Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He had nothing to do in this game. I don't know why this thread is bumped. Two mistakes from the defence, not his fault.
I agree. Seville offered nothing except their two clinical finishes, both created by our defensive lethargy.

Ddg had literally nothing to do except pick out ball from net for goals that weren’t his fault and impossible to save.

Name Changed

weso26
Don't think he did much wrong today and I'm one of his biggest critics.
Same but I thought he was poor for the first. Alisson saves it. Oblak saves it. Ederson saves it. You cannot try to save that with your feet. Dive hands first and it shouldn't go in

The Irish Connection

There are keepers who would have got to the cross from which Sevilla scored their 2nd goal, as it landed inside the 6 yard box. Obviously, it is unrealistic to expect De Gea to even attempt to do so.
I thought so too. He could have come and punched clear even. Shaw most likely would have blocked the cross too though.

M16Red

Same but I thought he was poor for the first. Alisson saves it. Oblak saves it. Ederson saves it. You cannot try to save that with your feet. Dive hands first and it shouldn't go in
I don't know if they would have saved that shot, but using his feet other than his full body to block that shot was a mistake, his communication is a bit of a problem as well.

el3mel

I see the point but at the end the goal was an absolute disaster from AWB, Maguire and Williams so blaming him for it would have been a little bit harsh for me.

Name Changed

weso26
I don't know if they would have saved that shot, but using his feet other than his full body to block that shot was a mistake, his communication is a bit of a problem as well.
I suppose nobody could ever know if he dived with his hands if he would save it. He got nowhere near it though
It was his post

Maybe I am.being harsh

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
There is absolutely no way he should be blamed in any way shape or form for the goal.

Someone in the matchday thread said he was 'beaten at his near post' :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I knew he'd be blamed for the goals because he is I think blamed for every single goal he concedes, it's ridiculous.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There is absolutely no way he should be blamed in any way shape or form for the goal.

How can he be beaten at his near post? The cross came from the other side for feck's sake :lol:

ReallyUSA

Saw that too. Nothing he could do for either goal. Ball slid past 100 million dollars, and the second one his defenders left him out to dry. Maybe De Gea who was a freak of nature could've got it, but that's just not who he is anymore. He isn't a bad keeper. You would expect things to get easier for him with all the money spent, but I digress.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He was beaten at his near post?
Someone believed that because the first goal ultimately came from a narrow angle, it meant he was beaten at his near post, disregarding the fact that it was crossed from the other side.

Laughable to say the least.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dont think he was , doubt he could do anything about both goals . I was too busy looking at the shambles of our defenders to pay any attention to De Gea
2nd goal near post?

Why wouldn't he be able to do anything? Were both goals out of his reach? Both weren't his mistakes, but surely he could do better.

@GifLord

hmchan

I think that's harsh. It became quite evident that we weren't comfortable taking it short from goalkicks, and with that front 4 we're not going to win anything in the air either.
This isn't necessarily true. Liverpool and City forwards often collect long passes from their keepers and they are not big either. It's all about distribution, timing of the paas and the technique to bring the ball down. Eventually we'll have to improve in this aspect if we aim for the title, because it's impossible to play it short all the time and Barca was an example.

Name Changed

weso26
Someone believed that because the first goal ultimately came from a narrow angle, it meant he was beaten at his near post, disregarding the fact that it was crossed from the other side.

Laughable to say the least.
What? At the time the shop was taken, it was his near post ? If there are new definitions for near and far that I am not aware of then that's my bad.

lsd

The Oracle
2nd goal near post?

Why wouldn't he be able to do anything? Were both goals out of his reach? Both weren't his mistakes, but surely he could do better.

@GifLord

Thats not getting beat at your near post.

To get beat at your near post you have to be standing covering the near post at the time of the shot which he clearly isn't as he is scrambling across having no help at all from his defence in dealing with the pass across the goal .

How on earth do you think he could have dealt with any better ?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not a chance to save these when defense gives so much space for finishers.

Doubt Romero & Henderson would do more with such apathy in the box.

caid

Don't think he did anything wrong for the goals but you'd be disappointed in the De Gea of 2-3 years ago for conceding them. I dont expect him to stop them anymore. Kind of harsh, I'm sure he's well able to bounce back but he's not the keeper he was.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thats not getting beat at your near post.

To get beat at your near post you have to be standing covering the near post at the time of the shot which he clearly isn't as he is scrambling across having no help at all from his defence in dealing with the pass across the goal .

How on earth do you think he could have dealt with any better ?
By saving them? It's not impossible.

Strelok

This is a bit harsh tbh. Our whole defense was caught off and it was a good and strong finish. I wouldn't blame him for this.

I thought so too. He could have come and punched clear even.
Agreed.

It's a long cross into the six yard box so most keepers would come out to punch the ball away. But it's DDG so well.

It's so fecking strange to me that none of our defender or keeper did a sht when that cross come in. They just stand there letting their striker tap the ball in. Like they didn't exist at all. So strange and so weird.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What? At the time the shop was taken, it was his near post ? If there are new definitions for near and far that I am not aware of then that's my bad.
No. In that context the near post is when the cross is made, the cross is made to the far post. De Gea is moving from the near post(the one on the side of the cross) to the far post and beaten there. It's the near post for the shooter but the far post for De Gea.

And to make it even more confusing the far post would have become the near post if Suso had controlled the ball and let De Gea finish is move from one post to the other.

hmchan

This is a bit harsh tbh. Our whole defense was caught off and it was a good and strong finish. I wouldn't blame him for this.

Agreed.

It's a long cross into the six yard box so most keepers would come out to punch the ball away. But it's DDG so well.

It's so fecking strange to me that none of our defender or keeper did a sht when that cross come in. They just stand there letting their striker tap the ball in. Like they didn't exist at all. So strange and so weird.
Agreed. We've been so used to it that people no longer expect de Gea to come out and catch/punch crosses.

jeff_goldblum

Harsh to fault De Gea for the first one, Suso could have put it either side of him and he put himself in a position where he had a chance at getting to it either way. If De Gea had come across to cover the near post and Suso had rolled it into the space he'd just vacated he'd be getting dog's abuse.

The second was poor goalkeeping and sums up one of De Gea's massive weaknesses. As usual, he stuck to his line in a situation where most keepers would have stepped out and cut out/deflected the cross. No excuses for the poor defending, but flawed defenders will make more mistakes if you give them more to do, and De Gea's unwillingness to take responsibility for even the 6 yards directly in front of his goal means the defence have to pick up a lot of slack. Top teams shouldn't have to pick their centrebacks purely on the basis on how good they are at last-ditch defending to make up for their goalkeeper abdicating half of his job.

Squeaky Bumtime

1st goal, poor positioning he was late to cover his post and conceded so could have done better.
2nd goal he could have punch it but you even dont expect him to do it with the high balls near his 5 m area..

Paul_Scholes18

We bring him in for the semi finals and then we are out. Bad influence on the team?
With Romero we might have won!

Giggsyking

The second goal, I saw Romero jump on these crosses and box these ball specially when there is only one player in the box. It is not difficult to predict where the ball is going, but this keeper, no, he is stuck on his line, cant wait to see him sold if there is any club naive enough to to buy him.

Giggsyking

We bring him in for the semi finals and then we are out. Bad influence on the team?
With Romero we might have won!
No doubt about that, the second goal Romero would have picked the cross, and in general Romero organizes the defense better than De Gea.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he bothered to come for crosses he would have caught/punched the cross for the second goal clear. The goal is not his fault but it shows a weakness of his

Born2Lose

I can't help feeling that a true world class goalie in all aspects comes out and punches the ball for the second goal. Been spoilt watching Schmeichel and VdS for so long.

lex talionis

Dave can't be blamed for either goal. He's had a poor season, we all know that, but to pile shit on him for yesterday is absurd.

That said, Romero should have gotten the start yesterday. He's been our keeper for the EL and hasn't done a whole lot wrong.

UncleBob

I may be smart, but I can't do miracle.
Maybe you are, though your posts suggests otherwise.

The first goal isn't all that difficult to break down. As soon as the ball is played in behind to Reguilon, De Gea looks up to see if there are players making runs that he has to be aware of and sees the Sevilla player down the middle, he then has to position himself close to the post in case Reguilon goes for a shot instead of crossing it. Reguilon crosses it low, De Gea has to stop briefly and look up to see if the Sevilla player in the middle gets on it or not, then has to rush over and attempt to position himself for a shot from 6 yards out..Suso hits it will and there's plenty of power on it.

Obviously he can gamble and dive before Suso hits it, but would look like a proper twat if the ball rolled down the middle and he jumps away from it...

So no, there's nothing wrong with the goalkeeping for Sevillas first goal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe you are, though your posts suggests otherwise.

The first goal isn't all that difficult to break down. As soon as the ball is played in behind to Reguilon, De Gea looks up to see if there are players making runs that he has to be aware of and sees the Sevilla player down the middle, he then has to position himself close to the post in case Reguilon goes for a shot instead of crossing it. Reguilon crosses it low, De Gea has to stop briefly and look up to see if the Sevilla player in the middle gets on it or not, then has to rush over and attempt to position himself for a shot from 6 yards out..Suso hits it will and there's plenty of power on it.

Obviously he can gamble and dive before Suso hits it, but would look like a proper twat if the ball rolled down the middle and he jumps away from it...

So no, there's nothing wrong with the goalkeeping for Sevillas first goal.
Who said he did something wrong? I didn't.

It's just the statement that there's nothing he could do for the goal, is plain wrong. It's not an impossible shot to save.

Status
Not open for further replies.