Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

2 years ago he saves that, or is that too simplistic and reactionary?

Strats

Not the reason why we lost, however don't understand why he positioned himself so far to the right before the free kick was taken. One more yard to the left and he saves it.

mkso

I feel strange, when you see his movement you thought he could save the free kick.

Stadjer

Should have used his top hand, would have easily parried it away.
Even if he saved that it wouldnt have been ''easy''. Maybe he would have stopped it some years ago when he was superhuman but i think it is a bit much to blame him for todays goals.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That wouldn’t have been a ‘superhuman’ save, the shot was not that well hit. I hate to think that DDG might not be able to make such a save in the regular, but we might be there.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Another flaw in the goal was the set up of the wall. Why the feck was our shortest player on the near post side of the wall? Completely improper way to set up a wall. We could at least try to not contribute to the goal.

Mcking

Another flaw in the goal was the set up of the wall. Why the feck was our shortest player on the near post side of the wall? Completely improper way to set up a wall. We could at least try to not contribute to the goal.
We didn't have many tall players on the pitch tbh. Who was the shortest player?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We didn't have many tall players on the pitch tbh. Who was the shortest player?
Just look at the wall, the tallest player was positioned on the middle of the goal (when looking at the goal). I can’t tell who exactly is in the wall as the video is a bit blurry, but it is pretty drastic, the change in height.

It went, from left to right when facing the goal, Maguire, McTominay, Lindelöf, Young.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Keane has never been convinced with De Gea and doesn't believe he's commanding enough.

LInkash

In the last year, I'm not sure if he's even in the top 10 keepers in the league.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is there some stat about free kick goals conceeded by keepers?

I don't think he should be blamed too much for today's, but I swear we conceede too many direct free kick goals every year for some reason. We also conceede free kicks from random players that will probably never again score free kick goal, or any goal at all. Weird.

LInkash

Who are the top 10?
I'm not oingg to start listing them but basically de Gea hasn't really done too much special recently. Well, anything special has been offset by big blunders so along with his lack of command and average distribution, he's not offering much more than your average keeper.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Didn't Defour score a freekick too, not so long ago? Probably someone else too.

Ban

I'm not oingg to start listing them but basically de Gea hasn't really done too much special recently. Well, anything special has been offset by big blunders so along with his lack of command and average distribution, he's not offering much more than your average keeper.
Didnt think you would.

Classical Mechanic

Keane has never been convinced with De Gea and doesn't believe he's commanding enough.

Totally agree with Keane. Take away the amazing shot stopping and you’re left with a below average keeper. It was refreshing to see Romero on Thursday come out of his box and deal with a loose ball.

meninred

i also felt he was bit far to the right and bit slow in reacting as well. This wont be a goal a few years back with his ability.

RooneyLegend

He made a huge effort to save that, sadly only got fingertips to it. No way you can blame him for not saving it.

Sylar

Never been convinced yet in 2015 said he's the world's best keeper so...

But overall this was my issue with ddg contract. We didn't need to make him top earner (altho he deserved that a few years ago however given it didn't happen then not sure why it's happening on the back of a bad year).

Also I think ddg needs to go with his other hand today. He normally does so not sure why he didn't this time. If he reaches around with his right hand he keeps that out

However that wasn't the reason we lost. First he could do nothing about and we weren't scoring anyway

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On top form he probably saves it, but bit harsh to blame him there IMO.

UncleBob

Selective memory i suppose. One year ago he was considered (and rightly so) one of the main reasons we finished 2nd, Mourinho hailed him as the best keeper in the world and expected him to sign a new contract imminently, thanking him and his agent for not making a fuss about his contract situation. Something he repeated in november 2018 as well.

And it's not like the majority of the big doors were closed either.

It would have been a bit more interesting if one of the other pundits asked Mourinho why De Gea went from basically signing the contract at the start of the season, to the point of considering a move abroad shortly after, but hey.

Unfortunately we were hardly in an ideal situation to tell De Gea to sod off with his demands. There's still several big clubs that would hardly turn down the chance to sign him, especially on a free, Juventus anyone ? We'd have to pay an obscene transfer fee to replace him, and it's not like that guarantees us anything.

Fracture90

Last 18 months he's not been his usual self, and I'm hoping that he will reinvigorate his form now that the contract situation has been resolved. Imo he should have done better with defending that free-kick. Props to Creswell though, it was an amazing free-kick and he offset DDG a bit with the previous free-kick which he sent into DDG's side, which imo ultimately effected DDG's line of thinking and his reaction to the goal free-kick.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Blaming him for that free kick is a bit much, especially since he made some other good saves. It was 50-50 on whether even a gret keeper could keep it out. It wasn't as accurate as the famous one from Mata, but was hit much faster.
Just watch highlights from any other PL game to see what DDG gets crucified for versus what happens every week in the PL.

UncleBob

Last 18 months he's not been his usual self, and I'm hoping that he will reinvigorate his form now that the contract situation has been resolved. Imo he should have done better with defending that free-kick. Props to Creswell though, it was an amazing free-kick and he offset DDG a bit with the previous free-kick which he sent into DDG's side, which imo ultimately effected DDG's line of thinking and his reaction to the goal free-kick.
Eh ?

UncleBob

18 months - year and a half.
Well thank you, i never fully understood how many months there are in one year, though i must admit that i was more curious about your claim about De Gea "not having been his usual self" for the past 18 months (or 1,5 year, for that matter), considering that it involves the last half of the season where we finished with a GA that was almost 16 goals less than our xGA, with De Gea generally being the main reason for us not leaking goal after goal.

There were extremely few complaints about his general form last season, up until the point where he started making the obvious mistakes.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't blame him for the free-kick, but his performances are just not top drawer any more. I'm convinced he's on the decline and I also suspect his motivation will also decline now. He has now resigned himself to being here forever, when he clearly had an interest in moving to Madrid or somewhere to compete for trophies. That alone would have motivated him to keep performing to a high level in case Madrid came in for him - those days are done now. He has no real reason to perform out of his skin anymore, even if he is capable of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.