriating. It invites opposition to place the corners as close to goal as the six-yard box, which increases the chances of a goal from deflections or goal-mouth scrambles. The 2nd goal vs Soton is a textbook example of a type of goal from a corner you wouldn't concede with a keeper who has decent aerial ability and is in command of his six-yard box.

His GK play is very one-dimensional. He's an exceptional shot stopper more often than not, but in others aspects of goalkeeping like coming out of his line, playing with his feet, and collecting aerial balls... he's worse than average.

MadMike

Not going to blame him for the first or the OG by Maguire. But there is no defence for the Mount drive. He is just to casual and goes to ground like you would expect a keeper to to gather a ball in to the chest but for whatever reason he totally misjudged the path of the ball. Just sloppy.

There were a couple of good saves but there are one too many errors creeping in. He’s still a world class goalie but he’s no where near the form he has shown in previous seasons.

I see a lot of people mentions Neuer, he was another top class goalie that has had spells where he’s committed howler after howler. At one point it was like if you took a longe range shot against Neuer you’d score.
He's a world class shot stopper on his day but that's about it. It's insane oversight at how many aspects of goalkeeping he's just not good at all to be branded world class. People were comparing him to Neuer. A GK who commanded his area like no one else and was excellent at rushing out of his line to close angles and prevent danger. It's crazy. People are just mesmerized by the acrobatic saves and forget goalkeeping is much more than that.

romufc

I was in the camp of DDG will rediscover his form and we should stick by him.

However; this isnt about him rediscovering form, this is something something else. Everytime someone shoots from outside the box, I am scared for DDG. He cannot save anything on the floor, all 3 goals were his mistake.

Gopher Brown

350k a week to sit on the bench?
It’s ridiculous, but better than £350k per week to lose us games.

We’re not going to be able to sell him now, so the only solution is sit him on the bench and tell him to fight for his place in the team.

romufc

We’re not going to be able to sell him now, so the only solution is sit him on the bench and tell him to fight for his place in the team.
Would it be worth having a hybrid of both? Something that Real Madrid and Barcelona have done.

Henderson plays all PL games and DDG plays cups?

Gopher Brown

Would it be worth having a hybrid of both? Something that Real Madrid and Barcelona have done.

Henderson plays all PL games and DDG plays cups?
Well, he played a cup game yesterday and how did that turn out for him?

Fussmeister

This.

The salary or pricetag should not decide.The best player starts.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I couldn't agree more with this.

Over the years I have accepted his shortcomings:
  • Doesn’t command his box
  • He plants his feet too wide apart, which means he falls backwards on shots
  • His positioning is terrible
  • He is susceptible at his near post
  • His distribution is poor
Other factors at play:
  • He was on the brink of his dream move away from Utd, but for a fax machine
  • His Spanish girlfriend hates Manchester
The biggest issue for me though, is his eyesight, and it could go a long way in explaining the mistakes he makes...

Firstly, what have some of his past teammates said about his vision?
Nani – when he was recently picking his dream 5 a-side team on the Major League Soccer Instagram account:
“David de Gea, for me one of the best in the world and a good friend of mine. But he must bring his glasses with him because he can't see anything without them. It's true."

Paulo Assunção (former Atletico teammate) – in an interview with ESPN in 2018:
He once told me he had a big vision problem and couldn’t see much, but still saved the balls. It was amazing”

Secondly, what eyesight condition does De Gea have?
De Gea actually has hypermetropia, also known as farsightedness, which means he can perfectly see things that are far from him, but has problems focusing on close objects.

In now knowing his vision issue, have a look again at the mistakes he makes!
See I never saw those quotes before. Amazing. I wonder if his condition has worsened? Yet we surely would know that as I expect he has regular tests.
I knew something was off with his vision just didn't know what.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The mistakes are way too common now. Needs to be dropped and I'd say sold but I can't see that happening.

Trex

If I'm Henderson with the season I've had and the errors De gea has been making, I'll demand at least a fair chance for the number 1 spot or if not a permanent transfer,because that would prove Ole doesn't rate me

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Some stats to confirm what we already know. His shot stopping has gone to shit (over last 18 months) which means there’s no longer any justification for us to tolerate his long term flaw of being painfully slow off his line. He’s gone from being arguably the best keepers in the league to one of the very worst. This is a huge problem.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Neuer was out for almost a year in 2017/18 and then had indeed a very average spell for about half a year, but coming off a big injury without playing for a long time that was sort of to be expected. Since 2019 he has been consistently back to his old level, so there has been a recovery.
For De Gea it's genuinely weird. Should be in his prime, no injuries, no external psychological pressure (let's face it, up until now he has been treated quite fair from the public, media and Manchester fans; for Spain it was a different story obviously) and yet he looks a shadow of his former self. His weakness was always his kicking and command of the box but he looks incredible shaky nowadays. I'm not even talking about the obvious howler for the second goal but also how he reacts for the first one. Bad positioning and simply moving too slowly, very weird.

threamcloud

There is something you guys missing. You guys all talk about how he decline, how he was world class etc.
No he doesnt decline. Yes, he made more mistakes nowadays, but that comes up with his weak mental, not because he gets worse, but because he is not fit to be a Man Utd goalkeeper (or I can say any big team, who challenge for the title).
What make a GK fit for a top team? Its the consistency, the commanding in the box and his defenders (yes, his defenders). What is his best time? Its the time when he is at aletico madrid, when Man Utd is in deep shet with poor defending, getting like 10-20 shots into goal per game. And his worst time? The years under sir alex, the time playing for spain, especially wc 2018, and when our club playing better. Realize it now? He only plays good if his team is in deep shit, he will use his only skill to make flashy saving and thats enough for a GK in that team. What if he concede one or two goals from 20 shots? Fanbase still rate him as top player, and therefore the world class goalkeeper and you all call him. And when our team just somehow got better, with just a few shots got per game, the mask is taken away, with his poor mental and his lack of concentration, he has nothing left to contribute.
In conclusion, do you know what people call the teams which he plays best? I dont know, mediorce team. And the team he fails? The team who actually challenge for something.
I see someone regard him as a club legend. I disagree but wont argue with you about that, maybe your club, not mine.

Dean is maybe not the answer. But de gea should never be our number one, for a long time. Not just recent years.

Sorry for my bad english. Hope you understand.

Sylar

Hes our new Rooney. We didnt learn and did the same thing again.
We made him top earner at the club whilst he was on a downward trend. Odd stuff.

Anyway, dont know what it is with him and whether its concentration and his mind is elsewhere, but this is so bizarre to watch. Its like he hasnt recovered from the world cup 2 years ago and keeps making big mistake after big mistake.
Prime DDG saves all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.