Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K_Ash

Is it me or has he stopped using his legs to save? I don't recall anywhere near as many leg saves as he used to do.
I have noticed the same thing as well..it was his trademark.. cant recall any for over year or two.
The scouting report is out: shoot low preferably on his left (close to the body). Bergwijn's and Mount's goals were just too similar to be a coincidence

Alemar

I have noticed the same thing as well..it was his trademark.. cant recall any for over year or two.
The scouting report is out: shoot low preferably on his left (close to the body). Bergwijn's and Mount's goals were just too similar to be a coincidence
He tried to use his leg last game, vs Chelsea - tried to save Maguire own goal. In fact he touched the ball, but it went in regardless

Jackal981

Who is going to show up in goalie, Jekyll or Hyde ? Lets hope for the best

K_Ash

He tried to use his leg last game, vs Chelsea - tried to save Maguire own goal. In fact he touched the ball, but it went in regardless
no keeper would use their hands for such a quick reaction save in that particular situation...with David, it seemed like even for the ones that clearly should have been 'handled', he would use his feet (again that was his trademark).
He has been more "conventional".

Alemar

no keeper would use their hands for such a quick reaction save in that particular situation...with David, it seemed like even for the ones that clearly should have been 'handled', he would use his feet (again that was his trademark).
He has been more "conventional".
but it’s not his main problem. We saw the howlers he conceded lately - the majority is “through the wrists”, it has nothing to do with not using legs...

In terms of pure style I would agree, he changed

Jackal981

Well no.. A legend that has threatened to leave the club again and again and has never had a status of a serial winner since he came. He looked great in a piss poor team and we were getting hammered, I could give you a bunch of keepers who look good in these kind of teams but aren't good enough to play top flight. I've said this here for a while now he shouldn't be starting games for Utd anymore. He has way to many flaws as a keeper. He never relieves pressure, his passing game is ok at best and if you add him making mistakes every other game now that has to be the final straw. He cost us CL football last year and is doing his best now to keep that trend going. Give it to Romero till the end and let Henderson show his ability next season. DDG is finished as a top tier (if he ever was one, best shot stopper in the planet yes but not even close as a complete package) keeper and has been for a while now.
What a load of bollocks. He was not just “great”. Saying other keepers could emulate him in his prime because he plays for poor team is one of the daftest thing I have ever heard. Yes he is showing a sign of huge decline now, but lets not forget he was genuinely in debate for the best GK in the world few seasons ago. As I pointed in my other post, members here tend to think either he is shite/avg all the time or he is undroppable. Spoiler alert, he is shite now but he was genuinely one of the worlds best just few seasons ago. Whatever happens from now on does not change his performance in the past.

Hate to say it, but I’m expecting a DDG blunder leading to an opposition goal either tonight or on Sunday. Hope I’m wrong, and that it doesn’t cost us if it happens.

What a load of bollocks. He was not just “great”. Saying other keepers could emulate him in his prime because he plays for poor team is one of the daftest thing I have ever heard. Yes he is showing a sign of huge decline now, but lets not forget he was genuinely in debate for the best GK in the world few seasons ago. As I pointed in my other post, members here tend to think either he is shite/avg all the time or he is undroppable. Spoiler alert, he is shite now but he was genuinely one of the worlds best just few seasons ago. Whatever happens from now on does not change his performance in the past.
100% agree.

It’s a shame we have such a toxic fanbase who can’t appreciate our players, and their achievements.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Should have been dropped. Simple as that.

I hope to god he has a blinder and plays amazing but I'm going to roll my eyes hard when the "class is permanent" brigade come out. Anyway, I hope they do come out because I have a very bad feeling a random Declan Rice shot is gonna bump awkwardly and then we'll concede.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He was up there as the worlds best shot stopper for a period of time but that is why you should never judge keepers or defenders on a few seasons. Hart is another example, and no I'm not saying Hart was ever near De Gea's level but you get the point. A keeper is judged by their errors and the goals they let in rather than saves they make for the most part.

eire-red

Have any of you ever watched De Gea face up a penalty and feel like there's even a chance he'll save it? Or maybe that's just me.

Other than that, he was decent. Not much to do.

Based Adnan

Have any of you ever watched De Gea face up a penalty and feel like there's even a chance he'll save it? Or maybe that's just me.

Last time he saved a penalty was Leighton Baines wasn't it? Like 5 years ago?

TheGodsInRed

When we concede a pen I always assume its a goal. When Schmeichel was in the net there was always a chance he would save it.

De Gea dives the wrong way every time.

Pogba gets the blame though us conceding though. De Gea did play better today.

Djemba-Djemba

Made no mistakes which is a bonus I suppose.

He's got to be the worst keeper in the world when it comes to saving penalties.

Never even goes the right way, he's useless at them

SirScholes

It’s comes to something when de gea is getting grieved for not saving a pen like

made his saves and claimed the ball when needed

RedStarUnited

At this point, he might as well not dive for a pen. He not only goes the wrong way, but it is pathetic.

Godfather

Couldn't believe my eyes when he actually came out for that cross in the 80th minute or so. Wasn't challenged for it of course but still

Alemar

Why is de Gea standing still before a penalty is shot? Guys like Krul make movements on the line at least...

Dominos

Played well thankfully.

However diving the wrong way on every single penalty is hugely annoying. He should start waiting a little longer and diving when it's hit so at least he gives himself a chance of saving one occasionally by going the right way. If he goes the wrong way every time it's impossible for him to save it.

Red00012

Law of Averages a keeper will probably save a pen probably 1/2 out of 10 but feck me he’s a solid 0 every time.

AmanNits04

I can't believe that this place is now criticizing or angry with De gea because he wasn't able to save the penalty. He had a good game, but people need something against him. Seriously!!

El Zoido

As i said, no way has Ole the balls to drop him. He will be sacked before De Gea gets benched. Same next season. It is sad, but expected
Ole does have the balls to drop him, he would sooner replace him than lose his job for fecks sake. It’s difficult though isn’t it, because just “dropping him” could make the situation even worse. The issue is this:

1. We cannot buy a replacement because we can’t have upwards of half a million pounds in goalkeeper wages on our books.

2.We also can’t replace him because of Dean Henderson, who may or may not become our long term #1. If we sign another gk there’s every chance he’ll leave. Henderson probably cannot step up as our #1 yet.

3. Dropping DDG might crush his confidence and make him worse. Now what, Romero is #1? Ongoing rotation every time one of them fecks up? I guarantee you this is worse than backing DDG.

Sick of the jabs at Ole to be honest. Say what you want about him tactically but his man management is solid. He’s making a judgement call to back a player who has played 400 games for us and who has kept as many clean sheets as Peter Schmeichel. As opposed to binning the guy immediately and risking capsizing the ship. Given the circumstances this is absolutely the best way to handle it, this is not an easy situation at all.

Sylar

Couldn't believe my eyes when he actually came out for that cross in the 80th minute or so. Wasn't challenged for it of course but still
It was great right? Not sure why he can't do that more
Even if it's to punch like Casillas used to

Jackal981

Law of Averages a keeper will probably save a pen probably 1/2 out of 10 but feck me he’s a solid 0 every time.
Actually I am confident a lot of members here will score in a pen vs him now :lol: . Hit it low to the side and he has no chance at all even if he guesses right.

midnightmare

I think you’re being subjective and incredibly harsh picking him out for performances where he didn’t cost us the game. He was far from the problem on those nights and most people on the night of it happening wouldn’t have picked De Gea at fault. In fact if you take a look back to the match thread at the time I’m sure you’d see my point. The team cost us not De Gea and I believe you are rewriting the narrative of those games to suit this agenda.

What I mean is that I do not see Henderson or any other PL GK repeating two seasons at that far end of outperforming average metrics. Not that a keeper can’t come in and do well. But there is zero chance Henderson walks in and does as good a job this season.

You can disagree but the same mistakes we fear in De Gea are present in Dean. He might appear confident but he’s not infallible and nowhere near Van Der Sarr’s level who was an incredibly experienced GK at the time not someone in their first season in a major league he had already won the Champions League and won an award for being the best GK in Europe before joining United. It’s a complete joke to compare him to Henderson coming to United Id expect better of you.

Dean Henderson has never had to deal with the negative media spotlight. Look at Pickford for England for example. Great season some great performances and all of a sudden the spotlight is on and he crumbled he’s a confident lad and even he struggled. It’s not as clear cut as you’d like to make out.

If you read my actual views you’d note I’m very happy to replace De Gea. I’ve said several times he’s been ok this season but below expectation but again rather than acknowledge my actual views it’s easier to try to paint me as a De Gea lover or someone who has forgotten Ferguson which is also a complete joke.

We weren’t so brutal as to remove a player without a plan to replace them. That’s just stupid and currently Henderson hasn’t proven he’s ready to replace De Gea. He is getting there but not quite.

De Gea hasnt contributed nothing this season or we would not have the second best defence in the league with an impressive recent form of 19 games unbeaten with many a clean sheet.

It’s not a case of stick with the devil you know but a case of you need a WC Gk. Henderson isn’t that. If you suggested Oblak it would be no contest and I’d pay for De Gea’s flights. Players have bad seasons and sometimes a bit of faith is better than casting everyone aside for the next and shinier toy.

Now for what I actually believe:

1. De Gea is performing ok he’s not outstanding and this would concern me if we were losing lots of points because of him or if our defensive record was poor. As it’s not I don’t see a huge issue giving him one more season while Henderson develops.

2. I think a lot of wishful thinking about Henderson has been going on in here and nobody has sought to criticise any of his mistakes yet people are actively pursuing De Gea for things that happened two years ago. I don’t think this is a fair narrative to pursue even if I don’t think De Gea has been good enough compared to his best.

3. Dean Henderson has had one season of top flight football. This does not fill me with confidence that he has the experience to lead and deal with the pressure, scrutiny and craziness of being our GK. Another season like this or a solid performance as our No2 next season and he’d be in a much better position to stake a solid claim.

4. Of course I’m grateful to De Gea for previous seasons aren’t you? But that doesn’t mean I’ll blindly support him if there is a serious issue. I don’t believe the issue is pressing enough to focus on when we need a RW and CB far more than we need to worry about a GK.

Dont talk as if you know the mind of Sir Alex he we the one who signed De Gea and kept faith in him whilst he made mistakes.
Over time, players tend to their means. This doesn't have to be the average of average players, but each player has a career that will tend to resemble a normal curve. Now, a normal curve may be steep (short peak) or wide (longer "peak") but a normal curve is a given. The timing of the peak could vary too, but as you start charting the peak years of a large number of players as well, you will start to see a normal curve in that too, leading to the "typical best years". Sure, there may be the odd exception, but this is the norm.

Now, with DdG, we tend to be absolutely blinded by a 2017-18 season that was fantastic beyond what we've seen from our keepers. His shot-stopping was so good, we actually forgave the fact that his distribution had regressed from an already low starting base and he'd just never worked at all on crosses etc. So, I decided to just look at the wider picture - looking at the data before and after his peak.

From data that is available, it looks like this:
First, the simple metric - the save %; here, you'll observe an almighty spike in 2017/18, but shockingly, there isn't really much to choose from the other years.

GASavesSave %
2019-20
35​
91​
72.22%​
2018-19
54​
122​
69.32%​
2017-18
28​
115​
80.42%
2016-17
29​
74​
71.84%​
2015-16
33​
83​
71.55%​
2014-15
36​
93​
72.09%​
2013-14
43​
99​
69.72%​
2012-13
26​
84​
76.36%​
2011-12
29​
102​
77.86%​

Now move into the xGA numbers. Here, unfortunately, we don't have xGA numbers across his full stint with us, so I'll go with what we do have. Note though that 2015-16 contains 2 GA in games he didn't play. Hence the difference with the numbers above. Still, it's representative, and I can't isolate the data, so I've kept it in:

GAxGADiff
2019-20
35​
36.01​
1.01​
2018-19
54​
52.3​
-1.70​
2017-18
28​
43.54​
15.54​
2016-17
29​
31.62​
2.62​
2015-16*
35​
39.66​
4.66​
2014-15
36​
39.84​
3.84​

Now, this paints a very similar - and almost bleaker really - picture. DdG wasn't a superhuman beast throughout. He was exceptional in one year and above average for the 3 years before - but has been average or below average since. It is, in my opinion, rare beyond measure for a player to hit a peak in one season, then decline to his mean and then regain that prior peak after a couple of years of average performance. I can't honestly think of a player who has done that. I exclude of course, young players who have a breakout season, a lull and then hit their strides. That is normal. Here though, we're talking of a player with a decade of playing experience. Sorry. Doesn't seem likely to me.

Now, to the next point. How then does this narrative of "He's actually only had 1 or 1 and a half truly exceptional seasons" align with the "He's been our PoTS for years". For that, I think we should ask the following and be honest:

1. Did Peter Schmeichel or Edwin van der Sar ever win these? They were absolute beasts. The latter held that clean sheet streak record. They often kept out barrages of opposition attempts in 1-0 wins. So why did DdG win so many and those two not win one between them?
Because as a team, we were horrid all over the pitch. Keepers should not be noticed unless they make mistakes. David de Gea won PotS without winning the Golden Glove most seasons. He's only won the GG once. Yup, in 2017/18. It's just that we were so uniformly horrid everywhere else across the pitch that DdG was the default winner for just "not being utterly crap". The one time we actually had an optimistic and sort of competent season (2016-17), it wasn't him that won. Despite his having a very good season in goal and conceding just 29 goals (I think he missed the GG on the last day of the season in this one IIRC). So no, his PotS awards don't prove he was out-of-this-world brilliant. Just that the rest of the team was crap. That's why keepers don't win the top awards.

2. Could we have (shock, horror) overestimated him in light of who the other keepers were in the PL and his Madrid transfer saga?

Of course there is no objective measure for this - but look at the other keepers in the league during DdG's best years. A declining Cech, Szczęsny, Karius, Mignolet, Hart and Lloris are the main ones that spring to mind. Which of those screams out "great keeper"? DdG was never unanimously considered the "best keeper in the world" outside England / the Premier League. The Spanish didn't rate him, the Germans looked at the Bayern goal and scoffed and so on. Then there was the transfer saga - where every United fan was left just being grateful he stayed. This was followed immediately by his golden period and boom, legacy sealed.

Now, I am not trying to say here that DdG has not been a super player for us and I am not playing down what he's achieved for us either. I am just saying that his peak is done and gone and we will now not see any striking improvement. I don't think it is reasonable therefore to say that we should trust him to regain his peak. It flies in the face of data. He's gone through his peak and not worked on areas that could have enabled him to prolong his stay at the top once the exceptional shot-stopping went. He didn't improve (actually managed to regress) on distribution and stayed as poor as before on commanding even his 6-year box, leave along penalty area. He's not the most vocal and clearly the marshaling of defence is done by the CBs (Maguire now) and not the keeper (look back to EvdS and Schmeichel and contrast).

In light of all this, I absolutely do not expect DdG to be back to his best. The best we can hope for now is just that he doesn't keep dropping a bollock so regularly. Oh and yes, Fergie stuck by DdG through his mistakes? Revisionism. DdG was dropped and there was speculation that he was done. An injury to Anders got DdG back and he'd sorted himself out to an extent. He could however be said to be a major factor in costing us that PL title. He admits himself that he was close to done and had thought of leaving that season itself. It was his epic save from Mata that turned it around for him - in a game he only started because Lindegaard was injured!

Fergie allowed him a second chance because he was young. He didn't afford such chances to seniors - but did make allowances for youth. And this is where I'll end. By saying that if Henderson and DdG even made identical errors, I'd give more leeway to Dean - because with growth and evolution, he's likely to cut those out, while with DdG, with age and decline, those will accelerate.

Highfather_24

^^Thats a revisionist narrative. De Gea was one the best in the world from 13-14 to 17-18, and for a couple of years was inarguably the best goalkeeper in the world. His consistency was unbelievable. His reflexes, and agility, second to none. Yes he is very inconsistent for the last couple of years, but lets not rewrite history.

People here were literally begging for him to stay here for many years.

Kostov

Solid game, and I think it was an excellent save for that Bowen deflected shot. Regarding the penalty, I have no confidence in him saving one, it's been a while.

midnightmare

^^Thats a revisionist narrative. De Gea was one the best in the world from 13-14 to 17-18, and for a couple of years was inarguably the best goalkeeper in the world. His consistency was unbelievable. His reflexes, and agility, second to none. Yes he is very inconsistent for the last couple of years, but lets not rewrite history.

People here were literally begging for him to stay here for many years.
I stand by what I said. He was very good indeed, specially for us. But wasn't "unarguably the best goalkeeper in the world". Look up Neuer, Manuel for starters. Look up also the small matter of Buffon in that period. DdG was called the "best shot-stopper" but was never rated "best keeper", specially not across the entire period - by anyone barring us United fans. In 2017-18, his shot-stopping hit a level that made even those outside our fan base overlook his other deficiencies or say that it was so good that it surpassed any deficiencies to make him the best. But to contend that he was "unarguably" the best is, tribal a the least. In 2014-15 for example, he wasn't even being discussed as best goalkeeper.

Classical Mechanic

I stand by what I said. He was very good indeed, specially for us. But wasn't "unarguably the best goalkeeper in the world". Look up Neuer, Manuel for starters. Look up also the small matter of Buffon in that period. DdG was called the "best shot-stopper" but was never rated "best keeper", specially not across the entire period - by anyone barring us United fans. In 2017-18, his shot-stopping hit a level that made even those outside our fan base overlook his other deficiencies or say that it was so good that it surpassed any deficiencies to make him the best. But to contend that he was "unarguably" the best is, tribal a the least. In 2014-15 for example, he wasn't even being discussed as best goalkeeper.
I think this is a fair assessment. Its reflected in the World Team of the Year voted for by his fellow pros. 2017/18 is the only season he's been voted in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFPro#FIFA_FIFPro_Men's_World11

Mcking

You knew the penalty was going to go to Antonio's right, and you also knew De Gea was going to dive to his right side. Unsuprisingly, both happened.

He dives to his right every single time. I could easily score multiple penalties past him without missing.

midnightmare

You knew the penalty was going to go to Antonio's right, and you also knew De Gea was going to dive to his right side. Unsuprisingly, both happened.

He dives to his right every single time. I could easily score multiple penalties past him without missing.
I don't expect him to save a penalty. Penalty saves are always a very low % chance for keepers, but after Golovin's penalty at the WC, I just gave up entirely. If you can't save that, there's no chance.

Let me say it though. I don't think a club's #1 should be assessed on this. It's ok. I would be fine with his letting through literally every penalty as long as he was supreme in other areas which are more required for general play. Clubs like us (the ones aiming to dominate) should not face many penalties anyway in a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.